FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1385444 - 01/30/13 08:51 PM Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Man behind Ithaca Commons bomb hoax pleads guilty

Though the suspected bomb in a box turned out to be a book, an Ithaca man may wind up behind bars for creating a scare last fall on The Commons.

Following his arrest in October, Matthew Whitney, 37, told Ithaca Police and FBI investigators that he placed a brown cardboard Nike box marked “Bomb” on The Commons to promote his “free energy cause,” according to court records.

The package was found just before 3 p.m. Oct. 11 outside the Bank of America building on The Commons. Ithaca police evacuated The Commons, and several businesses in the downtown area were forced to close for nearly four hours.

“It seemed to be an inconspicuous way to go about what I was doing,” Whitney told investigators when they asked why he placed the box in front of the bank. “I kind of knew this was futile, but to answer your question. Humanity has an option to free energy, and that was the message I was trying to get across.”

He had written to Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick and another news outlet and told them that he had placed the box, Whitney said.

“I explained why I did it and hoped that (Myrick) would be the outlet to allow me to explain to the city why I did what I did,” Whitney told investigators. His e-mail to Myrick, Whitney added, said that he was proud to be an Ithacan and that he hoped they could help each other.

Whitney is scheduled to be sentenced on March 5. He is being held in the Tompkins County Jail without bail.

Written by
Raymond Drumsta
5:00 PM, Jan 30, 2013

FingerLakes1.com
#1386029 - 02/04/13 01:12 PM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: newsman38]
Hicks McFarmer Offline

Loc: The woods
Sir, I believe you are nothing more than a terrorist.

Edited by Hicks McFarmer (02/04/13 01:13 PM)

#1386041 - 02/04/13 01:57 PM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: Hicks McFarmer]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
No, in Ithaca, only tea partiers, NRA members and/or pro-lifers can be terrorists.

#1386053 - 02/04/13 02:37 PM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: BigRed]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: BigRed
No, in Ithaca, only tea partiers, NRA members and/or pro-lifers can be terrorists.

Do't forget that in modern Amerika, those who say that government is inherently violent and illegitimate are also considered terrorists by some, even if their only principle is the non-aggression principle. That is, if they believe that initiating violence against anybody or any thing, including government, is wrong. Just as they believe that government's SOP threat of, and also initiation of, violence, are wrong, they also believe that initiation of violence against government is wrong.

Those who merely don't buy the propaganda are still beyond the pale, however; they commit the thought-crime of wanting to be free...of not gladly accepting their slavery.

#1390380 - 03/05/13 10:35 PM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Man who faked Commons bomb gets interim probation

On Tuesday, Judge John Rowley ordered Matthew Whitney, 37, to complete a year of interim probation to qualify for a sentence of time served and five years probation next March.

But Rowley warned Whitney that he faces up to four years in prison if he fails. Rowley also fined him $5,000 and ordered him to undergo a mental-health evaluation and substance-abuse treatment.

“I’m sorry I tainted the name of my hometown,” Whitney said in court on Tuesday.

6:10 PM, Mar 5, 2013

#1390396 - 03/06/13 12:07 AM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: newsman38]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
I'd like to him ordered time in a psy hospital to start with.
A joke is a joke but this is far more than should be accepted
for a normal mature adult.Not like he was a teenager!
37 come on.
OBTW what did this joke cost Ithac in man hours and money?
Was there any lost from the venders in the Commons for what has been as I see it just a joke.

#1390399 - 03/06/13 12:10 AM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: Hicks McFarmer]
I did it! Offline

Originally Posted By: Hicks McFarmer

Terrorist,What here we go again with he's a terrorist/racesit,etc. He didn't write it.He was just sharing news,dude.
This is who wrote the artical
Re;"Written by
Raymond Drumsta

#1390418 - 03/06/13 04:06 AM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: I did it!]
Hicks McFarmer Offline

Loc: The woods
Originally Posted By: I did it!
Originally Posted By: Hicks McFarmer

Terrorist,What here we go again with he's a terrorist/racesit,etc. He didn't write it.He was just sharing news,dude.
This is who wrote the artical
Re;"Written by
Raymond Drumsta

Well I was talking about Whitney, he was the man that planted the fake bomb. I am not sure if we read the same story.

#1390437 - 03/06/13 09:54 AM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: Hicks McFarmer]
I did it! Offline

sorry. yes ok
BA

#1391151 - 03/10/13 02:11 PM Re: Bomb Hoaxer: Proud Ithacan [Re: BigRed]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
Originally Posted By: BigRed

Ain't that the truth! I still travel confidently with my "right wing" bumper stickers, just to annoy everyone in town.