FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1405355 - 06/16/13 06:46 PM What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall?
cinlou Offline

Loc: Montezuma, NY USA
Haven't been there in awhile so I stopped in to walk around today. I can't believe how empty it is! What is going on with management that they can't get any stores in? Of course I do know they made FYE leave and a few other stores went out of business but wow! It is the worst I have ever seen it in the 20 years I have lived in this area.

FingerLakes1.com
#1406969 - 06/27/13 09:10 PM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: cinlou]
fingerlakeshiker Offline

Loc: Auburn
fye has also left destiny, i like that store and have to go to great northern mall to find one.

#1407916 - 07/03/13 11:00 PM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: fingerlakeshiker]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
They are gone from Eastveiw also.

#1415789 - 09/04/13 11:51 AM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: Code Red]
seneca dad22 Offline

Loc: NY
f.y.e. closed over 100 locations in 2009, 52 more in 2012 and 1 more in 2013.

#1415908 - 09/05/13 10:01 AM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: seneca dad22]
cinlou Offline

Went to Watertown yesterday and stopped at the Salmon Run Mall. FYE is open there and business is good according to the sales clerk. My husband was very happy to make a purchase there!

#1416000 - 09/05/13 04:30 PM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: cinlou]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
I was there about a week ago on a week day about 2 p.m. and think there were five customers in the whole mall counting me and I didn't buy anything.

Don't know how any store can afford the rent there and stay in business, which is why most of them have not.

#1416561 - 09/09/13 06:49 PM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
cinlou Offline

There were a lot of stores there, very few empty ones. Unlike the FingerLakes Mall!

#1418669 - 09/24/13 12:15 PM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: cinlou]
potstirer Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: cinlou
Went to Watertown yesterday and stopped at the Salmon Run Mall. FYE is open there and business is good according to the sales clerk. My husband was very happy to make a purchase there!
You can't compare any Salmon Run Mall stores with ones that are/were in the Finger Lakes Mall. Watertown only does well thanks to Fort Drum. It seems that every time I go to Watertown there is a brand new store, restaurant or hotel which are always full of customers. In my opinion Finger Lakes Mall will be a thing of the past very soon.

#1418807 - 09/25/13 12:17 PM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: potstirer]
cinlou Offline

I think you are right about Finger Lakes Mall. It is nice to have a space indoors to walk though!

#1420366 - 10/05/13 10:37 AM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: cinlou]
cinlou Offline

I read The Citizen's letters to the editor and someone recommended turning it into an outlet mall then they recommended turning it into a SUNY Four year college. I think outlet stores would do well at that mall however I do not think it would make a good college. Yes, perhaps if there is not enough room at CCC they could rent space there and offer classes. However, I think CCC has to deal with financial issues and work on their own facility right now.

What do you think should happen at the mall?

#1420411 - 10/05/13 12:42 PM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: potstirer]
LittleKing Offline

Originally Posted By: potstirer
Originally Posted By: cinlou
You can't compare any Salmon Run Mall stores with ones that are/were in the Finger Lakes Mall. Watertown only does well thanks to Fort Drum. It seems that every time I go to Watertown there is a brand new store, restaurant or hotel which are always full of customers. In my opinion Finger Lakes Mall will be a thing of the past very soon.

It's not needed, frankly.

There's Destiny about half an hour to the east. The outlet mall about a half an hour to the west. Ithaca about an hour south. Then you have the big box stores in the Auburn area: Wal-Mart, Lowes, BJs, Staples, etc.

And, beyond that, you have Amazon.com and other mail order sites. People don't need malls like they used to.

#1422397 - 10/17/13 11:12 AM Re: What is Happening with the Finger Lakes Mall? [Re: LittleKing]
Sketch Offline

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: LittleKing
[quote=potstirer][quote=cinlou]
It's not needed, frankly.

There's Destiny about half an hour to the east. The outlet mall about a half an hour to the west. Ithaca about an hour south. Then you have the big box stores in the Auburn area: Wal-Mart, Lowes, BJs, Staples, etc.

And, beyond that, you have Amazon.com and other mail order sites. People don't need malls like they used to.

I wonder. Eastview is always hopping but it caters to the high end market located in that part of Rochester. Medley Center boarded up quite a awhile back because the crowd was getting too rough and it scared customers away. Bus routes now run to Marketplace Mall.