FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1393769 - 03/25/13 10:18 AM ?New Majors at CCC?
cinlou Offline

Loc: Montezuma, NY USA
I posted this question on the syracuse.com Cayuga County forum but received no response. What new majors would you like to see at the Cayuga Community College? I thought Human Services or Social Work would be a good one. There are many more that could be offered! We have a wealth of people qualified to teach at CCC in Cayuga County, Syracuse, etc.

FingerLakes1.com
#1393784 - 03/25/13 12:40 PM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: cinlou]
cinlou Offline

I guess there is no interest in this topic here either.

#1393810 - 03/25/13 04:20 PM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: cinlou]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
I think if you wish to contact people that may be interested it would more likely by done via Facebook or Pinterest. I.e.: https://www.facebook.com/CayugaCCAlumni Just a suggestion.

I'm thinking that Wells in Aurora has Human Services and social work majors.

#1393818 - 03/25/13 04:46 PM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
cinlou Offline

Wells is too expensive! Many students cannot afford Wells, SU, or any other private college. A two year school is lower in cost and will attract more students who are looking at saving money. Without a dorm and new majors CCC's enrollment will continue to go down. Students are going to other 2 year colleges that offer more majors, dorms, etc.

I just wanted to see what others thought about the topic.

#1394656 - 03/29/13 05:22 PM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: cinlou]
dainty Offline

With everyone going green, I would think courses related to saving energy would be good. It is hard to decide which kind of fuel to use. Solar sounds so simple.

Social service is an excellent choice. Back when, I could not find anything local in that field. Now that prisons, youth facilities, and other social service organizations are losing money we need to find alternate ways to help people. Lets not forget the ever increasing elder population.

It would be nice if the college offered more satelite seats so people could take bachelor courses.

#1394657 - 03/29/13 05:25 PM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: dainty]
dainty Offline

Tourism, Wine making, boating? These are things our community needs.

#1394735 - 03/30/13 10:30 AM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: cinlou]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I don't believe that CCC has a Communications curriculum, does it?

#1394832 - 03/31/13 10:55 AM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: Josephus]
cinlou Offline

All of these are wonderful ideas! How do we get them to the school and legislatures? The email addresses on the Cayuga County site keep bouncing back on me!

#1394833 - 03/31/13 10:56 AM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: Josephus]
cinlou Offline

All of these are wonderful ideas! How do we get them to the school and legislatures? The email addresses on the Cayuga County site keep bouncing back on me!

#1398017 - 04/19/13 08:30 AM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: cinlou]
cinlou Offline

I was able to contact someone at the college and forwarded everyone's recommendations. Let's hope they listen!

#1398160 - 04/20/13 02:01 PM Re: ?New Majors at CCC? [Re: dainty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
It is hard to decide which kind of fuel to use. Solar sounds so simple.

Just use whatever's cheapest. Solar is simple; so is lighting a gas flame. The question is: Which is cheaper?

From a macro standpoint, the answer's easy: If solar (active solar, that is) were cheaper, everyone would be using it.

From your individual standpoint, it's more complex. There are government programs in place which force other utility rate payers and taxpayers to subsidize solar, through added charges on all utility bills, and through tax welfare for solar users, the money for which is seized from all tax payers, whether or not they use solar. If you wish to avail yourself of these programs, solar could well make sense for your situation.

There are any number of voracious tax-feeders, in the chummed waters of a deliberately distorted market solar contractors who would be happy to run the numbers for you.

Right now, I'm waiting for a little solar energy. It's 45 degrees in Dryden, but we just had a snow flurry.

Edited by VM Smith (04/20/13 02:33 PM)