FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 142 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 141 142 >
Topic Options
#1418498 --- 09/23/13 04:41 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: VM Smith]
romulicious Offline

Loc: Romulus, NY
Originally Posted By: VM Smith

Originally Posted By: romulicious
But you have no problem driving a car made elsewhere or watching TV produced elsewhere.

I don't drive, and I watch TV approx. 0 hrs/month, so it's a lot more accurate to say that you have no problem pulling debate points out of your butt.

Say...if I did decide to drive, should I become a trash hauler, so I could do my small part in "leading the way in national issues"?

You are right. I know nothing about you other than what you tell me. Rather than assume, let me ask. Did you build your own computer? Do you consume any packaged goods? Do you throw anything away? Do you take any medications?

It would be wonderful if everyone had a zero footprint in the environment and produced no trash. Waterloo Container would be out of business. Bill Cram and Fucillo would go under. Zoto's would be irrelevant, but at least we wouldn't be contributing to the need for landfills. Kinda similar to not contributing to this discussion.

Trash disposal is a basic human need unless you are not a basic human. As to your opinion on me pulling arguments out of my but, you have a case of the "yeah buts" where no matter what is said, you can counter with "yeah but...I don't even drive you silly person! Got ya there didn't I buddy!"

With over 35000 posts, its understandable that you get more entertainment value out of forums than football. "Yeah but" the need for rational, focused discussion about trash doesn't go away just because you are not completely understood by strangers.

FingerLakes1.com
#1418511 --- 09/23/13 08:30 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: DR. D]
kimmer Offline

Loc: here,there and back again
Originally Posted By: DR. D
Originally Posted By: minni
You seem to ignore the amount of PEOPLE who live NEXT TO the TRACKS! That won't be QUAINT.

The train travelling on train tracks is not unlike the truck travelling on roads. Its to be expected. But each train replaces 100+ trucks. The economic development of the Village of Waterloo is hindered by the extreme truck traffic. Care to have lunch at a sidewalk bistro while watching 50 trucks roar by?

Not so with rail traffic. Let's talk real, today observations and not speculate about the inconvenience of a growth industry on people that live next to the tracks. If this rail traffic were created by Goulds would you still complain? Trash is an import business. Manufacturing is an export business.

The wear Bars don't lie. We need rail to profoundly reduce the negative effects of truck traffic in the most highly populated areas of our county.

Here is a photo taken this morning of the wear bars along Virginia Street due to truck traffic. I could only take this picture on a Sunday morning due to the extreme traffic in downtown Waterloo.

A viewpoint from Dr. D about the street and traffic conditions on Virginia St.:

Without any markers or buildings that could be any street, it sure as heck isnt part of the street around the tracks.. trust me I know. I have been here on Virginia St for years and can look down the street at the tracks and back out onto Virginia St daily. That section would have to be in downtown where all the dumptrucks going well over the speed limit mash on their brakes to stop at the light. The road around the tracks as well as the tracks needs to be fixed(they just quick patched it a few weeks ago and did a horrid job) It is either stomp on the brakes or hit their jake brake a few blocks back to slow down, I hear it everyday its more annoying than the train engineer that blows the wistle to excess. There are no bistro's on the street but I like the idea of having a nice deli locally. Then you have that laundromat smelling like a giant bounce dryer bar on the street making it all pleasent smelling.

You also have to figure that Virginia St has not been resurfaced in well over 15 years and sections of 96 both north and south have been ground down 2 times and repaved since the last this street was done. I am not sure where the excessive traffic is but I counted 5 cars go by in the last 5 minutes.

All and all its a pretty nice street with some really nice historic homes on it.

There is a dip in street before the tracks, it's right there where the picture shows. True, it could be anywhere but there is a dip. As to how it's really caused. Who knows? There's that dip in the street by Goulds that seems to never go away.

#1418512 --- 09/23/13 08:31 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: VM Smith]
Devil's Advocate Offline

Loc: 6th Circle of Hell
Quote:
NIMBY isn't what inspired the underground railroad, memorial day or the women's rights movement. These were about leading the way in national issues.

So, because people helped slaves to freedom, agreed to honor the war dead, and achieved voting rights for women, SF should bring in trash from all over the Northeast and Canada?

How about nuclear waste? That's a pressing national issue. If SF refuses to take nuclear waste, will it be refusing to lead the way on a pressing national issue? Should SF then be faulted for not doing so?

So I take it that you are no longer calling yourself a libertarian?

#1418513 --- 09/23/13 08:32 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
kimmer Offline

" no real brains to recognize that SMI is a good neighbor and we need to deal with the situation. "

YEAH!! Deal with the situation but make sure it all works out for one side only!! Yeah man! My brain is working like yours now buddy!

#1418539 --- 09/23/13 12:20 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: kimmer]
romulicious Offline

Originally Posted By: kimmer
" no real brains to recognize that SMI is a good neighbor and we need to deal with the situation. "

YEAH!! Deal with the situation but make sure it all works out for one side only!! Yeah man! My brain is working like yours now buddy!

I see what you mean kimmer about ugly exchanges on these forums. When we allow ourselves to get enraged, it might be a good time to take a break and catch our breath.

FYI, W Williams is a good distance from the rr tracks. The wear bars extend from 5& 20 north. Truck weight causing grooves in macadam is not uncommon. You seem to have trouble acknowledging an obvious cause to wear bars on Virginia Street. Why is that?

#1418594 --- 09/23/13 08:18 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Deny Deny Deny - Kimmer needs some new meds!

#1418679 --- 09/24/13 12:31 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
By DAVID L. SHAW
dshaw@fltimes.com

WATERLOO — While acknowledging the decision to allow the Seneca Meadows Landfill rail spur project to go forward rests with its neighbor, the Town Board in this Seneca County municipality
expressed its disapproval Monday night.

The Town Board voted 3-1 to oppose the proposed Seneca Meadows project in the neighboring town of Seneca Falls. Supervisor Gary Westfall and board members Herb Meyer and Lisa Hochadel voted in favor of the measure. Don Trout was opposed. Jack Freer abstained.

“The Waterloo Town Board finds that approval of the rail plan will have an adverse effect on townof Waterloo residents,” the motion states. “The rail plan will block the rail crossing on the North Road, which will cause potential problems for first responders and the noise generated by moving rail cars created by the spur. And the spur will have an adverse effect on the residents of the northeast quadrant of the village and town of Waterloo.”

The motion urges the town of Seneca Falls to reconsider its support and asks that it disapprove the project.

After the vote, many in the crowd applauded. Westfall said no one signed up in advance to speak, so there was no public comment. He reiterated that last night was a public meeting, not a public hearing.

Edited by kyle585 (09/24/13 12:41 PM)

#1418683 --- 09/24/13 12:47 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Devil's Advocate]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: Devil's Advocate
Quote:
NIMBY isn't what inspired the underground railroad, memorial day or the women's rights movement. These were about leading the way in national issues.

So, because people helped slaves to freedom, agreed to honor the war dead, and achieved voting rights for women, SF should bring in trash from all over the Northeast and Canada?

How about nuclear waste? That's a pressing national issue. If SF refuses to take nuclear waste, will it be refusing to lead the way on a pressing national issue? Should SF then be faulted for not doing so?

So I take it that you are no longer calling yourself a libertarian?

How on earth does that follow? Are you no longer pretending to be logical?

#1418684 --- 09/24/13 12:52 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
kimmer Offline

I see what you mean kimmer about ugly exchanges on these forums. When we allow ourselves to get enraged, it might be a good time to take a break and catch our breath.

FYI, W Williams is a good distance from the rr tracks. The wear bars extend from 5& 20 north. Truck weight causing grooves in macadam is not uncommon. You seem to have trouble acknowledging an obvious cause to wear bars on Virginia Street. Why is that?

Oh I wasn't enraged. I was amused and pretending to respond in the tone of the quoted posted.

I have never heard of wear bars so pardon me. Anyway, the discussion is about the trash cars not the dirt trucks. Thanks for trying to rile me though.

#1418685 --- 09/24/13 12:54 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
kimmer Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr. Sarcassm Esq
Deny Deny Deny - Kimmer needs some new meds!

DERRRRR more crap from you. Wanna play? What am I denying? What new meds would I need brilliant one? What old meds am I taking that currently are preventing me from denying something> derrrrrrr. This is how you like to engage isn't it? Stupid crap meaning nothing and off topic. Bye for now.

#1418757 --- 09/24/13 09:36 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: kimmer]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Thanks for trying to rile me though.

I won that one!

#1418761 --- 09/24/13 10:04 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Just think of the noise

And the speed of diapers coming into the landfill

#1418762 --- 09/24/13 10:19 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: Dr. Sarcassm Esq
Just think of the noise

And the speed of diapers coming into the landfill

Don't forget mile long trains blocking all the crossings! LOL!

#1418766 --- 09/25/13 02:34 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: kimmer]
romulicious Offline

Oh I wasn't enraged. I was amused and pretending to respond in the tone of the quoted posted.

I have never heard of wear bars so pardon me. Anyway, the discussion is about the trash cars not the dirt trucks. Thanks for trying to rile me though.

You are disingenuous. "pretending to be angry" is cutesy way of being unaccountable for your tone and form of expression. "DERRRRR more crap from you. Wanna play?"

You also play dense in understanding, with photographic demonstration, what a "wear bar" is. Rutting may be a better term, but the communication of the concept is clear. There are groves in the pavement.

Dirt trucks vs garage trucks. Both contribute to road wear. Both are effects of the landfill. Both have the potential of transport via rail. A clay mine next to the landfill would make cover soil transport much less impactful on the general community. But those that live next to the proposed clay mine would be effected more. Is your bias based on your proximity to the proposed clay mine? Mine is based on my proximity to landfill related traffic and its impact on the development of buildings I own.

Finally, it serves no purpose to "rile" you or anyone else. I don't get entertainment value out of irritating people. It is, however, a natural consequence of having a point of view. Some will like it and some wont. Rail makes sense to me. So does your obstinacy. The landfill impacts you more than it does others. That's got to be frustrating.

#1418770 --- 09/25/13 05:28 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
minni Offline

Loc: ny, us
I believe LIVING next to these disruptions trumps your BUSINESS next to disruptions.

#1418783 --- 09/25/13 07:31 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
kimmer Offline

You are disingenuous. "pretending to be angry" is cutesy way of being unaccountable for your tone and form of expression. "DERRRRR more crap from you. Wanna play?"

You also play dense in understanding, with photographic demonstration, what a "wear bar" is. Rutting may be a better term, but the communication of the concept is clear. There are groves in the pavement.

Dirt trucks vs garage trucks. Both contribute to road wear. Both are effects of the landfill. Both have the potential of transport via rail. A clay mine next to the landfill would make cover soil transport much less impactful on the general community. But those that live next to the proposed clay mine would be effected more. Is your bias based on your proximity to the proposed clay mine? Mine is based on my proximity to landfill related traffic and its impact on the development of buildings I own.

Finally, it serves no purpose to "rile" you or anyone else. I don't get entertainment value out of irritating people. It is, however, a natural consequence of having a point of view. Some will like it and some wont. Rail makes sense to me. So does your obstinacy. The landfill impacts you more than it does others. That's got to be frustrating.

My response to the others should not concern you. You however are taking a slightly nasty approach to what started as a decent rational discussion. I was sort of defending you when stating that there are ruts and other issues in a certain section of Virgina St. I am just not sure the issues are caused only or mainly by truck traffic, get it? And again, I don't build roads so a wear bar is not something I would know anything about. Not a crime and I'm not being dense. Maybe some day I will take the time to google wear bars.

Correct, I do not appreciate having a very active mining operation near my home. I do not want to have to listen to it, see it or smell any fumes from the numerous trucks and other equipment operating there. I am concerned for my personal enjoyment of my personal property as well as the potential loss of value. Yes, I said potential. No one can say anything for sure regardless of how many studies are done. Once something like this gets started, and if there are negative impacts on us, it will be too late to correct it.

I do not believe dirt will ever be brought in by rail unless they can't get the approval they demand. And yes, rail makes sense but there is an issue with believing that the company really has any best interests other than for itself. I don't blame them, hell who doesn't like making more money? Too bad they can't take the time to try to understand why some people oppose their plans. Instead they call opposers anti-business. Seriously? Who in their right mind would not want some real NEW business to come to Seneca Co? There is a difference to opposing their growing imprint on us and being anti-business - big difference. I would rather have seen some manufacturing plant go where the dirt pit will be. At least that would have brought new and lasting jobs.

You are not the one trying to rile anyone, you are expressing your opinion. Others can't figure out how to do the same. If this is just entertainment for them then I hope they never have to have the concerns that some of us impacted by the proposed rail and clay mine have. It sucks.

#1418784 --- 09/25/13 07:33 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: minni]
sky's the limit Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
most of you are hypocrits, the one with the biggest mouths are the ones who want the most..
Not enough money offered for the house so now they will just single out your employee's children in the school and bully them by not allowing more than one napkin because "I don't want it to end up in my front yard" and making complaints because the wind is going in the right direction. Or the man who runs the demo derby at the seneca county fair, who gladly takes the help of the landfill and their equipment free of charge, and also sends crews over to clean up the mess when it is all done for free! Or the man who put his house up for 5.5 million because that is the magic number that he wants from the landfill, and then goes to the open house they have and walks out with 8 chicken dinner boxed up. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, and before you all start on how I must work at the LANDFILL, I don't but my husband does and I am sick and tired of looking at these threads and seeing the employees referred to as the goon platoon, trash mongers and such, grow up, find something constructive to do. As far as you Concerned Citizens of Seneca County goes, there are many other things that deserve your attention, but you are too closed minded to focus on anything other than the landfill.

I have heard enough from all of you, b*itching and complaining about the same stuff all the time.

#1418805 --- 09/25/13 11:10 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: minni]
de1 Offline

Originally Posted By: minni
I believe LIVING next to these disruptions trumps your BUSINESS next to disruptions.

If you buy a house next to railroad tracks and don't expect trains that's pretty dumb!

#1418809 --- 09/25/13 11:23 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: de1]
de1 Offline

I see we're back to one thread on this topic. So much for the other one.

#1418812 --- 09/25/13 11:25 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: de1]
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva

Page 3 of 142 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 141 142 >