FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1375352 - 12/01/12 11:57 PM Why Do We Bus Students?
Lee Alias Offline

Loc: NY,Seneca, Seneca Falls
Back in the '50s & '60's the only kids bused to school, lived in the rural/country areas...today we bus students no matter the distances to/from school, why??? Today's kids get less exercise from walking;; my walk to high school was about a 1.5miles (1 way. Elementary school 1/8" mile & 1/2 for Jr. high (Middle school) . Transportation cost keep rising.....is it a safety reason?? Seneca Falls/Waterloo and some other small areas it is not a racial issue...so why?? What do you think??

FingerLakes1.com
#1375380 - 12/02/12 09:16 AM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Lee Alias]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
The law says kids have to go to school and as a result the school has become involved in making sure they get there. The better the schools can get all kids enrolled to schools the more state aid they get. Attendance in school and the numbers of who is attending each day (and for even part of the day) is used to calculate the actual aid number. More busing means better attendance percentages ergo more state aid.
However transportation costs represent a huge cost. Although mostly subsidized by another state aid program to purchase buses let us not forget who pays for that program - our taxes.

Some school districts contract out the entire operation to private bus companies. We here in Seneca County do not do that. In the end the school district would save some money by contracting out but: 1) we don't have any bus companies nearby that have the resources to start that up (except, perhaps through some federal or state subsidy). 2)Laying off the dozens of people involved in transportation at the school destroys their livelihood. The impact on the local community and economy would be devastating.

Maybe the state laws could be changed. Right now every school must have enough bus capacity to carry all students. This means perhaps we really need fewer and smaller more fuel efficient buses as many kids don't ride the bus. Some obviously don't have to and others who could avoid the bus because of the unpleasant experience engendered there. Point is something might be better than what we have. Good luck on changing the law though, bus manufacturers, transportation workers, advocacy groups, etc. will block that path.

Edited by Here's Johnny (12/02/12 09:21 AM)

#1375395 - 12/02/12 12:48 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Lee Alias Offline

Interesting.....another case I believe the State should not be involved, like you said probably will not change.

#1375396 - 12/02/12 12:55 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Here's Johnny]
myopinion2share Offline

Loc: Romans 8:38
Just a quick look at the school websites:

http://www.sfcs.k12.ny.us/departments.cfm?subpage=79620

http://www.waterloocsd.org/departments.cfm?subpage=29340

I wasn't able to find the walking limits for South Seneca, nor for Romulus, but since they are very rural populated districts, most of the students probably require busing.

Obviously in SF and Waterloo, the distances have not changed since you were in school.

#1375398 - 12/02/12 12:57 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Lee Alias]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Where I grew up (MA), my town had a rule that said if a student lived over two miles away they got a bus ride. Any closer and you walked. Also, if there were no side walks between where you lived and the school, you got a bus ride.

Looks like its way beyond that now... here and probably in my home town in MA.

#1375405 - 12/02/12 02:09 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Josephus]
Right of Passage Offline

More kids should walk to school. Especially in small communities. But I've seen a lot of people on here over the years complaining about the quality of individuals (registered sex offenders) in those same communities. With the "flooding" of sex offenders in our society I'd say that's reason enough to scare most away from the idea of limiting walking limits and why they basically grant everyone the opportunity to get bused in.

#1375406 - 12/02/12 02:10 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Right of Passage]
Right of Passage Offline

That's not to say it couldn't work. It just leaves a lot of room for error, and a lot of room for kids safety being put at risk.

Society has changed a ton over the years, and for the worst by a long shot.

#1375410 - 12/02/12 02:22 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Right of Passage]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

In our district, all Kindergarteners are eligible for busing, even if they live across the street from the school. I've seen children picked up on William Street to be bussed tonWest Street.
I believe all other students must live over one mile from school to get a bus.

#1375411 - 12/02/12 02:24 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Right of Passage]
Lee Alias Offline

Great comments PS - I did not grow-up in SF. I agree with the Safety issue with the changing population I would not allow my kids (who are now grown) to walk to school or my grand kids. We either walk them or drive them to & from. Watching some of the bus drivers & kids standing up while the bus is moving: it's not worth the chance someone geting hurt, on the bus and of course there the "Bulling". Thanks for the input.

#1375412 - 12/02/12 02:28 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Lee Alias]
thebigfish69 Offline

Loc: seneca
The kids would sue the parents today for abuse if they HAD to walk to school. LOL

#1375414 - 12/02/12 02:34 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: thebigfish69]
Right of Passage Offline

LA, good point though. Personally, never rode a bus going to or from school unless it was on a field trip. Parents should be making a better effort to get there kids, to and from school themselves if they can.

#1375427 - 12/02/12 04:04 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Right of Passage]
Spanky Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY Seneca
Heck, back when,we walked 3 miles uphill both ways to school and back. Summer-winter and in between,

#1375433 - 12/02/12 04:37 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Spanky]
heymom Offline

Loc: Waterloo
You and Bill Cosby must have walked to school together.

#1375439 - 12/02/12 05:16 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Right of Passage]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Right of Passage
More kids should walk to school. Especially in small communities. But I've seen a lot of people on here over the years complaining about the quality of individuals (registered sex offenders) in those same communities. With the "flooding" of sex offenders in our society I'd say that's reason enough to scare most away from the idea of limiting walking limits and why they basically grant everyone the opportunity to get bused in.

This is such a naive statement I am still in awe. I guess they just started manufacturing "sex offenders". Back in "the day" there must have been less. You know before aids, same sex marriages, babies out of wedlock, life long and generation passing of welfare abuses, faking of disability claims, etc

#1375462 - 12/02/12 07:14 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Here's Johnny Offline

Less incidences were reported. The laws are more strict now as well so more scrutiny and enforcement. Hard to comprehend that kids would have any trouble walking home from school.

I remember walking to the old First Ward School and then home again as a Kindergartener. I can't believe it now myself but it is a fact. All the way up State St. past Bracht Field and then up Cayuga St. Never had an issue.

#1375494 - 12/02/12 08:28 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Here's Johnny]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

I agree with Dr. Sarc. Pedophiles have always been here, and so has incest. Just because it wasn't reported didn't mean it wasn't happening. I think we hear about it now for two reasons.

1. We as a society are encouraged to speak out about and against it now, and

2. We live in a global media today, which wasn't true 50 years ago. All the nasty stuff you see splashed across your TV screen and monitor today on a daily basis was taking place decades ago in equal amounts. You just didn't hear about it as much.

#1375543 - 12/03/12 01:33 AM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Right of Passage Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr. Sarcassm Esq
Originally Posted By: Right of Passage

This is such a naive statement I am still in awe. I guess they just started manufacturing "sex offenders". Back in "the day" there must have been less. You know before aids, same sex marriages, babies out of wedlock, life long and generation passing of welfare abuses, faking of disability claims, etc

My remark was geared towards what people will typically say if you tell them their kids are going to be REQUIRED to walk, or get a ride into school if they live within a mile or 2 radius of the school.

Not my personal or naive belief. Just what I think people would say if you put it up to them like that, if how people think or speak on here is any reflection of what they really think of these "communities."

#1375544 - 12/03/12 02:08 AM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: myopinion2share]
MoodyCat Offline

Loc: South of 336
Originally Posted By: myopinion2share

I wasn't able to find the walking limits for South Seneca, nor for Romulus, but since they are very rural populated districts, most of the students probably require busing.

For South Seneca It's 1 mile for the middle & high schools and 1/2 mile for the elementary.

For parents concerned about bullying on the bus, have you seen/heard the bullying the kids go through who walk. It's NOT pretty!

The other concern with walking, esp in South Seneca, with middle being 6-8 is that some of the kids have to cross major highways. The school zone speed limit only encompasses a 1500 ft stretch of 414/Main St in front of the high/middle school. There are no cross walks or stop signs outside of the village, and they have NO sidewalks or shoulders to walk on while having to walk along these major routes (ie 96, 96a, 414 and Gilbert Rd [CO travel route] outside the village of Ovid.) For a 10 & 11 y/o child this is VERY dangerous especially with the number of people who don't obey the speed limits in these areas.

#1375575 - 12/03/12 12:12 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Josephus]
Sketch Offline

Originally Posted By: Josephus
I agree with Dr. Sarc. Pedophiles have always been here, and so has incest. Just because it wasn't reported didn't mean it wasn't happening. I think we hear about it now for two reasons.

2. We live in a global media today, which wasn't true 50 years ago. All the nasty stuff you see splashed across your TV screen and monitor today on a daily basis was taking place decades ago in equal amounts. You just didn't hear about it as much.

I agree 100%. There's no credible reason to beleive that there are more pervs running around now than, say, in the 70's. We simply know about all of them, and our society now operates in fear. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of abductions and ne'er do-well behaviors towards the little ones are committed by someone close to the family.

We live holed up in our homes, afraid the Franky down the street is going to snatch up our children.

Keep in mind that many s*x offenders are not of the serious, stalker type.

#1375576 - 12/03/12 12:14 PM Re: Why Do We Bus Students? [Re: Josephus]
Sketch Offline

Originally Posted By: Josephus

I agree 100%. There's no credible reason to beleive that there are more pervs running around now than, say, in the 70's. We simply know about all of them, and our society now operates in fear. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of abductions and ne'er do-well behaviors towards the little ones are committed by someone close to the family.

We live holed up in our homes, afraid the Franky down the street is going to snatch up our children.

Keep in mind that many s*x offenders are not of the serious, stalker type.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >