FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1382181 - 01/12/13 10:30 PM Can't start up after closing lid to laptop
Aces_Up Offline

Loc: Seneca Fall's, NY
I had my other laptop on and I closed the lid for a moment then opened it back up but the screen stayed black, sleep or hibernation mode. I even tried pressing the start button to shut it down and it would not even do that so I could start it up again. This happened before and I forgot how I finally got it all right again. Any clue or trick to get it back up?

FingerLakes1.com
#1382183 - 01/12/13 10:40 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
Aces_Up Offline

Well, at the 6th time of trying to shut it down by way of how I start it up, it finally shut down. I know there are settings to make it do certain things when I closed the lid but, oh, I dunno..lol

#1391027 - 03/09/13 05:04 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Ever take it to a shop and have it cleaned? Removal of dust dirt etc. I just clean God's and mine the other day the dust was anreal you think my garage was in Kansas. Dirt,dust are killers
on computers making it run hotter than they should.

#1391040 - 03/09/13 09:55 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Aces is it a windows 7 or vista machine?

If so click start then type in power options in the text box at the bottom. You can adjust completely what hsppens in that menu including what happens when the lid closes.

#1391047 - 03/09/13 10:38 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: DR. D]
Aces_Up Offline

Originally Posted By: DR. D
Aces is it a windows 7 or vista machine?

If so click start then type in power options in the text box at the bottom. You can adjust completely what hsppens in that menu including what happens when the lid closes.

I'm sorry, I should have posted that I did that. I set it to do "nothing" when I closed the lid.

#1391049 - 03/09/13 10:40 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
Aces_Up Offline

My other older laptop has never been cleaned so I think I will take it to be cleaned. Who to I don't know yet. I did watch a video on doing it yourself but......

#1391071 - 03/09/13 04:27 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
I did it! Offline

Take it to Stables in Geneva for a good cleaning.
I do ours every 2/3 months and can't believe the dust that collects in them.The heating season is worse. We have forced air heating system. After a good cleaning they run quieter,and cooler
it's agood habit to get into.

#1391080 - 03/09/13 05:58 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: I did it!]
Aces_Up Offline

How much do they charge? Do they let you go in the back with them when they do it? I just don't like the idea of leaving my laptop with someone I do not know.

#1391094 - 03/09/13 08:41 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
I did it! Offline

Originally Posted By: Aces_Up
How much do they charge? Do they let you go in the back with them when they do it? I just don't like the idea of leaving my laptop with someone I do not know.

I do not think they'll let you watch.I never had a problem with them working on my equipment. That's you decision. doesn't anyone you know ever cleaned one before

#1391096 - 03/09/13 08:52 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: I did it!]
Aces_Up Offline

No, don't know anyone. A long time ago I took my desktop into Staples to have them put in a new graphic card. That went well.

#1391098 - 03/09/13 09:07 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: I did it!]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: I did it!
Ever take it to a shop and have it cleaned? Removal of dust dirt etc. I just clean God's and mine the other day the dust was anreal you think my garage was in Kansas. Dirt,dust are killers
on computers making it run hotter than they should.

I would imagine that cigarette smoke isn't good for them either (don't know if you smoke or not). They are hell on main frame computers. When I was a main frame operator in the '80s, there was absolutely no smoking in the computer room with every company I worked for, even though you could smoke in the rest of the building. My guess is that cigarette smokie isn't good for PCs either.

#1391100 - 03/09/13 09:14 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: I did it!]
I did it! Offline

Are you paranoid they find your legs? "pictures"
Trust me I'm The Dr. They don't time to go searching through you files. They don't need to get into the files,PASSWORD protect it. They only need to open the nuit to blow nice soft air
through it and if it's never been cleaned ever then just might need a very soft brush to remove the filth that has collected over the yrs. JMHO maybe it's something else.

#1391102 - 03/09/13 09:16 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Josephus]
Aces_Up Offline

Yea, smoke is no good. I was just watching a bunch of videos on You Tube about cleaning the insides. I have a older laptop that I never use but leave it out for the grand kids. I think for the experience, I will clean the fans at least. It has never been cleaned in years. The laptop I use now, I will take to Staples.

#1391108 - 03/09/13 09:27 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: I did it!]
Aces_Up Offline

Are you paranoid they find your legs? "pictures

You devil you. :-) you remembered.

#1391124 - 03/10/13 01:34 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
I did it! Offline

Are you paranoid they find your legs? "pictures

You devil you. :-) you remembered.

How in the Lords name could any man forget those legs?
Do you remember us sitting side by side taeching me the basics of starting a computer up? Just thinking about that day my legs are beginning to shake all over.
xoxoxoxox
Dr. Ben

#1391131 - 03/10/13 09:42 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: I did it!]
Aces_Up Offline

I sure do. And you took first place in the mens leg contest. Va va va voom...

#1391184 - 03/10/13 08:35 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
I did it! Offline

I sure do. And you took first place in the mens leg contest. Va va va voom...

Aah! I forgot that. Yes I did take first place.
You know maybe the switch it self is bad is going bad? Interesting thought?
So does his only happen when you completely close the top down?

#1391851 - 03/14/13 11:11 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: I did it!]
Sallie Offline

Loc: NY
I clean my desk top 3 times a year. Smoke and dog hair and being to close to the kitchen clog the fans. Unplug and take battery out of laptops. All you need is a small screw driver with the right head, q-tips, canned air. I also take my jewelry off so I don't catch anything inside. A hair dryer can be used on cold setting but use it gently, over spinning the fan can break them. This is a dirty job so I put down a towel where I will be doing the cleaning. Youtube has videos on how to clean computers. I think it is a waste to pay a store to clean when it is not hard to do at all. If your fan is not working it will make the laptop shut down. Sometimes it is just a loose connection. Replacement fans are not expensive, it's the labor if you pay someone that costs. Some laptops are a PIA to tear down so there is your cost. Hope this helps.

#1391860 - 03/14/13 11:29 AM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Sallie]
Aces_Up Offline

I did take all the screws out and could not get the back off

#1391892 - 03/14/13 12:52 PM Re: Can't start up after closing lid to laptop [Re: Aces_Up]
Sallie Offline

Loc: NY
ok some models are a pia. Try canned air with the straw that comes with the can thru a vent to the fan. Look up the model and make online for schematics on how to tear it down. You tube has many brands they do videos on tearing laptops down also. I had an Acer and an HP that were a pia but once I watched a video on how it was easy.
Also if the screen went black sometimes it is the battery not locked in even when you think it is. Or the battery is going bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >