FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1375108 - 11/29/12 03:00 PM Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show
FingerLakesNY Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
What do you think - is this show for real? It's labeled as Reality TV on imdb.com.

Penn Yan Man to Play Role in Discovery’s “Amish Mafia”: http://inthefingerlakes.com/explore/penn-yan-man-to-play-role-in-discoverys-amish-mafia/

FingerLakes1.com
#1375113 - 11/29/12 05:07 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: FingerLakesNY]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
I saw the trailer on TV last week. yes, it appears it is another in the long line of "Reality" TV. I watched "Breaking Amish" on the Discovery channel recently and like most reality TV shows there is alot of embelishment and half truths in it!!

#1375254 - 11/30/12 08:11 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: Mean Gene]
lakecountryguy Offline

Loc: fingerlakes
First of all, Amish do not allow themselves to be photographed. Therefore the show has to be a hoax. Secondly Mennonites are NOT Amish. That's like calling a Catholic a Jew. They are far from the same.

#1375261 - 11/30/12 09:23 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: lakecountryguy]
Marge Offline

Loc: new york
Originally Posted By: lakecountryguy
First of all, Amish do not allow themselves to be photographed. Therefore the show has to be a hoax. Secondly Mennonites are NOT Amish. That's like calling a Catholic a Jew. They are far from the same.

Thank you! Most of the Amish around here live on the east side of Seneca Lake and parts of Cayuga Lake

#1375263 - 11/30/12 10:53 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: Marge]
Peter Moss Offline

Loc: Great Bend, PA
Rule #1: reality TV is not reality.

#1375301 - 12/01/12 03:06 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: lakecountryguy]
IMHO Offline

Loc: yates county, ny

Actually, The Mennonites can be Amish, and all Amish are Mennonites.

I found this out after I ran across a blog where someone said that Mennonites don't drive horse and buggies, only the Amish do. I knew better, but did some research. I found that Mennonites are a very diversified group which includes Old Order Amish, New Order Amish, Kaufman Amish Mennonites, Amish Mennonites, Conservative Mennonite Conference, Biblical Mennonite Alliance and others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonite

Also from Wikipedia: The Amish sometimes referred to as Amish Mennonites, are a group of traditionalist Christian church fellowships that form a subgroup of the Mennonite churches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

Also, I don't believe that all Mennonites / Amish hold to the ban on being photographed.

Edited by IMHO (12/01/12 03:21 PM)

#1375305 - 12/01/12 03:38 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: IMHO]
IMHO Offline

My previous post being said, undoubtedly there is much exaggeration, enhancement, hype and even hoax in Discovery's "Amish Mafia" show. Gotta get those ratings, you know!

#1375318 - 12/01/12 07:14 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: IMHO]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
I have heard of a game the Mennonite kids play cause called Mennonite Mafia. Am also aware some Mennonites who drive vehicles are involved with a private investigator group. Am very much aware that one local Mennonite, who drives, stalked his tenants and a few other people.

#1375326 - 12/01/12 07:59 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: nomi]
Peter Moss Offline

Loc: Great Bend, PA
Rule #2: Never believe crazy cat lady.

#1375379 - 12/02/12 08:33 AM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: IMHO]
lakecountryguy Offline

Loc: fingerlakes
Originally Posted By: IMHO

Actually, The Mennonites can be Amish, and all Amish are Mennonites.

I found this out after I ran across a blog where someone said that Mennonites don't drive horse and buggies, only the Amish do. I knew better, but did some research. I found that Mennonites are a very diversified group which includes Old Order Amish, New Order Amish, Kaufman Amish Mennonites, Amish Mennonites, Conservative Mennonite Conference, Biblical Mennonite Alliance and others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonite

Also from Wikipedia: The Amish sometimes referred to as Amish Mennonites, are a group of traditionalist Christian church fellowships that form a subgroup of the Mennonite churches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

Also, I don't believe that all Mennonites / Amish hold to the ban on being photographed.

OMG, Please don't believe what you read in wikipedia. ANYONE can write or change what anyone else writes on there. Amish and Mennonites ARE NOT the same. There are many differences. My family has done business with both for many years. Long before they started to settle in this area in mass. I have even lived with them for a period. Mennonites can be photographed, Amish Can not.

#1375383 - 12/02/12 09:51 AM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: Peter Moss]
nomi Offline

Would you like to see the pictures and surveillance videos? I am one of the people he stalked.

Edited by nomi (12/02/12 09:53 AM)

#1375394 - 12/02/12 12:41 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: nomi]
Honestly Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
Originally Posted By: nomi
Would you like to see the pictures and surveillance videos? I am one of the people he stalked.

Yup

#1375418 - 12/02/12 02:53 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: Honestly]
nomi Offline

p.m. me your name and phone number and We'll set up a meeting !

#1376041 - 12/05/12 04:34 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: lakecountryguy]
IMHO Offline

OMG, Please don't believe what you read in wikipedia. ANYONE can write or change what anyone else writes on there. Amish and Mennonites ARE NOT the same. There are many differences. My family has done business with both for many years. Long before they started to settle in this area in mass. I have even lived with them for a period. Mennonites can be photographed, Amish Can not.

I did a lot of research from several sources, not just Wikipedia. A Google search links to thousands of sources that state that the Amish are Mennonites. The wide variance within both groups makes your statement "There are many differences" too general. In most cases, the Amish are much more strict than most other Mennonites, but the Amish and the "Old Order Mennonites" are very similar. Both old order and modern Mennonites have settled in the Penn Yan area.

Also, I know about Wikipedia! I have written Wikipedia articles and have expanded or edited others. Articles are quickly reviewed, and if there are not supporting citations, warnings are placed within the article. Usually misinformation does not remain long before it is challenged or changed. Clicking "View history" at the top of an article can be interesting!

#1376160 - 12/06/12 12:41 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: IMHO]
py.eternal.cynic Offline

Loc: inside looking out
Their community is a closed one but they pay their taxes, don't suck on the welfair/DSS nipple and take care of their own. There are people in our community that do far more damage then what the do to the roads.

#1379392 - 12/26/12 02:26 AM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: py.eternal.cynic]
Bow Wow Offline

Loc: Dirt Pile
The article calls us "Penn Yanners". Penn Yanners? I always thought we are "Penn Yanians".

#1379417 - 12/26/12 02:25 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: Bow Wow]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Loc: PARTYING!
Originally Posted By: Bow Wow
The article calls us "Penn Yanners". Penn Yanners? I always thought we are "Penn Yanians".

Typical Genevaites to call us Penn Yanners! Your King calls for an immediate retraction!

Anyway I caught one episode of this 'Amish Mafia" last week, and it's as fake and as big of a piece of crap as any of these other reality shows.

I thought it was just a name but they are trying to plug it as (Amish) mafia leading their community. The leader driving around in his Cadillac, him and his goons paying a visit to a non Amish guy dressed in Amish clothes selling pies. They drive up to him, the screen goes blank and says the show "was not allowed to film the events, but the guy is no longer selling pies in Lancaster County, PA. Then they show a Amish guy who got locked up, the boss and another guy stake out the court house and see a Amish guy, but wait it gets juicy, they can tell he's from Ohio from the shape of his hat!

It turns out the Amish guy from Ohio is a real bad ass, even been to prison! Everyone says he's there for no good, then on the previews for the next show show the bad guy show up in the community in Lancaster... ...He says he's there to take over and that the original leader "mafia" guy is evil!

It's complete garbage...
...but I can't wait to see how Penn Yan fits in! Maybe good 'ole penn yan is an amish gangsters paradise!

#1379429 - 12/26/12 03:52 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: S.P. King 4th]
pylaker Offline

Loc: yates
Yesterday a friend who is now living close to where this so called show is being filmed.Told me its basically hogwash as he put it.He should know he is a former Mennonite.Levi is a former Amish but now lives English and does work construction and does drive.As for the Cadillac and Mercedes goes the show supplies them.My friend just said the show is stage from cars to weapons.The weapons we see on TV there is a expert shooter supervising at all times.As most of us have guessed the show is rigged.And yes Joline is from this area.

#1379446 - 12/26/12 04:33 PM Re: Penn Yan will appear on "Amish Mafia" show [Re: pylaker]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
I have been watching it, it does have entertainment value, especially for those who have never been around Mennonite's or Amish. As in all reality shows the lines of reality are blurred with fiction to spice up the show. I was surpirsed to see they are advertising it as the "number one cable show" on TV. \:\)