FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1381032 - 01/05/13 04:57 PM Wish they'd ban these animals
SilverRose Offline

Loc: Heart of the Lakes
Another FAMILY Pit bull attacked children in the home.

http://www.fingerlakesdailynews.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=16&id=60366#.UOieZI7kPFI

I don't understand why people keep these animals. It's insane. Everyone thinks THEIR dog won't do this...

Tell that to the people that have been hurt by these 'lovable' dogs.

I know this post won't make me popular, but nothing I say does!

FingerLakes1.com
#1381037 - 01/05/13 05:06 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: SilverRose]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: SilverRose
Another FAMILY Pit bull attacked children in the home.

http://www.fingerlakesdailynews.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=16&id=60366#.UOieZI7kPFI

I don't understand why people keep these animals. It's insane. Everyone thinks THEIR dog won't do this...

Tell that to the people that have been hurt by these 'lovable' dogs.

I know this post won't make me popular, but nothing I say does!

I agree 100%

It's absolutely impossible to train aggression out of them. It's genetically imprinted into there behavior and unless you breed them into a new species breed, it's there to stay. Period. Judge Judy (among others) is a rabid opponent of ownership of pit bulls and their ilk.

enter sands: with some cut-and-paste about the left proposing a ban on the right to keep and bare fangs.

#1381043 - 01/05/13 05:40 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Timbo]
sands Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Timbo
It's absolutely impossible to train aggression out of them. It's genetically imprinted into there behavior and unless you breed them into a new species,

enter sands: with some cut-and-paste about the left proposing a ban on the right to keep and bare fangs.

Nope. But I will point out your misuse of "species". No need to, "breed them to a new species", just a different breed. Breeds are different varieties of domestic animals of the same species. For example, Golden Retrievers and Pit Bulls (American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and any crosses between the three) are different breeds, but the same species - dogs.

#1381047 - 01/05/13 05:47 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: sands]

Originally Posted By: sands
It's absolutely impossible to train aggression out of them. It's genetically imprinted into there behavior and unless you breed them into a new species,

Nope. But I will point out your misuse of "species". No need to, "breed them to a new species", just a different breed. Breeds are different varieties of domestic animals of the same species. For example, Golden Retrievers and Pit Bulls (American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and any crosses between the three) are different breeds, but the same species - dogs.
\:D

#1381057 - 01/05/13 06:20 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: ]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Damn Sands U thee man. I think jimBO BYRNT HIS BRAINS OUT STAYING IN THE SHOWER TO LONG WHILE ON SHIP. TJMHO

#1381061 - 01/05/13 06:47 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: I did it!]

Originally Posted By: I did it!
Damn Sands U thee man. I think jimBO BYRNT HIS BRAINS OUT STAYING IN THE SHOWER TO LONG WHILE ON SHIP. TJMHO

Maybe Rimbo, spent to much time in the rope locker.

#1381063 - 01/05/13 07:14 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: sands]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: sands

Right-o Of course.

#1381065 - 01/05/13 07:19 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: I did it!]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: I did it!

One apparent difference between you and me... I'll admit to my mistakes, you?... I haven't seen you attempt it yet.

That's one of the big reasons I ride you turd balls so hard. You almost NEVER admit it when you're wrong. I think sands might have, twice or thrice, But most of the rest of you?... nah-ah.

#1381483 - 01/08/13 12:52 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Timbo]
Sketch Offline

Loc: NYS
You do realize that it's the owner, not the breed. Kind of like a Steyg AUR.

#1381493 - 01/08/13 02:22 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Sketch]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: Sketch
You do realize that it's the owner, not the breed. Kind of like a Steyg AUR.

Then, I assume that they will be 'putting-down' the owner.

#1381800 - 01/10/13 10:40 AM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Timbo]
cndga_1 Offline

Loc: USA
...there lies, the true travesty. The dog will be euthanized, when the owner is to blame. BSL(Breed Specific Legislastion)is like banning certain "species" of the human race because they might be purple, pink, black or white.

#1381826 - 01/10/13 01:53 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: cndga_1]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: cndga_1
...there lies, the true travesty. The dog will be euthanized, when the owner is to blame. BSL(Breed Specific Legislastion)is like banning certain "species" of the human race because they might be purple, pink, black or white.

Facts alone indicate otherwise. Did the owner maul the infant? You're using ridiculous comparisons, that share absolutely nothing in common.

