FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1395435 - 04/03/13 01:51 PM Woman lights husband on fire: police
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Woman accused of lighting husband on fire

TIOGA COUNTY, N.Y. -- A Waverly woman has been arrested after allegedly lighting her husband on fire.

Officials say Angeleen Buiniskis, 30, got into an argument with her husband and then poured butane fluid on him. She allegedly set him on fire with a lighter.

Buiniskis then left the house and was eventually arrested by Pennsylvania State Police. Her husband was treated at Robert Packer Hospital for second degree burns.

Angeleen Buiniskis has been charged with assault, endangering the welfare of a child, arson and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Buiniskis is being held in Bradford County Jail and will be sent back to New York at a later date

Updated 04/02/2013 04:40 PM
Woman accused of lighting husband on fire
By: Web Staff

FingerLakes1.com
#1395457 - 04/03/13 04:24 PM Re: Woman lights husband on fire: police [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Butane is a liquid, at room temp, only when it is under pressure. How does one "pour" a gas? A segment of this vid shows (at about the 1 min, 30 sec point) butane being released from the pressurized container as an aerosol, and then immediately turning to a gas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhSfG4gDi0

Edited by VM Smith (04/03/13 04:30 PM)

#1395490 - 04/03/13 06:45 PM Re: Woman lights husband on fire: police [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
VM but it makes it more interesting to read. Most likey was lighter fluid. As most reproters these days they do no squat
or proper terms.

#1395501 - 04/03/13 08:24 PM Re: Woman lights husband on fire: police [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL...you're right, but it should be, "reporters".

#1395524 - 04/03/13 09:49 PM Re: Woman lights husband on fire: police [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Oh my typing habbits are starting to suck again. I did have the right letters just wrong place

#1395548 - 04/04/13 12:11 AM Re: Woman lights husband on fire: police [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL! I was referring to the fact that many of them shouldn't be referred to as "reporters"; it insults good reporters. I hadn't noticed your spelling until you pointed it out, though...I'd had my Official Jr. Ranger Decoder Glasses on...they make your posts read normally.

#1395793 - 04/06/13 12:09 AM Re: Woman lights husband on fire: police [Re: VM Smith]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Butane is a liquid, at room temp, only when it is under pressure. How does one "pour" a gas? A segment of this vid shows (at about the 1 min, 30 sec point) butane being released from the pressurized container as an aerosol, and then immediately turning to a gas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhSfG4gDi0

VM I expected so much more from you. Maybe it is time to take a refresher course in chemistry...

Quote:
The rate at which butane evaporates depends on the ambient pressure, the temperature and the amount of ambient convection. If the butane is very cold, it will take an extremely long time to evaporate. If it is hot, it will pretty much flash into vapor as soon as it is exposed to atmospheric pressure. If it is in the bottom of a long tube where the vapor above the liquid quickly becomes entirely composed of butane, it will evaporate more slowly than if it is just dumped out in a puddle on the ground with a fan blowing over it. Since the vapor pressure of butane is around 2 atmospheres at typical room conditions, it will generally be under pressure in whatever container it is stored in. As soon as the container is opened, it will start boiling. Butane lighters have liquid butane in them because the plastic doesn't have too much trouble containing the relatively low pressure required to keep most of the butane liquid. If you drill a hole in the side of one, the butane will start boiling until all but a bit of residual vapor has escaped.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_it_take_butane_to_evaporate

http://www.learner.org/courses/essential/physicalsci/session3/closer2.html

#1395808 - 04/06/13 02:18 AM Re: Woman lights husband on fire: police [Re: Rascal]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I don't see where that disagrees with anything I said. Butane boils at 31.1 F, and I doubt that she cooled the can in the freezer. Even then, how do you pour out of an aerosol container? At one atmosphere, if not below 31.1, she wouldn't be pouring it, unless maybe you're telling me she kept a bucket of it in the freezer.

If it was indeed "poured", I think it was lighter fluid. If it as butane, it would be more accurate to say that a cloud of gas was emitted in his vicinity.

For a test, I just now filled my cupped hand with butane,then lit it. Foof!...no big deal. I wouldn't even think about doing that with lighter fluid.

Edited by VM Smith (04/06/13 05:18 AM)