Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1390508 --- 03/06/13 01:38 PM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: ]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
From the papers staff on the editorial page of today's FL Times:

Wasted money

Heres a shock (not really): A new report is due out today that will show the $60 billion in U.S. taxpayer funds spent over the past 10 years in Iraq have led to very little in the way of results in the unstable country.

***************************************************************************************

My comment: a huge waste of blood and treasure in the Defense Department that is just the tip of the iceberg.

FingerLakes1.com
#1390524 --- 03/06/13 02:43 PM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: kyle585]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: kyle585

Wasted money

Heres a shock (not really): A new report is due out today that will show the $60 billion in U.S. taxpayer funds spent over the past 10 years in Iraq have led to very little in the way of results in the unstable country.

***************************************************************************************

My comment: a huge waste of blood and treasure in the Defense Department that is just the tip of the iceberg.

My nephew would disagree with you, well worth the families (people) he saved. He is still in touch with several of them.

#1390558 --- 03/06/13 07:29 PM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: cwjga

Wasted money

My nephew would disagree with you, well worth the families (people) he saved. He is still in touch with several of them.
I believe the latest number is 100,000 civilians killed in the war. And suicide bombs still going off periodically to this day amid a highly corrupt government.

#1390560 --- 03/06/13 07:31 PM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013...dog-report-says

A decade and $60 billion later what does the U.S. have to show for the reconstruction efforts in Iraq? That's the question being answered by the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction in his final report to Congress.

The report by Stuart Bowen was based upon audits and inspections, as well as interviews with Iraqi and U.S. officials and politicians. Here's the crux of what happened to that money, according to the report:

"The general belief across each group is that the relief and reconstruction program should have accomplished more, that too much was wasted, and that the lessons derived from the Iraq reconstruction experience should drive improvements to the U.S. approach to stabilization and reconstruction operations."

Or as The Associated Press puts it: "Since the invasion a decade ago this month, the U.S. has spent too much money in Iraq for too few results."

The report said that several broad themes emerged in the interviews with Iraqi officials, including Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and former Deputy Prime Minister Ahmed Chalabi. Here's what the Iraqis said:

1. The United States failed to consult sufficiently with Iraqi authorities when planning the reconstruction program.

2. Corruption and poor security fundamentally impeded progress throughout the program.

3. The overall rebuilding effort had limited positive effects.

The war in Iraq cost about $800 billion, and Wednesday's report from Bowen could portend what lies ahead for the U.S. in Afghanistan where it is also engaged in reconstruction, and has spent $90 billion.

Sen. Bob Corker, the ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in a statement that Bowen's final report "demonstrates the need for a top-to-bottom review of the State Department and U.S. foreign assistance programs to ensure taxpayer dollars are used to advance U.S. interests."

#1390563 --- 03/06/13 07:52 PM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: cwjga]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS

Wasted money

#1390623 --- 03/07/13 07:03 AM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: kyle585]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Wasted money

I believe the latest number is 100,000 civilians killed in the war. And suicide bombs still going off periodically to this day amid a highly corrupt government.

I know, Obama really screwed things up. I know my nephew agrees with you.

#1390624 --- 03/07/13 07:04 AM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: twocats]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: twocats
You really don't see how crazy (literally) that response makes you appear. Good thing these forums are anonymous.

#1390625 --- 03/07/13 07:11 AM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

I know, Obama really screwed things up. I know my nephew agrees with you.
George Bush started the Iraq war. Obama ended it.

#1390633 --- 03/07/13 07:28 AM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: kyle585]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

Wasted money

Many estimates put the number of Iraqis killed at almost ONE HALF MILLION.

#1390635 --- 03/07/13 07:38 AM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: Timbo]

Originally Posted By: Timbo

Wasted money

Many estimates put the number of Iraqis killed at almost ONE HALF MILLION.
Hussein killed more than that!

#1390642 --- 03/07/13 08:06 AM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: ]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

WE ARE NOT SADDAM!

#1390644 --- 03/07/13 08:08 AM Re: 20 Of The Most Embarrassing Moments [Re: Timbo]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Timbo
WE ARE NOT SADDAM!
but alas, I am concerned we have stooped to his level.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2