FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1385588 - 02/01/13 10:22 AM Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Amish Men Accused of Animal Cruelty Defend Their Actions

Clyde, N.Y. - Two Amish men from Wayne County are accused of killing a litter of healthy puppies and their mother. “This is simply a case of animal cruelty,” says Wayne County District Attorney Rick Healy who intends to charge the pair.

The nine dead dogs were discovered in a compost pile and reported to police January 17th.

Merlin Schumacher who owns the dogs says he was trying to breed Australian Red Heelers, but when he couldn’t sell the dogs and they became “too big” he asked an employee to shoot them.

Jonathan Eicher agreed to put the dogs down.

In the Amish it’s acceptable to put dogs down. I thought as long as you did it out back it was okay,” Eicher told police. Eicher referred to what he called “the three S’s: shoot, shovel, and shut up.”

That is where Amish custom and New York law clash. New York A.G. and Market Laws prevent the killing of otherwise healthy animals for no reason.

“They need to understand that it is illegal,” says DA Healy. “They can’t treat the animals the way they want to treat the animals they must treat the animals humanely.”

Schumacher, who owns the dogs, told police he had “raised the dogs and couldn’t put them down myself so I asked Jonathan to do it.”

Both men now face nine counts of unjustifiably killing an animal which is a misdemeanor.

Schumacher was charged Wednesday, Eicher expected to be charged Wednesday evening.

Reported by: Jane Flasch
Email: jflasch@13wham.com
Published: 1/31 5:55 pm

FingerLakes1.com
#1385704 - 02/01/13 11:17 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: newsman38]
frech Offline

Loc: seneca county
This is why puppy mills should not be allowed!! These are the only ones we have heard about. How many other dogs have suffered needlessly. Confined to a cage, bred, given birth to the litter, and then shot, or otherwise killed because they did not make any money for the owners of these operations. If the men thought they did not do anything wrong, why the three S's. Shoot, shovel and shut-up. Why shut-up if you did nothing wrong? It is just disgusting. They have no morals. The laws have to change to allow for the full prosecution of these operations. Dogs are not livestock. They are companion animals who will protect their owners at risk to their own lives. It just sickens me that these mills are allowed to operate. And for those who say,"We don't know it is a puppy mill" the men arrested stated that they tried to raise the puppies to sell and when they could not sell them is when they murdered them. What would you call it?

#1385738 - 02/02/13 08:29 AM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: frech]
Creeper Offline

Loc: Funkytown
Frech, U are absolutely correct, and they will not stop as long as there are ppl who are still uneducated about puppy mills and what they are about !! I tell ppl who have questions or "question" the operations of puppy mills to just Google puppy mills and see/view the graphic pics then come back and ask ur questions. Adopt don't shop !! Penn Yan has many puppy mills there.

#1385824 - 02/02/13 07:35 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Creeper]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
Sorry, Penn Yan does not have any puppy mills. Not to say there are not any in rural Yates county. Don't put that on Penn Yan! \:\)

#1385864 - 02/03/13 10:05 AM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Mean Gene]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
Yates County has long been known as the puppy mill capital of NYS!!! I had heard one Yates County farm politician defend puppy mill operators with a vengenance saying they took good care of their dogs so they could make money off them. I have been in several puppy mills and the care is awful. I had heard the shoot, shovel & shut-up theory many times. In fact one puppy mill operator told me he had a puppy I could have if I wanted her. He said he would shoot her if I didn't take her. When i told him it was illegal to shoot dogs in NYS , he said he would hang her!!! I took her!

#1385866 - 02/03/13 10:05 AM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Mean Gene]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
Yates County has long been known as the puppy mill capital of NYS!!! I had heard one Yates County farm politician defend puppy mill operators with a vengenance saying they took good care of their dogs so they could make money off them. I have been in several puppy mills and the care is awful. I had heard the shoot, shovel & shut-up theory many times. In fact one puppy mill operator told me he had a puppy I could have if I wanted her. He said he would shoot her if I didn't take her. When i told him it was illegal to shoot dogs in NYS , he said he would hang her!!! I took her!

#1385969 - 02/03/13 10:00 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: nomi]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Amish,with human inbreeding and they believe beastiality is ok

Cruelty to Animals means very little to them. Another very sad religion where men think of nothing hurting their women.

#1386163 - 02/05/13 09:44 AM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: I did it!]
RigaMortis Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Disgusting, and the picture in the Wayne times was completely inappropriate. No one wants to see a dead dog on the front page. It's like those Sarah McCoughlin commercials- ruins your day.

#1386166 - 02/05/13 10:07 AM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: RigaMortis]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
It may ruin your day BUT it makes you take notice and think!

#1386167 - 02/05/13 10:09 AM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: frech]
secure white guy Offline

Loc: yoga mat
Originally Posted By: frech
This is why puppy mills should not be allowed!! These are the only ones we have heard about. How many other dogs have suffered needlessly. Confined to a cage, bred, given birth to the litter, and then shot, or otherwise killed because they did not make any money for the owners of these operations. If the men thought they did not do anything wrong, why the three S's. Shoot, shovel and shut-up. Why shut-up if you did nothing wrong? It is just disgusting. They have no morals. The laws have to change to allow for the full prosecution of these operations. Dogs are not livestock. They are companion animals who will protect their owners at risk to their own lives. It just sickens me that these mills are allowed to operate. And for those who say,"We don't know it is a puppy mill" the men arrested stated that they tried to raise the puppies to sell and when they could not sell them is when they murdered them. What would you call it?

For the 13 years I lived in Holmes County (Ohio) elected officials turned a deaf ear to Amish puppy mills, then national exposure threw a spoke in their buggy wheel. Make some noise Wayne Co.!!

#1386196 - 02/05/13 02:37 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Mean Gene]
CharlyAnne Offline

Loc: Waterloo
No puppy mils in Penn Yan? Here are some...

Nathan Zimmerman21-A-0103penn Yan, NY 14527102 adult dogs71 puppies Inspection Date April 20 2012No non-compliant items Aaron and Kathy Martin21-A-0153Penn Yan, NY 1452736 adult dogs4 puppiesInspection Date May 4 2012Kennel needs an overall cleaning Samuel Zimmerman21-A-0155Penn Yan, Ny 145276 adult dogs18 puppiesInspection Date February 3 2012

#1386198 - 02/05/13 03:01 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: CharlyAnne]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: CharlyAnne
No puppy mils in Penn Yan? Here are some...

Nathan Zimmerman21-A-0103penn Yan, NY 14527102 adult dogs71 puppies Inspection Date April 20 2012No non-compliant items Aaron and Kathy Martin21-A-0153Penn Yan, NY 1452736 adult dogs4 puppiesInspection Date May 4 2012Kennel needs an overall cleaning Samuel Zimmerman21-A-0155Penn Yan, Ny 145276 adult dogs18 puppiesInspection Date February 3 2012

Might be a Penn Yan Post Office Address but they are not located in Penn Yan. They are out in Yates County someplace. \:\)

#1386220 - 02/05/13 06:00 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Mean Gene]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
Name: :- Zimmerman, Nathan
DBA:
Address: 3587 Route 364
City: Penn Yan
County: Yates
State: NY
Zip: 14527

#1386222 - 02/05/13 06:02 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Festus]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.

#1386224 - 02/05/13 06:16 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Festus]
Mean Gene Offline

Thanks Festus, that location is probably 8-10 miles outside of Penn Yan.

#1386227 - 02/05/13 07:05 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Mean Gene]
ibepokenmore Offline

Loc: waterloo
so, since i am 3 miles outside of waterloo where do i live then? just admit there are puppy mills in penn yan. it's that kind of denial that gives them the way to hide and keep on doing it.

#1386228 - 02/05/13 07:06 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: newsman38]
ibepokenmore Offline

isn't there a way to make a registry of names of puppy mills that can be made public? to make people aware of them and not do business with them?

#1386245 - 02/05/13 09:44 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: ibepokenmore]
Mean Gene Offline

Sorry, where he lives has nothing to do with penn Yan other than a post office delivery area. No police electric water sewer or taxes. It's closer to branch port than PY.

#1386358 - 02/06/13 10:25 PM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: Mean Gene]
ibepokenmore Offline

i live in border city, my address is waterloo. therefore i live in waterloo. why is it such a burden to say there are puppy mills located in penn yan?

#1386378 - 02/07/13 12:40 AM Re: Clyde Amish Defend Cruelty to Animals [Re: ibepokenmore]
Mean Gene Offline

Yes, border city borders Waterloo, that is no burden. When its stated someone with a Penn Yan address is running a puppy mill one would assume that the Village of Penn Yan allows them.

The Address that was posted is probably close to ten miles outside of the Village. The only association is the Post Office address.

I don't think Penn Yan should get a bad rap for being associated with puppy mills, they are not. Its a Yates County controlled thing. \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >