FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1374456 - 11/24/12 03:09 PM Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son
drgnfly02 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
http://senecadaily.com/?p=21708#axzz2D5NgGcQk

A joint investigation conducted by the Seneca County Sheriff’s Office, New York State Police, Violent Crime Investigation Team, Seneca County District Attorney’s Office and the New York State Department of Financial Services, Insurance Frauds Bureau resulted in the arrest of Karl H. Karlsen, age 52, 885Yale Farm Road, Romulus, New York on the charge of Murder in the Second Degree.

It is alleged that on November 20, 2008, Karl H. Karlsen intentionally caused the death of his son, Levi, age 23, at 885 Yale Farm Road, Romulus, New York.

Seneca County Sheriff Jack Stenberg reported that on November 20, 2008, at 4:00 p.m., Seneca County Sheriff’s Deputies and South Seneca Ambulance personnel responded to a 911 ambulance call from Cindy Karlsen, the wife of Karl Karlsen reporting that her stepson was trapped underneath a vehicle he had been working on in an adjacent barn.

Arriving Sheriff’s Deputies were met by a distraught Karl Karlsen who reported that Levi was working underneath a jacked vehicle when he and his wife left to attend a family event at around noon on November 20, 2008. Karlsen reported that when they returned home at about 4:00 p.m., he went to the barn to check on Levi and found the vehicle had fallen off the jack and Levi was lying motionless pinned underneath the vehicle. Levi Karlsen was transported to Geneva General Hospital by South Seneca Ambulance and pronounced dead on arrival. “There were no indications of foul play and from all signs this appeared to be a very tragic accident,” said Sheriff Stenberg.

In March 2012, Sheriff’s Investigators developed new information that indicated Levi’s death may not have been accidental. According to Sheriff Stenberg, it was determined that a substantial life insurance policy was taken out on Levi days before his death naming Karl Karlsen as the sole beneficiary. Also, circumstances surrounding the accident surfaced suggesting that the actions of Karl Karlsen resulted in the truck falling and pinning Levi underneath.

Karl then left the residence to attend a family event, returning four hours later. He then went into the barn, pretended to discover the accident, and told his wife, prompting a 911 call. “To think that a father could cause a vehicle to fall off a jack crushing his son and then leave for four hours knowing all the time that his son was pinned under the truck apparently dead is unconscionable. Then, to put on an act for arriving first responders was part of a well-planned event staged by Karl Karlsen” Stenberg said.

The Sheriff’s Office teamed up with New York State Police Violent Crime Investigation Team and initiated an eight-month investigation that resulted in the arrest Friday night of Karl Karlsen on a charge of Murder in the Second Degree.

Additionally, Sheriff’s Investigators, State Police and Insurance Fraud Investigators are also looking into a 1991 fire in California which claimed the life of Karlsen’s first wife, Christena.

“We will be talking with Investigators in California in the coming days as there are certain events surrounding the death of Karlsen’s first wife that cause us concern,” said the Sheriff.

Stenberg credited the excellent team work and cooperation of his Deputies, Troopers and Investigators working on the case. “This has been difficult on all the investigators working this case and I am proud of the professionalism they displayed in being Levi’s voice,” said Sheriff Stenberg.

Karlsen was arraigned before Town Justice Brian Laird in the Town of Seneca Falls Court and committed to the Seneca County Jail without bail.

The investigation into these incidents is continuing.

Read more:at SenecaDaily.com http://senecadaily.com/?p=21708#ixzz2DAU4Q3xD
SDN

FingerLakes1.com
#1374460 - 11/24/12 03:30 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: drgnfly02]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Now that might just explain how he was able to remodle/the old home that he bought on that road .Strange never know when the human mind will snap. Against blood "a Son" this man is real sick. Then maybe a wife clearly something isn't right.
Wonder of LB wrote the policies out of the Romulus Office.
Just so sad.

My condolances go out to the family.
If this is proven correct without a doubt that's why the charge is only 2nd degree and not first. Then yes the death penilty should take place if there's on in NY/California??

#1374470 - 11/24/12 04:47 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: drgnfly02]
Dr Dick Offline

Loc: USA
If that is true then I hope you rot in hell..................after they put a bullet between your eyes. Levi, your in a good place bro. My prayers to you.

Edited by FL1 Mod 2 (11/24/12 06:46 PM)

#1374471 - 11/24/12 05:24 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: I did it!]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
In NYS, 1st degree murder is killing a police officer, a corrections officer while in jail, a witness, or other 'special circumstances.'

See here: http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0125.27_125.27.html

#1374476 - 11/24/12 06:31 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: twocats]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
So sad.....Levi was a good kid. Karl should be ashamed of himself. Know the family......I guess you really never know someone.

#1374485 - 11/24/12 08:20 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: Yetta Nother]
a mom Offline

Loc: not far enough away
Grew up next to him, would never have thought. So sad someone would be so cold.

#1374490 - 11/24/12 08:52 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: a mom]
Southern Seneca Offline

Loc: NY
This is so disgusting! I think shooting, stabbing, etc. is cold hearted. Somehow this seems more callous. Scary that he almost got away with such a horrible crime.

#1374500 - 11/24/12 09:43 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: Southern Seneca]
Tabbytails Offline

Loc: Here Abouts.
If this is true, it is one of the most terrible things I have heard in a long time. So sad!!

#1374507 - 11/24/12 10:21 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: twocats
In NYS, 1st degree murder is killing a police officer, a corrections officer while in jail, a witness, or other 'special circumstances.'

And the other special circumstances described in art. 4, 5, 6, and 7 don't require the killing of a LE worker. You don't say that they do, but I still wanted to clarify that point.

And it's a good thing; murder should be just that, and the penalties should be equal for the same crime, no matter whether the victim is a cop, CO, gay, or of a different color than the perp.

People are different, and happen to hold different jobs, but the murder of one should count for no more, and no less, than the murder of another

#1374515 - 11/24/12 11:27 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: VM Smith]
all seeing eye Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
VM,

Didn't the distinction go back to when we had capital punishment? And the public was more comfortable executing people for murder of a police officer?

I agree with you, but think there is a history here.

#1374521 - 11/25/12 12:05 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: all seeing eye]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
I really don't know how the distinction evolved, but I'm sure it's an interesting history, about which you may well be right.

#1374525 - 11/25/12 01:01 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
What "If" when dad returned he checked on his son to see if the job was complete. If he was still live would he have said to him self enough is enough and then try and revive him?
If is a big question?

#1374534 - 11/25/12 05:45 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: VM Smith]
Graybeard Offline

Loc: South County
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Originally Posted By: twocats

And the other special circumstances described in art. 4, 5, 6, and 7 don't require the killing of a LE worker. You don't say that they do, but I still wanted to clarify that point.

And it's a good thing; murder should be just that, and the penalties should be equal for the same crime, no matter whether the victim is a cop, CO, gay, or of a different color than the perp.

People are different, and happen to hold different jobs, but the murder of one should count for no more, and no less, than the murder of another

I believe the law was expanded to include Paramedics, EMT's and Fireman in the preformance of there duties'.....What about Bucky Phillip's, he killed a police officer, has he had his trial yet?

#1374537 - 11/25/12 08:55 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: Graybeard]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
Horrible and tragic. What takes over in the mind of a father to kill a son, for mere money?

#1374542 - 11/25/12 09:35 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: drgnfly02]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did anyone catch that this "father" Karl is now being investigated in the 1991 death of his first wife in a fire in California??
We watch "Investigation Discovery" and it's shocking what people do to each other-this will end up on that show!!

#1374544 - 11/25/12 09:38 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: ]
Hard Corps Offline

Loc: The Village
WOW! I can't fathom why anyone would do this to their own kids.

#1374548 - 11/25/12 10:01 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: Hard Corps]
kyle585 Offline

Loc: Somewhere out there
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/an_accident_turns_to_murder_in.html

In 2008, Karl Karlsen told police that he tried to save his 23-year-old son when the pickup truck the young man was repairing slipped off its jack and crushed him.

On Friday, Karlsen was charged with second-degree murder, accused of causing the death of Levi Karlsen and disguising it as an accident to collect insurance money.

