FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1382784 - 01/15/13 09:37 PM New "Gun control" law passed by the state
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
For those of you who have not heard, the NYS Senate passed a new gun control law late last night and then it was rammed thru the NYS legislature this afternoon. This is sure to cause alot of people to be upset. What do you think of this new restriction on gun owners?

You now have to register certain guns and you cannot possess an ammo clip that is holding more than 7 rounds. Your "pre-ban" rifles are good but they are not much use as most of them don't make a clip for them that holds less than ten rounds. An owner has a year to register their pre-ban weapons or they have the option of selling them to someone out of state!!

Edited by Mean Gene (01/15/13 09:57 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1382813 - 01/16/13 01:58 AM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Loc: PARTYING!
Mean Gene, can you go into specifics about the new laws? How does affect hunters in the area? Will any guns used for hunting be banned?

As far as my opinion, if that what it takes to prevent tragedies like Newtown, CT. I'm on board! Make sure all gun owners are responsible with their guns, if the mother of this guy in CT. properly had her guns locked away this would've never happened. I'm sorry she died but there is no reason her guns should have been out for her son to get especially with the problems she was having with him.

Nobody needs these type types of weapons unless they are planning on fighting an army. Anyone buying that amount of ammunition should have the FBI sent to their house!

Gun supporters are calling for mental health reform, yes I think this will help but you cannot assume everyone with a certain mental diagnosis is going to shoot up a school or movie theater. What do they want? Lock away anyone with a certain diagnosis why their precious guns remain on the street?

#1382875 - 01/16/13 11:24 AM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: S.P. King 4th]
RedSoloCup Offline

Loc: NY
They can make all the laws that they want but it is only hurting law abiding citizens. CRIMINAL DO NOT CARE ABOUT LAWS. Drugs are illegal and they are still being sold and use. If they want to ban "assault weapons" then they should ban cars, planes, trains, any type of utensil and anything that can be used to hurt or kill someone. It is a ridiculous law far as some of it goes like reducing the number of rounds from 10 to 7 in a gun that has a magazine, so in reality they are reducing it from 11 to 8. When you have 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber you have 11, and when you have 7 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber you have 8. Does the new law go for LEO also? If not it should because they fall under the law also. IMO the magazines should be left at 10 for law abiding citizens because criminals will still be using high cap magazines. Yes I believe that there should be more done with the mentally ill so they do not get a hold the firearms. If they are diagnosed as mentally ill at a young age then they should not be allowed to even shoot a firearm or know how to use one.

If you really think and look at where most of the mass shooting have taken place, most of them have been in GUN FREE ZONES, schools, some theater and first responder incidents. In Utah you are allowed to carry on some school grounds. If you would like more info on that just Google Utah school concealed carry and you will get all the info you need. What you don't see is when a criminal goes somewhere where there is an armed citizen that is willing to protect themselves with there CCW and 99% of the time the criminal is stopped or leaves because he/she does not want the confrontation or the risk of being caught.

It is not the gun that will kill people. I can leave my gun sitting on the table loaded ready to go target shooting and it will not go off. It is the person holding the gun that makes the gun shoot.

Also if the president is going to make it hard or impossible for law abiding citizens to have firearms then his security should be with firearms since the rest of us will not have. Oh wait that will NEVER happen because criminals will still have guns.

I know that I will get some negative feedback on this and that is fine. I will respond when I get a chance to all. I am sure Mean Gene will agree with me on some of this. The one thing that all of you have to think about is that a lot these shootings took place in GUN FREE ZONES.

Also feel free to PM me with you thoughts or questions

#1382903 - 01/16/13 01:08 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: RedSoloCup]
evilducky Offline

This law will not prevent any tragedies like the one in Newtown. This law only effects law abiding citizens and helps criminals. SP, what do you mean by these types of weapons? Semi-automatic weapons? You do realize that they are used in sporting competitions and everyday home/personal defense every day? If this is going to lower or stop crimes, then why is this guy saying that hes voting for it even though it wont do anything to stop crimes? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFC92PcHRxI&feature=player_detailpage#t=66s

#1382907 - 01/16/13 01:32 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: evilducky]
Mean Gene Offline

sorry King, I'm not with you on this one. I bought my beretta 9mm semi-auto when I retired. (my former duty gun) I believe it was 12 plus one in the chamber. The new law makes the standard clips for that gun illegal. I watched the live cast of the NYS legislature prior to this vote. Bill Nojay, rookie state legislative member said it best. He said, after listening to all the debate about this issue he would be voting no. His reason was the law makes about a million law abiding New Yorkers criminals and does nothing to stop the criminals.

The way it was done was ridiculous, voted on by the senate at 11PM and rammed thru the assembly the next day.

I wish I could find the video on line that a manufacturer of the "assault style" rifles put up. It shows that five rounds of bird shot from a shotgun does more damage on five targets than 20 rounds, five each in the targets does from the rifle. Its also done much faster with the shotgun.

Look at history, in Germany they made people register their guns first, then later on confiscated all of them.

#1382927 - 01/16/13 02:27 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Mean Gene]
cwjga Offline

I have a rifle that holds (it is at least 60 years old) 30 shells. Does that mean that I have to register it because it holds more than 7?

#1382984 - 01/16/13 05:37 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: cwjga]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY

I don't believe so, just that you can only have seven rounds in it (as I understand it).

#1382986 - 01/16/13 05:41 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Timbo]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo

I don'y believe so, just that you can only have seven rounds in it (as I understand it).

That is just stupid.

#1383098 - 01/17/13 09:55 AM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: cwjga]
Mean Gene Offline

Firearms fifty years old are exempt

#1383105 - 01/17/13 10:25 AM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Mean Gene]
Rooster Cogburn Offline

Loc: Fort Smith
Those BoneHeads forgot to put in a provision for the cops and military. They cant carry those scary weapons anymore either. Looks like Mussolini and his liberal minions screwed the pooch

#1383108 - 01/17/13 10:42 AM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Mean Gene]
Lucinda Knotts Offline

Loc: USA
So my old 13 round Browning Hi Power 9mm is exempt, but my newer 13 round Beretta model 92 Compact 9mm is prohibited? Who's going to enter my house to count the rounds in either pistol? Under what circumstances? For once, I (hack, cough) agree (hack, gasp, cough) with cwjga -- this is stupid!

#1383132 - 01/17/13 12:01 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Rooster Cogburn]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: Rooster Cogburn
Those BoneHeads forgot to put in a provision for the cops and military. They cant carry those scary weapons anymore either. Looks like Mussolini and his liberal minions screwed the pooch

I watched part of the "debate" in the Assembly and the law enforcement issue was brought up. The bill's sponsers "thought" there was another law that would exempt law enforcement but they probably would do an amendment to make it clear. DUH!! If they spent a little time on it and didn't ram it thru things like that wouldn't happen!!

Edited by Mean Gene (01/17/13 12:04 PM)

#1383133 - 01/17/13 12:03 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Lucinda Knotts]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: Lucinda Knotts
So my old 13 round Browning Hi Power 9mm is exempt, but my newer 13 round Beretta model 92 Compact 9mm is prohibited? Who's going to enter my house to count the rounds in either pistol? Under what circumstances? For once, I (hack, cough) agree (hack, gasp, cough) with cwjga -- this is stupid!

I bought my 92 Beretta compact 9mm from the department when i retired. (duty weapon) The New law does make the standard clip for that gun illegal. Hopefully more logical minds will prevail and this thing will get changed.

#1383147 - 01/17/13 01:10 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Mean Gene]
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
Originally Posted By: Mean Gene

I bought my 92 Beretta compact 9mm from the department when i retired. (duty weapon) The New law does make the standard clip for that gun illegal. Hopefully more logical minds will prevail and this thing will get changed.

The shooter at Sandy Hook had 30 round magazines. If they weren't available to his mother, the body count may have been lower.

#1383148 - 01/17/13 01:12 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Cinnamon]
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
For the most part, the mass shootings were committed by people who were, until the time of the shooting, law-abiding citizens.

#1383155 - 01/17/13 02:17 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Cinnamon]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: Cinnamon
For the most part, the mass shootings were committed by people who were, until the time of the shooting, law-abiding citizens.

That is a real stretch.

#1383156 - 01/17/13 02:18 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Cinnamon]
cwjga Offline

The shooter at Sandy Hook had 30 round magazines. If they weren't available to his mother, the body count may have been lower.

That is a real "what if"

#1383158 - 01/17/13 02:31 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Rooster Cogburn]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: Rooster Cogburn

Riiight, because Mussolini was a well known Liberal.

#1383160 - 01/17/13 02:35 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: cwjga]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: cwjga

That is a real "what if"

No more so, than the argument that 'restricting guns, won't reduce shootings'.

#1383167 - 01/17/13 03:03 PM Re: New "Gun control" law passed by the state [Re: Cinnamon]
Mean Gene Offline

That is a stretch as he was in a "gun free zone" which translates into a target rich enviornment. He could have just as easily used one of the semi-auto pistols he had. If he only had seven round clips he could have just brought more clips with him. it takes one to two seconds to re-load.

just about every mass shooter has been tied to some sort of psyco-tropic drug that they were on. More emphasis on legislation to address reporting and treating mental health issues is needed. Not more gun control that only will make law abiding citizens criminals!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >