FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1397696 - 04/17/13 08:20 PM How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5?
reds4256rose Offline

Loc: Watertown
My girl friend purchased a Macbook Pro last summer, I never mess with it,I'm not into apple products lol. Shes been having some major speed issues, and when purchased it did not come with operating system discs. Is this normal to not come with this for apple to make more money? Or is there a built in way to reformat the OS? I tried talking her into getting anything but a Mac but she had to have it, if this was something with a Windows based PC There would be no issue and I'd have it fixed. Grrrrr I hate Macs lol. Can anyone also tell me if AVG Free is Mac compatible along with malwarebytes and ccleaner? Any help from anyone would be appreciated, thanks!

FingerLakes1.com
#1397738 - 04/18/13 12:12 AM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: reds4256rose]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY

What you're feeling, is commonly referred to as 'MacShock'. That's the technical term for PC users who fumble around with the the world's most advanced operating system, for the first time. ;\)

PM me with all the system details, and we should have no trouble getting her up and running. Macs are extremely easy to format (easier in most cases). It's just slightly different.

We'll talk about AV software later.

#1397746 - 04/18/13 06:33 AM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: Timbo]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Or I can help you.

Tim why you gotta be like that? Someone asks for help and every dam time you Mac zelots do the same thing. If you cant be upfront and answer the question then dont reply.

Pressing Command-R as you start up the computer (until the Apple logo appears) will take you into Utilities you can erase the Mac and reinstall the OS since the recovery disk is built in.

After taking all the updates after the reinstall go snag Avast antivirus for Mac if your friend is looking for a free antivirus solution and if looking for a good paid one snag Norton. Now if you or your friend get told by anyone that you dont need an antivirus kindly say thank you and get one anyway. The reason is simple she has a mac and you a PC she might not be able to get that nice virus that was sent to her but it can replicate itself and be sent to your pc thereby infecting you.

Ccleaner for Mac can be downloaded here http://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

#1397763 - 04/18/13 08:48 AM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

Take a pill D. It was a friendly joke, nothing more.

My advice to reds4256rose, is to NOT take the suggestion that you just inadvisably gave. There may be NO reason to reformat the drive. Another thing you got wrong, is the fact that it's far preferable to simply download the OS (fully updated) from Apple's 'App Store' (welcome to the 21st century).

If you want to reignite our last flamewar (you know, the one where you kept making one incorrect statement after another, about Macs,) I'll be glad to list them individually, to remind you and our fellow forum members that your Mac knowledge-base, is about 8-10 years out of date. Otherwise, if you feel the need to reassert your 'Alpha-Mac User' status, try sending a PM.

My suggestion, is to hold off on reformatting the drive. That's usually unnecessary on Macs, whereas it's often your only option on Windows machines. Slowdowns on Macs are usually the result of something else. There's no reason to use a sledgehammer when you should be using tweezers. There are differences in the way the UNIX kernel is built, as compared to Windows. This allows for FAR more stability than Windows, in terms of application instructions being insulated from core commands.

Tread VERY lightly when using CCleaner. It's EXTREMELY easy to accidentally wipe your hard drive! There are also some known problems running it on PowerBooks running OS X 10.5.8. We can talk about that.

My apologies for the geek-speak, but Mac problems should be approached differently than you would Windows problems.

Sorry that you had to witness the 'personal drama'. Send me a private message and I'll be happy to help with any issues.

#1397771 - 04/18/13 10:13 AM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: Timbo]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Originally Posted By: Timbo

Gee Timmy I think its time you switch to Decaff. I am so excited that in under a year that you have been a member here you have gone from I am thinking about buying a Mac and switching from a PC to questioning my level and years of knowledge. I am not trying to start a flame war I just wanted to give the info that was requested.

My advice Red is to not take the advice that Timmy just gave about not taking my advice.

If you would like to pass your friend the info I sent that Mac infact does have a recovery partition on its drive including the entire factory restore image and if they understand that all their current data will be wiped out then by all means that is the quickest route. Tim is correct that you can download the OS with all the updates from apple and create a new disk as long as it was registered to her in her Apple ID.

Running CCleaner in it's default settings is safe....yes even on a Mac.

#1397772 - 04/18/13 10:17 AM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: reds4256rose]
Timbo Offline

Reds,

Check your messages, I sent you some useful info.

#1397773 - 04/18/13 10:29 AM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

#1397783 - 04/18/13 11:08 AM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: DR. D
Originally Posted By: Timbo

Gee Timmy I think its time you switch to Decaff. I am so excited that in under a year that you have been a member here you have gone from I am thinking about buying a Mac and switching from a PC to questioning my level and years of knowledge.

Apparently, some of us learn faster than others. ;\)

#1397802 - 04/18/13 12:14 PM Re: How to reformat a Macbook pro 10.7.5? [Re: Timbo]
reds4256rose Offline

Loc: Watertown
Thank you both for the info, very greatly appreciated. Gonna try tweaking around with it and if all else fails gonna reformat. Both of you were very very helpful, thanks again!!!!