FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1382222 - 01/13/13 04:37 AM it's time to make an example
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms

out of these fools and not the guns. It seems more and more of these crimes are no more than a copy cat issue. Start making examples out of these people and see the crime slow down or even stop. It's not the weapons it's the people getting ideas when they hear see or read about others doing these crimes that in the end some one gets a slap on the hand. Bull what about the Army Major that's still aive why? There were many eye whitness ti his crime so with out any quesyionable doubt he did it no questions asked. So again why is he breathing?
JMHO the punishment doesn't fit the crime. As where you take a life,well then you should have yours taken;period.

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/...o_students_fled

FingerLakes1.com
#1382355 - 01/13/13 04:25 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: I did it!]
Sasquatch Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Sounds like a nightmare of an investigation. There's a lot more story there than can be researched and put into a news column. It sounds like he was pushed to his breaking point and wasn't in his right frame of mind. Killing seemed like a reasonable answer and once someone is there, it's safe to say reality is going to skew quite a bit.
As far as a life for a life that's a touchy subject. To me, the person hasn't paid for their crime if you kill them. Not really. A punishment should be something you have to live with afterwards. To be killed in the process defeats the whole idea. It certainly doesn't act as a deterrent. Once you've skewed reality so far as life has no value and killing a person is no more serious than swatting a mosquito, you aren't in a place where you'll consider the local laws for murder. Because it's not murder to you anymore. It's solving a problem and problem solving isn't a crime. It doesn't become murder to you until after it's done. Then reality straightens out and you can identify what you have done and that it was wrong. The problem is you can't go back.
Now premeditated murder that was planned and carried out with intent to kill may be deterred by the threat of being executed if you get caught. But then no one ever plans on being caught. So if you're going to get away with it, how can you be punished? If people planned on being caught, there wouldn't be any crime at all.

#1382367 - 01/13/13 06:14 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: Sasquatch]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Very good reasoning.

I also believe that the death penalty punishes the wrong people. It punishes those who are left behind, who loved the killer regardless of their crimes; it punishes the parents and other family members.

#1382368 - 01/13/13 06:16 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: I did it!]
Fart in the Wind Offline

Loc: beneath the Utica Shale
"I am pissed, lets go lynch somebody"

#1382375 - 01/13/13 06:36 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: Fart in the Wind]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Cayuga bioregion
Originally Posted By: Fart in the Wind

#1382384 - 01/13/13 07:07 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: twocats]
I did it! Offline

Originally Posted By: twocats
Very good reasoning.

I also believe that the death penalty punishes the wrong people. It punishes those who are left behind, who loved the killer regardless of their crimes; it punishes the parents and other family members.

What about the other side of the issues?

#1382389 - 01/13/13 07:14 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: I did it!]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: I did it!
Very good reasoning.

I AM speaking from the other side of the issue.

Edited by twocats (01/13/13 07:14 PM)

#1382395 - 01/13/13 07:22 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: twocats]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Cayuga bioregion
Very good reasoning.

I AM speaking from the other side of the issue.

Oh boy...

#1382403 - 01/13/13 07:48 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: Fart in the Wind]

Originally Posted By: Fart in the Wind

Yeah, it doesn't matter who, just as long as someone swings.

#1382405 - 01/13/13 07:54 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: twocats]

[quote=twocats]Very good reasoning.

That's why I've always believed in torture.

#1382415 - 01/13/13 08:26 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: ]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Chicago Jesus

As evidenced by your torrential outpouring of chaotic logic and guttural retorts.

#1382429 - 01/13/13 09:35 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: Timbo]

Originally Posted By: Timbo
Originally Posted By: Chicago Jesus

As evidenced by your torrential outpouring of chaotic logic and guttural retorts.

Boy did you ever tell me off! Ahahahahahahahahaha

#1382575 - 01/14/13 06:06 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: ]
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
New details are emerging on gun control legislation that lawmakers say could be passed as early as today.

Senate Co-Leader Jeff Klein predicts that New York State could have the toughest in the nation gun control laws before Tuesday that includes closing loopholes in the assault weapons ban and strengthened penalties for illegal guns.

“When all is said and done, we’re going to pass a comprehensive gun bill today,” Klein said.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver says he expects Governor Cuomo to waive the three day waiting period for the bills so the legislation could be voted on as soon as the deal is sealed.

“The message out there is so clear after Newtown,” Silver said. “It is an emergency.”

Speaker Silver says the agreement will also expand the state’s involuntary mental health treatment statute known as Kendra’s Law.

#1382603 - 01/14/13 08:03 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: Cinnamon]
I did it! Offline

Well I like this and hope they start at the top? Politicans go first. "the agreement will also expand the state’s involuntary mental health treatment statute. Every politician should be drug tested before sworn into office then at least once a year later
as they do to the private sectors of US workers.

#1382689 - 01/15/13 08:26 AM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: Cinnamon]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Originally Posted By: Cinnamon
New details are emerging on gun control legislation that lawmakers say could be passed as early as today.

Senate Co-Leader Jeff Klein predicts that New York State could have the toughest in the nation gun control laws before Tuesday that includes closing loopholes in the assault weapons ban and strengthened penalties for illegal guns.

“When all is said and done, we’re going to pass a comprehensive gun bill today,” Klein said.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver says he expects Governor Cuomo to waive the three day waiting period for the bills so the legislation could be voted on as soon as the deal is sealed.

“The message out there is so clear after Newtown,” Silver said. “It is an emergency.”

Speaker Silver says the agreement will also expand the state’s involuntary mental health treatment statute known as Kendra’s Law.

i see they put a control on those pesky pistol grips.....now thats comprehensive!

#1382701 - 01/15/13 11:07 AM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: SportsRef1]
RobinVanPersie Offline

Loc: the pitch at the Emirates

"We haven't saved any lives tonight, except one: the political life of a governor who wants to be president," said Ball who represents part of the Hudson Valley. "We have taken an entire category of firearms that are currently legal that are in the homes of law-abiding, tax paying citizens. ... We are now turning those law-abiding citizens into criminals." - NYS Senator Greg Ball.

Edited by RobinVanPersie (01/15/13 11:08 AM)

#1382706 - 01/15/13 11:25 AM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: RobinVanPersie]
RobinVanPersie Offline

Loc: the pitch at the Emirates
Ill bet NY wont be the safest place in the country, after we have the toughest gun laws

#1382723 - 01/15/13 03:02 PM Re: it's time to make an example [Re: RobinVanPersie]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: RobinVanPersie
Ill bet NY wont be the safest place in the country, after we have the toughest gun laws

We haven't seen the federal mandates yet.