Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1416928 --- 09/12/13 06:10 AM Re: Common Core [Re: twocats]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: twocats
Originally Posted By: cwjga
I like that their school year is longer too.

Me too...

when will you start volunteering your time over the summer to help the students that need it?

FingerLakes1.com
#1417003 --- 09/12/13 12:55 PM Re: Common Core [Re: bluezone]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Malmö
Originally Posted By: bluezone

Me too...

when will you start volunteering your time over the summer to help the students that need it?

Why presume twocats hasn't?

Assumptions. You're a master bz.

#1417079 --- 09/12/13 09:00 PM Re: Common Core [Re: Teonan]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
More wisdom from Datapoints, Inc.

Options
Datapoints, Inc. · 468 like this
36 minutes ago ·
I went today to a book talk for Amanda Ripley, author of Smartest Kids In the World. It was great, (also, might have been filmed, but I'm not sure. I hope so, so I can post the video, but the guy kept on pointing the camera at the back wall and waving it around) and raised some interesting questions. One that especially interested me concerned sports. The book is about education in other countries, and 7 out of 10 exchange students said the US put more emphasis on sports than their home country (the US students saying their home country had more). But part of what produces these high standards and PISA scores is the lack of any extracurriculars. In the US, it's all about enrichment. My child must be enriched. My child must be well rounded. My child must be worldly. My child must see beyond his or her locale. It's okay, it can be fun, but at a certain point it just isn't worth it. I do no non-mandatory extracurriculars (so, only Hebrew School). I quit piano and ballet. I didn't like them and I wasn't very good, so why continue? I certainly fill my time, it's not like I'm sitting around all day doing nothing. Extracurriculars should be if you want and if it's not preventing you from doing other, better things. In Finland especially, Amanda Ripley and the student she was following noticed the total lack of sports. There was nothing. School was for school, and that's it. School wasn't for bonding or team-building, just school. Now, bonding and team-building are great. But the US, which is remarkably attached to its football teams, will have to make some sacrifices for the quality of academic concentration they have in Finland, and sports is just another casualty of this war. We spend a relatively small amount of school in actual school-this is completely different in Finland, top of the world, where school is school is school.

#1417381 --- 09/15/13 04:41 PM Re: Common Core [Re: twocats]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS

#1417797 --- 09/18/13 07:44 AM Re: Common Core [Re: Teonan]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Teonan
Originally Posted By: bluezone

Me too...

Why presume twocats hasn't?

Assumptions. You're a master bz.

was it during the 'summer vacation'?

geneva 2020...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3