FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1373931 - 11/20/12 01:48 AM Windows 8 Opinions
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY
Anyone have any experience with Windows 8 yet? I'm planning on eventually installing a dual-boot copy (mostly for fun rather than work).

Any thoughts pro or con?

FingerLakes1.com
#1373935 - 11/20/12 05:56 AM Re: Windows 8 Opinions [Re: Timbo]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
With a touch screen tablet or laptop it is amazing, with a non-touch device it is taking a bit of getting use to.

#1374071 - 11/21/12 02:02 AM Re: Windows 8 Opinions [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: DR. D
With a touch screen tablet or laptop it is amazing, with a non-touch device it is taking a bit of getting use to.

By non-touch do you mean desktop? I'm always thrilled to see bold innovation taking place. Im just curious how Microsoft plans on implementing this new OS for content consumers and power users alike.

There are so many let's say 'passionate' opinions about Windows 8 right now that it's hard to get a feel for the future of Microsoft's new baby.

No doubt they'll make adjustments and offer use-specifics hardware configurations in the future but it sounds like they've got their work cut out.

If you had a crystal ball, what changes or directions do you see them going with?

I'm especially curious about MS's enterprise customers. I can't imagine they're too thrilled about the new UI. After all, that's where Microsoft makes all their money.

Thx

Edited by Timbo (11/21/12 02:04 AM)

#1374145 - 11/21/12 01:30 PM Re: Windows 8 Opinions [Re: Timbo]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate

#1376593 - 12/09/12 10:04 AM Re: Windows 8 Opinions [Re: newsman38]
groucho Offline

I just bought a barebones computer kit that I have assembled and have installed Windows 8 on it. Compared to what we're used to, I have to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they "forced" this change on the desktop user, who prefer to use a keyboard and mouse. I had to keep running to my Win 7 computer to inquire as how to locate things. Not convenient at all. Most thing require me locating a box to type my request in to find a particular file/location/etc, on this Win 8 computer. Very little point and click.

However, there are a couple of applications to try which will make Windows 8 act much more like what you're used to. I'm personally experimenting with Start8 which has a 30 day free trial, $4.95 to buy. There is also the free Classic Shell. I will likely test this one, too. Why spend even $4.95 if you don't appreciate the difference? With both of these 3rd party apps you can boot straight to the "normal" desktop, find your old apps, etc, and switch back & forth to the tiled "Metro" screen. Very easy to set up, at least it was for me, and both apps are customizable.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

#1376883 - 12/11/12 06:32 AM Re: Windows 8 Opinions [Re: groucho]
teedoff27 Offline

Loc: S2Hphoto
I am still in love with Windows XP so it will be quite a while before i experience Windows 8

During the *vista* era and at the beginning of Windows 7 era I was able to get an emachines destop with Windows XP installed dirt cheap at walmart... I was super stoked!

I am always *behind the times* and like "old school". When people had Super nintendo I was rockin' the regular nintendo. When they were playing playstation I had sega genesis. When they had PS2 I had the original playstation. Now people have Xbox, Wii, and PS3 I have PS2

Same with computers.... I have only known Windows 98 and Windows XP

#1376951 - 12/11/12 04:03 PM Re: Windows 8 Opinions [Re: teedoff27]
cwjga Online   content

Loc: NY
Just bought a new laptop with 8, Fast and easy to use. Just have to have a new mindset.

Worked so well, I just bought a copy and converted an XP desktop to 8. Nice.

Just move the mouse to the upper left corner and all the programs that are running appear.

Move to the lower left and the home screen appears

Move to the upper right and the settings and power menus appear.

Can not be any simpler. And start up time is instant.

#1376997 - 12/11/12 08:44 PM Re: Windows 8 Opinions [Re: cwjga]
groucho Offline

I can switch back & forth to the metro screen & I intend to investigate it further. I would like you to find System Restore for me. No cheating by looking on the web as how to locate it. I can find it instantly in Win 7 and not so easily on Win 8. I ADMIT I had to look for help on Win 8. They just haven't made simple paths to locate ALL that was previously available in the start menu. Have you created any of your own personal folders on your hard disk yet in Win 8, or do you rely on the computer to decide where to store your personal files, for you?

Start up is instant? My new system is a quad core AMD with 8 gig of ram. The computer really doesn't boot much faster than Windows 7 on a dual core.