FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1393782 - 03/25/13 01:04 PM Dirty Syringes Used On Patients: lawsuit
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Lawsuit Filed Against Guthrie Health Care & Corning Hospital Over Possible Reused Syringes

CORNING, N.Y. (WETM-TV) - Guthrie and Corning Hospital are both facing a lawsuit after an incident where a registered nurse may have reused syringes and exposed patients to infections diseases, such as H.I.V. and Hepatitis B and C.
Ziff Law Firm is representing 14 patients in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit claims that Corning Hospital, Guthrie Healthcare System and/or Group, and Guthrie Medical Group P.C. was negligent in the training and supervision of the nurse, who's name has not been released at this time.

The nurse herself is also listed in the lawsuit.

Officials say the incident occurred between October 15th, 2012 and January 29th, 2013.

A spokesman for the hospital has said in the past that the risk that someone contracted a virus or infection was low.

The Ziff Law Firm says, they are still waiting to see if the patients were in fact sickened by the syringes.

Reported by: Chris Hush Email: chush@wetmtv.com

WETM Published: 11:46 am

FingerLakes1.com
#1393788 - 03/25/13 02:15 PM Re: Dirty Syringes Used On Patients: lawsuit [Re: newsman38]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Now if she was a real RN she shouldn't need any further training

#1393938 - 03/26/13 01:14 PM Re: Dirty Syringes Used On Patients: lawsuit [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
And a real reporter wouldn't write this clunker. Are they bringing in new reporters on H-1B visas, now, or do the government schools really suck?:

"who's name"

Edited by VM Smith (03/26/13 01:16 PM)

#1446067 - 04/29/14 04:25 PM Re: Dirty Syringes Used On Patients: lawsuit [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Lawsuit Over Reused Syringes at Guthrie Corning Hospital Expands

CORNING, N.Y. (WETM-18) – The lawsuit over re-using syringes at Guthrie Corning Hospital is expanding again. This time, a patient says he has contracted Hepatitis C because of the re-use of syringes.

A former nurse, Guthrie Corning Hospital, Guthrie Medical Group PC, and Guthrie Healthcare System are being sued by dozens of patients after the nurse reused syringes at Corning Hospital between October 2012 and January 2013. Now, one man has been infected with Hepatitis C.

“One of our existing clients has contracted Hepatitis C,” said Adam Gee of Ziff Law Firm. “He’s tested positive for it, retested, and again the test is positive for it.”

The lawsuit has named Joanne Lindquist as the former nurse responsible for reusing the syringes.

Patients had been told their risk of contracting any disease from the reused syringes was very low. “This shows that it can, in fact, happen, and it has, in fact, happened,” said Gee.

Gee says that the danger is real with the man’s diagnosis. “Hepatitis C, it can be fatal,” said Gee. “Under worse-case circumstances, it can be fatal. And certainly it’s going to make people pretty sick in the mean time. People can be treated for it, this client will be treated for it.”

According to Ziff Law Firm, the man found out he was infected on his last test, after a year of negative returns. “To this point in time, the Guthrie system has agreed to provide testing for up to that one year mark,” said Gee. “And we certainly encourage people to consider testing beyond that period of time.”

The most important thing, according to Gee, is for patients who were exposed to make sure they at least complete their testing. “What we want to do is caution everyone out there, make sure you get tested,” said Gee. “We've heard that some people, after a couple negative tests, are thinking, questioning, whether they need to go through it again. And this shows that, truly, they do need to.”

Gee says that this lawsuit will be merged with the other lawsuits involving dozens of patient at some point down the road.

WETM reached out to Guthrie Health for comment on this newest lawsuit Monday. They told us they could not comment on ongoing litigation.

04/28/2014 05:33 PM

#1446167 - 04/30/14 06:39 PM Re: Dirty Syringes Used On Patients: lawsuit [Re: newsman38]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
making people sick just to save a few penny's? A RN should know better to even try such a thing no matter the risk factor.
Now we know why I do not like hospitals at all.
I did go to the Dr's office today after finding a tic half filled with my blood on my scrotum last night. At first just thought it was a skin tag. Damn way to huge to be a skin tag
especially just hrs after my shower. So check your pets, carpets etc. And even more so after being in the woods which I was the day before.