FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1405505 --- 06/17/13 03:23 PM WTH?
MissingArty Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Connie Marie Gashler 14 hours ago near Albuquerque, NM.

so... unbelievable and wonderful news!! my dad just called me and said that tonight A SUNDAY night, a woman (Nancy Smith) from the city gardens showed up AT HIS DOOR and said that she knows about what I have done with social media, and that apparently people have been calling their offices to demand justice for my dad. They particularly did not like the fact that citizens of the city were planning to march in protest. She said that they will allow him to grow his corn there, provided that I delete all my comments from facebook about this matter. My dad has asked that I honor that, and that the fight not continue. I know that MANY people out there want me to continue this fight, and lead some sort of crusade. I would be willing to do so, but I need to leave my family out of it now. My dad is old and just wants a peaceful existence. He has no desire to fight this any longer. I am so impressed by what people can do when they unite together. I will leave my posts on my timeline here until morning, so that people that I do not know who have read this via shares on my friends pages, can see what the out come is. over all this post has been shared nearly 2000 times directly, and at least 1000 times on other pages such as the "march against Monsanto" page. If just 10 people saw each one of those shares and read it, that means over 30,000 people all over the world have read the story.... and I think that is a modest estimate. of those 30,000+ people, how many called in, or got ready to organize a march or petition..?... hundreds..and hundreds of people have contacted me directly as well. the power of social media is undeniable, and the power of the people, is a force to be reckoned with. We the people can do so much good, if we just wake from our slumber, and fight the good fight.
154Like Share.188 people like this..5 of 89

Edited by MissingArty (06/17/13 06:34 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1405512 --- 06/17/13 04:45 PM Re: WTH? [Re: MissingArty]
heymom Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I don't think I could read that much in a million years.

#1405523 --- 06/17/13 06:08 PM Re: WTH? [Re: heymom]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Dang Mom...you and I think alike!

#1405533 --- 06/17/13 06:37 PM Re: WTH? [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
MissingArty Offline

I'm very sorry about that. I just deleted all that. I'm trying to find her original post. The city where her father lives will leave him alone and let him keep his corn if the daughter deletes everything she has put on facebook. That's why I titled it "WFH." Again, sorry.

#1405537 --- 06/17/13 06:56 PM Re: WTH? [Re: MissingArty]
MissingArty Offline

Found it.

Connie Marie Gashler,
Yesterday via mobile:

"I am SO upset right now I can hardly believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My father, who is 73 and has his phd in agri-business, loves gardening. His little patio garden at my folks condo is his pride and joy. He looks forward to planting all his amazing heirloom seeds each year, and reaping an unbelievably fabulous bounty from the tiny plot. (he knows agriculture/horticulture like no one else... he's like "the garden whisperer") ...well... the other day a dude with a clipboard came by their condo... he was a representative of the city council there in Centerville, UT. He asked my dad about his garden, and my dad proudly told him about what he does for it, and about all his fantastic heirloom seeds that he has preserved since the 70's and before. He is especially proud of his corn, that he has specially selected, and fine tuned each year... he has saved seeds from the sweetest and juiciest ears and dried them with care, until they grow absolute corn-perfection. He told the man all about his wonderful corn, and then the man moved on. well.. yesterday my dad got a letter from the Centerville city council saying that he has to RIP OUT all his corn because it is not MONSANTO seed!!!!!!!! The letter detailed for him how the city of Centerville only allows Monsanto's "serendipity corn" seed to be planting within city borders!!!!!!!
so Monsanto obviously must be funneling $$ to this Podunk city so they can actually keep a thug on PAYROLL to go around and harass old people and normal citizens. In this world of drought and famine they are going to make folks destroy crops..... How disgusting... Monsanto's filthy tentacles reach everywhere it seems... my dad has been an outspoken opponent of the company since he worked with farmers in former soviet countries in the 90's... he even testified before congress once about the illegal practices, and damage the company was doing to the planet. He was threatened by them then, and he toned it down after that... but here they are again... trying to show a little old man in his 70's that THEY are boss..... what can be done??????? we are all thinking we want to write to the slc tribune, and to the Centerville papers.... ( Kristina Whitley Gashler , would you write one too???? you have strong literary skills) ... this is just so very very wrong.... please post any other ideas here of what we can do...."

Sorry it is backwards. I didn't know I would be able to get the first post since she had deleted everything but someone was smart and saved it.

Just thought you'd be interested. Kind of unbelievable.