FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1419238 --- 09/27/13 09:27 PM Abigail's - awful
rhysmay Offline

Loc: New york USA
We had reservations for a table of 10 to celebrate an 85th birthday. We were shown the table and waited 25 minutes for a waitress, who then announced that they were out of several specials including prime rib (this was 7 pm). Yes, I admit the place was busy. They had run out of some foods on the salad bar including baked chicken, meatballs and other things. they brought out a bunch of chicken wings and dumped some BBQ sauce on them and some meatballs that were so salty we could not eat them. When our order was finally taken - we waited a little more than an hour to get the food. We were never asked if we wanted refills on drinks such as iced tea. One of the party was a 96 yr old woman whose medicine was timed to an earlier mealtime. One was a diabetic who could not take her insulin because the meal was so slow in coming. most of the party by that time just asked for their entree to be boxed and left with it because they did not want dinner at 9 pm for a 6:30 reservation.

Yes, I know the answer - don't go back - and that is just what will happen - not again.

FingerLakes1.com
#1419240 --- 09/27/13 09:48 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
Little Wing Offline

Loc: Trash country, U.S.A.
Every time I have gone to Abigail's I have gotten a delicious meal, and timely, friendly service. It's a Friday night and they were busy, what do you honestly expect? Maybe next time don't bring the entire nursing home with you.

#1419246 --- 09/27/13 10:19 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Little Wing]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Little Wing
Every time I have gone to Abigail's I have gotten a delicious meal, and timely, friendly service. It's a Friday night and they were busy, what do you honestly expect? Maybe next time don't bring the entire nursing home with you.

That was VERY RUDE and uncalled for.
If I have 630 reservations, I would expect to have dinner served by 730. If that can't be done, there is an issue with the establishment!

#1419247 --- 09/27/13 10:21 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
Carerinoa Offline

You should also call and voice your displeasure. Posting it on these forums will get you nowhere.

#1419250 --- 09/27/13 10:34 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Carerinoa]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I have stopped going there. The portions are small. One waitress in particular is really rude. The buffet lacks in choice and quality and they are not really a bargain to go to for dinner or lunch.

#1419252 --- 09/27/13 11:00 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Little Wing]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: Little Wing

You're a idiot!

#1419259 --- 09/27/13 11:57 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: de1]
Little Wing Offline

hurrr am I en idiut dump employee 1??!?!

Learn elementary grammar. It's "You're AN idiot".

#1419260 --- 09/27/13 11:58 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Little Wing Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr. Sarcassm Esq
I have stopped going there. The portions are small. One waitress in particular is really rude. The buffet lacks in choice and quality and they are not really a bargain to go to for dinner or lunch.

I think you'd appreciate Micky D's more anyway.

#1419265 --- 09/28/13 12:13 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Little Wing]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Only because I enjoy seeing you ask me if I would like fries with my order. How much food does MCD's let you take home to your mother and father. Do they eat upstairs while you eat in the basement apartment?

#1419275 --- 09/28/13 04:19 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: de1]
Pedroia 15 Offline

Loc: Ny
Nice view of the landfill though

#1419278 --- 09/28/13 05:40 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
why us Offline

Loc: NY
Went to Nonna's in geneva last night, the food and staff were EXCELLENT. If you like seafood, try the seafood pasta. Looking forward to going on my 50th b-day next week.

#1419281 --- 09/28/13 06:22 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
teedoff27 Offline

Loc: S2Hphoto
Personally I would of ask to speak to the manager right then and there and give them an opportunity to correct the problem. If my need weren't met....then and only then would I come on the forum to bellyache about it.

We had a similar problem with the Ramada in Geneva for their Father's Day steak and clam bake 2012. We spoke to the manager and they apologized profusely. Not only did our service improve, but they also credited all 8 of our meals.

#1419288 --- 09/28/13 07:45 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: teedoff27]
tag2 Offline

I agree teedoff27. Speak to the manager/owner immediately. We had a problem with the new Japanese restaurant in Geneva. We went on a Friday night (mistake on our part). The service was fast enough, the wait staff was good but my chicken was overcooked and dry. My daughter went to the manager/owner and he was very apologetic and gave us a large discount on the meal. I took the leftovers home and made chicken salad with it the next day. We'll give them another try for either lunch or another evening meal (not Friday).