The arrest, announced Saturday, is the payoff on a break developed in March of this year by the Seneca County Sheriff’s Department. Karlsen, 52, of 885 Yale Farm Road, Varick, is being held without bail in the Seneca County Jail.

This is the first murder case in Seneca County in more than a decade, District Attorney Barry Porsch said.

Authorities also said Saturday they plan to re-examine the 1991 fire that killed Karlsen’s first wife, Christina. Back then, Karlsen told authorities that he rescued his three children – including 5-year-old Levi – from the New Year’s Day blaze in California but could not save his wife.

Sheriff’s deputies said Levi Karlsen’s death seemed like an accident until March, when authorities found new information — a big life insurance policy in his name taken out days before his death. The policy named his father, Karl, as his sole beneficiary, not Levi Karlsen’s two young daughters, authorities said.

Seneca County Sheriff Jack Stenberg said Karl Karlsen caused the truck to fall on his son, then then left the house to attend a family event.

When he returned four hours later, he went back into the garage, pretended to discover the accident and told his wife to call 911, the sheriff said.

“To think that a father could cause a vehicle to fall off a jack crushing his son and then leave for four hours, knowing all the time that his son was pinned under the truck apparently dead, is unconscionable,” Stenberg said in a statement. “Then, to put on an act for arriving first responders was part of a well-planned event staged by Karl Karlsen.”

Levi Karlsen’s grandfather, Art Alexander of Murphys, Calif., said he always had suspicions about Karl Karlsen’s involvement in the fire that killed his daughter and the accident that later killed his grandson.

On the day of the fire – Jan. 1, 1991 – Alexander got a call from a friend with a police scanner who had heard about the fire.

When he arrived at the home, it was engulfed in flames. Karl Karlsen told investigators he had been in the garage when the fire started, Alexander said. The blaze blew out the windows; Karlsen told authorities that he pulled his son and two daughters out through a bedroom window but could not save his wife. He ran to a neighbor’s home to call in the fire.

Alexander said his suspicions about the fire grew over the years.

One investigator told him that the children would have been covered in soot if they had been in the house at the time of the fire, he said. But when Alexander arrived on scene, the children were in the ambulance, unharmed and clean.

Another friend showed him multiple “flash points” where the fire had started; there should have been only one, he said.

After the fire, Karl Karlsen used $200,000 in insurance money to buy his family’s farm in the Seneca County town of Varick, between Seneca and Cayuga lakes, Alexander said.

“As soon as the funeral was over, they were out of here,” Alexander said Saturday. “Instantly.”

Alexander said he never confronted Karl Karlsen about his daughter’s death. He wanted to keep his connection to his grandchildren.

“I couldn’t tell him what I thought,” he said. “It would alienate me from my grandkids.”

Alexander recalled one visit to Upstate New York, when Karlsen drove him to a convenience store.

The two men drove into town in silence, Alexander said.

“Just to keep it bottled up — it was the hardest thing I ever did in my life,” he said.

Alexander said investigators from New York contacted him several years ago after a barn fire on Karl Karlsen’s farm in Varick.

“If a guy has one fire, it’s not too unusual,” Alexander said. “To have two, it would raise some red flags.”

Alexander recalled two other unusual fires – the first one involving a car that Karlsen was “late making payments on,” the second at Levi Karlsen’s house.

Edited by kyle585 (11/25/12 10:06 AM)

#1374553 - 11/25/12 11:34 AM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: drgnfly02]
KAP Offline

Loc: waterloo, new york 13165
WOW!!!! I am speachless. I absolutely can not believe this is happening. This family is very well known and very well liked in this community. My prayers are with you all!

#1374561 - 11/25/12 12:53 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: KAP]
romulus1 Offline

Does anyone remember the fire that killed his expensive horse? I think he got money for that also.

#1374568 - 11/25/12 02:26 PM Re: Romulus Man Charged with Murdering Son [Re: KAP]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
Originally Posted By: KAP
WOW!!!! I am speachless. I absolutely can not believe this is happening. This family is very well known and very well liked in this community. My prayers are with you all!

Ditto here. We can only hope they're all terrible coincidences. Innocent until proven guilty, but the (public) evidence is pretty damning.

It's very depressing; he, and his younger brother and sister were friends of mine. I'm so sad for all of them.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >