FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1406903 --- 06/27/13 02:12 PM Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE
Teonan Offline

Loc: The Annex

At this time of year, this is worth seeing.

Show this picture to your spouse, your kids, grand kids, and friends. It could save their lives. Remember what this spider looks like and be careful while gardening and cleaning.
It's summertime & cleanup is going on. Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces & woodpiles. They also tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

The Brown Recluse Spider is the most
dangerous spider that we have here in the USA.

A person can die from itís bite. We all should know what the spider looks like. Brown Recluse bites are dangerous and can have permanent and highly negative consequences.

Please be careful...

FingerLakes1.com
#1407734 --- 07/02/13 10:31 PM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: Teonan]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
The problem is they look like any large spider, which we see
tons of every day.

#1407743 --- 07/02/13 11:07 PM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: sassyone]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: sassyone
The problem is they look like any large spider, which we see
tons of every day.

Not really. They have the violin shape on the top of the leg attachment area, with the violin neck pointing back toward the abdomen. They also have six eyes, instead of the usual eight.

Edited by VM Smith (07/02/13 11:09 PM)

#1407746 --- 07/02/13 11:29 PM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: VM Smith]
Dr117 Offline

Loc: Way out West
They are 100% pure nasty little spiders. They like bigger people VM you are way to skinny to have ant worry's.

I think you are more on the Black Widow's side of taste all that skinny tight body you worked so hard for. "Hard Body VM"

#1407760 --- 07/03/13 07:41 AM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: VM Smith]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

LOL, VM never get close enough to any spider (if I can help it) to notice the number of eyes or the shape of the body. As soon as I see a spider I usually run the other direction.

#1407844 --- 07/03/13 02:17 PM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: sassyone]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: sassyone
LOL, VM never get close enough to any spider (if I can help it) to notice the number of eyes or the shape of the body.

My thoughts exactly!

#1407868 --- 07/03/13 04:53 PM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: Dr117]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
"Hard Body VM"

Old body VM. I remember the good old days, when all of my wrinkles were still in the right places.

My technique, when observing what is surely one of nature's true wonders, the spider, is to smush them, and then use the magnifying glass to count the eyes, before fucusing it more tightly, and burning them to a crisp, and using the power and purity of God's own sun, to send them straight to Hell, where they belong.

I don't really stand on ceremony, though; if there's not enough sunlight, I'll use a Bic.

#1408275 --- 07/08/13 06:59 AM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: VM Smith]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
Brown Recluse Spiders are usually not found within New York State, they are more prevalent in the southern states.

Isaac Asimov

#1408333 --- 07/08/13 04:45 PM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: Dizzyt]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

They may be "more prevalent" in the southern states, but they certainly are here. About 5 yrs ago a neighbor of mine was bitten from one that was in his utility shed. Since it was a neighbor, sure worried me.

#1408376 --- 07/09/13 08:53 AM Re: Brown Recluse Spider - BEWARE [Re: Dizzyt]
Forest Girl Offline

Loc: The Heights
Originally Posted By: Dizzyt
Brown Recluse Spiders are usually not found within New York State, they are more prevalent in the southern states.

That was once the case, but in recent years they have been found more often in NY. They likely hitched rides north with the snowbirds. \:o