#1381835 - 01/10/13 03:05 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Timbo]
Dizzyt Offline

Any dog can be aggressive. It's not just Pitbulls. I've known many Pits that were the nicest, most gentle of all dogs that would come into our Veterinary Clinic. Never once did I even have one growl at me. Now, bring in a Poodle, Shit-zu or Cocker Spaniel, talk about nasty demeanors. Sorry but it is the way the animal is raised, or lack of care and training. Not all Pitbulls are out to kill or hurt!!! Try working with animals once in awhile, volunteer at a shelter, and maybe then you'd learn exactly what I mean when I say this!!!

Isaac Asimov

#1381837 - 01/10/13 03:21 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Dizzyt]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: Dizzyt
Any dog can be aggressive. It's not just Pitbulls. I've known many Pits that were the nicest, most gentle of all dogs that would come into our Veterinary Clinic. Never once did I even have one growl at me. Now, bring in a Poodle, Shit-zu or Cocker Spaniel, talk about nasty demeanors. Sorry but it is the way the animal is raised, or lack of care and training. Not all Pitbulls are out to kill or hurt!!! Try working with animals once in awhile, volunteer at a shelter, and maybe then you'd learn exactly what I mean when I say this!!!

#1381838 - 01/10/13 03:32 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Dizzyt]
Timbo Offline

Regardless of your anecdotal experiences, scientific facts prove otherwise. Pitbulls (and to a slightly lesser degree Rotties) commit a HUGELY higher percentage of serious injuries and fatalities in every quantifiable category.

Those animals were intensely bred as war killing machines. Genetics are what they are, and cannot be 'trained out'. They can be conditioned to be less so, but only slightly.

If you can show me a miniature poodle with the ability to crush an adult human skull, then perhaps it may be time to consider introducing poodle control legislation. Based on your apparently limited knowledge of science and verifiable statistics showing a highly disproportionate number of deadly maulings, I'd say that YOU'RE the one, that's full of Sh!t-su.

#1381839 - 01/10/13 03:41 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: cwjga]
Timbo Offline

Here's one cute little pit bull statistic:

Pit Bulls are responsible for a full third of all dog attacks in the US, yet account for only 2% of all dogs.

England AND the UK have completely outlawed Pit Bulls (except in the case of a court order). The Brits are some of the dog-lovinist folks in the world.

#1381911 - 01/11/13 06:44 AM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Timbo]
SilverRose Offline

Loc: Heart of the Lakes
I blame the owner, too. He/she shouldn't risk their children's safety and lives by having these dogs in their homes.

Should the dog be euthanized? Absolutely, because some other person will think, "this dog is a pussy-cat; it won't hurt me or my children; it wasn't trained right." or some other nonsense.

If a dog attacks a child once, there's no reason to believe it won't do it again...or a neighbor's child, or a neighbor walking by, or the postman...

It's shown itself to be an out of control, dangerous animal.

#1381967 - 01/11/13 02:07 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: SilverRose]
TammyDMil Offline

Loc: New York
Bad Dog Owners/Parents

It was a Golden Retriever (one of the gentlest breeds there are, most of the time) that killed an infant.

From the blog:

When is the media going to start taking the responsibility they owe the public seriously? In April 2012, a golden retriever owned by the McGrew family of Ridgeville, South Carolina, mauled and dismembered their infant son, killing him, while his father slept in another room. Earlier this week, another of the McGrew children was attacked by the family’s dog, and the media’s response to this incident? The media reports that the family has suffered “another violent mishap.” Another mishap?

Mishap, by definition, means an unfortunate accident. This was not a mishap or an accident, this is negligence and ignorance. In fact, the autopsy performed in April on the McGrew’s infant son determined that “parental neglect” led to his death. Mr. McGrew was charged with illegal conduct toward a child, and is currently awaiting trial on that charge.

#1381968 - 01/11/13 02:15 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: TammyDMil]
Timbo Offline

Accident or not, a dead child, is a dead child.

#1381972 - 01/11/13 02:49 PM Re: Wish they'd ban these animals [Re: Timbo]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth

Regardless of your anecdotal experiences, scientific facts prove otherwise. Pitbulls (and to a slightly lesser degree Rotties) commit a HUGELY higher percentage of serious injuries and fatalities in every quantifiable category.

Those animals were intensely bred as war killing machines. Genetics are what they are, and cannot be 'trained out'. They can be conditioned to be less so, but only slightly.

You'll have to pry my Rottweiler out of my cold, dead hands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >