FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1412191 - 08/10/13 09:47 PM St. Anthony's Festival
Ethel Offline

Anyone know if advance sale ride tickets are being sold and if so who can I contact to make a purchase? Thank you.

FingerLakes1.com
#1412192 - 08/10/13 09:55 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Ethel]
Frisco kid Offline

Loc: Constantia NY
Call the S.M.S.

#1412214 - 08/10/13 11:47 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Frisco kid]
ProAct Offline

Loc: New York State, Seneca County
Also, The St Anthony's Festival Committee is looking for volunteers
to work the many food booths and cake booth. You do not have to be a member of the SMS or Rumseyville Clubs to be a volunteer worker that weekend.

Festival is Fri, 30 Aug, Sat, 31 Aug & Sunday, 1 Sep

SMS - 568-6526

#1412319 - 08/12/13 12:01 AM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: ProAct]
toober Offline

Loc: rochester,ny
Beer booth is covered though. They have the same people every year and they work open to close. I'm talking about the one by the bocce courts. Just hope none of them drive home after they are done drinking...I mean working.

#1412719 - 08/14/13 09:10 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: toober]
mR. TaToR Offline

Loc: yoda
I can not wait to eat some good food.

#1413100 - 08/17/13 10:52 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: mR. TaToR]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Why do they ship the profits from the festival overseas to Italy?
Whats up with that.

#1413126 - 08/18/13 12:21 AM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
toober Offline

Loc: rochester,ny
Bocce lessons

#1413127 - 08/18/13 12:38 AM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Runner13 Offline

Loc: Fingerlakes Region
Originally Posted By: Dr. Sarcassm Esq
Whats up with that.

Please provide the person's name and phone number at the SMS that confirms your statement. I need to research your source.

Runner13

Edited by Runner13 (08/18/13 05:03 AM)

#1413128 - 08/18/13 02:09 AM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Whats up with that.

Why not? Italy needs love, too.

#1413219 - 08/18/13 06:34 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: VM Smith]
ProAct Offline

The last I knew, profits were shared by the SMS and Rumseyville clubs and local charities.

#1413221 - 08/18/13 06:49 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: ProAct]
Bowler1 Offline

I think, many many moons ago, Jimmy Colella took the collections from the procession over to Italy when he went on his yearly visit.

#1413229 - 08/18/13 08:13 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Bowler1]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
History of the St. Anthony Festival

An earthquake struck southern Italy on November 23, 1980. The casualty toll was high in part because the tremor struck during Sunday night mass, as many residents sat in churches that would crumble in the quake. The 7.2 –magnitude quake struck at 7:34p.m and was centered in Eboli, south of Naples. In Balvano children were preparing for their first communion at 1000 year old Conza Della Compagna church. The violent shaking demolished the church and killed scores of people, including 26 children. Over the next few days it was discovered that over 3,000 people had died and 300,000 more would be homeless as winter began.

Many Italians in Seneca Falls had family, friends and ties to the southern Italian region devastated by the quake. Matt Bonacci and Matt Feola both from Giano Vetusta wanted to do something for the people and church of their home town. They decided to approach the SMS, SMS Auxiliary, Rumseyville Sportsman Club and Rumseyville Auxiliary about a celebration in honor of St. Anthony. Some of the profits would go to the restoration of the church in Giano Vetusta and the victims of the disaster. They decided to hold the festival Labor Day weekend even through St. Anthony’s Feast Day is June 13.

They began a huge undertaking of a three day event with rides, games of chance, Italian specialties, Bocce Tournament, 10/5 K race, and entertainment. On Sunday there would be a procession from a different club each year, carrying the St. Anthony statue on the shoulder of four men through the streets of Seneca Falls to St. Patrick’s Church where an Italian mass would be offered for the people of Seneca Falls.

The procession is kicked off with a series of booms(set-off by Young Explosives) to tell everyone that St. Anthony is going to church. At mass someone of Italian decent would be honor for contributions to their Italian Heritage, Community and Church.

The first year Vincent “Jimmy” Colella was honored with the Father Joseph Beatini Award.

Over the years the Festival has grown and expanded, trying to stay true to the original founders plans. Ideas come and go but the original concept still stands. The group still meets the first Sunday of each month throughout the year. The Commission is made up of members from SMS, SMS Auxiliary and Rumseyville. The Rumseyville Sportsmen Club no longer has an Auxiliary.

Except for the rides and entertainment all aspects of the Festival are handled by the clubs and their members and volunteer.

In 2012 they will celebrate the 32th year. The festival has only been cancelled one night in all the years due to rain.

Today the St. Anthony’s Commission supports local endeavors and St. Patrick’s Church with the proceeds from the Festival. The Commission sends all monies pinned on the statue of St. Anthony to maintain the church in Italy. The festival celebrates not only the Italian Heritage of Seneca Falls but supports local non-profits organizations in Seneca Falls and Seneca County.

The highlight of the festival has always been the awarding of the Father Beatini award at mass on Sunday. For the first 10 years only men were receiving the award. In 1990 Joyce Sinicropi was the first women to receive this award. Two of the women are associated with the Seneca Falls Historical Society and Joyce was a member of our board of directors. Only four women have ever received this honor including Laura Sandroni who was honored with her husband and seven sons in 2007.

It was the second and third generation Italians that wanted to honor St. Anthony and their Italian roots with this festival. Many of the basic traditions and activities stem from the religious practices that are followed in Italy. It truly is a slice of home to the many Americans who claim Italian heritage. The best part is everyone who enjoys Italian food and music and sports will find something at a St. Anthony’s Festival.

#1413347 - 08/19/13 05:46 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Festus]
ProAct Offline

Thanks for the clarification.

#1413389 - 08/19/13 10:31 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Runner13]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Runner13
Whats up with that.

Please provide the person's name and phone number at the SMS that confirms your statement. I need to research your source.

Runner13

See below, which is available through internet search, next time do some of your own work.

#1414943 - 08/30/13 12:06 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Ethel]
wallflower Offline

Loc: SF, NY
Does anyone know -
In the schedule of events for Saturday, it lists the following:
"1:00 PM to 5:00 PM - POP and ride all day for $15.00"
Does this mean "ride all day" is only until 5:00 or just that you can only purchase the 'ride all day' pass between 1 & 5?

#1414961 - 08/30/13 01:34 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: wallflower]

Don't pay Bob, I mean Dr. Sarcasm any heed, he's a troll. He makes this crap up out of thin air to. He's just looking to get a reaction from people.

Even if they do sent some of the proceed to Italy, it's an Italian festival, that would only make sense right?

#1414987 - 08/30/13 02:36 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: ]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: Hocks N Rice
Don't pay Bob, I mean Dr. Sarcasm any heed, he's a troll. He makes this crap up out of thin air to. He's just looking to get a reaction from people.

Even if they do sent some of the proceed to Italy, it's an Italian festival, that would only make sense right?

Let's go to 1st principles: It's none of the troll's business what the people who put on the festival do with the money that their festival earns.

#1414989 - 08/30/13 02:43 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: VM Smith]

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Originally Posted By: Hocks N Rice

Let's go to 1st principles: It's none of the troll's business what the people who put on the festival do with the money that their festival earns.

Agreed. If an Italian festival wants to send it's proceed to Italy, so be it. Bobby boy is just trying to play the ole bigoted "THUR SENDIN AMURIKAN MONEY OVERSEAS!" card.

#1415045 - 08/30/13 08:25 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: ]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
Guests staying with me decided to go to see the St. Anthony's Festival. They thought it would be fun. Problem is they were of the dark skinned persuasion. They felt very uncomfortable. It is really too bad but there it is. Maybe people don't know how to deal with non white individuals, which is obviously the case, but these were nice people who left. So much for having the event be welcoming to tourists. Maybe the locals have to become more color blind. Just because people who show up don't pass the paper bag test doesn't mean that the locals can't show a little common courtesy.

#1415064 - 08/30/13 11:25 PM Re: St. Anthony's Festival [Re: Here's Johnny]

Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny
Guests staying with me decided to go to see the St. Anthony's Festival. They thought it would be fun. Problem is they were of the dark skinned persuasion. They felt very uncomfortable. It is really too bad but there it is. Maybe people don't know how to deal with non white individuals, which is obviously the case, but these were nice people who left. So much for having the event be welcoming to tourists. Maybe the locals have to become more color blind. Just because people who show up don't pass the paper bag test doesn't mean that the locals can't show a little common courtesy.

What happened exactly? Was there a specific incident? Did someone say something? Dirty looks? I'm not saying I don't believe you; I absolutely know this can happen in Seneca Falls. I'm just curious what happened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >