Wayne County now has its own, fast-growing genealogical society

The group held its first meeting in October at the Newark-Arcadia Historical Society’s museum on High Street in the village of Newark. Just two months later they’ve already got 36 members, a website and affiliations with larger genealogical groups in the works.

“I am very pleased to see such good turnouts at the meetings, with people attending from all over Wayne County,” said Chris Davis, executive director of the Newark-Arcadia Historical Society. “We even had someone from Victor attend the first official meeting last month.”

Added Davis, “I cannot see a problem with attendance. Genealogy is, from what I hear, the fast-growing hobby in the country. People want to find out about their roots.”

The public is welcome to check out their meetings, which tentatively will be held at 7 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of each month at the Newark-Arcadia Historical Society. Anyone who joins must pay a membership fee and will be welcome at the meetings, which will feature programs aimed at helping family researchers.

By Jessica Youngman, staff writer
Messenger Post
Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 10:44 AM