#1419327 --- 09/28/13 11:39 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: tag2]
Frisco kid Offline

Loc: Constantia NY
Why was the thread about Penny's Place moved to the kitchen counter forum? and not this one too?

#1419371 --- 09/28/13 04:46 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
Oldgzr Offline

rhysmay, was that your first visit to Abigail's? In my experience with them I would not rate them "awful". My rating judging from numerous visits over the many years that they've been in business would be generally good but inconsistent. I have had some excellent meals there, a few that were mediocre and a couple that were just dreadful. My favorites are either Emile's in Border City or Curley's, Lasca's or The Hollywood in Auburn. I've never had a bad meal in any of those places.

#1419376 --- 09/28/13 05:39 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Oldgzr]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
Ive had a bad meal at Emile's, but have to agree with Curleys or Lasca's. Haven't been to the Hollywood in about 30 yrs.

#1419393 --- 09/28/13 07:01 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: sassyone]
Convince Me 2 Offline

If the place is so bad, why was it so busy? Granted, they got slammed last night, obviously unexpected. I have never had a bad meal and usually had to take home leftovers. You must eat like a horse if you think portions are small. Best prime rib around. Great seafood dishes. Very friendly wait staff. Only negative thing is they need to update their menu and weekend specials.

#1419398 --- 09/28/13 07:09 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: sassyone]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: sassyone
Ive had a bad meal at Emile's, but have to agree with Curleys or Lasca's. Haven't been to the Hollywood in about 30 yrs.

Curly's is OK, haven't been to Lasca's, but The Hollywood is excellent!

#1419449 --- 09/29/13 01:33 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Convince Me 2]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Convince Me 2
If the place is so bad, why was it so busy? Granted, they got slammed last night, obviously unexpected. I have never had a bad meal and usually had to take home leftovers. You must eat like a horse if you think portions are small. Best prime rib around. Great seafood dishes. Very friendly wait staff. Only negative thing is they need to update their menu and weekend specials.

I never said anything about small portions.

#1419450 --- 09/29/13 01:34 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Josephus]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Josephus

You need to go to Lasca's sometime Josephus.

#1419451 --- 09/29/13 01:35 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: sassyone]
Little Wing Offline

Lasca's is amazing.

#1419459 --- 09/29/13 06:03 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Little Wing]
rhysmay Offline

Loc: New york USA
Re: Little wing.

FYI, not all of our party were "nursing home". That was very discourteous to elderly people. Aging and it challenges are hard enough without mean-spirited people like yourself making these comments.

And - we did complain to the person whom we were told was the "manager" right then and there - before I posted here.

#1419479 --- 09/29/13 09:50 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: sassyone]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

You need to go to Lasca's sometime Josephus.

Lasca's may be my favorite local restaurant.

#1419516 --- 09/29/13 02:37 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: twocats]
angelaboveme Offline

I went to Abigail's for the first time this last year (I have lived here 25 years+) and I really didn't see that it was anything terribly special. The service was decent and the waitress friendly, the food was okay, but nothing as extraordinary as I expected having heard people talk about it all these years.
I did notice that it seemed to have a very "regular" crowd who seemed to be enjoying themselves. I wouldn't go back though given the prices being quite high IMO for what was being offered.

#1419519 --- 09/29/13 05:19 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Little Wing]
ProAct Offline

Loc: New York State, Seneca County
If you live long enough, you will be an elderly, also. Maybe even a nursing home one.

#1419520 --- 09/29/13 05:25 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: ProAct]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: ProAct
If you live long enough, you will be an elderly, also. Maybe even a nursing home one.

As they say, "Never complain about growing old; many never get the privilege."

#1419545 --- 09/30/13 07:22 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: angelaboveme]
Monte Cristo Offline

Loc: Seneca County
You went to Abigail's for the 1st time after living here 25+ years? Thanks a lot for supporting the local businesses. I'm betting you like Mickey D's and BK just fine.

#1419555 --- 09/30/13 09:21 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Monte Cristo]
Sunny22 Offline

Loc: Noneya
Abigals is not what it used to be. I recently had there veal parm and it was by far the worst veal I have ever had. It was tuff and not very easy to even cut with a knife, that was when I said enough is enough with that place. Because the last time I made a complaint I was pretty much told I didn't know what I was talking about. I now spend my money at balloons family restaurant in auburn. Probably some of the best food you can ask for, for the price. Out of 5 stars abigals gets a half star for an overall rating.

#1419565 --- 09/30/13 11:15 AM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: Sunny22]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
Gee, I had the same meal (veal)last week and it was delicious, tender and tasty, breaded nicely. Salad bar was well stocked, the soup was good. Wait staff were very courteous, efficient and friendly.

#1419567 --- 09/30/13 11:46 AM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: Jelloshot]
Sketch Offline

Talk to Woody @ Abigails. He'll take care of you. I don't blame you for being upset.

#1419582 --- 09/30/13 02:02 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Monte Cristo]
angelaboveme Offline

You certainly are special.

#1419589 --- 09/30/13 03:13 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: sassyone]
Lee Alias Offline

Loc: NY,Seneca, Seneca Falls
Let's face it Waterloo & Seneca Falls does not have "Fine" dinning....like Auburn. They have good eating places Parker's, Deer Head (hit & miss), Connies, McGee Diner, Ciccino's, however not "Fine". As a professional person we used Abigails for a business lunch because it was close (to our company) & the food was fair/good. The Gould/Clarence poor food selection, taste fair & pricey!!!

#1419612 --- 09/30/13 05:53 PM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: Sketch]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Sketch
Talk to Woody @ Abigails. He'll take care of you. I don't blame you for being upset.

But why talk to him. Jelloshot said her meal was good.

#1419626 --- 09/30/13 06:53 PM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: sassyone]
Frisco kid Offline

LOL Jelloshot is a "he".

#1419659 --- 09/30/13 10:02 PM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: Jelloshot]
Sunny22 Offline

Loc: Noneya
Nothing against you, I have had worse veal, but that veal at abigals tasted like it was in the walk-in freezer for way to long. I have ate a fair amount of food at restauraunts over the years especially veal parm, and you can tell fresh from frozen or the quality that varies from place to place. When veal is very tough like I had at my last meal there it seemed to me like very cheap and possibly frozen. For any chef to say they cook food like I ate that day or the line cook should be ashamed if they call themselves a chef! For the money you dish out for meals there it should all be fresh, I'm sorry but it is not fresh food.

#1419677 --- 10/01/13 05:09 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Sunny22]
seneca dad22 Offline

Originally Posted By: Sunny22
Abigals is not what it used to be. I recently had there veal parm and it was by far the worst veal I have ever had. It was tuff and not very easy to even cut with a knife, that was when I said enough is enough with that place. Because the last time I made a complaint I was pretty much told I didn't know what I was talking about. I now spend my money at balloons family restaurant in auburn. Probably some of the best food you can ask for, for the price. Out of 5 stars abigals gets a half star for an overall rating.

And you get an F for grammar.
If you think veal parm is a standard and judge your restaurant choices on that then I feel very sorry for you. You have NO idea what fresh food is. Have you heard of farm to table or let's say eating the fifth quarter- you'll have to look that one up.
None of you know anything about food period. There are no real restaurants in this area. You have to go to Rochester for a real meal in a real restaurant. Then maybe you can justify your ignorance.

#1419703 --- 10/01/13 09:42 AM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: sassyone]
Sketch Offline

Wha? Put down the smokes.

#1419720 --- 10/01/13 11:56 AM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: Sketch]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

What? See I even put in the "T" so you would know what I mean.
I don't know why you are confused. You responded to Jelloshot to talk to Woody, when Jelloshot said HIS meal was fine.
Jelloshot, sorry, I have no clue on computer whether I am talking to a male or female. No way for me to tell by your post.

#1419824 --- 10/01/13 07:53 PM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: sassyone]
box fan Offline

Loc: wonder land
WOW, I wouldn't come on here and slam a place like that. I would talk to management first. Yes maybe the buffet needs a over haul but the food is generally good as well as the waitstaff..

#1419869 --- 10/02/13 08:04 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
antnee Offline

Loc: new york, usa
Abigail's is terrible. Why doesn't anybody want to say that?

#1419904 --- 10/02/13 09:59 AM Re: Abigail's - yummy! [Re: sassyone]
Sketch Offline

What? See I even put in the "T" so you would know what I mean.
I don't know why you are confused. You responded to Jelloshot to talk to Woody, when Jelloshot said HIS meal was fine.
Jelloshot, sorry, I have no clue on computer whether I am talking to a male or female. No way for me to tell by your post.
-

I was responding to the OP, Sassypantz. If I was concerned about Jelloshot's comment, I would've quoted him. Try to follow forum code, Grandma!

#1419967 --- 10/02/13 05:02 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: antnee]
Monte Cristo Offline

Loc: Seneca County
That may be your opinion but they are the busiest restaurant in the area. The dishwasher job there didn't work out for ya, huh?

#1419984 --- 10/02/13 07:06 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: antnee]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: antnee

Why say it? What do you gain?

#1419988 --- 10/02/13 07:14 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: antnee]
Carerinoa Offline

That's only your opinion. Many others don't see it that way when their parking lot is full 7 days a week. It's not my first choice but I'm not and many others aren't on here bashing them for no reason ... just sayin

#1419993 --- 10/02/13 07:38 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Carerinoa]
Frisco kid Offline

Originally Posted By: Carerinoa

Many others don't see it that way when their parking lot is full 7 days a week.

I would say the parking lot is filled more because of the lack of other choices rather than the offerings of the restaurant.

#1419996 --- 10/02/13 07:41 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Frisco kid]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Frisco kid

I would say the parking lot is filled more because of the lack of other choices rather than the offerings of the restaurant.

And yet, you think people would still go there to spend their hard-earned money if all they served was crap? I can think of at least three or four other restaurants within a 15 minute drive that could serve a comparable meal.

#1419998 --- 10/02/13 07:45 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Josephus]
Frisco kid Offline

And yet, you think people would still go there to spend their hard-earned money if all they served was crap? I can think of at least three or four other restaurants within a 15 minute drive that could serve a comparable meal.

Now wait a minute I didn't call their meals crap you did. In fact up until now I haven't commented on their food. I have always said the food is mediocore and overpriced.

#1420000 --- 10/02/13 07:56 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Frisco kid]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Now wait a minute I didn't call their meals crap you did. In fact up until now I haven't commented on their food. I have always said the food is mediocore and overpriced.

OK... you're right. Someone else called it crap, but you did say that the food is mediocre and overpriced. But the fact remains that there are several other options... not the lack of options as you claim.

#1420129 --- 10/03/13 04:28 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
The Mask Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Hidden Harbor
Originally Posted By: rhysmay

FYI, not all of our party were "nursing home". That was very discourteous to elderly people. Aging and it challenges are hard enough without mean-spirited people like yourself making these comments.

And - we did complain to the person whom we were told was the "manager" right then and there - before I posted here.

Did you tell someone that all these people with special needs were coming?

Edited by The Mask (10/03/13 04:36 PM)

#1420223 --- 10/04/13 10:06 AM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: The Mask]
Sketch Offline

Originally Posted By: The Mask

In what way was that crew 'special needs'?

#1420258 --- 10/04/13 01:52 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Sketch]
Carerinoa Offline

I was wondering that myself ...

#1420275 --- 10/04/13 04:08 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: VM Smith]
antnee Offline

Loc: new york, usa
It's just my opinion VM. I know for sure that other people feel the same way. I have had bad experiences there. Stupid stuff. Like our table of 8 for my father's birthday shacking all over the place while everyone tries to cut their steak that's too tuff to cut. Enough that we don't go there at all anymore. It's just that it seems like some businesses or people are just off limits as far as comments are concerned. I gain by telling it as it is. You do it too. It's fun!

#1420277 --- 10/04/13 04:58 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: antnee]
mikey Offline

Loc: Rochester NY
Wow, when we lived in the area we went to Abigail's every Friday night and had a great meal...like most places, not gourmet but a solid meal.,, I've ordered things I didn't like, but it was my taste not the prep.

I've had better than average steaks there and they do a wonderful job with the salmon specials...

To each his own.

#1420295 --- 10/04/13 07:57 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: Sketch]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Originally Posted By: The Mask

In what way was that crew 'special needs'?

I may be wrong but I believe what was meant was that the people that were coming had needs or requirements outside the ordinary or usual for the restaurant, not that the statement was meant in a pejorative sense but in a practical way. I used to call ahead to restaurants if I brought my grandmother, who was in a wheel chair, to make sure that her needs could be accommodated...special requirements for her seating, etc. Most places do like a heads up if possible.

#1429481 --- 12/16/13 02:36 AM Re: Abigail [Re: sassyone]
Anonymous
Unregistered

ugg bailey buttons if you are looking for faster water and more rapids,
ugg?? ?? ????
Part 3: Grover gets Kermit, The Count, Sully, and an Anything Muppet to hold up a big sign with the number 2 written on it. He generously lets two people go in front of him,
ugg outlet 2012, but then explains that you can't always let everyone go before you, or else you'll never get to the register yourself. When he finally gets to the register and is first in line, the cashier says the register is closed. Grover considers following a customer to a pickle party.
The
ugg sheep skin boot is a practical boot. The sheep skin helps keep feet warm during the cold winter months, and cool during the warm summer months. The comfortable and soft sheep skin fits like a glove and acts like a second skin, helping to maintain the body's temperature. In fact, these boots can keep feet warm even in temperatures as low as 30F. Plus, the wool has natural wicking properties which help draw moisture away from the skin,
ugg ??? ??, and this is what helps to keep the skin dry. Finally, a person's feet should not smell after wearing these
Ugg boots . The wool fleece helps the air inside the boot to circulate which allows the foot to breathe. Of course, there is no guarantee on this claim!
I later discovered that the British
ugg boots are a birthday gift to her sister, but luckily,
???????, she bought boots in her sistera??s birthday that working day, her sister, too. Very humorous genuinely cozy to ask Sienna Miller, and Jennifer Aniston Sarah Jessica Parker. I essentially dwell in them each and every weekend from November to February,
???????ugg emu, but the
ugg low cost outlet have always been specific provide, so I ran my aged twinaged.
Ya, we should all be nicer to visitors asking questions, that is how most of us got here. Most of the first posters are probably not the obsessive compulsive many of us are. It also seems that a lot of the sharper (not in a good way) responses to first posters come from newer members who might have asked something similar not too long ago.
The Celtic Tiger, especially, with its tendency towards lavish central heating and everyone buying a car instead of taking public transport, led to a fall in demand for a good quality, warm coat. Consumers wanted a look, rather than heat, so designers and stores followed where the consumer led and went for style over substance.
And with due respect to Broadway's falling chandeliers, flying cars, descending helicopters and other hightech marvels, the simple flywire that allows Peter Pan to float, glide and hover over the stage is still one of the theater's great effects. The first appearance of Peter Pan, swooping in through the bedroom window, remains in all probability the greatest stage entrance of all time.

#1438696 --- 03/02/14 11:03 PM Re: Abigail [Re: rhysmay]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
Oh boy the stupid boot spam again
Now back to topic

Mask Did you tell someone that all these people with special needs were coming?

Special needs or not all should be treated equal if one want's to run a professional establishment. This is how a business stays in business.

#1438697 --- 03/02/14 11:44 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: antnee]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
It's just my opinion VM. I know for sure that other people feel the same way. I have had bad experiences there. Stupid stuff. Like our table of 8 for my father's birthday shacking all over the place while everyone tries to cut their steak that's too tuff to cut. Enough that we don't go there at all anymore. It's just that it seems like some businesses or people are just off limits as far as comments are concerned. I gain by telling it as it is. You do it too. It's fun!

My question was "What do you gain?". The people who like it, like it, and vice versa, and neither group will change their minds, so what do you gain by criticizing? If you want fun, can't you just pull the wings off flies or something? Or just one wing and a leg?

I don't go, either...but that's because I'm too busy with the flies. There's just one me, and lots of flies...I could use your help...

Political criticism is way different. I figure that if I live long enough...another 100-150 years, say, I can convince a critical mass of people to pull their heads out of their butts, and see the real problem.

Meanwhile, would you grab a leg and yank? Yes we can!

#1442371 --- 03/30/14 10:10 PM Re: Abigail's - awful [Re: rhysmay]
dainty Offline

We love the place. When we have family events like this we go earlier and try to go on a week day or Sunday. I have worked in food service in the past and sometimes things just go awry due to circumstances beyond control.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >