FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1392238 - 03/15/13 07:33 PM Runtime Error
beachcomber Offline

Loc: nearby
6 mos ago my netbook was really slow and would not wake up after sitting a while (sleep? hibernate? idk...) I paid someone almost $100 and he made it fast again, said a memory card was bad which he replaced and switched it from Vista to Win7.

Just last week things started again.... it's slow and now every time I turn it on I get a "runtime error at C:// program F" I click ok..... and then use it. I've also gotten a msg that the computer has detected that it's running slow and wants me to switch to the Basic color scheme.... so i do.

Any ideas? I need to take this thing on a trip in about 10 days and would like for it to be running better. Thanks.

FingerLakes1.com
#1392249 - 03/15/13 08:52 PM Re: Runtime Error [Re: beachcomber]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
The first qurstion is why do I charge folks so little for the same thing.... $100 is highway robbery.

It's a video driver error, what is the make and model of it?

#1392258 - 03/15/13 09:26 PM Re: Runtime Error [Re: DR. D]
beachcomber Offline

It is an Acer A0751h-1279.
After I posted this I got a pop up suggesting that I disable add-ons. I clicked ok and got a box that said a Java "helper" was using an exhorbinant amount of resources, so I clicked to disable that one, and another one..... Now it runs pretty fast!! I haven't rebooted to see if I still get the runtime error. Nor do I know if the Java helper will turn itself back on if I shut the machine down and back on.

#1392260 - 03/15/13 09:28 PM Re: Runtime Error [Re: beachcomber]
beachcomber Offline

Yes, I thought it was quite a bit of $$ too, but it's done now. I also have another machine that I wanted fixed, but didn't ask after I got sticker shock on the 1st one. I have a Dell Inspiron 531S that runs slow.... good, but real slow. I've run scans of every sort I can think of, to no avail.

#1397398 - 04/16/13 12:58 AM Re: Runtime Error [Re: beachcomber]
AaronMarkus Offline

Loc: 2910 Sage St, Colorado Springs...
Is there some virus problems?Virus always makes your gadgets work slower.

Edited by FL1 Mod 2 (04/16/13 08:55 AM)

#1397650 - 04/17/13 03:52 PM Re: Runtime Error [Re: AaronMarkus]
Sasquatch Offline

Loc: Waterloo
It sounds like some malware/spyware. Something is probably running that just advertises itself and its affiliates. Things like this tend to take up quite a bit of memory because they are constantly sending and receiving data. The data they receive is usually instructions, to the program(s) in question, on what to do next. Have you tried Spy-bot or Malwarebytes? They may find the problem (likely) and fix it. Before running these, I would run C Cleaner to make not only the scan go a touch faster, but that also sorts out a lot of problems. Especially with dead files in the registry.
Also when installing these you may want to read carefully what each step is doing so you won't get unwanted bundle software, which may further slow down the system, when you install.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/