FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1409635 --- 07/18/13 11:34 PM Wegmans Lunch Bar
Genevan Offline

Loc: Geneva
Whats up with the runaway lunch bar at Wegmans?
Two pieces of chicken, rice and a milk for $14???

Really???

FingerLakes1.com
#1409659 --- 07/19/13 01:59 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Loc: USA
Are the prices secret until you get to pay? Try somewhere else!

#1409661 --- 07/19/13 02:03 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Genevan Offline

You've never been then...

#1409684 --- 07/19/13 12:32 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

No, can't say as I have ever been to Wegman's lunch bar. But are you saying there are no prices posted anywhere? No price per item or price per pound? I know that at the prepared food buffet at the Wegman's in Geneva there's a sign that reads $8.49/lb. I agree that's a bit steep for the type of fare being served, and even though it looks to me like it tastes good, I'll bet that it isn't particularly healthful.

#1409782 --- 07/20/13 05:38 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Lucinda Knotts]

Wegman's caters to well-educated, decent-earning customer base. Naturally you are going to have to pay a little more for better-quality, healthier food and Wegman's caters to a market that can afford to. If you value saving a buck at the price of real nutrition, head on down to wall-world and grab some Hamburger Helper and Mountain Dew.

#1409805 --- 07/20/13 12:30 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: ]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: Hocks N Rice
Wegman's caters to well-educated, decent-earning customer base. Naturally you are going to have to pay a little more for better-quality, healthier food and Wegman's caters to a market that can afford to. If you value saving a buck at the price of real nutrition, head on down to wall-world and grab some Hamburger Helper and Mountain Dew.

That's exactly the point that LK, whom you replied to, is making: Since the prices are posted, as far as he knows, then if they are too high for you, you have the option of not buying there, and going elsewhere.

#1409808 --- 07/20/13 12:35 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Two pieces of chicken, rice and a milk for $14???

Really???

Really. That's what they're telling you, anyway, although it's always theoretically possible that they are mistaken about what their prices are.

#1409809 --- 07/20/13 12:45 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
Genevan Offline

Its a lunch bar....not catering for the royals...

#1409816 --- 07/20/13 01:52 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Originally Posted By: Genevan
Exactly. An expensive lunch bar where you pay high prices for convenience. But healthy is a more ambiguous question, especially if you're considering the amount of fried foods and stuff smothered in sauce. Tasty? Yes. Healthy is a different question.

#1409838 --- 07/20/13 07:40 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

It's catering to whomever Wegman's wants it to cater to. Boycott them...maybe they'll go out of business. Pack your own lunch, and eat it in your car, right outside...that'll teach them!

Look...I'm a thrifty guy, and I might not eat there, and I don't eat in most restaurants because I would want to go through the kitchen and check all of the ingredient labels; most every restaurant serves crap, IMO. I also won't touch maybe 80% of what's in a supermarket...same reason. Most of it, I wouldn't feed to my dog. Seriously, because I care about his health, too.

But, Wegman's is one of the better markets, quality wise, and I assume their restaurant is, too, although I've never eaten in one. Complaining on here isn't going to make them change their business plan, or make them switch to catering to a different market. They'll probably continue to dance with the one that brung 'em...it seems to be working out for them.

#1409892 --- 07/21/13 01:00 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
Genevan Offline

Yes, their primary target market is the swank nouvea riche of Geneva...whoever that is...

They sell the same thing 20 feet away in a cold case for $6...
Apparently they charge for it to sit in a hot pan...

#1409901 --- 07/21/13 02:09 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

How about little whine with that "jeez?" Again, if you don't like the prices go somewhere else. Just a suggestion.

#1409912 --- 07/21/13 03:01 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: ]
MissingArty Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Originally Posted By: Hocks N Rice

OMG, are you serious? Watch this to get well-educated. LMAO because people who are supposedly so smart do not even have a clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taLw2LhPoTU

#1409921 --- 07/21/13 05:10 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]

You don't have to be rich to shop at Wegman's. You just have to care about your health and demand higher quality and real nutrition for yourself and your family. Like I said before, if you don't like that I'm sure "Get HURR Dun"-Mart just down the road a piece has Easy Mac and Spam and high fructose corn syrup by the bucketload to suit your needs.

#1409928 --- 07/21/13 07:44 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
reds4256rose Offline

Loc: Watertown
It is possible to shop at Wegmans on a lower end income, all it takes is a little planning before hand and to have shopped in other stores (obviously). My cousin does not make the highest of wages but manages to save money at Wegmans compared to shopping at Tops, how much I am not sure but it is possible and he sometimes ends up with buying in bulk (could be a pro or con depending who you are haha.)! I will agree, that yes, their prepared foods and their lunch/salad bars can be quite pricey, but there's no employee there with a gun to your head forcing you to buy it! lol, I'm personally not a fan of their prepared foods or lunch bars, but their subs are awesome imo!

#1409934 --- 07/21/13 09:31 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: Genevan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Yes, their primary target market is the swank nouvea riche of Geneva...whoever that is...

They sell the same thing 20 feet away in a cold case for $6...
Apparently they charge for it to sit in a hot pan...

The standard multiplier for restaurant food is 3x the cost, just to support the overhead.

Your example meal contained rice. The 3 10 lb bags, and the 11 lb bag, of rice, that I've personally eaten since Nov, cost $2-2.50/lb. You can buy rice a LOT cheaper, but its not as tastey, has a higher glycemic index, and most of it is GMO, which I don't eat, knowingly. Right there's a major reason I don't eat in restaurants, along not eating msg or seed oils, not eating wheat, or anything that contains it (modified food starch, fi), or beet sugar, which all sugar is, unless it says "cane" (beets are 95% gmo, and so are corn and soy), or hfcs, etc., etc., etc.

The typical American diet is toxic garbage.

Same with chicken. Pastured or organic chicken costs a lot more. I'm not saying that's what W. serves, but I figure that many of the smarter, more knowledgeable customers that they cater to might demand it.

No one's forcing you to eat there, no matter what the actual reason(s) for their pricing; there's always KFC.

Tell the truth, now...you ate at Wegman's, complained, and they told you not to come back, didn't they?

#1409957 --- 07/22/13 04:15 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: VM Smith]
rhysmay Offline

Loc: New york USA
VM Smith - your post is interesting re foods. But I am curious as to why you don't use "seed oils". I have read a couple of articles on various food and cooking and it seems that grapeseed oil and flaxseed oils are supposedly healthy. I'd be interested in what you say about it.

#1409973 --- 07/22/13 02:04 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: rhysmay]
MissingArty Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
You folks should listen to VMSmith. He's tried to warn you and you just ignore it. You all know about agent orange and pesticides being sprayed on crops but, did you know that they've modified the seed so that it produces its own pesticide so that when a bug eats it the bug's stomach explodes. Now, they've gotten approval to use double the pesticide. You and your family are eating this. Then, when their seeds gets cross polinated on another farmer's crop, they sue the farmer and the farmer cannot use his own crops.

I urge the elders to step up and watch this film. Your family's health depends on you getting the information to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taLw2LhPoTU

#1410025 --- 07/22/13 06:56 PM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
seneca dad22 Offline

Loc: NY
Everyone knows you pay more for prepared food.

I was in awe at Pittsford Wegman's recently. I could not believe the prepared foods.

The vegetarian line was about 10 steam tables long. They were making breakfast sandwiches to order. They had lobster rolls for $10 and lobster salad for $15 for about two scoops.

Geneva Wegman's is not a bad option for a quick lunch but there is no value. Top dollar for prepared food. Sounds about right to me.

#1410078 --- 07/23/13 01:07 AM Re: Wegmans Lunch Bar [Re: MissingArty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I watched it the other day, and it's excellent. I know a fair amount about the subject, because I read several health/nutrition sites every day, but I still learned some. Well produced, and the explanations were simple, concise, and clear. There is one section, "How to avoid gmo", at about 1:09, which is take away useful.

I posted it on another thread, about being arrested for front yard gardening. They used the term "survival gardens", and I thought that avoiding gm is an excellent way to increase your survival chances.

Thanks for posting it, MA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >