FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1382767 - 01/15/13 08:36 PM Illegal stops
j3668py Offline

Loc: new york
Over the last several months there has been many reports of motorist being pull over by several rogue cops of the Penn Yan police department for bogus reasons, some of these made up charges are not using turning signals or not signaling soon enough. If you or a friend has experience anything similar please contact the PY police chief or the village board and file a public complaint against these BAD COPS.

Edited by j3668py (01/15/13 08:38 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1382773 - 01/15/13 08:52 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: j3668py]
northcat Offline

Loc: pyny
This is so true. I know of several people who have gone downtown to pick up their kids from the bars and find that they are stopped for not using their signal soon enough. Another friend was followed all the way home when they were going through downtown around 1am and one of pd picked up on them.
This is why most of the people I know won't go out anymore downtown.

#1382783 - 01/15/13 09:32 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
Originally Posted By: j3668py
Over the last several months there has been many reports of motorist being pull over by several rogue cops of the Penn Yan police department for bogus reasons, some of these made up charges are not using turning signals or not signaling soon enough. If you or a friend has experience anything similar please contact the PY police chief or the village board and file a public complaint against these BAD COPS.

Sorry "j", what you describe are not illegal stops. If someone does not use their turn signal, or fails to signal within the required distance prior to turning they are tickatable offenses.

Add that to someone committing either one of those violations around 1AM or after it is sure to draw the attention of an on duty officer. If they stopped someone for either of those and they were not intoxicated I am betting they didn't issue a ticket. If they found a driver to be intox after stopping for "failure to signal" I'm guessing they would get the ticket, as it was the basis for a traffic stop. It is what it is!!!

You know as well as I that someone cannot be pulled over unless they commit a violation or there is some other suspicion that it is based on. \:\)

Edited by Mean Gene (01/15/13 09:33 PM)

#1382791 - 01/15/13 10:20 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Mean Gene]
j3668py Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene

Sorry "j", what you describe are not illegal stops. If someone does not use their turn signal, or fails to signal within the required distance prior to turning they are tickatable offenses.

Add that to someone committing either one of those violations around 1AM or after it is sure to draw the attention of an on duty officer. If they stopped someone for either of those and they were not intoxicated I am betting they didn't issue a ticket. If they found a driver to be intox after stopping for "failure to signal" I'm guessing they would get the ticket, as it was the basis for a traffic stop. It is what it is!!!

You know as well as I that someone cannot be pulled over unless they commit a violation or there is some other suspicion that it is based on. \:\)
Sorry Gene what I do describe are illegal stops, bogus means false which means these DIRTY COPS are DIRTY.

#1382793 - 01/15/13 10:32 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

Well I agree if the stop was "bogus", as in made up. I would hope the guys on duty would have enough to keep them busy that they wouldn't be making up reasons to stop people. Get your video tape rolling, if it is happening as you say then you should be able to document it. Otherwise its a he said, she said situation. \:\)

#1382810 - 01/16/13 01:14 AM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Loc: PARTYING!
Mean Gene, have you ever witnessed someone you wanted to pull over because they didn't commit any violations giving you cause to stop them. You know what, you better not answer, we will probably just get one of your "wishy washy" answers of late. \:\)

#1382811 - 01/16/13 01:37 AM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Get your video tape rolling, if it is happening as you say then you should be able to document it. Otherwise its a he said, she said situation. \:\)

Spoken like a true former penn yan police chief! As we already know in Penn Yan and Yates County you are not presumed innocent until proven guilty. You are guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent,and have the funds to provide a good attorney.

Why are the PYPD cars not rigged to have a camera start rolling a few minutes before a traffic stop to catch the alleged violation?

It would prevent the "he said, she said." But the PYPD already knows they are drunk, and you already assume a majority of the people in court are guilty anyway. Remember, that was your answer to my concern that Brockman wasn't properly defending people, just pushing them into a plea deal the DA wanted. You said a majority of the people were guilty anyway so plea bargaining was an important part of the process.

If someone cannot afford an attorney they are appointed with Brockman. If someone is charged with DWI by the Village Police and contend the police did not have a reason to stop them, or are down right lying saying they didn't use a signal when they did will Brockman challenge the stop? Will he be a good public defender and say his clients rights were violated? Or will he be a good a attorney for the Village, and not bring up liability. What if his "client" wanted to sue the Village afterwards?

Since we know they are guilty anyway and you say it's a "he said, she said" about the credibility of the stop, this is all nonsense and wasting the tax payers money. Why should the PYPD have to prove anything? Why should they have the right to a defense when we know they are guilty. Why not just eliminate court and after someone is charged with DWI in the Village (or any other petty crime) the police knows they are guilty of)be sentenced on site by the Village Police!

\:\)

The majority of people charged are usually guilty of what they are charged with! Plea Bargaining is an important part of the system.

#1382917 - 01/16/13 01:41 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: S.P. King 4th]
Mean Gene Offline

King, well spoken, you would do well as a defense attorney! \:\)

I never pulled anyone over unless I had probable cause, good cops don't do that. If an officer skirts the rules there then who knows what other improper things he might do.

That being said, I have alwyas said that the police profession is no different that any other profession. There are good and bad everywhere. I don't think any profession is exempt from poor performers.

As far as cameras in the cars, its a cost issue that the Village would not want to spring for.

Yes, I do think plea bargining is an important part of the process. yes, I do think that someone may on occasion take a plea deal, even if they don't think they are guilty. (because they think its a good deal!)

Our system is not the greatest but its better than alot of other countries. Bad cops make bad laws.

Edited by Mean Gene (01/16/13 01:42 PM)

#1382950 - 01/16/13 03:36 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Mean Gene, you know I like to play and have fun. :ccol: \:\)

As far as cameras in the cars, its a cost issue that the Village would not want to spring for.

As far as cost, I have no idea what these systems cost, but wouldn't it be a better investment than the Village defending itself against a lawsuit? It would prevent any bad apples from making a reason why they stopped someone and those who are truly guilty from making a story that they were wrongly pulled over.

#1382965 - 01/16/13 04:28 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: S.P. King 4th]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: S.P. King 4th

As far as cost, I have no idea what these systems cost, but wouldn't it be a better investment than the Village defending itself against a lawsuit? It would prevent any bad apples from making a reason why they stopped someone and those who are truly guilty from making a story that they were wrongly pulled over.

You are preaching to the choir!! My experience was its not in the Village's DNA to spend money on the PD!! I pretty much never did my budget, it was done for me except a few line items that included paper clips, ammo and copying paper! \:\)

#1382995 - 01/16/13 06:17 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Mean Gene]
j3668py Offline

Originally Posted By: S.P. King 4th

You are preaching to the choir!! My experience was its not in the Village's DNA to spend money on the PD!! I pretty much never did my budget, it was done for me except a few line items that included paper clips, ammo and copying paper! \:\)
They don't have cameras to protect the cops from lawsuits because cameras would prove that some of the cops are dirty, and they are not worried about lawsuits because insurance picks that bill up. The chief knows which cops are dirty so he should get rid of them.

#1383152 - 01/17/13 01:58 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: j3668py]
Chris.Mickelsen Offline

Loc: Yates
This has happened to me twice, once by NYS Troopers and once by PYPD. I live in PY and drive to Gates every day, 120 miles round trip. Both times this happened it was due to a, so called, complaint from an undercover officer I was told. I was driving north on 14A and come up on a car doing 45mph in a 55mph zone just after Hall. I passed the car legally, broken line and never went over 55mph. Driving southbound was the Ontario County prison transport vehicle which flashed their light at me, even though I was back in the North bound lane 1/8 mile before we passed. The next morning there was a NYS trooper waiting for me at the Frontier building just north of hall. He saw me and pulled me over. I asked why and was told that he had received a complaint from an undercover officer that "I was driving dangerously, with the potential to cause an accident”. I denied it and ask why the “undercover” officer didn’t pull me over, I was told that “It’s not their responsibility”, which I argued that if I am dangerous, isn’t that their job. The office held me for 30 min and inspected every inch of my car and asked if my windows were tinted legally. I told the officer they better be as I had told the shop when I bought the car to make them legal. He put the meter on the window and wrote me a ticket for illegally tinted windows even though he would not allow me to see the value on the meter. Ticket cost me $250 and allot of aggravation. The PYPD time was officer AMO, many many years ago and is too long of a story to tell, but was the first time I watched an officer of the law lie, in court, under oath.

Edited by Chris.Mickelsen (01/17/13 03:26 PM)

#1383166 - 01/17/13 02:57 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Chris.Mickelsen]
Mean Gene Offline

The PYPD officer you refer has been gone a long time and is no longer in law enforcement. You may have not been alone in your first time experience.

#1383174 - 01/17/13 03:35 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Mean Gene]
Chris.Mickelsen Offline

Loc: Yates
I want to be clear that I am just offering instances where this does happen and that I am not pooping on PYPD as there have been several really good officers we have been lucky to have working on our behalf, specifically officers Morehouse and Donovan.

#1383181 - 01/17/13 04:03 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Chris.Mickelsen]
Believer4 Offline

Loc: New York State
First of all Chris....sorry what happened to you.

You can Google "dash cameras" or go to one of following sites. May help you in the future.

http://www.zetronix.com/Car-Cameras/c59/index.html?osCsid=74303hdirjippr2a3jv7ais161

http://www.zetronix.com/Car-Cameras/c59/...9cb45uresri2gp3

#1383213 - 01/17/13 06:11 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: Chris.Mickelsen]
j3668py Offline

[quote=Chris.Mickelsen]This has happened to me twice, once by NYS Troopers and once by PYPD. I live in PY and drive to Gates every day, 120 miles round trip. Both times this happened it was due to a, so called, complaint from an undercover officer I was told. I was driving north on 14A and come up on a car doing 45mph in a 55mph zone just after Hall. I passed the car legally, broken line and never went over 55mph. Driving southbound was the Ontario County prison transport vehicle which flashed their light at me, even though I was back in the North bound lane 1/8 mile before we passed. The next morning there was a NYS trooper waiting for me at the Frontier building just north of hall. He saw me and pulled me over. I asked why and was told that he had received a complaint from an undercover officer that "I was driving dangerously, with the potential to cause an accident”. I denied it and ask why the “undercover” officer didn’t pull me over, I was told that “It’s not their responsibility”, which I argued that if I am dangerous, isn’t that their job. The office held me for 30 min and inspected every inch of my car and asked if my windows were tinted legally. I told the officer they better be as I had told the shop when I bought the car to make them legal. He put the meter on the window and wrote me a ticket for illegally tinted windows even though he would not allow me to see the value on the meter. Ticket cost me $250 and allot of aggravation. The PYPD time was officer AMO, many many years ago and is too long of a story to tell, but was the first time I watched an officer of the law lie, in court, under oath. [/quote There are good cops and bad cops, PYPD has a few dirty cops who lie all the time just to pull someone over hoping they will make a BIG BUST. These cops are scum who use their badge to harass and set up law abiding citizens, the PY police chief and the other officers on the force know which cops are dirty yet they take no corrective action against them. The Yates county sheriff's department recently force one of these bad cops to retire but then turned around and hire him back as a part time deputy.

Edited by j3668py (01/17/13 06:12 PM)

#1383217 - 01/17/13 06:26 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: northcat]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Originally Posted By: northcat
This is so true. I know of several people who have gone downtown to pick up their kids from the bars and find that they are stopped for not using their signal soon enough. Another friend was followed all the way home when they were going through downtown around 1am and one of pd picked up on them.

Bet most of these stops are on young women driving alone.
I'd get their badge number and report it to the Attorney Generals office and request that it be looked into ASAP

#1383225 - 01/17/13 08:12 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: I did it!]
j3668py Offline

Originally Posted By: I did it!
Originally Posted By: northcat

I'd get their badge number and report it to the Attorney Generals office and request that it be looked into ASAP
No they are illegally stopping anyone who they think might be violating the law, they are driving business out of town.

#1383440 - 01/18/13 11:58 PM Re: Illegal stops [Re: j3668py]
Honestly Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
[quote=Chris.Mickelsen]This has happened to me twice, once by NYS Troopers and once by PYPD. I live in PY and drive to Gates every day, 120 miles round trip. Both times this happened it was due to a, so called, complaint from an undercover officer I was told. I was driving north on 14A and come up on a car doing 45mph in a 55mph zone just after Hall. I passed the car legally, broken line and never went over 55mph. Driving southbound was the Ontario County prison transport vehicle which flashed their light at me, even though I was back in the North bound lane 1/8 mile before we passed. The next morning there was a NYS trooper waiting for me at the Frontier building just north of hall. He saw me and pulled me over. I asked why and was told that he had received a complaint from an undercover officer that "I was driving dangerously, with the potential to cause an accident”. I denied it and ask why the “undercover” officer didn’t pull me over, I was told that “It’s not their responsibility”, which I argued that if I am dangerous, isn’t that their job. The office held me for 30 min and inspected every inch of my car and asked if my windows were tinted legally. I told the officer they better be as I had told the shop when I bought the car to make them legal. He put the meter on the window and wrote me a ticket for illegally tinted windows even though he would not allow me to see the value on the meter. Ticket cost me $250 and allot of aggravation. The PYPD time was officer AMO, many many years ago and is too long of a story to tell, but was the first time I watched an officer of the law lie, in court, under oath. [/quote There are good cops and bad cops, PYPD has a few dirty cops who lie all the time just to pull someone over hoping they will make a BIG BUST. These cops are scum who use their badge to harass and set up law abiding citizens, the PY police chief and the other officers on the force know which cops are dirty yet they take no corrective action against them. The Yates county sheriff's department recently force one of these bad cops to retire but then turned around and hire him back as a part time deputy.
And round and round we go in Yates County! Hey, Cook are you reading these strings???

#1383447 - 01/19/13 02:58 AM Re: Illegal stops [Re: I did it!]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Originally Posted By: I did it!

Why would you assume that? Very curious? Anyone would assume it would be young men being targeted on "bar nights" at a certain time at night. Isn't that who you would suspect to be drunk at that time of night. Ask anyone with a night job getting off work or driving through the Village at around 11pm-2am,3am if they've ever been pulled over then.... ;\)

Also hispanics sitting in a car in a village parking is considered suspicious? Don't you remember the gem of a case a few years ago? PYPD approached a "suspicious vehicle" in a village lot, they ended up being drug dealers....and hispanic. hmmm lol Mean Gene, where you police chief then? What makes a vehicle suspicious? Or is it more of the look of the people inside it? lol

If young women are being pulled over it's only because they are bad drivers, yea I said it and we all know it's usually true. No need to give them an excuse or reason for them to call harassment.

One more question... If a police officer stops or searches a "suspicious vehicle" do they have to state in the police report or somewhere else what was suspicious about the vehicle or is "suspicious vehicle" a legal code for I want to search or stop it but have no other legal reason or saying would violate ones rights such as racial profiling?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >