FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1373556 --- 11/16/12 05:08 AM The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
Zorn Offline

Loc: ny
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-ar...html?c=y&page=1

Quote:

But in the 1790s, Davis continues, “the most remarkable thing about Jefferson’s stand on slavery is his immense silence.” And later, Davis finds, Jefferson’s emancipation efforts “virtually ceased.”

Somewhere in a short span of years during the 1780s and into the early 1790s, a transformation came over Jefferson.

Apparently Thomas Jefferson was an expert on Liberty and Freedom... except when it came to whipping young slave boys, and figuring out how much profit he could make having slaves make nails for him.

In 1817 a friend of Jefferson's died, and he left money to Jefferson in his will. Half of it was to buy all his slaves, and free them, essentially paying Jefferson to free them. Jefferson helped him write the will, but then when the friend died, Jefferson refused the gift.

Quote:
He pioneered the monetizing of slaves, just as he pioneered the industrialization and diversification of slavery.

Jefferson was a republican! Talks a lot about freedom... until he realizes he can make money stepping on other people.

FingerLakes1.com
#1373626 --- 11/16/12 08:20 PM Re: The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson [Re: Zorn]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: Zorn
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-ar...html?c=y&page=1

Quote:

But in the 1790s, Davis continues, “the most remarkable thing about Jefferson’s stand on slavery is his immense silence.” And later, Davis finds, Jefferson’s emancipation efforts “virtually ceased.”

Somewhere in a short span of years during the 1780s and into the early 1790s, a transformation came over Jefferson.

Apparently Thomas Jefferson was an expert on Liberty and Freedom... except when it came to whipping young slave boys, and figuring out how much profit he could make having slaves make nails for him.

In 1817 a friend of Jefferson's died, and he left money to Jefferson in his will. Half of it was to buy all his slaves, and free them, essentially paying Jefferson to free them. Jefferson helped him write the will, but then when the friend died, Jefferson refused the gift.

Quote:
He pioneered the monetizing of slaves, just as he pioneered the industrialization and diversification of slavery.

Jefferson was a republican! Talks a lot about freedom... until he realizes he can make money stepping on other people.

Jefferson was member of the Democratic-Republican party, which is not the same as being a member of the Republican party... the GOP which was founded in 1854.

#1373811 --- 11/18/12 08:03 PM Re: The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson [Re: Josephus]
Zorn Offline

Loc: ny
Yeah I meant he would be a republican if he was alive today.