FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1388561 --- 02/23/13 12:02 PM Danica wins Daytona 500
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms

FingerLakes1.com
#1388794 --- 02/25/13 09:40 AM Re: Jimmy Johnson Wins Daytona 500 [Re: I did it!]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
Although Danica qualified 1st and had pole position for Sunday's Daytona 500, Jimmy Johnson ended up winning this race with a close second by Dale Earnhardt Jr (WOO-HOO) and Mark Martin in third. However, Danica is the first woman in Nascar History ever to have Pole Position, lead laps and finish in the top ten. She held on quite well throughout the whole race, became a bit intimidated at the end I think when everybody was battling for that first place finish. Way to Go Danica, this could be your year of a Victory Lane celebration

Isaac Asimov

#1388818 --- 02/25/13 12:11 PM Re: Jimmy Johnson Wins Daytona 500 [Re: Dizzyt]
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
She wasn't intimidated. She was blocked.

#1388821 --- 02/25/13 12:45 PM Re: Jimmy Johnson Wins Daytona 500 [Re: Cinnamon]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
I watched the race and the last lap she went from 3rd position to 8th position. That is quite a jump in a last lap as far as dropping positions. Whatever it was, she did not maintain her 3rd place spot and many reports I read and heard afterwards was that she was overwhelmed and frankly was overcome quickly and was "freight-trained" as she calls it.

Also, maybe intimidated wasn't the best word to use. But, she also gave Dale Jr. a lot of credit for jumping up to second and she never once blamed him, instead admired his skill. Instead of staying on the outside, she had even admitted that she should have went low and tried to pass, but didn't.

Patrick was clearly disappointed with her finish. When the race was on the line, she was schooled by Earnhardt, who made his last move and blocked any chance she had.

"Dale did a nice job and showed what happens when you plan it out, you drop back and get that momentum. You are able to go to the front," Patrick said. "I think he taught me something. I'm sure I'll watch the race and there will be other scenarios I see that can teach me, too."

Edited by Dizzyt (02/25/13 01:00 PM)

Isaac Asimov