FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1403703 - 06/03/13 08:47 PM Goin Postal....literally
peaches007 Offline

Loc: New York
Penn Yan owner of Goin Postal was actually 'goin postal' on the Penn Yan fire department staff that was asked to meet the Varsity Boys Lacrosse school bus in town, last Tuesday after winning sectionals. Most parents did not know that there was going to be fire trucks. None of the team or coaches new. What a wonderful surprise for everyone involved. The first fire truck lead the way, then a truck with lights, followed by the bus, then cars with another fire truck following. Everyone cheering, beeping, lights flashing and having a great time celebrating their big win. This unplanned event occurred approx 9:00-9:30 pm. After a short ride through down town we all ended back up at the high school. It was wonderful to see the happiness and pride in these kids/young men/players faces. Until I look over to a woman standing in high school parking lot, looked to be barefoot, in the down pour of rain, screaming at the top of her lungs and shaking her arms in an angry manner at one of the volunteer fireman driving. At that time, the team gathered their belongings off the bus and headed to the locker room. This woman screamed and carried on for at least 15 minutes. Then walked towards the school and was trying to get in. I don't know how far she got, but she should be absolutely ashamed of herself. Penn Yan is a small community and a close community, that seems to really enjoy the teams/sports. Their are a lot of people that support the teams year after year, whether they have family on the team or they don't. These are good kids, playing a sport trying to stay out of trouble, keeping their grades up. The coaches spending hours working with these kids on a daily basis and caring for their team. So I would like to thank the team for a great season, the coaches for everything you do. And thank you to the PY fire department for doing that for the team. It was great!!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#1403707 - 06/03/13 09:10 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: peaches007]
ropeman Offline

Loc: Dundee
Congratulations to the PY Mustangs Lacrosse and job well done to the PY Fire Dept. The Dundee Fire Dept has done this community service for years for the sports teams that win big. It is a sense of community pride for all involved....it doesn't hurt anyone either. Great job by all in PY.

#1403718 - 06/04/13 04:30 AM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: peaches007]
Marge Offline

Loc: new york
Apparently she is not a local. This happens with any big athletic victory. They must have rung the bell, too, right? I guess she goes to bed early if it was only 9-9:30 p.m. Glad she likes kids and their successes. It's not like this is happening every night of the week. WOW. Maybe she had a bad day - the fire department should have checked with her before they did this - NOT. What a party-pooper.

#1403762 - 06/04/13 01:32 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: Marge]
girl2 Offline

Loc: NY
I heard the fire trucks last week and told my husband must be the Mustangs won. I think it's wonderful they do this for the kids. We are proud of each every lacrosse player. I remember over the years hearing the fire trucks leading the winning team into town. I love our community.

#1403765 - 06/04/13 02:10 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: girl2]
PY tax Payer Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY USA
It was great that everybody came out the team. I can remember when the trucks were in Benton waiting for the school buses. I think that more places should do this..... It is GREAT......

#1403768 - 06/04/13 02:24 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: PY tax Payer]
Marge Offline

It's a fine idea and it's great that the community is there to support the students of the Penn Yan School District.Community is great to be involved with the students and this shows support to those players and coaches. It's tradition! And who is it hurting?

#1403776 - 06/04/13 03:50 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: peaches007]
j3668py Offline

Originally Posted By: peaches007
Penn Yan owner of Goin Postal was actually 'goin postal' on the Penn Yan fire department staff that was asked to meet the Varsity Boys Lacrosse school bus in town, last Tuesday after winning sectionals. Most parents did not know that there was going to be fire trucks. None of the team or coaches new. What a wonderful surprise for everyone involved. The first fire truck lead the way, then a truck with lights, followed by the bus, then cars with another fire truck following. Everyone cheering, beeping, lights flashing and having a great time celebrating their big win. This unplanned event occurred approx 9:00-9:30 pm. After a short ride through down town we all ended back up at the high school. It was wonderful to see the happiness and pride in these kids/young men/players faces. Until I look over to a woman standing in high school parking lot, looked to be barefoot, in the down pour of rain, screaming at the top of her lungs and shaking her arms in an angry manner at one of the volunteer fireman driving. At that time, the team gathered their belongings off the bus and headed to the locker room. This woman screamed and carried on for at least 15 minutes. Then walked towards the school and was trying to get in. I don't know how far she got, but she should be absolutely ashamed of herself. Penn Yan is a small community and a close community, that seems to really enjoy the teams/sports. Their are a lot of people that support the teams year after year, whether they have family on the team or they don't. These are good kids, playing a sport trying to stay out of trouble, keeping their grades up. The coaches spending hours working with these kids on a daily basis and caring for their team. So I would like to thank the team for a great season, the coaches for everything you do. And thank you to the PY fire department for doing that for the team. It was great!!!!
Do you think she wanted to join the team?

#1403780 - 06/04/13 04:10 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: j3668py]
Psalm9017 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes Region, NY
Anyone else see or hear this or know what happened?
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

#1403812 - 06/05/13 05:24 AM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: peaches007]
Marge Offline

If the team wins tonight (Wednesday), it will be louder than it was the other night! Hope she is prepared for this one

#1404258 - 06/07/13 10:11 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: peaches007]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Loc: PARTYING!
This seems like a great waste of tax payer resources.... There is no reason fire trucks should meet a school bus waste fuel and disturb residents at 9-9:30 at night with red lights at night sirens blaring (aren't these supposed to be for emergencies?)!

I'm all for celebrating, congrats on the win! Let's schedule them a parade or something for the hard work...

...With that said the Penn Yan Fire Department over stepped their bounds in deciding that emergency vehicles could be used, and fuel wasted to parade a sports team around town. But what else is knew? The studies and stories on this forum has shown that the Fire Department feels they can do whatever they won't, and "how dare anyone question them, they are volunteers!" I already know I am going to hear it about being Mr. Negative about the fire department doing whatever they want to help kids celebrate a win... Maybe we should be teaching the children of Penn Yan that in life we cannot do whatever we want, like use firetrucks and expensive fuel on a whim even if it is because we feel like celebrating without first going through the proper channels.

It's obvious by the stories on here that the current members of the fire department were never taught this lesson, hopefully we can teach our youth responsibility!

But this is Penn Yan, this is absolutely what we should be doing and continue to do because that's the way it's always been done! Right?

#1404263 - 06/07/13 10:28 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: S.P. King 4th]
dj205 Offline

Loc: in my mind
What about all the frivilous responses to the high rise, that everyone knows is a false alarm? That's a waste of fuel. But, they go because, you never know when it might be a real emergency. There are so many false calls that waste fuel, but, they go anyway. OMG, I'm so exasperated by your stupid statement that I can't even convey what I'm really thinking.

Of all the waste in government in our town, a little fuel being spent to show our support for our kids that are doing some good with their lives and not doing drugs, is a very small price to pay. I'll buy the gas card any day, vs. public defender's pay.

#1404265 - 06/07/13 10:45 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: dj205]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Originally Posted By: dj205
What about all the frivilous responses to the high rise, that everyone knows is a false alarm? That's a waste of fuel. But, they go because, you never know when it might be a real emergency.

Do you really not see the difference between "this" and a false alarm? You said it yourself, a false alarm could not be a false alarm. Tight your thing cap a little tighter, you're almost there.

Of all the waste in government in our town, a little fuel being spent to show our support for our kids that are doing some good with their lives and not doing drugs, is a very small price to pay.

So as long as it's considered a good waste, it's okay? There is a lot of waste out there I agree with you, some good. I think you think I'm more concerned with the waste, in reality it is the fire department feeling they can do whatever they want, and teaching our youth that they can do whatever they want without going through the correct channels as long as "it's for good."

Originally Posted By: DJ205
I'll buy the gas card any day, vs. public defender's pay.

I think you've underestimated the expense, this is not a $25 gas card.

What's your point, that the fire trucks and hoopla is going to keep them out of trouble? I couldn't disagree more! Isn't your argument what sports and the athletic program is designed to do?

You're attitude here goes against everything these kids are being taught that being good or winning buys them special privileges. If you win and are good you don't need to go through the special channels, "you can get and do as you please because you're the best!"

Wouldn't you agree that this is a time in these "kids" lives where they must learn to be responsible? How to go through the proper channels? That they cannot do whatever they want just because they want to celebrate and have fun? But yet they watch our government, fire department, and volunteers show them something completely different.

I understand they wanted to celebrate, but it should have been done through the proper channels, whatever that may be. Shut down main st. and have a parade for them.

It is funny DJ, you get so mad at me because you think I am against something that is keeping these "kids" out of trouble and teaching them responsibility. However, it is the opposite, my way is keeping them out of trouble. What you said, just leads them down a road of trouble and doesn't teach them any responsibility.

#1404268 - 06/07/13 10:56 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: S.P. King 4th]
dj205 Offline

Oh, ok...It's alright to shut down the streets and pay the police overtime for their parade???????? Where is that any different? It's still tax payers money spent.

#1404270 - 06/07/13 11:04 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: dj205]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Oh, ok...It's alright to shut down the streets and pay the police overtime for their parade???????? Where is that any different? It's still tax payers money spent.

Re read what I said and then get back to me.

You said there is always going to be waste, I agree with that, and also feel they deserve a celebration. HOWEVER, I feel it is very important for our youth to learn they must go through the proper channels instead of being taught they can do as they please because they want to celebrate, or worse are above the law because they are good at what they do. It is apparent the people running this town didn't get this lesson, hopefully it is not too late for the youth. But watching the fire department do as they please on a whim because they wanted to celebrate with them, is not helping anyone.

WE MUST TEACH THE FUTURE LEADERS OF THIS TOWN THAT THEY MUST BE RESPONSIBLE AND GO THROUGH THE PROPER CHANNELS EVEN IF IT IS "FOR GOOD," BECAUSE THEY WANT TO CELEBRATE, OR FEEL THEY ARE ABOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Can I be anymore clear than that?

#1404271 - 06/07/13 11:11 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: dj205]
dj205 Offline

Yeah, let's look up to our professional sports figures to show them (the high school kids) the way to greatness. I don't think they'll even think about the fan fare from the fire department on their semi win will ever have an impact on them.
I don't think they'll know or care that the fire department acted without authorization for their fun night riding through Penn Yan celebrating, that's for old people to bitch about.
Their sights are much higher. Like making Millions playing a sport.
Nevermind, I don't have the time to go into all of that nonsense.
Congrats, kids for a great season!

#1404272 - 06/07/13 11:17 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: S.P. King 4th]
dj205 Offline

Ya know, if you weren't such a condesending SOB It would be fun to talk to you and share views.

#1404275 - 06/07/13 11:35 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: dj205]
S.P. King 4th Offline

I think I'm great, it's you that has the problem.

#1404278 - 06/07/13 11:40 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: S.P. King 4th]
dj205 Offline

Oh, contreau or something like that \:\)

#1404326 - 06/08/13 04:36 PM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: dj205]
PY tax Payer Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY USA
The town did no wrong. We must think of the kids they are the future PY. No matter what you do in Penn Yan there are those few people that will complain about something. I bet if you were to give those complaining a $100.00 cash... as a gift they would complain that they wanted more.
For that lady at Going Postal, maybe she should remember where her money comes from... us the people.

#1404396 - 06/09/13 06:10 AM Re: Goin Postal....literally [Re: PY tax Payer]
retmac Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
I wouldn't think the Tea Party types would be so critical of a little slice of Americana (i.e. firetrucks greeting winning high school sports teams.) It happens all across the country.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >