FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 142 < 1 2 3 4 ... 141 142 >
Topic Options
#1418176 --- 09/20/13 09:53 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
kimmer Offline

Loc: here,there and back again
Originally Posted By: romulicious
Originally Posted By: kimmer
"The anti landfill crowd seems to want no rail discussion because they don't want the landfill at all."

WRONG! It's not about not wanting the landfill. For me it's more about how the dump is an ever expanding eyesore. I don't care to have trash cars - empty or full - parked anywhere I have to look at them. More eyesore is not what is needed. I am alway sick and tired of seeing SMI receive tax breaks when they do not need them. Save the tax breaks for new business - if anyone could figure out how to bring them here.

So the empty train cars will be an eyesore to you and you'd like to see that addressed? Not sure how valid that is in the context of dozens of trucks now waiting outside of the landfill entrance for their turn in the hill.

Tax breaks are another issue. Many businesses have staff to help them apply for and receive tax breaks grants etc. I hope my businesses can grow to the point where I can do the same. But the today topic is about railing trash not railing on the tax break process.

So train cars are an eyesore but trucks backed up along 414 waiting to unload are a more esthetic option? I question your sincerity on that one. When it comes to esthetics, there is a rather remarkable wetlands that compliments the landfill. Have you walked the trails there yet?

The retired landfill in Mt Trashmore Virginia is rather beautiful and sets a standard for an exit strategy to our local landfill as SM operations reach maximum capacity and the trash issue moves on to another community. But while this landfill is actively growing, and the topography of the Northern Seneca County skyline changes, would not a green oriented person want to reduce fuel emissions and reduce truck traffic during the mounding phase of this landfill?

When you look at the growing mounds of trash, that's all you see. Trash. And its understandable why that would upset you. Me, I see Seneca County doing its part in helping our region safely, responsibly and affordable deal with its trash processing needs. I see the flow of trash stopping some day and the mountains reclaimed for wildlife. I look forward to the day I can hunt elk and bear in them thare hills. Your vision is immediate. Mine is generational.

When I was a kid, the gullies and roadsides of this county were the dumping grounds of the region long before we had a landfill. Any metal detector can find the remains of the past in any gully in the area. If it takes tax breaks and trains to have a sane, green, forward thinking mentality toward trash, I welcome it.

Don't doubt my sincerity when it comes to my personal feelings about SM or any increase in SM footprint in SC. I have never seen trucks backed up on 414 waiting to dump their loads at SM. I have seen trucks lined up on SM property, I mean I have seen the lights on the trucks during the dark hours of the morning but like I said they were on SM property, far from the road and you really have to look through the brush to see it. When I read that there would be a rail yard behind the bank, that was too much for me. I prefer to see the brush and the wildlife that sneak out of that brush from time to time.

No I have not walked the trails there yet. I prefer to go to Hector, big hills are more challenging. BTW, isn't SM reguired to restore lands near them whenever they expand dumping areas?

Re: "would not a green oriented person want to reduce fuel emissions and reduce truck traffic during the mounding phase of this landfill?" Again, I am not convinced that trucks would come off the road. Also, as far reducing emissions, there will be a clay mine down the road from where I live. I see no reduction in emissions for my neighborhood. Yes, that's right and off topic but being transparent here I oppose the clay mine because of how close it is to my personal property.

I do not see SC doing it's part in helping our region safely, responsibily and affordably dealing with it's trash processing needs. I see a large corp. making lots of money but not much benefit to SC at large. I hope the trash flow stops one day but do not see the mountains being reclaimed by wildlife. How will there be elk and bear on those hills? Are you thinking there will literally be a wildlife refuge there? Who will manage it? Who will be allowed on the property when SM is done? My vision is immediate and generational, so not presume to be know my thoughts.

Thank you for your response, it's a pleasant change to be able to read and respond to something other than assumptions, name calling and hate speak.

FingerLakes1.com
#1418325 --- 09/21/13 09:17 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: kimmer]
romulicious Offline

Loc: Romulus, NY
Re: "would not a green oriented person want to reduce fuel emissions and reduce truck traffic during the mounding phase of this landfill?" Again, I am not convinced that trucks would come off the road. Also, as far reducing emissions, there will be a clay mine down the road from where I live. I see no reduction in emissions for my neighborhood. Yes, that's right and off topic but being transparent here I oppose the clay mine because of how close it is to my personal property.

I do not see SC doing it's part in helping our region safely, responsibily and affordably dealing with it's trash processing needs. I see a large corp. making lots of money but not much benefit to SC at large. I hope the trash flow stops one day but do not see the mountains being reclaimed by wildlife. How will there be elk and bear on those hills? Are you thinking there will literally be a wildlife refuge there? Who will manage it? Who will be allowed on the property when SM is done? My vision is immediate and generational, so not presume to be know my thoughts.

Thank you for your response, it's a pleasant change to be able to read and respond to something other than assumptions, name calling and hate speak.

You raise good questions while revealing a bias against a company making big money. If this were a manufacturing business it would be easier to understand. Waterloo Container grows and people are pleased. SM expands and people are enraged.

I view SM as a great business. As great as any manufacturing facility. SM fulfills a fundamental need of everyone and does a superb job at it. They differ from a manufacturing facility in that they need to share with us their exit strategy. When is enough trash enough? Evans, Goulds, Waterloo Container don't need an exit strategy because they produce relevant products that have hopefully a perpetual demand. But how high and how far should we expect this landfill to expand before it shifts to the inert phase and the topography is reclaimed for wildlife, recreational or any other none landfill use?

The fear that rail wont reduce traffic is a fundamental area of accountability we would expect and demand of SM. I support making that demand.

Thank you for acknowledging the spirit of this discourse. My hope is to show those in elected and corporate positions that reasonable discussion is possible without name calling and rudeness. Thank you for your contribution to that intent.

#1418329 --- 09/21/13 09:49 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
NIMBY isn't what inspired the underground railroad, memorial day or the women's rights movement. These were about leading the way in national issues.

So, because people helped slaves to freedom, agreed to honor the war dead, and achieved voting rights for women, SF should bring in trash from all over the Northeast and Canada?

How about nuclear waste? That's a pressing national issue. If SF refuses to take nuclear waste, will it be refusing to lead the way on a pressing national issue? Should SF then be faulted for not doing so?

#1418338 --- 09/21/13 10:06 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
What do you think are the questions the Seneca County Supervisors should be considering related to the trash train to Seneca Meadows? Environmental issues are moot points because the trash will get here one way or another. But making the trash train a mute point by not discussing the facts is a disservice to the county.
Here's my questions for the supervisors to consider:

1) Will train reduce truck traffic? If so, where and to what extent?
2) Will train accelerate the ultimate closing of the landfill?
3) How will train crossings impact villages and the quality of life of those that live near the railroad tracks?

What are your questions?

I went to the meeting,so I have no questions. You must get your information from the news paper. At the meeting it was said a hundred times that the NORTH ROAD may be blocked by NO MORE THAN 3 MINUTES !!!! the answers to your questions are yes,no, minimal.

#1418340 --- 09/21/13 10:15 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: F. Gump]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
Originally Posted By: F. Gump
When you look at the growing mounds of trash, that's all you see. Trash. And its understandable why that would upset you. Me, I see Seneca County doing its part in helping our region safely, responsibly and affordable deal with its trash processing needs.

I do not view "our region" as the entire North East and Canada. And who mandates Seneca County should "do its part?" Oh, Seneca Meadows, a corporation.
I think most rational people in Seneca County would be comfortable with a dump in Seneca County that only accepted garbage from within the County.

look up Cortland County Landfill they only take Cortland county trash and loose about a million a year. Their landfill may be for sale because of the loss maybe the CCSC can have a yard sale and buy it for seneca county and we can send our trash there

#1418347 --- 09/21/13 10:54 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: VM Smith]
romulicious Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Quote:
NIMBY isn't what inspired the underground railroad, memorial day or the women's rights movement. These were about leading the way in national issues.

So, because people helped slaves to freedom, agreed to honor the war dead, and achieved voting rights for women, SF should bring in trash from all over the Northeast and Canada?

How about nuclear waste? That's a pressing national issue. If SF refuses to take nuclear waste, will it be refusing to lead the way on a pressing national issue? Should SF then be faulted for not doing so?

I did not inspire the freedom train, memorial day or women's right to vote. That was someone else's vision which I applaud. I did not inspire the state of the art refuse management of Seneca Meadows, but I applaud their passion and excellence. Do you have a vision for nuclear waste? Watkins Glen's potential of Glass encapsulated containers crystallized in salt sounds promising. But that's not the discussion on the table today.

Ostrich, NIMBY perspectives fail to recognize the profound need for safe affordable trash disposal. Linking any and all volatile topics to the Landfill is an attempt to distract attention for the core issue. Will rail lesson truck traffic?

If there were no competition for the ethical handling of trash, why not be the #1 choice for a 300 mile radius? You seem offended that anyone would accept anyone else's trash for burial in our neck of the woods. But you have no problem driving a car made elsewhere or watching TV produced elsewhere. Cities rely on the country and visa versa. Trash burial is not the only product of the Finger Lakes, but it is one of them. Rail would lesson the impact of the landfill on our roads and communities.

Burying outsider's trash makes people uncomfortable. Its still the right thing to do and SM does it right. I support their vision and growth.

#1418383 --- 09/21/13 09:36 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
Hard Corps Offline

Loc: The Village
If it lessons the amount of truck traffic then I'm all for it. Those garbage haulers are the most unprofessional, most discourteous drivers out there. They give truck drivers a bad name.

#1418405 --- 09/22/13 07:22 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Hard Corps]
romulicious Offline

Originally Posted By: Hard Corps
If it lessons the amount of truck traffic then I'm all for it. Those garbage haulers are the most unprofessional, most discourteous drivers out there. They give truck drivers a bad name.

The wear bars in Virginia Street in Waterloo are evidence of an absurd amount of truck traffic through the village. It kills the quaint factor which reduces the economic development of the village. From what I've seen, the opposition to the rail ignores the facts. My support of the rail is based on what is seen here and now. The rail will reduce truck traffic. That is important to the county but especially to the Village of Waterloo.

#1418406 --- 09/22/13 07:37 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
minni Offline

Loc: ny, us
You seem to ignore the amount of PEOPLE who live NEXT TO the TRACKS! That won't be QUAINT.

#1418414 --- 09/22/13 09:05 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: minni]
romulicious Offline

Originally Posted By: minni
You seem to ignore the amount of PEOPLE who live NEXT TO the TRACKS! That won't be QUAINT.

The train travelling on train tracks is not unlike the truck travelling on roads. Its to be expected. But each train replaces 100+ trucks. The economic development of the Village of Waterloo is hindered by the extreme truck traffic. Care to have lunch at a sidewalk bistro while watching 50 trucks roar by?

Not so with rail traffic. Let's talk real, today observations and not speculate about the inconvenience of a growth industry on people that live next to the tracks. If this rail traffic were created by Goulds would you still complain? Trash is an import business. Manufacturing is an export business.

The wear Bars don't lie. We need rail to profoundly reduce the negative effects of truck traffic in the most highly populated areas of our county.

Here is a photo taken this morning of the wear bars along Virginia Street due to truck traffic. I could only take this picture on a Sunday morning due to the extreme traffic in downtown Waterloo.

#1418420 --- 09/22/13 10:01 AM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: minni]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny

If you live next to rail tracks and don't expect them to be used that is pretty dumb. That's like living next to the thruway and complaing about cars going by. FLR owns those tracks and has every right to use them to the max. They are a business that is trying to make a profit. If people don't want to hear trains don't buy land next to railroad tracks DUH! I wonder if the potential train traffic was going to Goulds instead of the landfill would people be whining and crying. People like you and CCSC are grasping for straws trying to do anything to harass the landfill. You efforts have failed miserably so far and your getting desperate. It shows in your fundraising. If you had the backing of the community that you say you have fundraising wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't have to resort to barbeques and yard sales.

#1418438 --- 09/22/13 04:16 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
kimmer Offline

You raise good questions while revealing a bias against a company making big money. If this were a manufacturing business it would be easier to understand. Waterloo Container grows and people are pleased. SM expands and people are enraged.

I view SM as a great business. As great as any manufacturing facility. SM fulfills a fundamental need of everyone and does a superb job at it. They differ from a manufacturing facility in that they need to share with us their exit strategy. When is enough trash enough? Evans, Goulds, Waterloo Container don't need an exit strategy because they produce relevant products that have hopefully a perpetual demand. But how high and how far should we expect this landfill to expand before it shifts to the inert phase and the topography is reclaimed for wildlife, recreational or any other none landfill use?

The fear that rail wont reduce traffic is a fundamental area of accountability we would expect and demand of SM. I support making that demand.

Thank you for acknowledging the spirit of this discourse. My hope is to show those in elected and corporate positions that reasonable discussion is possible without name calling and rudeness. Thank you for your contribution to that intent.

I'm not exactly sure I appreciate the words "bias against" a company making money. I'm all for making money, I love money but I could not and would not make money for myself at the expense of the local residents and continue to call myself a good neighbor.

I don't see or smell WC growing so can't comment about them. I do see and smell SM. Evans, Goulds & WC will hopefully be here long after we are all gone and will hopefully continue to employ many more locals to keep our county alive.

I simply cannot believe that trucks will be taken off the local roads. I see rail as just another means for transporting, possibly from greater distances, to meet a daily quota. SM has not been a good neighbor to me. I deeply resent having a 6-7 day a week operating clay mine within earshot of my property. I resent that the quiet neighborhood I live in will be polluted with that noise and who knows what else. A good neighbor would not do that.

I do not see the landfill phasing out at the end of their current permit time.

Maybe SM should take the lead in requiring more recycling or sorting of trash before it is loaded in trucks or railcars. I would be more impressed if they had a policy of reuse/reduce. Not everything that gets buried needs to be bur

As for the other good deeds that they have been applauded for, such as the energy part - give back to the community first. Don't pipeline it to California after requesting and receiving economic breaks from the county.

#1418439 --- 09/22/13 04:20 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: Hard Corps]
kimmer Offline

Originally Posted By: Hard Corps

Got to agree on the driving however it is also some of the local dirt haulers who must not appreciate the size of the vehicles they are driving. I watched a dirt hauler with a local name on the door speed his way through a red light. I heard him gun it and if not for that I may have made my way through the intersection because I had the green to his dead red light. Nice job son, hope that name on the truck is yours and if not you better watch yourself next time.

#1418440 --- 09/22/13 04:24 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: de1]
kimmer Offline

Originally Posted By: de1

If you live next to rail tracks and don't expect them to be used that is pretty dumb. That's like living next to the thruway and complaing about cars going by. FLR owns those tracks and has every right to use them to the max. They are a business that is trying to make a profit. If people don't want to hear trains don't buy land next to railroad tracks DUH! I wonder if the potential train traffic was going to Goulds instead of the landfill would people be whining and crying. People like you and CCSC are grasping for straws trying to do anything to harass the landfill. You efforts have failed miserably so far and your getting desperate. It shows in your fundraising. If you had the backing of the community that you say you have fundraising wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't have to resort to barbeques and yard sales.

And here we have a perfect example of not engaging in an intelligent conversation about anything.

Negative, name calling immaturity. Does anyone from SM really appreciate how you represent them? BTW - I am not a member of CCSC so don't go there with me.

#1418441 --- 09/22/13 04:26 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
kimmer Offline

The train travelling on train tracks is not unlike the truck travelling on roads. Its to be expected. But each train replaces 100+ trucks. The economic development of the Village of Waterloo is hindered by the extreme truck traffic. Care to have lunch at a sidewalk bistro while watching 50 trucks roar by?

Not so with rail traffic. Let's talk real, today observations and not speculate about the inconvenience of a growth industry on people that live next to the tracks. If this rail traffic were created by Goulds would you still complain? Trash is an import business. Manufacturing is an export business.

The wear Bars don't lie. We need rail to profoundly reduce the negative effects of truck traffic in the most highly populated areas of our county.

Here is a photo taken this morning of the wear bars along Virginia Street due to truck traffic. I could only take this picture on a Sunday morning due to the extreme traffic in downtown Waterloo.

Not sure that the wear in the road at that particular spot is really caused by truck traffic only. There are 2 manhole covers in that spot, correct. The RR crossing is not in great shape either.

I'm also thinking that most of the truck traffic on Virginia St is dirt haulers - based on my daily experience in the area.

#1418448 --- 09/22/13 06:05 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...

A viewpoint from Dr. D about the street and traffic conditions on Virginia St.:

Without any markers or buildings that could be any street, it sure as heck isnt part of the street around the tracks.. trust me I know. I have been here on Virginia St for years and can look down the street at the tracks and back out onto Virginia St daily. That section would have to be in downtown where all the dumptrucks going well over the speed limit mash on their brakes to stop at the light. The road around the tracks as well as the tracks needs to be fixed(they just quick patched it a few weeks ago and did a horrid job) It is either stomp on the brakes or hit their jake brake a few blocks back to slow down, I hear it everyday its more annoying than the train engineer that blows the wistle to excess. There are no bistro's on the street but I like the idea of having a nice deli locally. Then you have that laundromat smelling like a giant bounce dryer bar on the street making it all pleasent smelling.

You also have to figure that Virginia St has not been resurfaced in well over 15 years and sections of 96 both north and south have been ground down 2 times and repaved since the last this street was done. I am not sure where the excessive traffic is but I counted 5 cars go by in the last 5 minutes.

All and all its a pretty nice street with some really nice historic homes on it.

#1418454 --- 09/22/13 07:54 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: kimmer]
romulicious Offline

Not sure that the wear in the road at that particular spot is really caused by truck traffic only. There are 2 manhole covers in that spot, correct. The RR crossing is not in great shape either.

I'm also thinking that most of the truck traffic on Virginia St is dirt haulers - based on my daily experience in the area.

Virginia and W Williams street. Dirt haulers are part of the landfill. I would think dirt could be railed in much cheaper than using the 10 wheelers. The wear bars extend from the 96, 5&20 light past w. williams. Right now, the virginia street north to 96 is part of the industrial drive to the landfill. Rail is part of the solution. Denial is part of the problem.

Wear bars the result of manholes? Never heard that before. As to SM harming the community, I think your are talking from your manhole logic again. Your bias is evident and your arguments argumentative. The jobs they provide, the money they provide, the vision they provide defines good neighbor. Rail is SM's way to be an even better neighbor.

The trash is gonna get here one way or another. Why not advocate for the least intrusive way possible? Thank you SM for your efforts. Its an uphill battle you are fighting but a worth while one.

Be a good neighbor, kimmer and support those that help their neighbors take the trash out. Its a basic human need.

#1418456 --- 09/22/13 08:21 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: kimmer]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny

And here we have a perfect example of not engaging in an intelligent conversation about anything.

Negative, name calling immaturity. Does anyone from SM really appreciate how you represent them? BTW - I am not a member of CCSC so don't go there with me.

I have no connection with SM. I just get frustrated with some of the ignorant arguments put forward. Then when you press them for evidence of their arguments they have none. It's all just theories based on nothing but their hatred for SM. They have never stopped SM on anything and they never will. Every week it's a new baseless argument by a group of desperate people trying to do anything to harass SM. The more they blow their horn the less people listen because the people know by now it's a pile of crap.

#1418459 --- 09/22/13 09:31 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: romulicious]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Linking any and all volatile topics to the Landfill is an attempt to distract attention for the core issue.

You're right, so why did you link the Underground Railway, Memorial Day, and the Women's Rights Movement to SM taking trash into SC?

Quote:
But you have no problem driving a car made elsewhere or watching TV produced elsewhere.

I don't drive, and I watch TV approx. 0 hrs/month, so it's a lot more accurate to say that you have no problem pulling debate points out of your butt.

Say...if I did decide to drive, should I become a trash hauler, so I could do my small part in "leading the way in national issues"?

#1418460 --- 09/22/13 09:53 PM Re: Train of thought-Talk it through [Re: de1]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls

I have no connection with SM. I just get frustrated with some of the ignorant arguments put forward. Then when you press them for evidence of their arguments they have none. It's all just theories based on nothing but their hatred for SM. They have never stopped SM on anything and they never will. Every week it's a new baseless argument by a group of desperate people trying to do anything to harass SM. The more they blow their horn the less people listen because the people know by now it's a pile of crap.

I agree with DE1, don't try to derail his argument.

Using an argument that living by the RR tracks will be a new experience for those who CHOSE to buy their homes next to the tracks is laughable and shows what a pack of idiots CCSC really has - whacko nut jobs with no real data to use to prove their points and no real brains to recognize that SMI is a good neighbor and we need to deal with the situation.

Page 2 of 142 < 1 2 3 4 ... 141 142 >