FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1417062 --- 09/12/13 07:27 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Dr117]
Sallie Offline

Loc: NY
Might be better having the K9 sitting on top of the judges desk so the judge can confer with the K9 "Smell any drugs on this one boy". \:\)

FingerLakes1.com
#1417063 --- 09/12/13 07:35 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Dr117]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I'm really not sure at all about how things work in the court house. The judge might be able to bring his dog in, but I'm not sure about anyone else who works in the court house. I was just sort of making a point. For example, you might be able to carry a weapon into a store or a restaurant (if licensed to carry), but your dog is much more likely to be stopped at the door... especially in restaurants. In this country, anyway. I should clarify that a service dog is always an exception to these situations.

#1417071 --- 09/12/13 07:50 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Josephus]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Yes, and there are service dogs and therapy dogs. Sadly, therapy dogs do not have the same access as service dogs in all places.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Edited by twocats (09/12/13 07:51 PM)

#1417373 --- 09/15/13 04:28 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Festus]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
It's just as likely that the assailant could have taken the victim's weapon and killed him with it.

That's a hypothetical, and since it's always a possibility, every reasonable person always thinks about it. It's also a distinct possibility that someone will immediately be killed by being hit on the head with a tank lid, which is pretty hard and heavy, if it's the typical ceramic kind.

However, that's all irrelevant to my POV, which is that it's always better to have the availability of an adequate means of self defense. Sometimes one doesn't get a chance to use it, but sometimes, one does.

If it's indeed "just as likely", then hey...I'd want that 50% chance.

And as long as we're entertaining possibiities, suppose the trooper had stuck around, and neither man had heard the assailant, and the assailant had managed to kill or completely disable the trooper, with the lid, before having time to start in on Barto. That also would have been a good time for Barto to have had a gun.

There's even a very good chance that he may not have had to fire it; merely looking down the barrel of one has been known to alter some people's plans.

#1417382 --- 09/15/13 04:44 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Sallie]

Originally Posted By: Sallie
Might be better having the K9 sitting on top of the judges desk so the judge can confer with the K9 "Smell any drugs on this one boy". \:\)

Make that alcohol included so the dog can smell it on your breath.

#1417383 --- 09/15/13 04:56 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: ]
Hard Corps Offline

Loc: The Village
Originally Posted By: Hocks N Rice

You really can't figure this one out Joe Bob? Think REAAAALLLLYYY hard now. Maybe if the town rent a cops ever actually worked over night and not 9-5 they would have been there to stop this. We have a village police department that stands locked and deserted most of the time. What kind of police department is that?

Ok I thought about a couple of your idiotic ramblings and I have come up with a few things. Rent a cops are security guards not the cops themselves. The police department is staffed 24/7. The doors are kept locked for security reasons. I'm sure you don't keep your doors unlocked when you are not there. The police department is understaffed. The mayor won't allow the chief to hire people. One officer recently retired and one went to the state police. Two full time officers are gone and not replaced. You can't keep an officer inside their building 24/7 when you have as much low income places like Elizabeth Crossing that takes a majority of their time.

When your momma told you 'don't get smart' she didn't mean literally.

#1417384 --- 09/15/13 05:04 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: SportsRef1]
Hard Corps Offline

Loc: The Village
Originally Posted By: SportsRef1
Originally Posted By: Hard Corps
Maybe now the mayor will give the police department the resources it needs.

and what would that be......more taxes?

The police department runs on a budget covered by taxes. 2 full time officers recently left and 1 part time officer just left and were not replaced. Did your taxes go down? The mayor wants the chief to cut a shift that had an officer overlapping 2 shifts during peak busy times on weekends. The mayor should support the police chief more and spend less time wanting to be police chief which is exactly what ole Teddy wants.

#1417548 --- 09/16/13 08:25 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Dr117]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Waterloo deserves Ted Young.

He is the best of what Waterloo has to offer - HA!

#1430338 --- 12/23/13 02:17 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Wow. Unbelievable.

Breaking news.

FingerLakes1.com
12/23/13 @ 2:34 pm

On August 31, 2013, Acting Waterloo Village Justice Roger Barto claimed that he was assaulted by two persons as he exited the Village Municipal building after conducting a court arraignment. Barto alleged that he was strangled and was struck over the head with a porcelain toilet tank top that had been removed from the building as part of court renovations.

A thorough investigation was conducted by the Village of Waterloo Police Department, the New York State Police, the Seneca County District Attorney’s Office and other State agencies with the assistance of expert medical authorities. As a result of that investigation, it has been determined that there is no credible evidence to substantiate Barto's assault claim.

On September 16, 2013, Barto stopped cooperating with the investigation and his attorney has prohibited the police from questioning his client.

#1430343 --- 12/23/13 03:12 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: drgnfly02]
polaris Offline

oh no…i smell a lawsuit evaporating into thin air….

#1430355 --- 12/23/13 04:18 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: Sallie]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Police: No evidence to support assault claim by Waterloo justice

FingerLakes1.com
12/23/13 @ 2:34 pm

On August 31, 2013, Acting Waterloo Village Justice Roger Barto claimed that he was assaulted by two persons as he exited the Village Municipal building after conducting a court arraignment. Barto alleged that he was strangled and was struck over the head with a porcelain toilet tank top that had been removed from the building as part of court renovations.

A thorough investigation was conducted by the Village of Waterloo Police Department, the New York State Police, the Seneca County District Attorney’s Office and other State agencies with the assistance of expert medical authorities. As a result of that investigation, it has been determined that there is no credible evidence to substantiate Barto's assault claim.

On September 16, 2013, Barto stopped cooperating with the investigation and his attorney has prohibited the police from
questioning his client.

#1430356 --- 12/23/13 04:20 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: polaris]
The Mask Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Hidden Harbor
Originally Posted By: polaris
oh no…i smell a lawsuit evaporating into thin air….

Silly me. And here I thought it was all about getting the attention. LOL

#1430381 --- 12/23/13 06:00 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: drgnfly02]
polaris Offline

§ 240.50 Falsely reporting an incident in the third degree.
A person is guilty of falsely reporting an incident in the third
degree when, knowing the information reported, conveyed or circulated to
be false or baseless, he or she:
1. Initiates or circulates a false report or warning of an alleged
occurrence or impending occurrence of a crime, catastrophe or emergency
under circumstances in which it is not unlikely that public alarm or
inconvenience will result; or
2. Reports, by word or action, to an official or quasi-official agency
or organization having the function of dealing with emergencies
involving danger to life or property, an alleged occurrence or impending
occurrence of a catastrophe or emergency which did not in fact occur or
does not in fact exist; or
3. Gratuitously reports to a law enforcement officer or agency (a) the
alleged occurrence of an offense or incident which did not in fact
occur; or (b) an allegedly impending occurrence of an offense or
incident which in fact is not about to occur; or (c) false information
relating to an actual offense or incident or to the alleged implication
of some person therein; or
4. Reports, by word or action, an alleged occurrence or condition of
child abuse or maltreatment or abuse or neglect of a vulnerable person
which did not in fact occur or exist to:
(a) the statewide central register of child abuse and maltreatment, as
defined in title six of article six of the social services law or the
vulnerable persons' central register as defined in article eleven of
such law, or
(b) any person required to report cases of suspected child abuse or
maltreatment pursuant to subdivision one of section four hundred
thirteen of the social services law or to report cases of suspected
abuse or neglect of a vulnerable person pursuant to section four hundred
ninety-one of such law, knowing that the person is required to report
such cases, and with the intent that such an alleged occurrence be
reported to the statewide central register or vulnerable persons'
central register.
Falsely reporting an incident in the third degree is a class A
misdemeanor.

#1430384 --- 12/23/13 07:27 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: drgnfly02]
seneca dad22 Offline

I smell a Breaking Bad episode.....we all have always wondered where he gets his $$$

#1430388 --- 12/23/13 09:04 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: seneca dad22]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

But still, if he had had a handgun, he could have stopped the perp before it got out of hand.

#1430398 --- 12/23/13 11:39 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: drgnfly02]
why us Offline

if it smells like fish:
Two house fires
Fell down the court house steps
Was forced off the road in a car AND a motor cycle
Now this.
It is fish!!
Has me wondering.

#1430401 --- 12/24/13 09:26 AM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: drgnfly02]
polaris Offline

I hope before he arms himself with a gun he reads article 35 of the NYS penal law.

#1430402 --- 12/24/13 11:38 AM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: polaris]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Which part are you thinking of, that he should read?

#1430406 --- 12/24/13 12:20 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: drgnfly02]
polaris Offline

all of it. you can never know too much. 35.10 is a good starting place.

Edited by polaris (12/24/13 12:24 PM)

#1430407 --- 12/24/13 12:22 PM Re: Judge attacked outside court house [Re: drgnfly02]
Bill Gabrial Offline

Loc: Florida gulf coast
so someone is saying the judge caused those injuries himself? come on, really?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >