FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1382439 - 01/13/13 10:35 PM Big Arrest for PY Police
S.P. King 4th Offline

Loc: PARTYING!
Two held in theft of catalytic converters
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/C...ytic-converters

Two people have been charged with stealing catalytic converters from a truck dealership in the Penn Yan area, and police also report they found stolen property at one suspect’s home.

Brian A. Holland, 27, of Hickox Ulysses Road in Genessee, Pa., and Cassie M. Green, 27, of Chaffee, N.Y., were charged with third-degree grand larceny.

The pair was stopped Jan. 7 after a Penn Yan police officer observed a suspicious vehicle at Friendly Motors on state Route 14A and notified the Yates County Sheriff’s Office.

After stopping the vehicle, officers found three catalytic converters that had been stolen from new Dodge trucks, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.

Following the arrests, police are looking for connections to dozens of other larcenies of catalytic converters in New York, Pennsylvania and as far away as Indiana.

Yates County investigators contacted Pennsylvania state police, who obtained a search warrant and found stolen property at Holland’s home, including oxygen sensors, other exhaust components and a stolen pickup truck, the news release said.

Holland and Green were arraigned in Milo Town Court and committed to the Yates County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash bail.

The investigation is continuing and more arrests are expected, police said.

FingerLakes1.com
#1382440 - 01/13/13 10:45 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: S.P. King 4th]
S.P. King 4th Offline

This may be the first time the good work of a PY police officer made the news as far away as Shreveport, LA.

So Mean Gene, run me through the process... They stop a suspicious vehicle in Friendly Dodge... Okay, I'll give them that (even though a lot of people like to window shop after hours) how does that lead to searching the vehicle? Does a vehicle in a car dealership after hours automatically give probable cause to search a vehicle? I guess the parts could have been in the open in the bed of the pick up truck or they could have been dumb criminals giving permission for their vehicle to be searched knowing what they had. But let's assume neither was the case...

#1382454 - 01/14/13 12:42 AM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: S.P. King 4th]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
You pretty much covered what probably happened. Without being there it would be difficult to say what exactly happened.
Finding a couple of people with a vehicle after hours would prompt a cursory inquiry as to what they were doing there. Anything in plain view that was suspicious could lead to further inquiry. You won't know exactly what transpired unless it goes to trial or someone gets a copy of an Information or deposition spelling it out.

The county will get the "stat" as far as the arrest as it is out in their jurisdiction. All that shared sales tax going to the village generated by Friendly motors sales makes sense now! :). NOT

#1382457 - 01/14/13 01:30 AM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Is that dealership in the Village limits? The way it sounds is PYPD saw the vehicle leaving the dealership going southbound out of 14A and called the Sheriffs Dept. to pull them over considering they were probably way out of the village limits by then.

I heard a rumor years ago that there is an agreement between the YCSD and PYPD where can pull over vehicles and respond to calls outside of the village A) the PYPD officer witnessed something that warranted the vehicle to be pulled over that occurred within the village limits (similar to this incident. or B) No one with the YCSD is available to respond? Is there any truth to this? If so would you clarify?

#1382471 - 01/14/13 08:53 AM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: S.P. King 4th]
retmac Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
Kudos to the PYPD for this one. They often get abuse in these postings.

#1382495 - 01/14/13 11:28 AM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: S.P. King 4th]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: S.P. King 4th
Is that dealership in the Village limits? The way it sounds is PYPD saw the vehicle leaving the dealership going southbound out of 14A and called the Sheriffs Dept. to pull them over considering they were probably way out of the village limits by then.

I heard a rumor years ago that there is an agreement between the YCSD and PYPD where can pull over vehicles and respond to calls outside of the village A) the PYPD officer witnessed something that warranted the vehicle to be pulled over that occurred within the village limits (similar to this incident. or B) No one with the YCSD is available to respond? Is there any truth to this? If so would you clarify?

The dealership is not in the Village limits. There is no "agreement" between the PYPD & YCSO on who stops who where.
The County has jurisdiction in all of the county. In theory, the village pd handles what happens in the village unless they request assistance from the county. The county can request assistance from the village out in the county, which they have in the past. The village pd would not be covered liability wise if they act out in the county without a request from the county.

If something happens in the Village the PD can pursue that "happening" they witness as far as they need to go to end the situation and charge an offending party. (with what happened in the Village.) (Hot pursuit doctrine)

Otherwise, the justification for leaving the village by the PD car would be to "blow it out", that is step on the gas and get trucking for a bit after driving around slowly most of the time. \:\)

#1383724 - 01/21/13 05:37 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: S.P. King 4th]
Dr. Robert Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, New York
From what I've heard the PY officer saw the vehicle at Friendly Dodge at 3 a.m. That would give new meaning to the term after-hours window shopping.

#1384056 - 01/22/13 08:04 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Dr. Robert]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr. Robert
From what I've heard the PY officer saw the vehicle at Friendly Dodge at 3 a.m. That would give new meaning to the term after-hours window shopping.

Why? It's still after hours? What brings new meaning to it? Because you are not awake at that time? Maybe they are insomniacs? On the other end of the spectrum someone could have a 4am job they were on the way to. Would it not be shady if it was at 11pm? Because some people don't keep conventional hours doesn't mean they are anymore shady or up to no good as those who keep "normal" hours.

People commit crimes during bankers hours too.

Just food for thought. \:\)

#1384057 - 01/22/13 08:06 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: S.P. King 4th]
S.P. King 4th Offline

I've seen car dealers that don't want people in the lot block the entrance with cars... I'm sure this would be more than enough to keep vehicles out of Friendly Chrysler considering the set up...

#1384088 - 01/22/13 09:53 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: S.P. King 4th]
dj205 Offline

Loc: in my mind
Originally Posted By: S.P. King 4th
I've seen car dealers that don't want people in the lot block the entrance with cars... I'm sure this would be more than enough to keep vehicles out of Friendly Chrysler considering the set up...

It's Ok, King, proceed with your window shopping, alot of us work weird hours, but, you have to admit, That was a good job done by our local police.

#1384112 - 01/22/13 11:31 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: dj205]
Peter Moss Offline

Loc: Great Bend, PA
Probably one of those illegal stops.

#1384434 - 01/24/13 05:31 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Peter Moss]
j3668py Offline

Loc: new york
Originally Posted By: Peter Moss
Probably one of those illegal stops.
I'm sure you are right it was a illegal stop if the officer just saw them leaving a open parking lot and didn't observe any criminal activity, I was told but having confirmed it yet that the village cop had pull his cruiser between some cars in the lot and was taking a nap and was awoken a loud muffler when the pair pulled out of the lot. If the pair are lucky enough to get get the public defender Ed Brockman to defend them I'm sure they will be set free.

Edited by j3668py (01/24/13 05:35 PM)

#1384720 - 01/26/13 06:48 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

It would not be an "illegal stop" if a patrol car saw a vehicle leaving a car lot at 3AM. That would be a level of suspicious activity that would give them probable cause to stop the vehicle and make an inquiry as to their business in the dealership that was closed. (especially since there had been a previous reported larceny from vehicles in the same lot)

#1384754 - 01/26/13 10:07 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Mean Gene]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Loc: inside looking out
I would like to think that all businesses are check at various times through the night, and absolutely if there was a car stuck outside a place where a number of thefts were reported, the police would be negligent if they did not check them. I say good work to the officer that initiated the stop, and good work to the deputies and investigators that closed the caper.

#1384758 - 01/26/13 10:52 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Mean Gene]
j3668py Offline

Loc: new york
Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
It would not be an "illegal stop" if a patrol car saw a vehicle leaving a car lot at 3AM. That would be a level of suspicious activity that would give them probable cause to stop the vehicle and make an inquiry as to their business in the dealership that was closed. (especially since there had been a previous reported larceny from vehicles in the same lot)
3am or 6am or reported larceny's doesn't give probable cause, people look at cars at all times of the day and night now if there signs saying keep out that would be different.

#1384768 - 01/27/13 12:20 AM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: j3668py
3am or 6am or reported larceny's doesn't give probable cause, people look at cars at all times of the day and night now if there signs saying keep out that would be different.

Sorry "J", I have a pretty good idea what constitutes probable cause, A car stop under the above scenerio would stand up to what ever court it was argued in, all the way up to the supreme court. The above scenerio stop would not have to be based on observing a traffic infraction as a basis for stopping a vehicle.

#1384942 - 01/27/13 11:03 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Mean Gene]
pylaker Offline

Loc: yates
Mean Gene not to get off this subject,but i need your input.Had a telemarketer called this afternoon.He called on behalf of the state troopers(against drunk drivers)when ask for which state troopers (meaning for him to state which state it was for)He stated for your state.and i said which state would that be.He changed the subject and ask if i was going to donate and not play games with him.I hung up.My question is do the troopers ask for donations over the phone like that ?

#1384947 - 01/27/13 11:16 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: pylaker]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Originally Posted By: pylaker
Mean Gene not to get off this subject,but i need your input.Had a telemarketer called this afternoon.He called on behalf of the state troopers(against drunk drivers)when ask for which state troopers (meaning for him to state which state it was for)He stated for your state.and i said which state would that be.He changed the subject and ask if i was going to donate and not play games with him.I hung up.My question is do the troopers ask for donations over the phone like that ?

No they don't. I have called them about it twice. Get the number they are calling from.

#1384959 - 01/28/13 01:41 AM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Samuel]
Mean Gene Offline

Samuel is right, the state police do not solicit for themselves. There could be some "fundraisers" seeking donations for a State Police PBA. They often mislead people, making some think they are actually a member or may be raising funds for another State PBA and call people in NY.

Many years ago the Penn Yan PBA used a fundraiser. We had to do a two year contract and they guaranteed us "X" amount of dollars or 20% of their gross, whatever was greater. The first year we had no complaints. The second year we had a bunch of complaints. We ended it and never did it again. (I knew they had to be lying with their "pitch" when we received a $500 check from Dunkin Donuts in Auburn back in the 80's) I ended up getting a warrant and arrested the guy in charge of the second year for Grand Larceny.

You may also receive a call from someone fundraising for the State Deputies association or the State Sheriff's association. That money all goes to the state organizations. I suspect the State Sheriff's Association would use the spiel that the money helps support the Sheriff's camp on East Bluff Drive. Some of it probably does. (A small percentage, the fundraisers take a big chunk) You are better off writing a check to your local deputies association or PBA if you want to donate. That way one hundred percent of the money stays local. \:\)

Edited by Mean Gene (01/28/13 01:42 AM)

#1385108 - 01/28/13 08:03 PM Re: Big Arrest for PY Police [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 4th Offline

The first year we had no complaints. The second year we had a bunch of complaints. We ended it and never did it again. (I knew they had to be lying with their "pitch" when we received a $500 check from Dunkin Donuts in Auburn back in the 80's) I ended up getting a warrant and arrested the guy in charge of the second year for Grand Larceny.

Whoa whoa whoa, wait. What? I for one would like to hear this story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >