FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1374452 - 11/24/12 01:38 PM Right on Red @ State Street
Honest Abe Offline

Loc: washington
Am I the only one that thinks the NO right on red at the intersection of State Street and Fall is stupid. I don't see where the traffic warrants this. I have been at that stop light numerous times and have had to sit there while no traffic on Fall street. According to Town Officials the DOT won't just take the sign down, although they just put it up. The suppervisor I spoke with stated that DOT said that they didn't know how it got posted as there was no record of it being put through the traffic study.However it will have to go through the traffic process to remove.If it was posted improperly ( meaning not documented by DOT ) then is it really legally a violation to that can be enforced?

FingerLakes1.com
#1374454 - 11/24/12 01:54 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Honest Abe]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
In what direction does the sign face?

That section of 5&20 gets 13,713 vehicles per day, on average.

#1374455 - 11/24/12 02:07 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: VM Smith]
Aces_Up Offline

Loc: Seneca Fall's, NY
Faces State street under or over the light.

#1374457 - 11/24/12 02:16 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Aces_Up]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

They're probably concerned about clueless drivers (that's about half of them) turning onto busy 5&20 and causing an accident.

I'm thinking this might be a response to MN's aunt (may she RIP) being killed near that location. Maybe they don't want westbound vehicles being so distracted by having to watch so intently for vehicles darting out into traffic from State that they might ignore other things.

#1374458 - 11/24/12 02:23 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
just as stupid as road markings entering the bridge from the south side .They took away the staright thru lane now you must cyt right then go pass the markings to get into left turn lanes.

#1374462 - 11/24/12 02:48 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Coming into the old village on 5&20 from the west, that 4 lane needs a "right lane ends" sign, to inform the clueless drivers that they aren't allowed to just move over to the left, thus forcing drivers who are in the proper (left) lane into oncoming traffic.

I can't count the number of times I was driving in that left lane, next to some idiot who thought that the proper merging procedure was "random, depending on how the coin toss goes".

Of course, since I was driving a 15 yr old, 4,000 lb Crown Vic, I mostly just ignored them, and let them figure it out at the last second.

Considering that this is a state where most people voted for either Obama or Romney, it is very apparent that the NYSDOT really has an almost impossible job.

#1374463 - 11/24/12 02:56 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Rumble stips here and there,what in hell's name is this all about? Wait till ice/snow comes then what will these cuts be?
Half way back from the VA the other day out of no where I hit one of these sections to pass a slower moving vehicle and God almighty I thought my front end was coming off. No stirps b-4 none after just a short spirt on 96 coming out of Phelps not even sure where.
OBTW I can't drive 55 @ 65/70 the car runs great with better gas milage.

#1374478 - 11/24/12 06:16 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: I did it!]
myopinion2share Offline

Loc: Romans 8:38
I thought the sign might have been an addition with the increased traffic on State while Cayuga was being worked on. Turning on a signal that you are going right can be very misleading to those behind you, as you can either go right onto Fall (West) or that funky right, Water Street. Perhaps in the interest of safety and trying to diffuse road rage for those going to Water St as opposed to Fall, no turns on red was the best solution.

#1374481 - 11/24/12 06:41 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Honest Abe]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Yes, I also thought that no turn on red sign was unwarrented. You can very clearly see down Fall Street to the east to see whether or not traffic is coming. I doubt this has anything to do with Nozollio's aunt. She was struck on Fall Street by a truck on Fall street... nothing to do with traffic coming off of State.

#1374491 - 11/24/12 07:56 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Honest Abe]
Honest Abe Offline

Loc: washington
I was told that the sinage was requested by one of the town councilman without any discussion of the full board because of the increase traffic during construction. This was probably a good idea, however it should have been on a temporally basis. With the construction done it is unwarranted. Like I said was it legal to post if DOT didn't know why it was.

#1374492 - 11/24/12 08:07 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Honest Abe]
I did it! Offline

Like I said was it legal to post if DOT didn't know why it was.

I do believe they need the ok from DOT. Was told that's why "Slow Children playing" signs were taken down. Or did I misunderstand it when I did ask why?

#1374546 - 11/25/12 08:44 AM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: I did it!]
Hard Corps Offline

Loc: The Village
I can't believe something so trivial is even a topic for discussion.

#1374563 - 11/25/12 12:09 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Hard Corps]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
It doesn't bother me to wait for the green light. And Josephus with cars parked right up to corner by Cosentino's you cannot see down Fall Street unless you are pulled out quite a ways into the roadway. I've come close to being hit numerous times from cars going west on Fall Street and I got the green light on State Street.

#1374566 - 11/25/12 12:36 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Honest Abe]
sox fan Offline

Loc: ny, usa
What should be a concern is where Gravel Rd, and Cayuga St. intersect. 2 cars barely fit side by side. I foresee head on collisions, it's too narrow.

#1374639 - 11/25/12 08:59 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: sassyone]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: sassyone
It doesn't bother me to wait for the green light. And Josephus with cars parked right up to corner by Cosentino's you cannot see down Fall Street unless you are pulled out quite a ways into the roadway. I've come close to being hit numerous times from cars going west on Fall Street and I got the green light on State Street.

I don't agree, sassyone. I turn right at that corner several times a week, and I can see enough of a distance down Fall Street to make a safe turn. Especially since the first parking spot at the corner of Fall and State Street is a good 10 feet from the corner, which I believe is the regulated distance.

#1374646 - 11/25/12 10:18 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Honest Abe]
wallflower Offline

Loc: SF, NY
I heard the same thing you did Honest Abe.

I've lived here my entire life and never had a problem in any direction at that intersection. It is definitely unwarranted now that construction is over.

Did I not also see a "No Right on Red" sign on Fall street driving east at that same intersection??? Even more ridiculous! Who in their right mind would ever try doing what is essentially a U-Turn from Fall St onto Water St on a red light? That's the only right hand turn possible from that stop light. I've seen it done before but not on a red light.

#1374782 - 11/26/12 10:03 PM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: Honest Abe]
The REAL SF HERO Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Honest Abe
I was told that the sinage was requested by one of the town councilman without any discussion of the full board because of the increase traffic during construction. This was probably a good idea, however it should have been on a temporally basis. With the construction done it is unwarranted. Like I said was it legal to post if DOT didn't know why it was.

Why did the councilman not discuss it with the board before ordering the sign?

#1374825 - 11/27/12 11:02 AM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: The REAL SF HERO]
RigaMortis Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Or everyone can just follow the signs and drive safely - sounds like people need to leave 10 minutes earlier if turning on a red light is so important. They add stop signs and no turn signs all the time in stupid places, but it's for the better if people are driving at a safer pace. Downtown SF gets pretty busy on some days, I don't think that it's that big of an issue to keep pressing on about it. On another note- I've been cut off by people turning there when I have been going through the green and almost causing an accident. DOT or not it's for the better.

Edited by RigaMortis (11/27/12 11:03 AM)

#1374834 - 11/27/12 11:21 AM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: RigaMortis]
ExpostulatePoop Offline

Loc: Toilet of New York State
Originally Posted By: RigaMortis
Or everyone can just follow the signs and drive safely - sounds like people need to leave 10 minutes earlier if turning on a red light is so important. They add stop signs and no turn signs all the time in stupid places, but it's for the better if people are driving at a safer pace. Downtown SF gets pretty busy on some days, I don't think that it's that big of an issue to keep pressing on about it. On another note- I've been cut off by people turning there when I have been going through the green and almost causing an accident. DOT or not it's for the better.

Yeah, it's a regular hot bed of a booming metropolis. Come on now. You people live in such a bubble.

I was back in town for the holiday and I couldn't believe how terrible most of you all drive. Small town mentality.

#1374835 - 11/27/12 11:36 AM Re: Right on Red @ State Street [Re: ExpostulatePoop]
farfromnugen Offline

Loc: newyork
i feel its all about the j-walkers that dont know how to push the button... crooked corner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >