FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1402260 --- 05/21/13 10:09 AM Lilac trees- Pruning
Aces_Up Offline

Loc: Nunja Business
I have to prune my Lilac tree. The blooms are faded and now is the time. I looked at videos and read on this. My question is this. When I go to cut off the dead bloom/flowers, how far down the stem that it is on do I cut? I copied this from a site:
"The pruning rule of thumb is to cut no more than 1/3 of a shrub's stems each year."
Okay, I know measurements when it comes to a 1/3 cup..lol.. But I don't know how much that is of the branch the bloom is on. I am assuming for example that if a branch/stem is 9 inches, I would cut 3 inches off below the bloom.

FingerLakes1.com
#1402267 --- 05/21/13 10:49 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: Aces_Up]
BrumWife Offline

Loc: Geneva
Its hard to tell without more context but I believe this refers to the entire shrub. When you prune any shrub the rule of thumb is to not remove more that 1/3 of the stems, branches etc in the year (most of the time the oldest branches go). So if you Lilac has 9 main stems, branches you should not remove more than 3.

Cutting off the spent blooms is called dead-heading not pruning. You may have better luck searching dead-heading a lilac to find what you looking for.

Edited by BrumWife (05/21/13 10:51 AM)

#1402269 --- 05/21/13 10:58 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: BrumWife]
BrumWife Offline

Loc: Geneva
Oh and we don't dead head our lilacs, they are too big, but we do prune. Just a thought you could call the Cooperative Extension Office they may be able to help. The one in Monroe County is right in Highland park. I'm sure they'd know. The Lilac festival just ended on Sunday so they're probably not as busy.

Cooperative Extension
249 Highland Avenue
Rochester, NY 14620
Phone: 585461-1000
Fax: 585442-7577
Executive Director: Judith Wright
monroe-mailbox@cornell.edu
http://cce.cornell.edu/monroe

Edited by BrumWife (05/21/13 11:00 AM)

#1402273 --- 05/21/13 11:23 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: BrumWife]
Aces_Up Offline

Loc: Nunja Business
Thanks for the info

#1402326 --- 05/21/13 10:05 PM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: Aces_Up]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
"The pruning rule of thumb is to cut no more than 1/3 of a shrub's stems each year."

Hmmmn...the only time I ever pruned a lilac, I started 1" from the ground and used a chain saw. Possibly I used the wrong method...

#1402621 --- 05/24/13 06:44 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: VM Smith]
*Sparkey* Offline

Loc: Baby Jail
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Quote:

Hmmmn...the only time I ever pruned a lilac, I started 1" from the ground and used a chain saw. Possibly I used the wrong method...

..Our one lilac tree has spread like crazy..can't keep up with the thing!!

#1402637 --- 05/24/13 08:45 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: *Sparkey*]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I forgot to mention that I only made one cut, and it was horizontal...no problem keeping up.

It was one that my dad had planted, but I didn't care for them. Perhaps if I hadn't been a smoker then, I would have appreciated the scent more.

Two years later I put a deck there, anyway.

How have you been?

#1403064 --- 05/29/13 03:15 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: VM Smith]
*Sparkey* Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
I forgot to mention that I only made one cut, and it was horizontal...no problem keeping up.

It was one that my dad had planted, but I didn't care for them. Perhaps if I hadn't been a smoker then, I would have appreciated the scent more.

Two years later I put a deck there, anyway.

How have you been?

I am great!!..Not much changes around here \:\) We had to move my garden that was on the chain link fence side due to the pool being installed,so we dug up most of the bulbs and added over 60 new ones as well as some larger plants and bushes along the stockade fencing across the yard.We also for the first time planted some veggies..can't wait to see what happens there as I have no clue what I am doing

#1403164 --- 05/29/13 09:41 PM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: *Sparkey*]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL! I'd say the pool is an enjoyable, positive change.

My gardening rule is: Plant enough stuff, and something will turn out okay. Hmnnn...that was always my dating philosophy, too. Hey...don't laugh...it worked. Finally. I think.

I just applied some new fertilizer today. No...on the garden, silly!

It's Jobe's Organics all purpose, with biozome formula (they claim that's a new thing, in a fertilizer, anyway), from Amazon. Jobe's has a nice descriptive blurb there, and the uniformly glowing reviews make me quite optimistic. You can get it lots of places, but I think one of the great things about Amazon is the reviews.

Pus, everything's delivered...I never even have to leave my mom's basement.

What could possibly go wrong, other than that everything might die, and I'll have to buy tomatoes at the store?

The old woman across the street had me put her garden in, too. It's a nice plot, with a good fence around it. But, there's a rabbit or chuck hole inside the fence. It's huge; probably a condo.

I offered to pour in some gasoline and plug the hole. She doesn't want me to kill the hopping big rats with big ears "cute little bunnies", though. I'm not so optimistic about that garden. I think she must be one of those Obamanauts...all hopey, but I think she won't like the change the chuckbits will put on her garden. She's a really sweet lady, though!

Yeah, yeah, rabbits are Lagomorpha, but they're just as tasty as rodents, using any standard chuckbit recipe. Mom's, fi.

Edited by VM Smith (05/29/13 09:59 PM)

#1403178 --- 05/30/13 03:05 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: VM Smith]
*Sparkey* Offline

OMGOSH...you always crack me up!!..I have 2 tomato's on my plant!!
and whatever else Jake planted is coming up!!Sounds like you are quite happy these day..!!AWESOME!!..Go easy on that fertilizer..LOL
I read somewhere that Epson Salt mixed with water is a great plant food but I can't find the info again..Ughhh!! Old Age!!!

#1403179 --- 05/30/13 05:41 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: *Sparkey*]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
My favorite is a seaweed and fish emulsion. I just pour a tiny capful into my watering can and give everything a drink once every week or two. Haven't needed to water at all lately though so I should probably find something dry to scatter around under the straw I use for mulch and weed control.

#1403211 --- 05/30/13 10:41 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: *Sparkey*]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks! I am happy, and I do go easy on the fertilizer; I never snort or shoot it, fi.

Epsom salt works, but it's actually cheaper to get the necessary magnesium from other sources. it's okay for flower pots, but if you do the math, and figure application rate, it gets expensive, for an average lawn or garden.

I really do think the Jobe's is something new in fertilizer. Although the new ingredient is naturally occurring, it hasn't been concentrated into fertilizers before. Here's the blurb, and the reviews do rave about it:

Jobe's All Purpose Organic granular fertilizers is one of a new and unique family of fast acting 100% organic fertilizer formulas. We believe these fertilizer and soil amendment formulas are the best available to help achieve the healthy, living soil needed for optimum plant growth. To create healthy living soil, three microorganisms are necessary: bacteria, fungi and Archaea. In the quest to better soil, the fast acting one - the Archaea - has been missing. Although is naturally occurring and essential, no one has been able to grow it commercially until now. And it is only available in Jobe's Organic fertilizers. We call it BioZome. Other organic fertilizers may contain bacteria and fungi, but they don't contain Biozome. Jobe's Organics BioZome contains a very aggressive microorganism that helps break down beneficial complex materials and minerals into basic nutrients that plants can readily absorb. With Jobe's Organics, you'll see great results faster. Jobe's Organics....For healthy plants and a healthy planet. Available in the following formula's from Amazon: Vegetable & Tomato - Fruit & Citrus - Rose & Flower - All Purpose - Palm - Azalea, Camellia & Rhododendron (ACR) - Fast Start - Compost Starter - Tree - Bulb and Bone.

I also tilled in some manure/sawdust mix,and some manure, both free, from the cattle auction, which is just down the street. LOL...not every village has a permanent cattle auction place, as Dryden does.

Also, there's a cattle farm which straddles the village line, and one of the fields is in back of us. Last year a bull escaped from that farm, and was free for 3 weeks, until it showed up in our back yard one night, 30 feet from our house. I called the Dryden PD, who had the farmer come round it up. They deserve much more respect than does a cow; the cop said he was ready to start shooting, if he had to.

I think the "biozome" is intended to help to quickly break down whatever organic amendment you add, as well as whatever is naturally in the soil.

It's definitely different here in the hills. Cayuga lake is at 383 ft ASL, and the intersection of 38 and 13, downtown Dryden, is at 1094 ft, but there's a hill about half a mile from our front window (4'x8') that's 2100 + ft ASL.

I've always been a flatland laker, and I didn't realize how much I like living in the visually interesting hills and mountains until I went to the high Andes for 5 weeks; there's a small taste of that flavor here, which I also like. The village is pretty flat, though; perfect for my new-last-summer aluminum 12-speed.

LOL...ya gotta enjoy the small things in life, too.

Note: The differently labeled varieties of that fertilizer all have the same formula; I think it's the case that they want any who search for, say, "flower", fertilizer, to find Jobe's in the search results; it's a marketing consideration. I love Amazon partly because you can usually read the label ingredients, online.

I'm in "Prime" so I get some free shipping, although I always price it against Wm $.97 shipping, and I get some free movies, too, although not in hi-def. What the heck...at my age, my eyes are low-def, anyway.

It's great to see you drop in here!

Edited by VM Smith (05/30/13 11:05 AM)

#1403553 --- 06/02/13 06:25 AM Re: Lilac trees- Pruning [Re: VM Smith]
*Sparkey* Offline

Still cracking me up!!..I love dropping in here..it's just not the same though..