FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1409635 --- 07/18/13 11:34 PM Wegmans Lunch Bar
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
Whats up with the runaway lunch bar at Wegmans?
Two pieces of chicken, rice and a milk for $14???

Really???

FingerLakes1.com
#1409659 --- 07/19/13 01:59 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Loc: USA
Are the prices secret until you get to pay? Try somewhere else!

#1409661 --- 07/19/13 02:03 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Genevan Offline

You've never been then...

#1409684 --- 07/19/13 12:32 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

No, can't say as I have ever been to Wegman's lunch bar. But are you saying there are no prices posted anywhere? No price per item or price per pound? I know that at the prepared food buffet at the Wegman's in Geneva there's a sign that reads $8.49/lb. I agree that's a bit steep for the type of fare being served, and even though it looks to me like it tastes good, I'll bet that it isn't particularly healthful.

#1409782 --- 07/20/13 05:38 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Lucinda Knotts]

Wegman's caters to well-educated, decent-earning customer base. Naturally you are going to have to pay a little more for better-quality, healthier food and Wegman's caters to a market that can afford to. If you value saving a buck at the price of real nutrition, head on down to wall-world and grab some Hamburger Helper and Mountain Dew.

#1409805 --- 07/20/13 12:30 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: ]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: Hocks N Rice
Wegman's caters to well-educated, decent-earning customer base. Naturally you are going to have to pay a little more for better-quality, healthier food and Wegman's caters to a market that can afford to. If you value saving a buck at the price of real nutrition, head on down to wall-world and grab some Hamburger Helper and Mountain Dew.

That's exactly the point that LK, whom you replied to, is making: Since the prices are posted, as far as he knows, then if they are too high for you, you have the option of not buying there, and going elsewhere.

#1409808 --- 07/20/13 12:35 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Two pieces of chicken, rice and a milk for $14???

Really???

Really. That's what they're telling you, anyway, although it's always theoretically possible that they are mistaken about what their prices are.

#1409809 --- 07/20/13 12:45 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
Genevan Offline

Its a lunch bar....not catering for the royals...

#1409816 --- 07/20/13 01:52 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Originally Posted By: Genevan
Exactly. An expensive lunch bar where you pay high prices for convenience. But healthy is a more ambiguous question, especially if you're considering the amount of fried foods and stuff smothered in sauce. Tasty? Yes. Healthy is a different question.

#1409838 --- 07/20/13 07:40 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

It's catering to whomever Wegman's wants it to cater to. Boycott them...maybe they'll go out of business. Pack your own lunch, and eat it in your car, right outside...that'll teach them!

Look...I'm a thrifty guy, and I might not eat there, and I don't eat in most restaurants because I would want to go through the kitchen and check all of the ingredient labels; most every restaurant serves crap, IMO. I also won't touch maybe 80% of what's in a supermarket...same reason. Most of it, I wouldn't feed to my dog. Seriously, because I care about his health, too.

But, Wegman's is one of the better markets, quality wise, and I assume their restaurant is, too, although I've never eaten in one. Complaining on here isn't going to make them change their business plan, or make them switch to catering to a different market. They'll probably continue to dance with the one that brung 'em...it seems to be working out for them.

#1409892 --- 07/21/13 01:00 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
Genevan Offline

Yes, their primary target market is the swank nouvea riche of Geneva...whoever that is...

They sell the same thing 20 feet away in a cold case for $6...
Apparently they charge for it to sit in a hot pan...

#1409901 --- 07/21/13 02:09 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

How about little whine with that "jeez?" Again, if you don't like the prices go somewhere else. Just a suggestion.

#1409912 --- 07/21/13 03:01 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: ]
MissingArty Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Originally Posted By: Hocks N Rice

OMG, are you serious? Watch this to get well-educated. LMAO because people who are supposedly so smart do not even have a clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taLw2LhPoTU

#1409921 --- 07/21/13 05:10 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]

You don't have to be rich to shop at Wegman's. You just have to care about your health and demand higher quality and real nutrition for yourself and your family. Like I said before, if you don't like that I'm sure "Get HURR Dun"-Mart just down the road a piece has Easy Mac and Spam and high fructose corn syrup by the bucketload to suit your needs.

#1409928 --- 07/21/13 07:44 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
reds4256rose Offline

Loc: Watertown
It is possible to shop at Wegmans on a lower end income, all it takes is a little planning before hand and to have shopped in other stores (obviously). My cousin does not make the highest of wages but manages to save money at Wegmans compared to shopping at Tops, how much I am not sure but it is possible and he sometimes ends up with buying in bulk (could be a pro or con depending who you are haha.)! I will agree, that yes, their prepared foods and their lunch/salad bars can be quite pricey, but there's no employee there with a gun to your head forcing you to buy it! lol, I'm personally not a fan of their prepared foods or lunch bars, but their subs are awesome imo!

#1409934 --- 07/21/13 09:31 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Yes, their primary target market is the swank nouvea riche of Geneva...whoever that is...

They sell the same thing 20 feet away in a cold case for $6...
Apparently they charge for it to sit in a hot pan...

The standard multiplier for restaurant food is 3x the cost, just to support the overhead.

Your example meal contained rice. The 3 10 lb bags, and the 11 lb bag, of rice, that I've personally eaten since Nov, cost $2-2.50/lb. You can buy rice a LOT cheaper, but its not as tastey, has a higher glycemic index, and most of it is GMO, which I don't eat, knowingly. Right there's a major reason I don't eat in restaurants, along not eating msg or seed oils, not eating wheat, or anything that contains it (modified food starch, fi), or beet sugar, which all sugar is, unless it says "cane" (beets are 95% gmo, and so are corn and soy), or hfcs, etc., etc., etc.

The typical American diet is toxic garbage.

Same with chicken. Pastured or organic chicken costs a lot more. I'm not saying that's what W. serves, but I figure that many of the smarter, more knowledgeable customers that they cater to might demand it.

No one's forcing you to eat there, no matter what the actual reason(s) for their pricing; there's always KFC.

Tell the truth, now...you ate at Wegman's, complained, and they told you not to come back, didn't they?

#1409957 --- 07/22/13 04:15 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
rhysmay Offline

Loc: New york USA
VM Smith - your post is interesting re foods. But I am curious as to why you don't use "seed oils". I have read a couple of articles on various food and cooking and it seems that grapeseed oil and flaxseed oils are supposedly healthy. I'd be interested in what you say about it.

#1409973 --- 07/22/13 02:04 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: rhysmay]
MissingArty Offline

You folks should listen to VMSmith. He's tried to warn you and you just ignore it. You all know about agent orange and pesticides being sprayed on crops but, did you know that they've modified the seed so that it produces its own pesticide so that when a bug eats it the bug's stomach explodes. Now, they've gotten approval to use double the pesticide. You and your family are eating this. Then, when their seeds gets cross polinated on another farmer's crop, they sue the farmer and the farmer cannot use his own crops.

I urge the elders to step up and watch this film. Your family's health depends on you getting the information to them.

#1410025 --- 07/22/13 06:56 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
seneca dad22 Offline

Loc: NY
Everyone knows you pay more for prepared food.

I was in awe at Pittsford Wegman's recently. I could not believe the prepared foods.

The vegetarian line was about 10 steam tables long. They were making breakfast sandwiches to order. They had lobster rolls for $10 and lobster salad for $15 for about two scoops.

Geneva Wegman's is not a bad option for a quick lunch but there is no value. Top dollar for prepared food. Sounds about right to me.

#1410078 --- 07/23/13 01:07 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I watched it the other day, and it's excellent. I know a fair amount about the subject, because I read several health/nutrition sites every day, but I still learned some. Well produced, and the explanations were simple, concise, and clear. There is one section, "How to avoid gmo", at about 1:09, which is take away useful.

I posted it on another thread, about being arrested for front yard gardening. They used the term "survival gardens", and I thought that avoiding gm is an excellent way to increase your survival chances.

Thanks for posting it, MA.

#1410080 --- 07/23/13 01:17 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: rhysmay]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: rhysmay
VM Smith - your post is interesting re foods. But I am curious as to why you don't use "seed oils". I have read a couple of articles on various food and cooking and it seems that grapeseed oil and flaxseed oils are supposedly healthy. I'd be interested in what you say about it.

Good question. Various reasons. Some are gm, such as canola and cotton seed. Vegetable oil is generally a combo of corn, soybean, palm, and sunflower. Corn and soybean are gm. Palm is good, but most good is the unrefined, the taste of which is said to be too strong for mos peopl.

Also, the PUFA:MUFA ratio. Poly and mono unsaturated, that is. Many have too much omega6, and not enough O 3.

And rancidity. Rancidity=oxidation. Some have a low smoke point in cooking. The smoke point is where rapid oxidation starts occurring. Ever get stale chips? That's not the potatoes; it's rancid oil. Some now use olive oil, which is good.

Mark Sisson was a world class marathoner and Ironman. He did the high carb thing for years, but he wasn't really healthy, as his "about" tells. There's a pic, of him at every page top. He'llbe 60 this fall. This article is about fats/oils.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/rancid-fat-store-bought-mayo-and-ric-bran-oil/#axzz2Zoqvj32O

This guy's an Md, and it's a great site. He explains some stuff in the beginning of the article, and then gets into fats/oils metabolism.:

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/how-d...f-carbohydrates

I use VCO or lard (bacon fat is lard; don't buy the hydrogenated supermarket lard) for cooking, and olive oil for salads.

Watch out for adulterated olive oil; it's a big problem lately. I'm using Kirkland organiv EVOO. Got it at Amazon, but it's a Costco brand. Whatever you get, get organic, in a known brand...much less chance of it being cut, either with cheaper o oil, or even with vegetable oil. Not just Chinese...it's a big European problem, too.

#1410088 --- 07/23/13 03:11 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
rhysmay Offline

Thanks VM. Interesting information. when I was young and growing up on a farm, we used lard which my grandmother tried out and buthering time and canned. Now everyone thinks it is horrible. I use Olive oil from a speciality store.

#1410099 --- 07/23/13 04:23 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: rhysmay]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

YW! I'm on a 70% of total calories as fat, including saturated fat, moderate protein, low carb, diet. I've gone from 187, in 7/11, to 147 now, which is 3 lbs fewer than I weighed 44 years ago, at 19, when I was 2" shorter than I am now. And I was never obese, technically; even at 193, when I was 47, my BMI was 29.

I was briefly down to 137 in Jan., with a BMI of 20.2.

We need fat for health. The lipid theory, which various entities have been pushing for 40 years or more, is bad science, and a look around, at Orca America, shows the results.

Too many carbs, and sugar, in particular, is the problem.

I'm on a roughly 90% pure Primal diet. For our 4.6 million year homenid evolution, and for the roughly 200,000 years we've been much as we are, we didn't eat the grains and sugars we eat now, except for about the last 100 years. We don't tolerate this diet well.

We eat about 120 lbs of sugar/year (down from a recent 130; people are catching on, maybe); we can properly metabolize about 60, and that's the top limit; less is better. Soluble carbs (starches, which convert 100% to glucose in the body) and sugars, are non-essential; there is no dietary requirement for them. They're tasty, and we can handle some,but most of us eat far too much of them, when we can actually live best without them.

If our great grandparents didn't eat it, we shouldn't either. We should think of our diet in evolutionary terms, and "dance with the one what brung us". Just because some corporation has made a given product cheaply available to us, and our sold-out gov't agrees with the corp who dishes out the campaign contributions, and there are revolving doors between the corps and the regulatory agencies, doesn't mean it's good for us, or that we should eat it.

Take wheat...please...keep it away from me. Humans have been eating it for fewer than 10,000 years. It didn't go north of the Alps until Roman soldiers brought it north, after the time of Christ. In evolutionary terms, that's an eyeblink, and many, even most, of us, and particularly Northern European types, haven't had time to adapt to it. To top it off, modern wheat has 10x the gluten that it had 50 years ago.

Some things I've found usefully instructive:

Robert Lustig, Md
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...ube.WbPh9F8Iu74

Gary Taubes, author of "Good carbs, Bad Carbs" at Walnut Creek. 10 part,but they're about 12 min each.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...ube.Ejd5Y3LC0kM

William Davis, Md

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/featured-articles/

Every Friday, MDA has a new "Primal Success Story". Here's the archive. Pics are truly worth many words, but the stories are inspiring, too, and keep me on the path. It's not a hard path, because it doesn't involve any caloric restriction. You've got to know what to do, and what to eat, and what not to, but it's not rocket science. Once you learn it, and practice it for a bit, it's second nature. It's really not how much you eat; it's how your body handles what you do eat. Overweight is a metabolic problem, and not an excess calory problem. Keeping both blood sugar and insulin low are keys to success.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/success-story-summaries/#axzz2Zq99dYBv

This book, by R. Blaylock, Md, is great. It convinced me that there's very good evidence that MSG, aspartate, and Cysteine cause Alzheimer's, ALS, and Parkinsons. You can buy it in paper, or in ebook. A library may have it. Or, I have the ebook, and can and will lend it free, for 2 weeks, to anyone who wants it. I'd need an email addy, I tell Amazon, and then it's sent to you for the 2 weeks. It's a fast read.

http://www.amazon.com/Excitotoxins-The-Taste-That-Kills/dp/0929173252

#1410107 --- 07/23/13 07:10 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
MissingArty Offline

VMS My son and I go up to Trader Joe's in Rochester twice a month to get groceries. We get our meat at Autum's farm and there is an organic vegetable farm in Phelps. Every time we go there it is busier than the time before. My son also got an app for his phone called "Buycott," so that you can scan the bar code and see if it's on the don't buy list.

I am frustrated that people are this ignorant, especially women, since it is mainly women that buy and prep the food. They are serving poison to their children and they don't even know it. We are trying to warn them. Why won't they listen? Even after you and I have discussed it here no one mentions it.

No one cares that they and their kids have a recurring pesticide manufacturing factory right in their own intestines and now our great government has approved double strength pesticide spraying.

For those who might be interested just because of the political side of it, you can look up HR 933, most senators voted for it, including Gillibrand and Schummer. Missouri senator Roy Blunt slipped HR933 into the bill after getting a load of cash from a pesticide company. Obama signed it and afterwards people learned that most senators didn't even know that it was in the bill because "they didn't read it." So what is the big deal about HR933? It gives the company Monsanto protection from being sued by anyone. Why would an American company go to such lengths to get protection from law suits?

#1410110 --- 07/23/13 08:58 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
rhysmay Offline

This is why, as taxpayers, we should urge support for programs that the NYS Agricultural Experiment Station are doing - such as breeding fruits and vegetables that are resistant to insects and diseases so fewer pesticides can be used. I am not taking genetically modified. Also important are the IPM (Integrated Pest Management) programs statewide that attempt to help growers and farmers find ways to use fewer pesticides as well as schools and public places to use fewer chemicals.

#1410130 --- 07/23/13 01:12 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
seneca dad22 Offline

Originally Posted By: MissingArty
VMS My son and I go up to Trader Joe's in Rochester twice a month to get groceries. We get our meat at Autum's farm and there is an organic vegetable farm in Phelps. Every time we go there it is busier than the time before. My son also got an app for his phone called "Buycott," so that you can scan the bar code and see if it's on the don't buy list.

I am frustrated that people are this ignorant, especially women, since it is mainly women that buy and prep the food. They are serving poison to their children and they don't even know it. We are trying to warn them. Why won't they listen? Even after you and I have discussed it here no one mentions it.

No one cares that they and their kids have a recurring pesticide manufacturing factory right in their own intestines and now our great government has approved double strength pesticide spraying.

For those who might be interested just because of the political side of it, you can look up HR 933, most senators voted for it, including Gillibrand and Schummer. Missouri senator Roy Blunt slipped HR933 into the bill after getting a load of cash from a pesticide company. Obama signed it and afterwards people learned that most senators didn't even know that it was in the bill because "they didn't read it." So what is the big deal about HR933? It gives the company Monsanto protection from being sued by anyone. Why would an American company go to such lengths to get protection from law suits?

"I am frustrated that people are this ignorant, especially women, since it is mainly women that buy and prep the food."

Um, if you think mainly women buy and prep the food then you are the ignorant one my dear.

#1410131 --- 07/23/13 01:13 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: rhysmay]
seneca dad22 Offline

Originally Posted By: rhysmay
This is why, as taxpayers, we should urge support for programs that the NYS Agricultural Experiment Station are doing - such as breeding fruits and vegetables that are resistant to insects and diseases so fewer pesticides can be used. I am not taking genetically modified. Also important are the IPM (Integrated Pest Management) programs statewide that attempt to help growers and farmers find ways to use fewer pesticides as well as schools and public places to use fewer chemicals.

I don't know about you but I don't want to eat an apple that won't turn brown naturally.

#1410140 --- 07/23/13 04:11 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: seneca dad22]
rhysmay Offline

Not really understanding your point. Flesh turning brown in a natural process of oxidation. The variety Cortland, for example, is a very old apple variety that has been around for years and has its own natural ability to resist oxidation when peeled. That is why it is recommended for using in fresh salads. Oxidation is not a disease or caused by an insect. Occurs naturally.

#1410148 --- 07/23/13 04:45 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: rhysmay]
seneca dad22 Offline

Sorry, earlier this year the Experimental station was touting an apple that would not turn brown naturally...I was referring to that variety. Apples are supposed to brown, this one did not.

#1410149 --- 07/23/13 04:48 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: seneca dad22]
seneca dad22 Offline

From NPR:

"Now, we've reported extensively on the heated debate over , and there's no denying that genetically modified (GM) foods are a polarizing issue . But would an apple that doesn't turn brown prevent us from telling whether it's rotten? The short answer is no. For the long answer, read on.

The non-browning trait aims to please consumers who don't like brown apples or the off taste from the preservatives frequently used to maintain color and fresh appearance in packages of pre-sliced apples, says Neal Carter, Okanagan's president. "Ultimately, we just want people to eat more apples," he says. Carter also argues the innovation would help apple slice producers, who can lose up to half of their product from browning during production.

Nevertheless, as the public comment period on a petition to approve these apples closed last month, many consumers — are they safe to eat?

First, let's look at the physical properties of apples. No matter how you slice it, every apple turns brown eventually. "When their flesh is cut, the oxygen in the air interacts with chemicals in the flesh of the apple," says , a plant scientist at Cornell University. An enzyme called polyphenol oxidase, or PPO, makes melanin, an iron-containing compound that gives apple cells a brown tinge. The same type of "oxidative" browning happens in the browning of tea, coffee or mushrooms, explains Brown.

Within five minutes of slicing, browning can alter the taste and might not be as aesthetically pleasing, but it doesn't mean the apple is old or rotten.

To prevent oxidative browning, the GM apples developed by Okanagan stop PPO production with a man-made gene containing pieces of four natural PPO genes. An insertion with gene fragments is an automatic red flag for the apple cell — usually the first step of viral attack — so it chops up every sequence of DNA that looks like the suspicious fragment, and the apple flesh stays light.

"The beauty of this [process] is it's a natural plant defense mechanism," says Carter. Even when sliced, these apples stay clear of browning for about two weeks — that's roughly the same extended life span as apple slices from McDonald's and Burger King, which use lemon juice and calcium ascorbate to prevent browning.

But if the apple doesn't go brown, then how do you tell if it's rotten? An apple with just oxidative browning isn't automatically rotten. Rotting comes from a fungal or bacterial infection, which causes the apple to go either mushy or dry. Infecting spores, not melanin, also give the flesh a dark brown hue. So, taking PPO out of the equation won't make a rotten apple appear pristine. "'Bad' apples will still be evident," says Brown. Rotting GM apples look rotten and turn brown from a bacterial or fungal infection the same as a conventional apple."

#1410155 --- 07/23/13 05:11 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I know it's off topic from the original post, but I'm hoping more see it here than they would in the kitchen section.

80% of Pre-Packaged Foods in America Are Banned in Other Countries

By Babble.com | Shine Food – Mon, Jun 24, 2013 9:51 AM EDT

If you or your kids enjoy pre-packaged convenience foods commonly found in grocery stores across the U.S. such as Froot Loops, Swanson dinners, Mountain Dew, and frozen potato and bread products, you may think twice before purchasing them after hearing what they contain: dangerous chemicals that other countries around the globe have deemed toxic to the point that they're illegal, and companies are fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for including them in food products.

In a new book Rich Food, Poor Food, authors Mira and Jason Calton provide a list of what they term "Banned Bad Boys" - ingredients commonly used in up to 80% of all American convenience food that have been banned by other countries, with information about which countries banned each substance and why.

And though it might not surprise you to hear that Olestra - commonly used in low/no-fat snack foods and known to cause serious gastrointestinal issues for those who consume it (understatement) - is on that list, having been banned in both the United Kingdom and Canada, you may be shocked to hear that Mountain Dew, Fresca and Squirt all contain brominated vegetable oil, a substance that has been banned in more than 100 countries "because it has been linked to basically every form of thyroid disease - from cancer to autoimmune diseases - known to man."

Related: The 25 healthiest foods for under $1

Way to go, FDA! Woot!

You might also be upset to hear that the food coloring used to make your kid's delicious Mac & Cheese dinner visually appealing - yellow #5 and yellow #6, namely - is made from coal tar, which among other things is an active ingredient in lice shampoo and has been linked to allergies, ADHD, and cancer in animals. And gaaaaah.

Then there's azodicarbonamide - commonly found in frozen dinners and frozen potato and bread products - which is used make things like bleach and foamed plastics like those found in yoga mats (tasty!). Azodicarbonamide has been banned in most European countries because it's known to induce asthma, and is in fact deemed so dangerous that in Singapore its use carries a hefty $500,00 fine and up to 15 years in prison.

Yet, according to the FDA, it's SO TOTALLY FINE for us to keep shoveling it into our kid's faceholes: "[Azodicarbonamide] is approved to be a bleaching agent in cereal flour and is permitted for direct addition to food for human consumption."

Oooookay then.

Finally, there's butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) - found in Post, Kelloggs and Quaker brand cereals - which is made from petroleum and is a known cancer-causing agent. It's been banned in England and Japan, but those of us in the U.S. can keep right on serving up to our children for breakfast, because AMMURICA. And FREEDOMZ.

Anyone else find all of this, ohhhh I don't know, more than a tad bit disturbing? I'm not ashamed to say I have love for the blue box Mac & Cheese, and to think that chemicals known and recognized world-wide as completely toxic are included in that - a product openly marketed as being a meal FOR KIDS - makes me more than a little ragey. I mean, those chemicals can't be what makes it taste so good, right? So can't we, umm, just use something else instead? (PLEEEASE DON'T MAKE ME GIVE UP THE MAC & CHEESE, PLEEEASE.) Sigh.

-By Tracey Gaughran-Perez

#1410156 --- 07/23/13 05:20 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: seneca dad22]
MissingArty Offline

sdad22 no I'm not ignorant and thanks for speaking up. Keep the conversation going sdad22.

You guys are worried about them coming out with the apple that doesn't brown. Why are you not worried about what is out now? The worst possible food that you and your family are eating right now is corn and anything made with it.

I will post the times on the film of the important parts so that you don't have to watch the whole film.

For now, here is the top ten. I haven't read this particular article, I just picked it as I was in a hurry.

http://naturalsociety.com/top-10-worst-gmo-foods-list/

#1410161 --- 07/23/13 06:02 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
seneca dad22 Offline

I am aware of GMO's as I read about this and support product labeling in general. I have signed many Monsanto petitions and attempt to feed my partner and I local, in season food as much as possible.

My original response regarding apples was regarding the previous poster talking about breeding fruits and vegetables...which in fact is GMO...I guess I did not get my point across.

Bottom line; IMO, in this area, generally speaking, people do not care where their food comes from. They think all meat comes on Styrofoam and wrapped in nice cellophane.

#1410164 --- 07/23/13 06:12 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: seneca dad22]
seneca dad22 Offline

I had an old school farmer in my office one day last year. He was gloating about his big fat check from Monsanto. I told him he should be ashamed of himself taking money from the unethical company. HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. HE HAS FARMED IN JUNIUS FOR OVER 40 YEARS. Scary.

#1410180 --- 07/23/13 08:55 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: seneca dad22]
MissingArty Offline

One of the narrators is Lisa Oz, wife of Dr. Oz.

2:00 to 8:00 should peak your interest.

"...they have spider genes that they put into goats in the hopes that they can milk the goat and get spider web protein to make bullet proof vests. I'm not making this up. They've taken cow genes and put them into pigs so that the pigs have cow hides." Jeffrey Smith

Vitamin C: extracted from gmo corn.

#1410310 --- 07/25/13 04:39 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
brominated vegetable oil,

It's an even bigger problem than that. I 1st became aware of the bromine problem through the Iodine Project, a couple of years ago. I've taken supplemental iodine since then. And one of the several benefits I get from not eating wheat is that I no longer worry about brominated baked goods. The good news is that sufficient iodine helps with bromine excretion, among many other things. Most Americans are deficient, due to soil depletion, processed foods, and the Great Salt Phobia of the last few decades.

Also, although GM wheat was developed some years back, it wasn't introduced. But naturalnews.com has, in the last few months, had quite a few stories documenting that GM wheat has escaped from Monsanto test plots. That was in Washington state, I think, but they've had the plots in 15 states, I think. This has caused some countries to reject American wheat shipments, for obviously good reasons. Obvious to everyone but the USDA, that is:

http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/bromidedominancetheory.html

A bromide dominance condition may develop when bromine,
acquired through environmental, occupational, iatrogenic or dietary
exposure, causes bromide levels in the body to rise high enough to
inhibit iodine enzyme metabolism.

Iodine supplementation alters the competitive bromine-iodine
relationship causing bromide excretion. Thus, bromide dominance is
diminished and proper iodine enzyme metabolism may be restored.

In the toxic 21st Century, these questions must be raised:

Would we have such a severe iodine deficiency without bromide
dominance?

If iodine deficiency is the underlying cause of many diseases,
is bromide "the underlying cause of the underlying cause?"

Is bromide dominance creating a public health crisis?

Where Does Bromide Dominance Come From?

Bromide is an insidious, additive used in many common products, and as a
pesticide. Because of the sheer amount of bromide-supplemented
products, exposure to this man-made additive has caused a depletion of
iodine in human populations. Studies in lab animals provide alarming
evidence that even small amounts of bromide exposure can be toxic. (1)

What products contain bromide?

Currently, bromide is found in pesticides (methyl bromide), some bread
products (potassium bromate), brominated vegetable oil that may be
added to citrus-flavored drinks, hot tub cleansers, certain asthma inhalers
and prescription drugs, plastic products, some personal care products,
and some fabric dyes.

Effects of Bromide on the Organs

Iodine depletion weakens the thyroid and other organs. (2)(3)(4)(5)(6) In
individuals where the bromide-iodine ratio is less, bromide may not be
problematic.

Thyroid

Elevated bromide levels have been implicated in every thyroid disease,
from simple hypothyroidism to auto-immune diseases to thyroid cancer.
Malenchenko found bromide levels 50 times higher in thyroid cancer than
normal thyroid tissue. (7)

Rats fed even the minimal amount of bromine expected to be encountered
in the environment underwent goiter-like changes (8), an arguable case of
bromide dominance. In the FIRE project, exposing rats to the brominated
flame retardant compound, bromocyclodecane, showed consistent effects
on the thyroid hormone axis, including decreased T4. Thyroid gland cells
have increased size and larger nuclei, indicating increased synthetic
activity. (9)

With enhanced intake of bromide, fully one-third of the iodine content in
the thyroids of rats was replaced by bromide. (10)

Skin

Skin biopsied from a woman who had been on bromide-containing
sedatives for nearly four years found increased bromide in normal skin
and three times that in an affected skin lesion. (11)

An infant administered a syrup containing sodium bromide developed
vegetative lesions on the face and scalp. (12)

Technicians exposed to brominated compounds for prolonged periods
developed multiple cherry angiomas on the trunk and extremities. (12)

Mental

The psychiatry literature abounds with cases of elevated bromide levels
being implicated in mental conditions from depression to schizophrenia.
(14)(15)(16) As Guy Abraham, MD, asks, "How many people with
misdiagnosed bromism are currently treated with psychiatric drugs?"(17)
Bromide was used to suppress women's sex drive in the 1950s.

Hearing

Potassium bromate, a bread additive, is known to cause renal damage and
permanent deafness in animals and man. (18) In the FIRE project, the most
relevant effect on exposing rats to 28 days to the brominated flame
retardant compound, tetrabromobisphenol-A, was hearing. Specifically,
the lower frequency range was affected . (19)

Kidneys

The ability of bromate to cause cancer, especially kidney cancer, is a
significant health concern. (20) The gene expression in kidneys in rats
given a high dose 100-week potassium bromate in their drinking water
showed marked gene expression difference from the lower non-cancer
dose. The high dose kidney gene expression resembled an adenoma-like
expression pattern. (21)

BROMIDE IN PRODUCTS
BREAD

Potassium bromate as an additive to most commercial bread and baked
goods probably provides the most egregious contribution to bromide
overload in Western cultures.

Bromated flour is product "enriched" with potassium bromate. Some
commercial bakers claim they use bromated flour because it yields
dependable results, and it makes more elastic dough which can stand up
to bread hooks and other commercial baking tools. (22) However,
Pepperidge Farm manages to use only unbromated flour with excellent
results.

NOTE ON BANNING POTASSIUM BROMATE IN BREAD:

The UK banned bromate in bread in 1990.
Canada banned bromate in bread in 1994. (23)
Proposal P230 in Australia: Food Regulation Ministerial Council (FSANZ)
still has not finalized its July 2007 proposal to mandate iodized salt in
breads, breakfast cereals and biscuits.

Back in 1999, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the
FDA to prohibit the use of potassium bromate, charging that the FDA has
known for years that bromate causes cancer in lab animals, but has failed
to ban it. (24) As of September 2007, the US FDA responded to Breast
Cancer Choices inquiry with the statement, " Potassium Bromate is still
listed as a safe additive."

WATER
When drinking water containing bromide is exposed to ozone, bromate
ion, a powerful oxidizing agent, is formed. Two significant recalls of
drinking water involving bromate have occurred: Wegmann's Food You
Feel Good About Spring Water Recall in 2006, and Coca-Cola's Dasani in
2004. (25)

TOOTHPASTE, MOUTHWASH AND GARGLES
Potassium bromate is an antiseptic and astringent in toothpaste, mouth
and gargles. Very toxic if taken internally. May cause bleeding and
inflammation of gums in toothpaste. (26)

BROMIDE IN FLAME RETARDANTS
Flame retardants reduce the flammability of a wide variety of commercial
and household products. Some brominated home retardants migrate from
the products in which they are used and are entering the environment
and people. (27)

PERSONAL PRODUCTS AND SOME COSMETICS
Sodium bromate in Products: Permanent Waves, Hair Dyes, Textile Dyes
Sodium bromate is in permanent wave neutralizers, hair dye material, and
the textile dyeing process. (28) Benzalkonium is used as a preservative
in some cosmetics. (29)

References:

Breast Cancer Choices is indebted to the pioneering bromide research
of Guy E. Abraham, MD, as well as the clinical and intellectual
contributions of David Brownstein, MD, and Jorge Flechas, MD.

(1) Vobecky M et al., Interaction of Bromine with Iodine in the Rat Thyroid Gland at Enhanced
Bromide Intake, Biol Trace Elem Res 1996.
(2) Velicky J et al., The Effect of Bromide on the Ultrastructure of Rat Thyrocytes, Ann Anat 2004.
(3) Pavelka S et al., Bromide Kinetics and Distribution in the Rat. II Distribution of Bromide in the
Body, Biol Trace Res 2000.
(4) Velicky J et al., Long Term Action of Potassium Bromide on the Rat Thyroid Gland, Acta
Histochem 1998.
(5) Velicky J et al., Potassium Bromide and the Thyroid Gland of the Rat: Morphology and
Immunochemistry 1997.
(6) Vobecky M et al., Interaction of Bromine with Iodine in the Rat Thyroid Gland at Enhanced
(7) Malenchenko AF et al., The Content and Distribution of Iodine, Chlorine and Bromide in the
Normal and Pathologically Changed Thyroid Tissue, Med Radiol 1984.
(8). Velicky J et al., Potassium Bromide and the Thyroid Gland of the Rat: Morphology and
Immunochemistry, RIA and INAA Analysis, Ann Anat 1997.
(9) http://www.credocluster.info Issue 6, July 2006
(10) Vobecky M et al., Interaction of Bromine with Iodine in the Rat Thyroid Gland at Enhanced
(11) Hubner K et al., Skin Bromide Content and Bromide Excretion in Bromoderma Tuberosum, Arch Derm
Res 1976.
(12) Bel S et al., Vegetant Bromoderma in an Infant, Pediatric Dermatology 2001.
(13) Cohen A et al., Cherry Angiomas Associated with Exposure to Bromides, Dermatology 2001.
(14) Horowitz BZ et al., Bromism from Excessive Cola Consumption, Clinical Toxicology 1997.
(15) Levin M., Transitory Schizophrenia Produced by Bromide Intoxication, Am J Psychiatry 1946.
(16) http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/library/randrep/pb_paper/mr1018.2chap10.html.
(17) Abraham G., The Combined Measurement of the Four Stable Halides by the Ion-Selective Electrode
Procedure Following Their Chromatographic Separation on a Strong Anion Exchange Resin: Clinical
Application, The Original Internist 2006.
(18) Morizono T et al., The Effects of Cetrimide and Potassium Bromate on the Potassium Ion
Concentration in the Inner Ear Fluid of the Guinea Pig, Physiol Bohemoslov 1988.
(19) http://www.credocluster.info, Issue 6 2006.
(20) http://www.rtctoc.com/bromate.htm.
(21) Geter D et al., Kidney Toxicogenomics of Chronic Potassium Bromate Exposure in F334 Male
Rats, EIMS Meta Data Report 2006.
(22) http://www.wisegeek.com.
(23) http://www.rtctox.com/bromate.htm.
(24). http://www.cspinet.org/new/bromide.htm.
(25) http://www.rtctox.com/bromate.htm.
(26) http://www.healthy-communications.com/hazards_of_cosmetics_by_carol_barzac95.html.
(27) http://www.credocluster.info, Issue 6 2006.
(28) http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11292709/sodium_bromate_99_5.html.
(29) http://www.gina.antczak.btinternet.co.uk/CU/CUHOME.htm.

#1410311 --- 07/25/13 05:02 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
MissingArty Offline

This is Zen Honeycutt, a mother of two, interviewing an independent scientist about the effects of Glyphosate (Roundup). (He says that an island in Canada is the Cancer Capitol of the World.) 11:00 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLyp4-Ob3Eo

"Through the EPA’s new standards, the amount of allowable glyphosate in oilseed crops such as flax, soybeans and canola will be increased from 20 parts per million (ppm) to 40 ppm, which GM Watch acknowledged is over 100,000 times the amount needed to induce breast cancer cells. Additionally, the EPA is increasing limits on allowable glyphosate in food crops from 200 ppm to 6,000 ppm."

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-glyphosate-roundup-epa-483/

#1410312 --- 07/25/13 05:18 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: rhysmay]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
such as breeding fruits and vegetables that are resistant to insects and diseases so fewer pesticides can be used. I am not taking genetically modified.

Right. Selective breeding of plants has been done in an organized manner, for specific objectives, for many decades, even a couple of centuries, maybe, and crop observation and seed selection from plants with desired qualities has no doubt been done, informally, by farmers, since the advent of agriculture, maybe 8-10,000 yrs ago. But GM, meaning GE, plants, using the techniques of genetic engineering, are not to be confused with plants bred by traditional selection processes.. They are a brand new Frankenfood.

It involves this, in 3 very short paras:

http://www.biotechnologyonline.gov.au/popups/int_splicing.html

#1557420 --- 12/30/20 07:22 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Kevin Paine Offline

Loc: Latvia
At Wegmans delicious, fresh, and easy ready-to-eat choices such as sandwiches, salads, Family Pack entrees, Asian bowls, and pasta bowls, are available any time of day. Wegmans just released a new app allowing customers to order meals to go, making lunch or dinner options a breeze. Ruschell Caiello from Wegmans Food Markets explained customers can place their orders through the app and have them available in-store, curbside pickup, or delivered to the home or office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >