FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1411556 --- 08/06/13 08:25 AM Rain Gutter Leaf Guards
Bowler1 Offline

Anyone have ideas on which product actually works in keeping all (or most)of the leaves and crap out of rain gutters? I have looked at the ones that are plastic that snap over the top of the gutter,(which seems that the leaves would just lay on top and when they get wet),the water would just run over them. I also looked at the metal ones that have a slight hump in them that are made of wire mesh, which looks like they would yield the same results. I do realize that which ever one is used, you probably would have to take them off at times and actually clean out the gutter. Would it be smarter not to put ANY kind of a leaf guard on, and just pony up and plan on cleaning them out from time to time?

FingerLakes1.com
#1411640 --- 08/06/13 09:14 PM Re: Rain Gutter Leaf Guards [Re: Bowler1]
zipdrive Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY
There are quite a few types of gutter leaf and debris guards available. They talk a lot about the various types on the Home Repair Clinic with home inspector Jim Salmon on WHAM 1180, Sat 6 to 10 am, and Sun 9 to 11 am. It seems most work to some degree, but the bottom line is, you will still have to clean them out eventually. None are 100% effective. Jim has some on his own property, and years of researching the topic. If you go to Jimsalmon.com, contact section near the top, you can send him an email question. He will get back to you with a concise answer. He would probably recommend a brand if you asked him.

#1411641 --- 08/06/13 09:43 PM Re: Rain Gutter Leaf Guards [Re: zipdrive]
Bowler1 Offline

Zip- Thank you for the suggestion,and the info,as I have just emailed the gentleman and will await his reply. I will try to catch his radio show as well, it sounds interesting. (I just have to remember how to find the AM stations on my radio-been quite a long time since that was fired up!! )

#1411762 --- 08/07/13 02:40 PM Re: Rain Gutter Leaf Guards [Re: Bowler1]
zipdrive Offline

We have a very hard time pulling in WHAM at our house near the chiro college in SF. A lot of days there is just no sign of it. Had to buy an extra AM antenna. Now at least I can hear it...some days better than others. You can also get it online through the WHAM web site. I would be interest to hear what Jim has to say. Can you post when he replies? I hired him to come to my house to look at two perplexing problems I was having. We was quite helpful.

#1411768 --- 08/07/13 02:54 PM Re: Rain Gutter Leaf Guards [Re: Bowler1]
zipdrive Offline

#1411781 --- 08/07/13 03:54 PM Re: Rain Gutter Leaf Guards [Re: zipdrive]
Bowler1 Offline

Gutterglove is EXACTLY what he recommended in his email to me. There is a company in Rochester that carries that product.I see that gutterglove also has the heated version, which may just be something to look at as well. I am going to give them a ring and see what transpires from there. THANK YOU !!