FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1386508 - 02/08/13 10:12 AM Library or Computer "Room"?
Lee Alias Offline

Loc: NY,Seneca, Seneca Falls
Went to SF Library last night around 7, I saw a person reading a newspaper & I was looking for a book. All computers were being used and people waiting, young & old. Anytime I visit the Library I NEVER have seen anyone reading (except the people that work there.) or looking for books. Seems like a waste of space...why not reduce the size of the library & build town offices, inside?

FingerLakes1.com
#1386511 - 02/08/13 10:35 AM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Lee Alias
Went to SF Library last night around 7, I saw a person reading a newspaper & I was looking for a book. All computers were being used and people waiting, young & old. Anytime I visit the Library I NEVER have seen anyone reading (except the people that work there.) or looking for books. Seems like a waste of space...why not reduce the size of the library & build town offices, inside?

Yet again the observation made by one person about how a library should be used is now a thread to close it down. Better yet why not just take all the books out and burn them? No need to have a library anyway, it would be a much better plan to foster ignorance and illiteracy. If the computers are being used then why not have more computers?

#1386513 - 02/08/13 10:40 AM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny

Yet again the observation made by one person about how a library should be used is now a thread to close it down. Better yet why not just take all the books out and burn them?

#1386514 - 02/08/13 10:43 AM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Here's Johnny]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny
If the computers are being used then why not have more computers?

should we have one computer for every resident?

#1386516 - 02/08/13 11:00 AM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: bluezone]
a mom Offline

Loc: not far enough away
I use the library. I take my books home to read them.

#1386518 - 02/08/13 11:04 AM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: bluezone]
tag2 Offline

Loc: NY
I don't know about SF but when I go to the Geneva Library (to get my 5-8 books per week). We read instead of watching garbage on TV. I see lots of people checking out books, asking the librarians for help, reading the newspapers and magazines as well as seeing that most of the computers are in use. Are SF and Geneva residents that different? Maybe it is the time of day you went. Sit in the library for a day (reading a good book) and observe the usage. I also use inter library loan to get books from other libraries in the OWWL system which is great since it expands selections over multiple libraries.

#1386519 - 02/08/13 11:25 AM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Festus]
sox fan Offline

Loc: ny, usa
Yes, I know I'm on a computer now, but I hate technology! It's already happening with newspapers, the physical holding of what ones reading is going to be a thing of the past. That's why unemployment is where it's at. The computer has taken over the jobs. Just look at the post office for example. It's all about whats easier for the lazy human being.

#1386520 - 02/08/13 11:32 AM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
wallflower Offline

Loc: SF, NY
Originally Posted By: Lee Alias

You say you were looking for a book. If they had it, did you plan to, or did you, stay and read it there?

I don't think most people go to the library to read a book. They go to sign out a book and read it at home.

#1386528 - 02/08/13 01:08 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Lee Alias Offline

My point...for such a LARGE building, it is being "wasted". I was against the building years back. I agree with the person from Geneva. No matter what time of day Very seldon do I see anyone, other then people on the computers or in the "event" room off the hallway. Never see the the Director...is there one? The ladies behind the counter are either, reading, eating or knitting. Maybe the Community Center should have a computer room and/or some of the activites held at the Library. Just my thoughts and observations. Again, this is a building that some space could be used for Town offices.

#1386533 - 02/08/13 01:48 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
unclealbert40 Offline

Loc: NYS
Be Nice...Thats Mikes Building

#1386535 - 02/08/13 02:11 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
wallflower Offline

Loc: SF, NY
I guess I did miss your point before.

I would have to say for the size of the place, the number and selection of books is somewhat disappointing. Seems as though quite often what you're looking for has to be "ordered" from another library. And I have no idea what they use that entire upstairs for.

#1386537 - 02/08/13 02:28 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: wallflower]
COMETEETS Offline

Loc: NY
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#1386550 - 02/08/13 04:43 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
pebbles2000 Offline

Loc: ny
Hmm, I was there around 7 also and it was very busy with people looking for books and other items. Some towns are not as lucky to have the privilege of having a library. I think that having a library is very important not only for myself but for our children who are learing to read. My daughters love going into the library and picking out favorite books to bring home to read (yes, people do take books home to read!) They need a place to go and explore a good book. Our library does keep up on all the best sellers. If it has to be borrowed from another library its probably because someone else has it or has a waiting list on it. They have reading programs for all ages too. I would not want to go to the rec center for book programs thats a place for play. You really must not care that much to read or for the future generations if you want to get rid of our beautiful library. If you use the library for books yourself then why are you bashing it? I don't think you have a right to bash it if you use it.

#1386551 - 02/08/13 04:48 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: wallflower]
pebbles2000 Offline

Loc: ny
You are free to go upstairs anytime you want to. It has tables to study at, a law library to research, magazines and paperbacks to read and also holds Over sized book, Mysteries, Science Fiction and Westerns books. Oh, and the Directors office is upstairs. They even have yearbooks from Mynderse and Historical binders from our town historian Rebecca Holden.

#1386554 - 02/08/13 04:57 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
sox fan Offline

Loc: ny, usa
That peebles 2000 is on your case now, lol. Your post was about excessive space, she's got you bashing the library. Unreal how people change things around

#1386576 - 02/08/13 07:09 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
MCK Offline

Loc: SF
The girl scouts meet there now. There's a mother's group that meets there with their children on Mondays. We used to go there when we were between houses and had no high speed internet access North of the Thruway. The books that they have are all listed in line so you can search for the book and then be in and out of there quickly.

The library is one community resource that I think many of us support. They operate with a small staff and do an excellent job

#1386577 - 02/08/13 07:27 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: MCK]
Lee Alias Offline

Sox Fan...thanks, you are right such a LARGE building;that I feel could be shared with other town services. My point about the Community Center was having many of the activites there instead of the library. I love reading & children reading is a Library function. So there is a Director....does he come out of his office??? At the old library he would even check you out, was just wondering.

#1386580 - 02/08/13 07:46 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
a mom Offline

Loc: not far enough away
Sorry, I took it wrong. You are right, it does seem like a lot of wasted space.

#1386583 - 02/08/13 08:49 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: a mom]
Escape From SC Offline

Loc: NYS
HURRR only commies and liberuls read books DURRRR

#1386586 - 02/08/13 09:09 PM Re: Library or Computer "Room"? [Re: Lee Alias]
anncramer Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
The library is NOT a town service. It is a private not for profit entity like a museum. As such all its programs and classes are free to the public and paid for either by grants or because staff puts on the programs as part of their job.
As a private entity it has no business sharing space with a local government IMO. I agree that the Town Offices need better space. But they could have renovated the old Town Hall with insurance monies had the voters agreed. Now the Town is still stuck with paying rent and has been for several years. Not very sensible, but I see no public discussion by the Town Board to look for a better space since that negative vote.
Ann Cramer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >