FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1405363 - 06/16/13 09:17 PM Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Attacking dog shot in Elmira after two men severely bitten

A pit bull that severely bit two young men and later charged at an Elmira police officer was shot and killed by that officer Saturday afternoon.

The dog, one of two pit bulls involved in the incident, jumped the fence at 351 Grove St. a little after 4 p.m. and bit the two neighbors.

Elmira Police Lt. Mike Suhey said the men were bitten on their hands, arms, legs and one in his crotch area. He said the bites were severe.

The dog’s owner came out, picked up the pit bull and put it back in the fenced-in area, Suhey said.

Meanwhile, police and firefighters arrived and a crowd of neighbors began forming in the area. Things got chaotic, Suhey said.

As firefighters treated the injured men, police officers placed themselves between the fenced area and firefighters, Suhey said.

But the same dog jumped the fence again and charged at the officers.

Suhey said the officer who shot the dog did not have a choice.

“If the dog had gotten past the officer, it could have bitten firefighters or anyone in the crowd,” Suhey said. “He did the right thing.”

Craig Spencer, Elmira animal control officer, also was at the scene and quickly got a lasso around the second pit bull and took it into custody.

The two injured men were taken to a hospital for treatment.

Suhey said the pit bulls were licensed and up to date on their shots. He also said the investigation is continuing.

9:07 PM, Jun 15, 2013

FingerLakes1.com
#1405392 - 06/17/13 12:27 AM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: newsman38]
Dr117 Offline

Loc: Way out West
shouldn't have any pit bulls in this country just for reason like this. Then the owner not even locking it up after it was placed back inside the fence. Hope they have a good home owners insurance policy and the dog gets put down ASAP.

#1405627 - 06/18/13 12:23 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: Dr117]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
Would you like to know what's even more disturbing? There is a Daycare ran in that Apartment Home, Apartment A.

Edited by FL1 Mod 2 (06/19/13 08:14 PM)

Isaac Asimov

#1405660 - 06/18/13 03:33 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: Dizzyt]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
I agree that is disturbing. Why the state would let someone as irresponsible as a pit bull owner operate a daycare center is beyond me.

#1405685 - 06/18/13 10:14 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: Blue_man]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Why the state would let someone as irresponsible as a pit bull owner operate a daycare center is beyond me.

No doubt. You should say "as that pit bull owner"; his irresponsibility was that he didn't have a top on the pen that was intended to hold dogs of a breed that is well known to be a good jumper and climber.

In reality, the article didn't say that the day care operator was the dogs' owner.

Edited by VM Smith (06/18/13 10:18 PM)

#1405741 - 06/19/13 06:47 AM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: VM Smith]
Blue_man Offline

Loc: Required, FD
Anyone who who owns any pitbull is irresponsible. Those things are inherently dangerous. At least a gun can be handled safely, properly stored, etc. a living creature bred to kill can't.

#1405830 - 06/19/13 08:03 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: Blue_man]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Blue_man
Anyone who who owns any pitbull is irresponsible. Those things are any more inherently dangerous. At least a gun can be handled safely, properly stored, etc. a living creature bred to kill can't.

I don't agree that any pit owner is irresponsible. I don't think they're any more dangerous, regarding the damage they're capable of, than any large breed.
Pits aren't that big; larger breeds are capable of doing as much, or more, damage. Rotts and German shepherds, fi, have a higher bite pressure.
I don't agree that every pit owner is irrespnsable. I don't agree that they're bred to kill. I don't agree that they can't be controlled. If a Bengal tiger can be controlled, I don't see any problem in controlling a pit.

Edited by VM Smith (06/19/13 08:07 PM)

#1405870 - 06/20/13 08:49 AM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: VM Smith]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.

#1405880 - 06/20/13 10:34 AM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: Festus]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

The phrase which he used, and which I was addressing, is "capable of".

Your list has to do with which breeds cause the most damage, which has to do with propensity for aggression, as well as other factors, and is a separate issue. The two should not be conflated.

My central point is that any animal can be controlled, and that any failure in control is not a fault of the animal, but of the keeper.

The point I was making to him is that a dog with a greater bite strength is capable of doing, that is, has the capacity to do, more damage.

Pits are smart, athletic, and persevering. They are, fi, one of the very few dogs that can be taught to climb trees. Those traits are a good part of the charm which makes them attractive to so many.

They can make them dangerous, too. The same perseverence which makes them capable climbers also means that when they do attack, as all breeds will, including those that are bigger and stronger, and thus capable of doing more damage, they often don't quit. In dog/dog fights, this often means that they ignore the losing dog's usual submissive gestures, and continue the attack.

This distinction, however, will be moot to anyone who has his neck or skull crushed, or jugular torn, by a Rott's bite, and dies.

Anybody who keeps any dog in a confinement that is inadequate is negligent, and should be treated the same way as would a landlord who, say, has a high balcony with an inadequate railing. If the railing is missing, or if he knew of its inadequacy, it's criminal negligence. Claiming that one didn't know of the existence of gravity is not believable, and is no defense.

If I, who has never kept a pit, know that their climbing ability is legendary, and that they can be dangerous, then there is no reasonable excuse for this owner not to have known. The cage should have had a top on it, and a concrete floor, or a mesh, anti-digging bottom, buried enough so that the dog wouldn't have to walk on it.

I don't believe that people should be prohibited from having things that can be, or even things that are, dangerous, whether they be guns,dogs, snakes, or sharp tools.

I do think that anyone who negligently allows any of these things to harm others should suffer consequences severe enough to serve as instruction and warning to others not to make the same wrong moves. In this case they were cheapness, sloppyness, laziness, and, probably, a double dose of delusional, overly hopeful thinking, which is not quite the same as stupidity, although it can look the same, at 1st glance. Rather, it's allowing yourself to do something stupid, when you're really smart enough to know better.

It's akin to being too cheap to buy a gun safe, while feeling wealthy enough to buy a gun. It's akin to leaving a loaded gun in a drawer, while convincing yourself that your child will never find it, or that you've trained him well enough so that he won't touch it, or that he's smart enough not to touch it simply because he's your kid. You should know better. And if you don't, it shouldn't be excused.

Edited by VM Smith (06/20/13 10:54 AM)

#1405889 - 06/20/13 10:57 AM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: VM Smith]
Sketch Offline

Loc: NYS
I was initially worried that the artist Pit Bull was shot in Elmira.

Another PB thread. The same old chestnut. Any breed that can rip my head off is not safe. They're animals, not predictable beings. Kind of like Chicago Jesus.

#1405911 - 06/20/13 02:34 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: VM Smith]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.

#1405925 - 06/20/13 03:28 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: Festus]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

A sad story, with a happy ending. I'm happy that Vick was punished. I don't think dogs should be allowed to, let alone encouraged to, fight, so I obviously don't believe pits should be bred for fighting, as they historically have been, by some.

Pits have, or can have, many great qualities. I agree with those who say that some of the bad ones are often due to improper socialization, but I also know that some have been bred into some of them.

But, what has been bred in, can be bred out, to a large degree, and there are many lines that have been bred to be less aggressive, although all dogs are dogs, and not sheep. May the more gentle dogs, and their breeders, prosper and share love.

While I'm a great believer in adopting shelter dogs, and am a shelter mutt owner, all who get a new pit, or pit cross, and particularly an adult, which has already been socialized to a point where change is harder, and maybe impossible, should be aware of the risk they may be signing on to. You probably won't know the bloodline, and can't know, with certainty, what the dog has been subjected to.

My dog is a Rott type, possibly with a shepherd cross (tan markings, instead of mahogany, and a little longer muzzle), and when I got him from the Beverly, at age 3, Dorothy Comerford told me she'd dealt with dealt with his owner since the dog was a pup. He used to leave him chained out, in all weather, and then he moved, and left him there, chained. Who knows what else he did?

But I've been lucky; he's a great and loving pooch, who has appeared to have appreciated being treated nicely, from the start, with me, and I've been fortunate to have had 11 years of his wonderful company.

But, he's 101 lbs, and he is what he is, and so he's never out of my control. With a dog like that, it's particularly important to be smarter than the dog. I am, although my SO says, "Just barely...I'm pretty sure...".

Edited by VM Smith (06/20/13 03:33 PM)

#1405944 - 06/20/13 07:15 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: VM Smith]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
The phrase which he used, and which I was addressing, is "capable of".

Your list has to do with which breeds cause the most damage, which has to do with propensity for aggression, as well as other factors, and is a separate issue. The two should not be conflated.

My central point is that any animal can be controlled, and that any failure in control is not a fault of the animal, but of the keeper.

The point I was making to him is that a dog with a greater bite strength is capable of doing, that is, has the capacity to do, more damage.

Pits are smart, athletic, and persevering. They are, fi, one of the very few dogs that can be taught to climb trees. Those traits are a good part of the charm which makes them attractive to so many.

They can make them dangerous, too. The same perseverence which makes them capable climbers also means that when they do attack, as all breeds will, including those that are bigger and stronger, and thus capable of doing more damage, they often don't quit. In dog/dog fights, this often means that they ignore the losing dog's usual submissive gestures, and continue the attack.

This distinction, however, will be moot to anyone who has his neck or skull crushed, or jugular torn, by a Rott's bite, and dies.

Anybody who keeps any dog in a confinement that is inadequate is negligent, and should be treated the same way as would a landlord who, say, has a high balcony with an inadequate railing. If the railing is missing, or if he knew of its inadequacy, it's criminal negligence. Claiming that one didn't know of the existence of gravity is not believable, and is no defense.

If I, who has never kept a pit, know that their climbing ability is legendary, and that they can be dangerous, then there is no reasonable excuse for this owner not to have known. The cage should have had a top on it, and a concrete floor, or a mesh, anti-digging bottom, buried enough so that the dog wouldn't have to walk on it.

I don't believe that people should be prohibited from having things that can be, or even things that are, dangerous, whether they be guns,dogs, snakes, or sharp tools.

I do think that anyone who negligently allows any of these things to harm others should suffer consequences severe enough to serve as instruction and warning to others not to make the same wrong moves. In this case they were cheapness, sloppyness, laziness, and, probably, a double dose of delusional, overly hopeful thinking, which is not quite the same as stupidity, although it can look the same, at 1st glance. Rather, it's allowing yourself to do something stupid, when you're really smart enough to know better.

It's akin to being too cheap to buy a gun safe, while feeling wealthy enough to buy a gun. It's akin to leaving a loaded gun in a drawer, while convincing yourself that your child will never find it, or that you've trained him well enough so that he won't touch it, or that he's smart enough not to touch it simply because he's your kid. You should know better. And if you don't, it shouldn't be excused.

Wow! I actually AGREE with you! You have never been more RIGHT! Touche', Captain...

#1405955 - 06/20/13 10:03 PM Re: Pit Bull shot after biting men, charging cop [Re: Kitty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Do I win a prize? ;\)