FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 159 < 1 2 3 4 ... 158 159 >
Topic Options
#1385611 --- 02/01/13 09:45 AM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: SportsRef1]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
those pesky Kennedy's wont miss their chance to profit from "O" care......

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/01/sec-su...o-corporations/

FingerLakes1.com
#1385641 --- 02/01/13 12:36 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: SportsRef1]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Poorest Americans could be fined under Obamacare
Published: 31 January, 2013, 23:15

About 500 000 children would be left without insurance and the poorest Americans could be fined under President Obama’s new health care law because of a loophole that the administration and Congress failed to fix.

Lawmakers passed the Affordable Care Act in 2010 without taking care of a loophole that would make it impossible for low-income families to purchase health care for their themselves or their children. Under the health care law, anyone who fails to acquire insurance will be forced to pay a heavy tax penalty – including those who can’t afford their employer’s insurance plans.

To downplay the severity of the loophole, the administration is calling it a “glitch” and claiming that it was initially unable to address it because of the way Congress wrote the law. Now, two years after the law was voted on, the affordability loophole is posing a significant problem in wake of many of the provisions' 2014 implementation.

The Obama administration initially planned to offer financial assistance to families to buy private health insurance if they cannot afford their employers’ options – but Congress did not include text for the financial assistance program in the Affordable Care Act.

Under the law, anyone who remains uninsured will be forced to pay heavy fines – including those who can’t afford their employer’s insurance plans. And the IRS on Wednesday refused to exempt such individuals from the fines.

Employer-sponsored health care plans are on the rise, but some families that are unable to afford the coverage offered by their job could be left uninsured when “Obamacare” goes into effect. In the legislation, affordable coverage is defined as costing no more than 9.5 percent of family income. But low-income workers might be unable to pay for the care offered by their employer – especially if it exceeds the affordability margin. Health insurance coverage also costs more if a worker has a family to cover, making it difficult for low-income families to also insure their children.

An average workplace plan costs about $5,600 per individual worker and about $15,700 for a family, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Paying three times as much might not be an option for those with insufficient incomes, thereby prompting them to leave their children uninsured.

Bruce Lesley, president of First Focus, told AP that close to 500,000 children could be left without insurance because of the loophole. Many families will not be able to afford coverage unless their employers help them pay for the premiums – which not all employers do.

In order to solve the problem, Congress would need to amend the health care law, since a significant measure is missing from the text and the IRS failed to exempt Americans who are poor and uninsured from financial penalties.

“They are bound by the law and cannot extend further than what the law provides,” Neil Trautwein, vice president of the National Retail Federation, told AP.

But Republicans are already starkly opposed to “Obamacare” and would be unlikely to add new measures it, thereby leaving the Obama administration – and the people his law would cover – stuck in the mud.

The loophole would significantly burden low-income families, making the Affordable Care Act not so affordable for everyone. But unlike a “glitch”, which is usually a short-lived fault, this gap might simply thrust hundreds of thousands of Americans further into poverty.

http://rt.com/usa/news/americans-care-law-loophole-179/

#1385644 --- 02/01/13 12:39 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Ghosts
Poorest Americans could be fined under Obamacare
Published: 31 January, 2013, 23:15

About 500 000 children would be left without insurance and the poorest Americans could be fined under President Obama’s new health care law because of a loophole that the administration and Congress failed to fix.

Lawmakers passed the Affordable Care Act in 2010 without taking care of a loophole that would make it impossible for low-income families to purchase health care for their themselves or their children. Under the health care law, anyone who fails to acquire insurance will be forced to pay a heavy tax penalty – including those who can’t afford their employer’s insurance plans.

To downplay the severity of the loophole, the administration is calling it a “glitch” and claiming that it was initially unable to address it because of the way Congress wrote the law. Now, two years after the law was voted on, the affordability loophole is posing a significant problem in wake of many of the provisions' 2014 implementation.

The Obama administration initially planned to offer financial assistance to families to buy private health insurance if they cannot afford their employers’ options – but Congress did not include text for the financial assistance program in the Affordable Care Act.

Under the law, anyone who remains uninsured will be forced to pay heavy fines – including those who can’t afford their employer’s insurance plans. And the IRS on Wednesday refused to exempt such individuals from the fines.

Employer-sponsored health care plans are on the rise, but some families that are unable to afford the coverage offered by their job could be left uninsured when “Obamacare” goes into effect. In the legislation, affordable coverage is defined as costing no more than 9.5 percent of family income. But low-income workers might be unable to pay for the care offered by their employer – especially if it exceeds the affordability margin. Health insurance coverage also costs more if a worker has a family to cover, making it difficult for low-income families to also insure their children.

An average workplace plan costs about $5,600 per individual worker and about $15,700 for a family, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Paying three times as much might not be an option for those with insufficient incomes, thereby prompting them to leave their children uninsured.

Bruce Lesley, president of First Focus, told AP that close to 500,000 children could be left without insurance because of the loophole. Many families will not be able to afford coverage unless their employers help them pay for the premiums – which not all employers do.

In order to solve the problem, Congress would need to amend the health care law, since a significant measure is missing from the text and the IRS failed to exempt Americans who are poor and uninsured from financial penalties.
“They are bound by the law and cannot extend further than what the law provides,” Neil Trautwein, vice president of the National Retail Federation, told AP.

But Republicans are already starkly opposed to “Obamacare” and would be unlikely to add new measures it, thereby leaving the Obama administration – and the people his law would cover – stuck in the mud.

The loophole would significantly burden low-income families, making the Affordable Care Act not so affordable for everyone. But unlike a “glitch”, which is usually a short-lived fault, this gap might simply thrust hundreds of thousands of Americans further into poverty.

http://rt.com/usa/news/americans-care-law-loophole-179/

Can't be, Obama only raises taxes on the rich. \:D

#1385646 --- 02/01/13 12:55 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: cwjga]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: CNY

I suppose it's irrelevant that a correction can and will soon be made. It's already in the works folks.

#1385650 --- 02/01/13 01:06 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Timbo]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo

I suppose it's irrelevant that a correction can and will soon be made. It's already in the works folks.

Since you represent yourself as a know-it-all "insider", I will look forward to your post with details . . . soon.

#1385651 --- 02/01/13 01:10 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Since you represent yourself as a know-it-all "insider", I will look forward to your post with details . . . soon.

No. That's just how you perceive me to be. As for the details... I'll let you wait this one out, as you can't be bothered to look it up for yourself. Talk about an unearned sense of entitlement.

#1385652 --- 02/01/13 01:14 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Timbo]
Ghosts Offline

You need to reread your OWN words or provide a link that provides "facts" that support your statement. After all, you demand no less from most of the posters on here. Thank you.

#1385653 --- 02/01/13 01:18 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

For you, I'll make an exception.

It should be fun to watch you go through the inevitable political spasms, when the facts become clear to you. Youuu'll see.

#1385663 --- 02/01/13 02:16 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Timbo]
Ghosts Offline

I rest my case.

#1385664 --- 02/01/13 02:30 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

I rest my case.

> sigh <

Your forum signature represents you well.

Ron Pollack, the executive director of the health care advocacy group Families USA, told Modern Healthcare, "This is a very significant problem, and we have urged that it be fixed. It is clear that the only way this can be fixed is through legislation and not the regulatory process."

Unfortunately, that doesn't bode well for the American families who fall inside of this coverage gap. While Obama Administration officials have called for a fix, the GOP-controlled House of Representatives has been staunch in its refusal to do anything with Obamacare other than obstruct its funding sources. Some Republicans have gone even further than that, attempting to strip away the law's federal insurance subsidies to Americans in states that choose not to implement their own exchanges, claiming that a semantic technicality in Obamacare forbids assisting Americans in such states from buying coverage - a move that the Administration has vehemently rejected, since it would financially devastate Americans in half of the country.

The IRS has instituted certain regulations in an attempt to mollify the impact of the loophole on American families, ruling that families that fall into that coverage hole will not be subject to the law’s penalty for not purchasing insurance. All in all, very few Americans will actually be subject to the individual insurance mandate penalty, and 80 percent of those who will have incomes higher than the federal poverty level. Still, that may end up being small comfort for the Americans whose employers choose not to pitch in for family health plans.

#1385677 --- 02/01/13 04:16 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Timbo]
Ghosts Offline

Yes, it does! I find it humorous. Don't you? Oh, never mind, I almost forgot to whom I was addressing.

The IRS has instituted certain regulations in an attempt to mollify the impact of the loophole on American families,

Hmmmm . . . a tad different then the certainty that you posted.

#1385679 --- 02/01/13 04:18 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY

Voted for Free Healthcare? IRS Says Cheapest Obamatax Plan is $20,000
Kyle Becker February 1, 2013 2:31 pm

Just like with the tax hikes in the fiscal cliff deal, Democrat supporters are in for some unpleasant surprises. A report from CNS News shows that the cheapest plan the IRS says Americans can buy or pay a penalty tax is… $20,000. Check this out:

In a final regulation issued Wednesday, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) assumed that under Obamacare the cheapest health insurance plan available in 2016 for a family will cost $20,000 for the year.

Under Obamacare, Americans will be required to buy health insurance or pay a penalty to the IRS.

Oh, now that’s defending the middle class! Pay for cadillac coverage or go onto the Obamatax farm… as if Americans are sheeple. Got to love how Democrats respect individual rights in this country.

But w-w-wait it gets worse? This is only the pricetag for the bronze plan for a family of five?

“The annual national average bronze plan premium for a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) is $20,000,” the regulation says.

Bronze will be the lowest tier health-insurance plan available under Obamacare–after Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Under the law, the penalty [sic] for not buying health insurance is supposed to be capped at either the annual average Bronze premium, 2.5 percent of taxable income, or $2,085.00 per family in 2016.

That’s great. Insurance companies will make out like bandits if Americans carry private coverage or will become part of the bureaucratic mess that will surely emerge from the nationalization of one-sixth of the economy. Now, that’s “choice.”

If you don’t currently live in one of nearly half the states refusing to put into place the Obamacare insurance exchanges, you might want to forget about calling the IRS to have them explain what’s expected of you, and instead, call a moving company. If that’s not possible, one could always try requesting a waiver; that’s what the politically connected friends of President Obama did.

#1385709 --- 02/01/13 09:42 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
Timbo Offline
Silver Member

Yes, it does! I find it humorous. Don't you? Oh, never mind, I almost forgot to whom I was addressing.

The IRS has instituted certain regulations in an attempt to mollify the impact of the loophole on American families,

Hmmmm . . . a tad different then the certainty that you posted.

Care to read the rest of that article? You might get a clue.

#1385740 --- 02/02/13 07:01 AM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Timbo]
Ghosts Offline

This part?

"If you don’t currently live in one of nearly half the states refusing to put into place the Obamacare insurance exchanges, you might want to forget about calling the IRS to have them explain what’s expected of you, and instead, call a moving company. If that’s not possible, one could always try requesting a waiver; that’s what the politically connected friends of President Obama did.""

#1385741 --- 02/02/13 07:20 AM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/...e-the-same?lite

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, The Associated Press

This fall, new insurance markets called exchanges will open in each state, marking the long-awaited and much-debated debut of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

The goal is quality coverage for millions of uninsured people in the United States. What the reality will look like is anybody's guess — from bureaucracy, confusion and indifference to seamless service and satisfied customers.

Exchanges will offer individuals and their families a choice of private health plans resembling what workers at major companies already get. The federal government will help many middle-class households pay their premiums, while low-income people will be referred to safety-net programs they might qualify for.

Most people will go online to pick a plan when open enrollment starts Oct. 1. Counselors will be available at call centers and in local communities, too. Some areas will get a storefront operation or kiosks at the mall. Translation to Spanish and other languages spoken by immigrants will be provided.

When you pick a plan, you'll no longer have to worry about getting turned down or charged more because of a medical problem. If you're a woman, you can't be charged a higher premium because of gender. Middle-aged people and those nearing retirement will get a price break: They can't be charged more than three times what younger customers pay, compared with six times or seven times today for most private plans.

The Affordable Care Act is the biggest thing that's happened to health care since Medicare and Medicaid in the 1960s. But with open enrollment for exchange plans less than 10 months away, there's a dearth of consumer information. It's as if the consumer angle got drowned out by the political world's dispute over "Obamacare," the dismissive label coined by Republican foes.

Yet exchanges are coming to every state, even those led by staunch GOP opponents of the overhaul, such as Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Nikki Haley of South Carolina. In their states and close to 20 others that are objecting, the exchanges will be operated by the federal government, over state opposition. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has pledged that every citizen will have access to an exchange come next Jan. 1, and few doubt her word.

#1385847 --- 02/03/13 05:49 AM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: kyle585]
SportsRef1 Offline

"Yet exchanges are coming to every state, even those led by staunch GOP opponents of the overhaul, such as Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Nikki Haley of South Carolina. In their states and close to 20 others that are objecting, the exchanges will be operated by the federal government, over state opposition. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has pledged that every citizen will have access to an exchange come next Jan. 1, and few doubt her word."

then you know they'll be screwed up......the federal govt. doesn't have the ability to run a one person circle jerk, at least not right.

"and few doubt her word."

I know I feel a whole better after reading that!

#1385849 --- 02/03/13 05:55 AM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: SportsRef1]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: SportsRef1
then you know they'll be screwed up......the federal govt. doesn't have the ability to run a one person circle jerk, at least not right.
It is tough to run a function in a state where the governor is fighting you all the way and making it tough for their citizens to get quality health care.

#1385850 --- 02/03/13 05:56 AM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: SportsRef1]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/...icare-payments/

In yet another blow to traditional fee-for-service medicine where doctors and hospitals are paid for each service provided for each patient’s illness or course of treatment, the Obama administration says more than 500 hospitals and related health care organizations have agreed to be paid “bundled payments” as part of a three-year initiative.

The payment method, which means medical-care providers will receive somewhat less money for an “episode of care,” is an initiative under the Affordable Care Act that will be tested over the next three years to see if bundling payments can lower the costs of the Medicare health insurance program for the elderly. Meanwhile, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services hopes the more than 500 organizations that will soon begin participating in the effort will provide more coordinated medical care for seniors.

“This is huge and this is historic,” Jonathan Blum, a deputy administrator at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said of the large number of providers participating in the bundled payment initiative. “This is a huge scale.”

The program works by bundling Medicare payments for services seniors would receive during an “episode of care” such as a surgical procedure that would put them in a hospital. The bundled payments encourage “hospitals, physicians, post-acute facilities, and other providers as applicable to work together to improve health outcomes and lower costs,” the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid said in a statement.

Medical care providers in turn agree to provide the Medicare program a discount from “expected payments.” Medical care providers that may have received $40,000 for a heart surgery might provide a 2 percent discount so the government would only have to provide a bundled payment of $39,200. If the cost of care was more than that amount, the government would be sent a check for the cost overrun depending on the type of care treated.

Though bundled payment efforts have been tested in the past, Blum said none have been as broad or garnered as much participation from providers of medical care, particularly hospitals and post-acute care providers. “This new initiative is so important to the Medicare program,” Blum said.

And while Medicare’s bundled payment effort is scheduled to run three years, the approach is not going away because the private sector is already providing bundled payments. Already, private insurance companies like UnitedHealth Group (UNH), Humana (HUM), Aetna (AET) and most Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans are making bundled payments to groups of doctors and hospitals.

The insurance industry and Medicare see the move toward bundled payments as moving away from what Blum called fragmented care that “leads to poor coordination of patients.” The bundled payment approach links reimbursements providers have historically received for multiple services. Medical care providers, who will be paid as a team rather than each provider getting a separate payment, will have latitude to design and develop how they deliver the care to improve outcomes.

“The objective of this initiative is to improve the quality of health care delivery for Medicare beneficiaries, while reducing the program expenditures, by aligning the financial incentives of all providers,” Acting Administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Marilyn Tavenner, said in a statement.

#1385942 --- 02/03/13 04:33 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: Ghosts]
WilllOWisp Offline

I rest my case.
Ghost, you are an excellent poster \:\)

#1385944 --- 02/03/13 04:41 PM Re: Obama care....Really [Re: WilllOWisp]
WilllOWisp Offline

cqjga, you also are an excellent poster. I get tired of posting links to the truth for uninformed posters, but you guys are on a roll!I wish I was following you, Ghost, Kyle585 and sportsref on FB.

Page 2 of 159 < 1 2 3 4 ... 158 159 >