FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 140 of 142 < 1 2 ... 138 139 140 141 142 >
Topic Options
#1457922 --- 08/26/14 12:47 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: ]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: smartguy
You didn't seem to have a problem with the situation after the elections when you thought the votes were going in your favor! Now when the situation is reversed all you do is cry and whine! What a sore loser!

I, for one, didn't miss you. You didn't put too much thought into your new (8th ?) FL1 ID, did you?

FingerLakes1.com
#1457974 --- 08/27/14 09:09 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: ]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
last night- Waterloo approves clay mine cry

#1457979 --- 08/27/14 11:08 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Hello_Governer]
Ghosts Offline

I hope every home owner, who lives nearby, heads immediately to the assessor's office. More destruction to come . . .

CLAY MINE PERMIT OK'D

WATERLOO — It took a mere eight minutes Tuesday night for the town Planning Board to sign off on the Seneca Meadows Landfill clay mine that had been five years in the making.

The vote was 5-2 in favor of issuing a special use permit for Meadow View Mine. There was no debate among Planning Board members. Public comment was not allowed.

Board members Robert Dwello, Dale Groom, Reed Balewski, John Pigman and Perry Cleaveland approved the motion. Michael Smith and Keith Beck were opposed.

Seneca Meadows Regional Manager Don Gentilcore issued a written statement following the vote.

“Seneca Meadows is committed to operating this soil mine with the environmental integrity that has earned the company honors such as the 2012 [Solid Waste Association of North America] award for excellence in landfill management,” Gentilcore’s statement read. “Through the diligent efforts of the Waterloo Town Board, this project will bring several new benefits to the Waterloo community, including free residential waste disposal at the landfill, the elimination of thousands of truck trips through residential areas and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. We look forward to demonstrating our commitment to environmental excellence as we move forward.”

The permit included three conditions:

• Seneca Meadows shall coordinate with county Highway Superintendent Roy Gates to approve the necessary traffic control devices at the Burgess Road crossing.

• Burgess Road will remain open to traffic during the construction period. The landfill wanted to close the road for construction.

• The only lighting allowed at the property is set forth in an exhibit.

Attorney Wendy Marsh of Geneva, special legal counsel to the town on environmental issues, read a three-page resolution authorizing the permit. It noted not only the state Department of Environmental Conservation’s decision to issue a mined land permit for the project on July 18, 2013, but the Town Board’s 3-2 vote 375 days later to issued a mining permit to Seneca Meadows under Chapter 80 of the town code.

The motion stated that the project is not subject to site-plan review because that is regulated by the state’s mined land reclamation law.

The measure also indicated Seneca Meadows is seeking approval to utilize temporary lighting until 7 p.m., although their application stated there would be no onsite lighting.

The Planning Board motion stated it incorporated the State Environmental Quality Review Act findings statement of May 24, 2013, and accepted all of the findings, conclusions and conditions by the Town Board in issuing the Chapter 80 permit. Those findings:

• The project will be located, constructed and operated so that the public health, safety and general welfare will be protected.

• The project will not cause substantial injury to the value of the other property in the surrounding neighborhood.

• The project will provide adequate landscaping and screening.

• The project will provide adequate off-street parking and loading and the ingress and egress through Salcman Road is designed to cause minimum interference with traffic.

• The project will not result in excessive erosion and will not increase surface water runoff onto abutting properties.

• The lighting, noise and other disturbances anticipated to result from the project have been mitigated to prevent onerous conditions for the existing residences on adjacent and nearby properties.

After Marsh read the resolution, it was brought to a vote.

The meeting adjourned after eight minutes.

“The board worked hard at this and asked the important questions that needed to be asked,” Dwello said after the meeting.

Smith said he voted no because he was opposed to a clay mine at that location.

“It’s plain and simple: I don’t want an industrial mine a quarter of a mile from me, no matter what changes they’ve made,” remarked Smith said, who lives at 108 Virginia St. and operates a bed-and-breakfast there. “This has negative impacts on the community that I don’t want.”

Smith said he was not swayed by Seneca Meadows’ revisions, the Burgess Road provision.

“I’m disappointed it passed,” Smith said. “I thought there were more opponents on the board, but they voted their consciences.”

Glen Silver, president of Concerned Citizens of Seneca County, was unhappy with the decision.

“More of the same as what we got from the Town Board: a government of, by and for the corporation (Seneca Meadows) and not for the people,” Glen Silver, president of Concerned Citizens of Seneca County, said in a written statement. “The Planning Board had plenty of lawful reasons for denying the mining application if they wanted to do the right thing in the first place.”

About the mine

Meadow View Mine, first proposed by Seneca Meadows in 2009, will provide a source of clay for landfill liner and final cover on the trash deposited in the state’s largest landfill.

Seneca Meadows owns 252 acres between North, Burgess and Powderly roads. The mine area encompasses 122 acres, although the actual excavation area covers 81.4 acres, generating 3.3 million cubic yards of material over the next 11 years.

The mined soil will be trucked across Burgess Road to the adjacent landfill, located just over the border on Salcman Road in Seneca Falls.

http://www.fltimes.com/news/article_8d34e9c8-2df5-11e4-85fe-001a4bcf887a.html

#1457985 --- 08/27/14 12:22 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Ghosts]
Hello_Governer Offline

so tell us what you intend to do when all the distruction and other terrible things you claim are going to happen, actually don't happen ?

#1457989 --- 08/27/14 01:30 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: romulicious]
driver21 Offline

Loc: NY/Seneca
I'd be very curious to know the type of road Burgess really is and if it's capable of supporting loaded trucks....over time.....without disintegrating. I used to drive truck and I certainly know a lot of rural roads won't be able to stand the weight....and who will regulate the loaded weight of those trucks on that road?

#1457990 --- 08/27/14 01:39 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: driver21]
Hello_Governer Offline

The permit included three conditions:

• Seneca Meadows shall coordinate with county Highway Superintendent Roy Gates to approve the necessary traffic control devices at the Burgess Road crossing.

• Burgess Road will remain open to traffic during the construction period. The landfill wanted to close the road for construction.

• The only lighting allowed at the property is set forth in an exhibit.

#1457994 --- 08/27/14 02:29 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Ghosts]
Emerald53 Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Goodbye, Gary. He'll be lucky to get elected dogcatcher now.

#1458036 --- 08/28/14 05:08 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Emerald53]
Hello_Governer Offline

why do you think he changed the term of supervisor from two years to four years, and delayed the clay mine till after he was re-elected.

#1458039 --- 08/28/14 06:55 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Hello_Governer]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
why do you think he changed the term of supervisor from two years to four years, and delayed the clay mine till after he was re-elected.

For once, I believe what you wrote. And, why would he do that? Any incentive from DG or MB? May I use your name when I ask him if this is fact?

Edited by Ghosts (08/28/14 06:58 AM)

#1458045 --- 08/28/14 10:43 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: romulicious]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
He will probably tell you he isn't running again. Threats to oust him have already been made. I guaranty that the mine isn't his reason for ending his political career. Let him tell you...

This is just a forum, there is a real world out there.

#1458046 --- 08/28/14 11:06 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Top Dog]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he really doesn't care what the general public thinks nor do the rest of members that did an about face on the clay mine issue.
His statement at the last meeting that we all have to live in this town and shouldn't be enmities meant little to nothing, especially with Jamie King snickering behind is coffee mug as Mr. Westfall was talking. I think their attitude is: "so what we lied to you what are you going to do about it".
Time to move on what's done is done, all we can do is keep fighting, Artice 78 time!

#1458071 --- 08/29/14 04:31 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: romulicious]
mikey Offline

Loc: Rochester NY
Aren't there provisions in your local government for a recall?

#1458075 --- 08/29/14 06:53 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he really doesn't care what the general public thinks nor do the rest of members

It's axiomatic to me that if they did care, they wouldn't be in government. I start with the question, "What manner of person desires to have power and control over others to start with?".

#1458076 --- 08/29/14 06:57 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: VM Smith]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

FL1 needs a "like" button
smirk

#1458078 --- 08/29/14 07:11 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Roadtrip2nowhere
FL1 needs a "like" button
smirk
Why not just simply say I "like" your post? wink

#1458100 --- 08/29/14 09:10 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Hello_Governer Offline

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he really doesn't care what the general public thinks nor do the rest of members that did an about face on the clay mine issue.
His statement at the last meeting that we all have to live in this town and shouldn't be enmities meant little to nothing, especially with Jamie King snickering behind is coffee mug as Mr. Westfall was talking. I think their attitude is: "so what we lied to you what are you going to do about it".
Time to move on what's done is done, all we can do is keep fighting, Artice 78 time!

What surprises me is that he has been that way for 30 years and while working for the village and you people are just finding out laugh

#1458116 --- 08/29/14 02:07 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: romulicious]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
maybe you guys treated him and the other two like some of us that used to support you...

#1458119 --- 08/29/14 02:39 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Top Dog]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Dog
maybe you guys treated him and the other two like some of us that used to support you...

????

#1458129 --- 08/29/14 03:46 PM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Ghosts Offline

Artice 78 time!

Lawsuit filed over clay mine approval

WATERLOO — Concerned Citizens of Seneca County and property owner Dixie Lemmon have filed an Article 78 proceeding against the Town Board and Seneca Meadows Landfill.

The litigation relates to the Town Board’s 3-2 vote July 28 to approve Seneca Meadows’ request for a permit to mine clay under Chapter 80 of the town code.

The Article 78 petition will be amended to add the town Planning Board as a defendant in light of its 5-2 vote Aug. 26 to issue a special use permit for Meadow View Mine.

The lawsuit seeks a ruling to annul and vacate the 122-acre clay mine approval votes of July and August.

Geneva attorney Rich Reiben filed the petition on behalf of Concerned Citizens and Lemmon. The parties are scheduled to appear before Acting Supreme Court Judge Patrick Falvey of Penn Yan at 11 a.m. Oct. 16 in state Supreme Court of Seneca County.

Don Gentilcore, Seneca Meadows regional manager, said the company has worked for five years to obtain the permits for the Meadow View Mine, and has listened to community members and Waterloo town officials in modifying its site plan accordingly.

“Our diligence in this matter has earned us approval from both the state Department of Environmental Conservation and the town of Waterloo,” he said. “While this baseless lawsuit is regrettable, we plan to continue forward with the project with the environmental integrity that our community has come to expect.”

Town Supervisor Gary Westfall said he’s looking forward to the court deciding the issue “once and for all.”

The Article 78 lists these causes of action:

• The Town Board failed to comply with the 2005 Community Benefits Agreement with the landfill.

Concerned Citizens claims the agreement has Seneca Meadows and the town agreeing that any proposed mine application would be subject to “any or all” existing local laws or mining ordinances in place at the time of the agreement.

Chapter 80 of the town code that regulates mining activity in the town was enacted in 2000. The petitioners argue that provisions of Chapter 80 should apply to any proposed mining operation of Seneca Meadows, including a provision that no excavation shall be permitted within 1,000 feet of an existing residence or public building.

That is greater than the 300-foot setback in the initial site plan approved by the state Department of Environmental Conservation and Town Board.

They also claim Chapter 80 provides for more restrictive hours of operation.

The Article 78 states the board’s July 28 decision and the Planning Board’s Aug. 26 decision violate the community benefits agreement and is “arbitrary, capricious, unreasonable, unlawful and should be declared null and void.”

• The Town Board’s decision was in violation of the town zoning ordinance, the petition alleges.

It claims the final site plan adopted by the Town Board shows an access road providing ingress and egress to the excavation area, over which heavy industrial vehicles would frequently enter and exit the site.

The petition claims that access road would run through areas zoned R-1 or one-family residential, which is not a permitted use in those zones. The lawsuit says Seneca Meadows did not apply for a zoning change or variance for the access areas.

They claim that would be a case of a “self-created hardship” and has not demonstrated that denial of an access road across residential property would render the mine property without use or value.

• The approval was a violation of the state DEC mining permit terms.

Concerned Citizens claims the mine plan maps submitted to DEC that was part of the permit it received show an access road to the parcel that intersects Burgess Road some 500 feet north of Salcman Road. However, the final mine plan approved by the Town Board shows an access road that intersects Burgess Road directly opposite Salcman Road, which wasn’t approved by the DEC permit.

The change in the road location is said to impact Lemmon and other area residents, with truck lights shining into their residences of Lemmon and others, along with noise and diesel fumes.

• The project failed to properly mitigate damage to landowners.

The Property Value Protection Plan proposed by the landfill only provides compensation to affected residents who wish to sell their properties.

“No account is taken of the diminution in value of use, occupancy and quiet enjoyment of properties by affected owners/residents who may be unwilling or unable to sell their residence, but who live with a clay mine nearby for at least 11 years,” it states.

The litigation claims Chapter 80 requires protection of property values.

The petition seeks a ruling to direct the Town Board deny the Seneca Meadows application as defective. It directs the landfill to adopt a Property Value Protection Plan that effectively compensates nearby landowners for the loss of use, occupancy and quiet enjoyment of their residential properties.

In support of the petition, Lemmon submitted an affidavit, as did Glen Silver, president of Concerned Citizens of Seneca County. Lemmon claims her property at 1569 North Road is surrounded on all sides by property owned by Seneca Meadows.

“Because we would be the next-door neighbor to the mine, my family and I would be affected by increased dust, air pollution from diesel exhaust, water pollution from petroleum discharges, visual pollution from mining activities and equipment, noises and odors from equipment and other adverse effects by the mine operation to a degree far greater that the general public,” Lemmon stated. “I believe this mine would create a hazard to our health and peace of mind, in addition to financial damage to our property value.”

Lemmon claims berms and other screening is inadequate and the Property Value Protection Plan does not compensate her in any manner.

Silver’s affidavit states the mine violates town laws and the community benefits agreement and would “fundamentally change the character of the neighborhood surrounding the mine.”

http://www.fltimes.com/news/article_22ac320a-2f8a-11e4-b0c8-0019bb2963f4.html

#1458170 --- 08/30/14 10:13 AM Re: SMI - Meadow View Clay Mine [Re: bluezone]
Ghosts Offline

Here are a couple of interesting links:

Landfills - sources of waste

For each landfill in New York state, the interactive below shows where the solid waste comes from and how many tons were received in 2012.

http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/story/whats-landfill

Click on Seneca Meadows Landfill.

For each landfill in New York state, the interactive below shows where the solid waste comes from and how many tons were received in 2012.

http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/story/landfills-sources-waste

Click on Seneca Meadows Landfill. Notice that Seneca County contributes the lowest volume!

Page 140 of 142 < 1 2 ... 138 139 140 141 142 >