FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#139490 --- 03/08/05 01:50 AM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
shylie Offline

Something is wrong with this picture. Regardless what caused this child's outburst, I think they just added more trauma to his little guy's life. I reread the article twice, and they never really say other than he wasn't allowed to go outside, what led up to this? What is his homelife like? Is there a chemical imbalance? I just think a lot of info is missing here. Putting an 8 year old, little 4 feet boy in handcuffs is absurd, and a worse action than that of the child. I wish I had never read this article.

FingerLakes1.com
#139491 --- 03/08/05 08:30 AM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
i feel exactly the same! as parents we have all dealt with a temper tantrum or 2. if a child is that abusive during a tantrum - the first thing to do is stand back; the kid is not going to hurt himself that a bandaid can't fix and if he does - it was his own infliction - and once rationality sets in...an 8 yr old will understand. The kid was mad - something to him seemed unfair and he unleashed his emotions physically rather than verbally - probably because he was beyond frustration. He should have been left alone until the tantrum subsided and then taken to a counselor to discuss his issues. I can't imagine what being handcuffed and removed from school by a police officer did to "help" this kid.

#139492 --- 03/08/05 08:37 AM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Quote:

i feel exactly the same! as parents we have all dealt with a temper tantrum or 2. if a child is that abusive during a tantrum - the first thing to do is stand back; the kid is not going to hurt himself that a bandaid can't fix and if he does - it was his own infliction - and once rationality sets in...an 8 yr old will understand. The kid was mad - something to him seemed unfair and he unleashed his emotions physically rather than verbally - probably because he was beyond frustration. He should have been left alone until the tantrum subsided and then taken to a counselor to discuss his issues. I can't imagine what being handcuffed and removed from school by a police officer did to "help" this kid.

The handcuffs were a bit much. BUT, if their reasoning was he was a danger to himself or another, then EMS should have been called in to restrain him. This kid snapped, and was a danger to himself and others if he was capable of throwng a desk at someone over not getting to go out for recess. I would agree it was handled wrong. i just wonder if that was their reasoning: handcuffs to restrain him as he was a danger to him self and others. Sounds like he should have some counseling in anger management before he hurts himself or others. An 8 year old knows, or should I say be developed enough mentally, to not use such violent actions. My heart goes out to him, the family and the ones involved. Something snapped in him, this was not just a tantrum though, he was being very violent. Had he just threw his school paper or books on the floor and wailed while kicking his feet in the air, I might not think he needs some counseling or at least a thorough mental stability check. It could be ADD and related syndromes. but I hope this child is helped before he does hurt himself or someone else.

#139493 --- 03/08/05 09:47 AM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
shylie Offline

I think the handcuffs were a torture and could have and may have inflicted more pain and harm, both physical and mental to this child. They have EMT service and every county has people educated, specialized, and on call for this type incident. I know I worked this field. Was this to make an example for his peers? I am sickened to think this was allowed to be enforced by the school officials, after all the school obviously called for them. Did they call any of the other services available? I am thinking not or one would think it would have been included in this article, so I highly doubt they were called, the arrest was also just plain cruel and ridiculous. Obviously this child needs help, they need to find the source of this child's problem, and quickly. : (

#139494 --- 03/08/05 10:25 AM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
the handcuffs were "over the top"

this will scar and make this kid more vunerable to being a serial mass threat to the laws of the land.....

#139495 --- 03/08/05 03:57 PM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
no doubt Offline

Loc: hometown: Waterloo
Sorry - but 8 years old is old enough to know he'd better stop. And it would impress him further to be treated as a criminal.
I was in Wegmans Sunday when a four year old started a tant which lasted from waiting in line through the checkout and all the way out the door. His older sister said to the mom, doesn't he embaress you? And the mother said no he doesn't and she continued to ignored him except to say no when he asked for candy. She did it all in my opinion to not feed his tantrum. But he was loud and whiney and kept it up. My daughter did that once in the store. I didn't raise a hand - once we got to the car and she calmed I told her that she was not going to the store with me for a very long time. I said I was very disappointed in her behavior. She knew what I meant and she never did it again. She was only three and she knew the consequences.
I saw a video commercial with a little boy wanting candy and his father saying no. The kid went into a tant and the father didn't know what to do - but the "morale" of the commercial was "use condoms."

#139496 --- 03/08/05 04:17 PM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Where's the love Offline

i think tantrums are for attention; reduce the negative attention and work with positive praise - and the tantrums should go away;
amazing how kind words can really work magic on ALL people!

#139497 --- 03/09/05 04:17 AM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
a glass of cold water works pretty good too and I don't mean to drink

#139498 --- 03/09/05 12:13 PM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Where's the love Offline

heck - a hose is probably better!

#139499 --- 03/09/05 03:42 PM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
fannie Offline

Loc: Newark, NY
Quote:

I hold up 5 fingers and start counting down. No one knows what will happen if I get to 1; all I have to do now is raise 5 fingers - and my kids KNOW!!

I do that to my nine year old too...She really knows she is in trouble when I say.."I am putting 5 on the table"...I don't know how that started but for some reason if I put my hand on a table and say that, she recovers quickly from her behavior problem.

#139500 --- 03/09/05 03:49 PM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Where's the love Offline

the guy at friendly's waiting in line with me - saw me throw my fingers in the air and silently count down - and he watched my kids go from teasing each other to saying sorry and hugging each other. He was impressed and I saw him do it to his kids silently lift 5 fingers up and slowly count down. His wife laughed and said it would be a miracle - well the kids stopped what they were doing and stared at their dad...he proudly said, and don't let me say it again. All of us cracked up.

#139501 --- 03/09/05 06:12 PM Re: 8-year-old arrested for alleged tant
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Quote:

the guy at friendly's waiting in line with me - saw me throw my fingers in the air and silently count down - and he watched my kids go from teasing each other to saying sorry and hugging each other. He was impressed and I saw him do it to his kids silently lift 5 fingers up and slowly count down. His wife laughed and said it would be a miracle - well the kids stopped what they were doing and stared at their dad...he proudly said, and don't let me say it again. All of us cracked up.

You should write to Friendly's with tha story. Sounds like a commercial waiting to be made.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2