FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1396782 --- 04/12/13 08:00 AM Does anyone know?
Yukon28 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I have a question...please no attacks on me for what I am sure some of you will view as my stupidity...there is a house that the backyard connects to my backyard....the house has been in foreclosure for a while and the fence that previous renters put up is crashing into my backyard. They didn't put concrete in the post holes before putting it up. No one currently resides in the house. Does anyone know if I have the right to just fix the fence myself? Or do I have to contact the bank that has it? Or do I contact someone from the town? If so who? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Please no negative or mean responses....I am just looking for someone that may know the proper way to handle this. Thank you!

FingerLakes1.com
#1396784 --- 04/12/13 08:05 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
\:\) I sure hope that no-one on here would bash you for asking a question. It's pretty sad that some of us have to come on here with a legitimate question and plead to not be bashed or insulted. I'll see if there's anything I can find regarding it in the meantime. I do know that if it's a tree on a neighboring property and it's overhanging your property you can trim the branches on your side. However, I'm not sure about a fence. Again, I'll see what I can find if anything. Hope you get some nice answers to your question.

Isaac Asimov

#1396786 --- 04/12/13 08:10 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Call the bank, if you want to do any major work. But if I were you, I wouldn't worry if you just want to push anything that may be intruding onto your property back onto that property, for now.

Who knows?...if you tell the bank that it's an eyesore, a nuisance, or a hazard, etc., they might fix it...it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edited by VM Smith (04/12/13 08:30 AM)

#1396787 --- 04/12/13 08:11 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: VM Smith]
seneca dad22 Offline

If you live in SF I'd start with the Town Clerk, Nicaletta Greer.
568-8013. Good luck.

#1396792 --- 04/12/13 08:25 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Yukon28
Does anyone know if I have the right to just fix the fence myself?

in what way did you want to fix it?

#1396803 --- 04/12/13 08:55 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: bluezone]
Dizzyt Offline

It sounded as though he might want to fix the fence and secure it in the ground the correct way with posts being set in cement. I'm not sure where you're located, but I would contact the Code Enforcement Officer and they might be able to help you out. Also, they might be able to give you the information for what bank holds the property and you can call them. I've read many things where if a foreclosure is becoming an eyesore to neighboring properties, calls to the bank will help and they will a lot of times send someone out to fix and maintain the property. Especially if many neighbors are calling them and complaining. I did also read that if it's on the property boundaries then both parties can be responsible, but usually something is signed and agreed upon with both owners. Again, I would call the Code Enforcement Office and start there. If you can't get the name of the bank and phone number from them, try calling a local Realtor, they should have all information on file for properties in the area, including foreclosed homes.

http://www.senecafalls.com/code-enforcement.php

Originally Posted By: bluezone
Does anyone know if I have the right to just fix the fence myself?

in what way did you want to fix it?

Isaac Asimov

#1396806 --- 04/12/13 08:59 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Dizzyt]
teedoff27 Offline

Loc: S2Hphoto
Contact code enforcement and they will come take a look and take it from there.

#1396815 --- 04/12/13 09:40 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: bluezone]
Yukon28 Offline

Tear it down and put it up properly, with cement in the post holes.

#1396817 --- 04/12/13 09:45 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
Yukon28 Offline

Yes I want to tear it down and put it back up properly...with cement in the post holes. I don't want code enforcement or the bank to come and end up tearing it completely down...as it is a nice privacy fence....

#1396820 --- 04/12/13 09:57 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

the house has been in foreclosure for a while and the fence that previous renters put up is crashing into my backyard.

is the home in good condition?

another option that you may not have thought about would be to contact the bank to see if they want to sell the home to you

you may be able to get it for 50+% off the current market value as the bank wants it out of their books

do some minor updates and then sell the home for a profit

#1396823 --- 04/12/13 10:08 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: bluezone]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
If you do not own it,do not touch it.

What street is this on if I maay ask?

#1396826 --- 04/12/13 10:21 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Yes I want to tear it down and put it back up properly...with cement in the post holes.

how long is the fence (in feet)?

#1396827 --- 04/12/13 10:23 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I don't want code enforcement or the bank to come and end up tearing it completely down

if it is going to cost the bank more to fix then the added value to the home then the bank may just have it removed

you could put a privacy fence up on your side of the property line

#1396853 --- 04/12/13 11:25 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
ExVillager Offline

If you just want it done properly, I would risk doing it without anyone knowing. I would assume that the previous occupants did not get a building permit, so calling them would not help you at all. BTW the bank doesn't care

#1396865 --- 04/12/13 12:03 PM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: bluezone]
Yukon28 Offline

The house is nothing I would want to invest in personally...my family actually looked into purchasing it a while ago...the inside is a disaster...caving roof...slanted floors...someone would be better off mowing it over and rebuilding! Lol!

#1396866 --- 04/12/13 12:05 PM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: ExVillager]
Yukon28 Offline

Ya someone else told me to do that...they assumed the renters didn't get a permit to do it anyway. I just don't want to get in any trouble. Although I would be improving the property anyway...the only good selling point, if the bank ever auctions it off,is the deep backyard and privacy fence.

#1396868 --- 04/12/13 12:07 PM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: bluezone]
Yukon28 Offline

The fence is about 80 ft.

#1396884 --- 04/12/13 12:38 PM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
Dizzyt Offline

http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=15660553

What steps can neighbors take if they have a foreclosed home blighting their area?
"Contact a local real-estate agent to see if he or she can find out which bank owns the property. Foreclosure can be a long process, and until the lender actually holds title, there's little anyone can do.

"Once [the foreclosed property] is owned by the bank, start putting pressure on them. Banks don't want nasty calls from neighbors; the people who work there are human, just like anybody else. You can get several neighbors together to make calls in close sequence — it's just like calling your congressperson. Build a relationship with some specific person at the bank, somebody in the foreclosure department; have a name that everybody calls and you get to know.

"Even better, have neighbors who are customers of that lender call the foreclosure department about the condition of the property. Current customers who threaten to change banks have more leverage than noncustomers. Some banks will hire a property-management service to maintain the property once they own it. If you find out that a management company is maintaining the property, contact it directly."

What should you do if you're not getting any results by going through the bank?
"Your best bet is to check with your local building department and talk to their code-enforcement division. Every city has a building department, and every one of them has a code-enforcement division. They recognize that blighted properties hurt the entire city, so they have a vested interest in making sure the properties are maintained, and most have the ability to levy fines and penalties against the lender — or whoever the owner is."

Have you ever seen that happen?
"Oh, yeah. The lender doesn't want to have problems with the city because it could make it difficult to sell [the home]. Technically, if you don't pay your fines, the city could put a lien against the property, and then they can't sell it."

Would you recommend that neighbors go and maintain the property themselves?
"Remember, this is not your property. But in real estate we call that the 'stealth neighborhood improvement program.'
“I've done it. I've had properties where the next-door neighbor wasn't keeping it up, and as a Realtor I really want our neighborhood to look its best; it keeps everybody's value up. So if their sprinkler isn't working, I'll make sure to hit it with a little bit of water. If the weeds get a little bit high, I'll sneak over when it's quiet when I'm cutting my lawn, and I will just happen to end up doing their lawn as well.
“Look at it like this: You are not doing damage to their property, you are actually improving it. So how much liability do you really have? It's probably very minimal."

Isaac Asimov

#1396899 --- 04/12/13 01:10 PM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Dizzyt]
Yukon28 Offline

Thank you for giving me some good advice!

#1396988 --- 04/13/13 06:05 AM Re: Does anyone know? [Re: Yukon28]
teedoff27 Offline

Loc: S2Hphoto
Considering the fence "is crashing into my backyard" What is the possibility of pushing it upright and bracing it as a quick,cheap,fix. You won't have to contact anyone or get a permit, because you are moving it off your property.

Also is the fence hung properly? Whenever installing a fence the "nice side" must be facing out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >