FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1379590 - 12/27/12 04:18 PM E-Reader decisions
beachcomber Offline

Loc: nearby
I've been researching this for a long time and I still can't make up my mind.

First I had to decide if I wanted an e-reader or a tablet. I decided to go with e-reader because i actually DO want to use it to read, download library books etc.

Then I had to decide between the Nook and the Kindle. I've decided I like the Kindle.

I was thinking the Kindle Fire, but then they came out with the new HD version, so i've been reading about that. Can anyone compare these two? Is it worth the extra $40? I'm not a big movie watcher but will watch shorter videos occasionally. Also, I recently read reviews online that the new HD version comes with advertising that can't be deleted. (Although apparently some of it can be moved/relocated (?) for a $15 fee?

What do you guys have and are you happy with it? Thanks.

FingerLakes1.com
#1379602 - 12/27/12 06:15 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: beachcomber]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I can download library books with my tablet, but I've heard the readers are better on reducing glare, and I like reading in the sun.

To me, there's still nothing like holding a book in my hands. Good luck!

SUPPORT SOME OF OUR TROOPS

#1379630 - 12/27/12 10:31 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: twocats]
Sasquatch Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I love my Kindle Fire. I will say however, if you plan on reading outside, like a nice sunny day for example, you will see a lot of glare. As I understand it, the Kindle Fire HD reduces glare quite a bit. They do sell anti glare covers for the Kindle Fire but I've never used them and cannot comment. I'm not upgrading to an HD. Considering I use it mostly for reading and, to me, it isn't worth the money. Though I do read a lot outside. I light a cigar, sit outside, and relax with my Kindle Fire. Probably one of my favorite things to do.

#1379644 - 12/28/12 01:07 AM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: Sasquatch]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
They do sell anti glare covers

I had one on a cheap Chinese tablet. The tablet quit, but the screen cover was great. Although, if the screen isn't bright enough, as is the case with mine, they don't really make it much better. There was no glare, but I still couldn't see the image very well, except in heavy shade, which defeated my aim of reading while catching Vitamin D rays (UVB).

My feeling is that the material is all pretty much the same; I'd go generic, if you can find the right size; it'd be tough to do a good enough job when trimming to size.

How about a stand, so you can get the right angle to make a screen hood effective? But perhaps you prefer to look more down on it in your lap, and wouldn't like it on a table.

Or, on a table, you could get rednecky and put it into a properly sized cardboard box, to shade it while you stay in the sun. That way, you wouldn't use a cover, which all cut screen clarity a little (that's why all screens aren't made matte to begin with), and they're not really removable, for indoors.

If you get a clean install, leave well enough alone; even the slightest speck of dust will make a bubble. Make very sure the screen is spotless and dustless before install, start from one side, make sure it is straight, after the 1st 1/4" is down, and use a credit card to squeegee it down from there. Look for bubbles, and peel up a little and fix any you see. So, a righty might hold the card in the right, and put the right edge down 1st. Think about it, and do what's comfortable for you.

I got lucky on my 1st try, but Amazon reviews were full of people who'd bought 2-3, after failing, or even given up after the 3rd. Awareness helps; I love those reviews.

Now, how does a computer work? Well, the little electrons all join hands and skip merrily through the circuits. After that, elephino.

#1379706 - 12/28/12 04:10 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: beachcomber]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY
If reading eBooks is your soul purpose than an E-Reader may be the better choice but choose carefully. One thing to consider is future support for whatever make or model you may choose.

E-Reader sales are beginning to plummet and that is never good for consumers.

If sales continue on this trend, you may find yourself regretting dropping your hard earned money on a product that MAY soon become obsolete. In which case, an Android or Apple tablet may be a better choice. Just trying to help not persuade.

Here are a couple articles that may help in making an informed decision.

http://www.complex.com/tech/2012/12/e-reader-sales-expected-to-plummet-in-2013
http://readwrite.com/2012/05/09/kindle-sales-plummet-and-that-sucks

Good Luck

#1386989 - 02/12/13 11:32 AM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: beachcomber]
Altruism Offline

Loc: Mother Earth
Save your money:

Kindle Online

No device needed.

#1387029 - 02/12/13 01:29 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: Altruism]
SilverFox Offline

There is also a free Kindle app for computers that can be downloaded and used on a PC or Laptop that works just like an e-reader. But the e-reader is a lot more portable.I tried a tablet from QVC and sent it back could not see well enough to use it.

Personally, I want the paperwhite just strictly for reading because I want to use it outdoors this summer. Hoping the price will come down or find one on sale.

I went to Staples and looked at the different Kindles on display. It really helped to be able to see and compare the models. For my eyes the paperwhite was the best one.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the link below there is a comparison chart for all of the Kindles and the features of each model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCC...&pf_rd_i=507846

Don't blame me. I voted for Romney.

#1387035 - 02/12/13 01:43 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: beachcomber]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
I got an Acer c7 chromebook ($199 bestbuy) a couple of months ago; 12.8" screen. Last summer I'd bought a 9.7' tablet, which quit (don't buy anything from lightinthebox.com). I barked until I got a refund, even though it was off warrantee. LOL...I told them I was going to get onto the net once a week for the rest of my life and expose the company, and suggested to those Chinese that God has a special place in Hell for those who don't meet minimum standards of customer care and human decency. I like the notebook better; I'd ended up getting a keyboard for the tablet.

I got into Amazon Prime partly for the free movies, which I watch on the Chromebook, or, with a 3' MDMI cord (cheap...cablesforless.com), on the TV (it's small enough to fit on the TV table). I also like Prime (been in it 3 wks; LOVE it) because if I just need one thing from Amazon, such as a $3 roll of copper wire, or a bag of cat food, I can get it without shipping. Just received some natural laundry detergent today.

HD movies are not free, but are there to buy or rent; I may use that occasionally for certain movies, but the regular meets my price point.

I'm buying a book every couple of weeks, too, and have used the 2 wk lending feature to lend a book to a friend.

I got the Acer instead of the equally new Samsung Chromebook ($250) because, unlike the Samsung, this one has a hard drive, so I am not restricted to using the Cloud, only. I could also go into "developer" (equivalent to "root", in Linux), and install a different OS, which I don't think I will do, and I can use external memory, if I ever want to. And, with a HD, you can work offline.

Like the Samsung, this comes with 2 yrs free Cloud service ($5/month after), but I haven't initiated it (good for 2 yrs after whenever you initiate), and may never; the 320 gig HD is twice what I had on my old desktop. The option is nice, though, for doing things like storing lots of photos, if I choose to, and don't want to use external storage.

Samsung processor has no moving parts or fan, and is dead silent, but this one's very quiet, too, at least compared to Kitty's laptop, which is itself much quieter than my old desktop.

Acer is 3.5 lbs; the Samsung is 3 lbs.

One advantage of a fanless design is that there is no air circ to block when placed on a bedspread, etc, but that can be finessed with any small machine, easily, if one stays aware; just put something flat under the machine, like cardboard, or a thin book.

So, for my purposes, the notebook does fine, and I was less than impressed with the touchscreen concept of the tablet; more of a pita than I'd guessed, after the novelty wore off. Kitty has a Nook, but seldom uses it; she moves her laptop around, instead.

The Samsung has 6 hr bat life; the Acer 3.5, which is adequate for me...to take to my 1.5 hr ESL class, FI, or for most back yard reading. If I were taking long flights, I'd just get a spare; they're pretty small and light, for batteries, and possibly are cheaper than bigger ones.

Those are my thoughts, but some just like tablets and readers, I know.

#1387160 - 02/13/13 01:49 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: beachcomber]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY

#1387446 - 02/15/13 02:17 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: Timbo]
SilverFox Offline

I found this Staples link to their eReader Research Center. Good information about the differences in ereaders and tablets to help decide what will best meet your needs.

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing...ochester.rr.com

#1387545 - 02/16/13 02:43 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: SilverFox]
Sallie Offline

Loc: NY
I have had the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD. I read a lot. For me the HD is the best, faster, longer battery, charges faster. I love the big font you can use then I don't have to find my glasses. The Fires are better because you can also have color not just black and white books. I have been a life long library user and haven't set foot in a library since I got the Kindles. I was card number 99 a the Waterloo library when they used to use handwritten cards for check out.It is also nice that if someone wants to get you a gift they can go to Amazon and send you a book or a gift card to use on Amazon. I had a Samsung tablet but I preferred the Kindles. I was gifted a year of Amazon Prime and that is terrific.

#1387651 - 02/17/13 06:11 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: Sallie]
SilverRose Offline

Loc: Heart of the Lakes
Thinking about getting a Kindle Fire for the smaller size. I have Amazon Prime and love watching some of the PBS shows...currently working through the Poirot series. Have you ever watched any movies/shows on the FIre?

#1387669 - 02/17/13 10:41 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: SilverRose]
Sallie Offline

I have watched Amazon Prime movies, Netflix and Youtube on the Kindles. I also keep many crochet patterns on my Kindles. You can do email, I use gmail. I just really like the Kindle line and they are great for in bed, which this winter when ever its cold like tonight, there is me with the Kindle. \:\)

#1389663 - 03/01/13 06:00 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: Sallie]
SilverFox Offline

I am a very happy camper. I received a brand new Kindle Paperwhite as a gift this morning. Totally unexpected. Totally surprised. Totally pleased.

#1389715 - 03/02/13 03:55 AM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: SilverFox]
Sallie Offline

How wonderful! Enjoy!

#1389761 - 03/02/13 03:45 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: Sallie]
SilverFox Offline

So far so good. It is registered, hooked to wifi, signed up for trial of "Amazon Prime". Now to find some books. I can download the Prime movies to my computer with the Kindle apt for PC to get color viewing. Couldn't have received a nicer gift. Happy dance, happy dance.

#1389779 - 03/02/13 07:54 PM Re: E-Reader decisions [Re: SilverFox]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Wonderful! Just don't wear yourself out with the Happy Dances! \:\)