FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1409614 - 07/18/13 04:30 PM Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives?
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Pardon me if this has been discussed before . . .

I just received my new Time Warner rate hike. It DOUBLED - no exaggeration! I have been satisfied with TWC service, but honestly can not afford the new rate. I have the combined 'All In One Package' (Basic TV , Phone & Internet.) Any suggestions for a more economic competitor for the Seneca Falls' area?

Thank you.

FingerLakes1.com
#1409622 - 07/18/13 05:22 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Ghosts]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I love love my DirecTV. No outages. All in one, but you need a land line for the DVR, the land line is included in the all-in-one price. If you sign up, let me know. I'll give you my account number and we both get $10 off a month for the next year, on top of whatever discount they offer you for switching. I pay about $100 a month for Internet, DSL, HBO and phone.

#1409624 - 07/18/13 05:29 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: twocats]
Ghosts Offline

Thanks, Twocats. I will let you know.

I am still shopping and calling. When I called TWC to cancel my service, they asked me to wait for a callback tomorrow before finalizing my decision. They have escalated my concern to higher management and trying to 'find' me a better rate. lol My new rate is $235.00 per month!

#1409626 - 07/18/13 05:34 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: twocats]
Ghosts Offline

Do you mind a couple questions?

Do you know your Internet speed? Do you have basic TV cable plus HBO? How about DVR? I love to breeze through commercials, but that's a luxury I may forego.

#1409628 - 07/18/13 05:46 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Ghosts]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

I have a premium cable package; I forgot what it's called, but it includes ESPN, NFL Network, TBS, TNT, and all those assorted channels. I also have a DVR. I never watch live TV because I can't stand commercials. I only have one TV in the house though, and I think DirecTV charges for each additional receiver. I also bought my DVR so I don't have a monthly fee for that either. I think the HBO is about $11.99 extra a month. I also tend to order a few movies a month and they are $3.99- $5.99 each but they always send coupons for rent 2 movies, get one free. Between the rentals and the coupons, it's hard to tell you what my exact bill would be without the extras, but I know it is far far cheaper than TWC.

As far as Internet speed, I don't know what it is, but I have no problems with speed, and I have no patience. Everything loads nearly instantly on my iPad. I am also the only one who uses the Internet in my home, so I don't have a multiple users issue. I play simple games and apps, but I don't play WOW or any of the other massive online real time games.

#1409644 - 07/18/13 09:04 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: twocats]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: twocats
I love love my DirecTV. No outages. All in one, but you need a land line for the DVR, the land line is included in the all-in-one price. If you sign up, let me know. I'll give you my account number and we both get $10 off a month for the next year, on top of whatever discount they offer you for switching. I pay about $100 a month for Internet, DSL, HBO and phone.

You do not need a land line for the DVR.

I have DirecTV and no land line. My DVR works just fine...

#1409647 - 07/18/13 09:21 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Rascal]
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
She probably meant she needed a landline for the DSL.

#1409653 - 07/18/13 09:42 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Rascal]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Back 7 or 8 years ago, when I first got DirecTV, they said I needed a land line for the DVR so it could dial in and get updates or whatever, but I've since gotten a newer DVR and I'm sure their technology has been upgraded. I just remember them telling me about the landline for the DVR. This was even before they had the all in one package with Verizon, and I think I still had my Internet through TWC.

Edited by twocats (07/18/13 09:43 PM)

#1409731 - 07/19/13 01:28 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: twocats]
Ghosts Offline

Yippee! Doing the happy dance!

After careful consideration and the fact that I am a "long time, valuable customer," TWC has canceled my rate hike. My new rate will be $ .00 increase. Of course, this was after I placed an order to cancel my service, tweeted @TWC_Help, and FaceBooked them!

Thanks again, Twocats! I will keep you in mind when this drama, I'm certain, plays out again.

#1409833 - 07/20/13 02:14 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Ghosts]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
The biggest irritation with Time Warner is seeing the ads for special deals/very low pricing to entice new customers and nothing being done for long time customers. Long time customers are paying more than twice as much for the triple package as new customers. Time Warner defends that practice with telling long time customers you had the same price break when you were a new customer. Anyone else find this annoying?

Don't blame me. I voted for Romney. The lesser of two evils.

#1409834 - 07/20/13 02:27 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: SilverFox]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I agree SF those commercials tip me right over.

#1409835 - 07/20/13 03:22 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Della]
The Masher Offline

Loc: NY
Me too!! That's the offer you they advertise to get you in the door. It's a basic package. I don't believe that includes any upgrades such as turbo speed or the DVR, that's extra. I call them about every other month and it usually works to get my bill reduced. Last week, without any changes to my services, I got my bill down another $20 a month. I have the DVR, turbo speed internet (3 in 1 pack) my new rate is $138.82. It includes tax and I got 2 premium channels HBO & Cinemax included. It's a promo they offer to new customers. I never hurts to try and see what they are willing to do for you to keep you as a customer.

Edited by The Masher (07/20/13 03:25 PM)

#1409839 - 07/20/13 04:39 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: SilverFox]
Ghosts Offline

It's very annoying!

I was ready to leave them behind. I believe that placing an order to cancel (two weeks out to give me time to find another service) that made them know that I was serious. I also think my postings on the Social Network sites helped. However, I have a friend, a 10 year customer, that TWC just sarcastically wished good luck and let him go. Absolutely no attempt to negotiate and try keep him. That was about two years ago. So, I wasn't optimistic that I could persuade them. I really don't know how they can retain customers when they double rates, in one month, with no advance notice.

#1409895 - 07/21/13 09:22 AM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Ghosts]
The Masher Offline

Loc: NY
I find that it depends on who answers your call. Last time I called and was disconnected when we were discussing alternatives. All that customer service rep wanted to offer were down grades to my service. I waited a few minutes in hopes that he called me back being aware we were disconnected. I didn't get a call back. So I tried again, at that point frustrated because you have to go back through all the touch tone options and get transferred a couple times to a rep that can help and start all over again. The next person I got offered me more service at a lower rate.

I've gone through that before. Took a small discount and called back a few weeks later and said that just isn't enough. I got it down a little more. At that time, I was satisfied, within a few weeks I got my bill down $40 a month.

A few weeks ago I got a notice that my promo was expiring. A few days later, I got another notice saying as a valued customer we're going to extend the promo and there won't be any additional fees.

It is frustrating when you do see the commercials and think seriously, I've been a customer for how long and I can't get a better deal? I was ready to switch too. I was looking at a $70 difference in my bill if I switched. There are a few things that kept me w/ them. Only one bill and no contracts. (I hate contracts) and the inconvenience of switching all of my equipment over. Which I would be willing to do for $70 a month. So at this point, I'm satisfied. And the promo I got is good for a year. So I'll see how it goes!

#1409925 - 07/21/13 01:14 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: The Masher]
Dr117 Offline

Loc: Way out West
Go Direct TV and be a happy customer again.JMO

#1409926 - 07/21/13 01:22 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: The Masher]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Just so you know, there is only one bill with DirecTV, and they handle all of the installation. The new channel numbers take a bit of getting used to, and I did miss the weather on the 9's from RNews. Other than that, one the reasons I stay with DirecTV is that I get the same price as new customers. One year, they offered Sunday Ticket for free to new customers. I called to say that one of the reasons I was their customer was because they gave regulars the same deals as new customers. They gave me the season of Sunday Ticket for free.

#1409949 - 07/21/13 09:24 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: twocats]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
What happens if you have more than one tv in the house?

Don't blame me. I voted for Romney. The lesser of two evils.

#1409955 - 07/21/13 11:25 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: SilverFox]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
You pay $6 extra for another tv, and then they waive it. I have no idea why it is on the bill that way. Last nite, I called them because Fri nite when the storm hit us I turned tv off and went to bed. So Last nite for some odd reason I had no localstations and called Directv customer service and he talked me thru getting it back. It worked but while we were waiting for it to reboot I told him how unhappy I was that the storms was messing up my stations and I would just as soon go back to Time Warner, except for the price. So He turned around before we hung up and said he was reducing my bill $3 a month for 12 months and hoped that the weather would not effect my viewing.

#1409979 - 07/22/13 10:56 AM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: sassyone]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

I also occasionally lose the satellite during a bad thunderstorm, but I never notice it because I almost always watch from my DVR list. I only find out when I go to watch that show and it's got an interruption in the middle. Most shows are repeated so often these days that I just click on "view upcoming' and DVR it again (if it was a must see).

#1410066 - 07/22/13 08:04 PM Re: Suggestions for Time Warner Alternatives? [Re: Ghosts]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ghosts
My new rate is $235.00 per month!

is that for the premium packages?

that is very high

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >