FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1373600 - 11/16/12 03:01 PM Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
Downstate storm debris headed to Seneca Meadows
By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com | Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 10:03 am
SENECA FALLS — Videos and photographs of New York City and Long Island neighborhoods devastated by Hurricane Sandy show mounds of ruined household items piled on curbs.
Disposing of the waste is a major part of the recovery and rebuilding efforts.
Seneca Meadows Landfill has agreed to help.
A contractor representing the Army Corps of Engineers approached landfill officials about accepting some of the debris, and the material is now being trucked to the facility.
“We’re expecting the hurricane debris to come in for the next several weeks,” said Thomas Hasek, environmental engineering and compliance manager for the largest landfill in upstate New York. “We have been in constant communication with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. We’ve passed a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency evaluation for the project, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is on site to oversee the materials handling.”
Hasek said each truckload of debris is screened for removal of unacceptable items, such as electronics and white goods like large appliances. Those items are separated for recycling and alternate disposal.
“Although we are but one of several facilities taking this waste, it’s still a tremendous effort, and I’m proud of our team for the level of excellence that’s going into this project,” Hasek said.
Seneca Meadows is permitted to accept up to 6,000 tons of household solid waste a day. DEC has issued the landfill a temporary waiver allowing it to accept material in excess of its permitted capacity for the next 30 days.
Don Gentilcore, area manager for Seneca Meadows, declined to say what tipping fees are being charged.
The company has sent pallets of water and other supplies to assist hurricane victims on Staten Island, and a staff member has traveled downstate to personally help in the recovery effort.
“You don’t think about it until it happens, but the removal and management of this debris is an important step toward helping those families recover their lives,” Gentilcore said. “We will continue to assist the state and federal agencies that are providing this relief in any way that we can.”
Lee Henry of Waterloo is vice president of Concerned Citizens of Seneca County, a group that has battled the landfill on several issues.
“I realize they have to get rid of this debris quick, but there are closer landfills than hauling it hundreds of miles up here,” Henry said. “It seems like the tipping fees encourage trash from outside the area to come to this landfill, which already takes trash from downstate and several other states.”
Henry said he hopes the material is properly screened and deposited.
Stephen Churchill, D-Seneca Falls, chairman of the Board of Supervisors Environmental Quality Committee, wasn’t aware of the DEC waiver and declined comment at this time.
Ontario County Administrator John Garvey said last night his county’s landfill has not yet accepted debris related to Hurricane Sandy, although it remains a possibility that could happen.

FingerLakes1.com
#1373602 - 11/16/12 03:08 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: Cinnamon]
seneca dad22 Offline

Loc: NY
Why wouldn't they? We take all their other trash, why not this too? It's all about revenue.

#1373603 - 11/16/12 03:20 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: seneca dad22]
Festus Offline

Loc: On yer nerves.
" DEC has issued the landfill a temporary waiver allowing it to accept material in excess of its permitted capacity for the next 30 days."

"Stephen Churchill, D-Seneca Falls, chairman of the Board of Supervisors Environmental Quality Committee, wasn’t aware of the DEC waiver"

#1373658 - 11/17/12 09:21 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: Festus]
mikey Offline

Loc: Rochester NY
Great spin! Is this corporation
"aiding" the cleanup for free to defer the cost to NY'ers or are they just an integral part of disaster capitalism? This corporation, like all are simply opportunists awaiting new sales. Why spin it any other way than the truth?

#1373659 - 11/17/12 09:44 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: mikey]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Originally Posted By: mikey
Great spin! Is this corporation
"aiding" the cleanup for free to defer the cost to NY'ers or are they just an integral part of disaster capitalism? This corporation, like all are simply opportunists awaiting new sales. Why spin it any other way than the truth?

LOL!

#1373713 - 11/17/12 07:12 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: SportsRef1]
mikey Offline

What's the problem sports ref? I'm a corporate leader in NY for a national firm. It's only about profit. Never about anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I am not calling SM out for taking advantage...but it is disaster capitalism (my company to...we are housing).

I object to the stupid call to arms that this is about helping. It's isn't. It's about the capitalization of a position.

You can't make a pig anything more than it is, a pig. SM, like all corporations,. aims to advance profit, not people.

If you can admit the truth, great...if not, then don't contribute foolishness.

Why wouldn't SM move it to make profit?? It is about shaerholder value. WAterloo and Seneca Falls are simply the seepool in which they inject their feculance.

It's just money. I don't falut them...but give up the nobilty of the action.

#1373718 - 11/17/12 08:26 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: mikey]
Monte Cristo Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Corporate leader in a a national firm Mikey? Me thinks not. Yer just trolling as always. BTW...your "housing company" called. You forgot to pick up their trash.

#1373738 - 11/18/12 07:04 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: Monte Cristo]
mikey Offline

OK, Monte. I do lead the regional team for my company. It doesn't matter...all I am saying is call it what it is.

It's always the same here.

#1373832 - 11/19/12 09:20 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: Cinnamon]
antnee Offline

Loc: new york, usa
Oh, Seneca Meadows is SO wonderful! Meanwhile, all the local folk are dissolving from their fumes.

#1374249 - 11/22/12 08:29 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: SportsRef1]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Seneca Meadows twin sister with the same stinking problem:

By DAVID L. SHAW
dshaw@fltimes.com

SENECA — As usual, the Ontario County Landfill dominated the Town Board’s agenda Tuesday evening. Unpleasant odors emanating from the 389-acre landfill on Routes 5&20 sparked most of the discussion. Robert DeLeo of Flint spoke during the initial public comment period. He praised Casella Waste Services, operator of the landfill for the county, for picking up roadside debris and sweeping the road. However, he said of recent odors, they “have never been this bad.”

Under communications, town Supervisor John Sheppard referred to letters of concern about the landfill he has received in recent weeks. Summarizing them, he said most writers objected to the landfill odor and urged him to continue voting against the expansion.

#1374364 - 11/23/12 03:51 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: Cinnamon]
antnee Offline

Loc: new york, usa
When I posted about how particularly bad the smell was lately it got deleted by FL1! At least Casella in Flint will admit there's an issue! And "it" is going to make us sizzle away!

#1374447 - 11/24/12 01:41 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: antnee]
Escape From SC Offline

Loc: NYS
It is just lovely how people try to make Scummy Meadows look like saints for taking in trash that they already accept with open arms anyway. Let the shiny coins fly!

#1374538 - 11/25/12 08:59 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: Escape From SC]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate

#1374545 - 11/25/12 09:41 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: newsman38]
Hard Corps Offline

Loc: The Village
I had to laugh. People complain about the profits Seneca meadows makes but at the same time Seneca falls people want that money to help offset their taxes.

#1374552 - 11/25/12 11:18 AM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: Hard Corps]
sox fan Offline

Loc: ny, usa
Yeah isn't that the truth. Use the money from Seneca Meadows to offset the Cayuga Indians deliquint property tax bill, I don't want that trash money. Soon as the dump closes, the taxes will increase, don't tease me now with an artificial tax deductuion. As far as i'm concerned, this area is now ruined with the dump.

#1375032 - 11/28/12 07:58 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: sox fan]
mikey Offline

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Sandy-Cough-Cleanup-Dust-Debris-Mold-Air-Quality-181054771.html

Patrick Zoda has been working nonstop for a month, trying to save his Staten Island home after it was badly damaged by Sandy. As he works, the debris cloud filling his house has also been filling his lungs.

“I feel totally drained, tired," Zoda told NBC 4 New York. "Every morning I wake up coughing."

Dr. Brahim Ardolic, chairman of Emergency Medicine at Staten Island University Hospital, says he has seen a greater number of patients with respiratory issues in recent weeks, mostly in people with pre-existing conditions. The combination of flu season and Sandy cleanup -- which has brought unhygienic conditions, dirty water and mold into homes -- is a perfect storm for sickness, he says.

"Which of these factors actually cause these people to come in is very difficult to say, but clearly, there is an increase in the number of people that are coming in with these conditions," Ardolic said.

Zoda, who lives in Midland Beach, says this cough is different from anything he's had before.

“It is a very dry cough that I have. It's not a normal cough,” Zoda said.

And doctors say it’s not just mold that could irritate residents, but also dust and insulation.

For Zoda and hundreds of home owners just like him, there is just no time to get sick.

“If I have to see a doctor, do this, that, everything, clean up. Only so much one person can do,” he said.

Even if people are pressed for time, they need to see a doctor, Ardolic says.

“You've probably had very little rest, been exposed to conditions that are horrifying and you maybe are sicker than you know. And what gets you ill, it's not the mold necessarily but you might be ignoring symptoms you wouldn't normally be ignoring,” he said.

#1375041 - 11/28/12 09:28 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: mikey]
sox fan Offline

Loc: ny, usa
Good information Mikey, It's amazing how some people would put our health in jeapordy, just for the sake of money. Maybe once the landfill workers start getting sick, somebody might take notice. I doubt it though. It's only a matter of time before that place starts killing us off. The sad part of this, we are going to die as a result of this tradgedy. Create a landfill in our backyard! Animals even know better. To allow that mold infested debris to be brought up here is a crime, that place should be shut down now!

#1375042 - 11/28/12 09:54 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: sox fan]
The REAL SF HERO Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
EVERYONE HAS THEIR PRICE!

Lorenzetti said Aronson
told her on the telephone
the county should cooperate
with the state or potentially
face the loss of grants.
Aronson said that wasn’t
his recollection of the phone
conversation. Rather, he
said Lorenzetti asked him if
the project couldn’t be
stopped, what money could
be in it for Fayette

Lorenzetti vehemently
denied Aronson’s version of
their conversation before
storming out of the meeting. (very adult like)

#1375051 - 11/28/12 11:44 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: The REAL SF HERO]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
How High is the fence momma?

#1375101 - 11/29/12 01:29 PM Re: Seneca Meadows aiding Sandy cleanup [Re: I did it!]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
By DAVID L. SHAW
dshaw@fltimes.com

WATERLOO — They can’t force the Industrial Development Agency to change its mind, but the Seneca County Board of Supervisors wants that panel to rescind its licensing agreement with Casella Waste Services allowing Hurricane Sandy debris to arrive at the former Seneca Army Depot by railroad.

The IDA owns the 10,700-acre former depot and is in charge of its use. It has a site-access agreement with Pennsylvania based North East Freight Transfer to use a portion of the west side of the property to off-load commodities that come in by rail or truck. The recently agreed upon license allows Casella to have storm debris brought upstate to the depot, where NEFT will load it onto trucks before it’s driven to the Ontario County Landfill in the town of Seneca.

In a motion approved by the Nov 12-0 vote Wednesday, the board made it clear it’s not happy with the IDA’s Nov. 21 action.

Edited by kyle585 (11/29/12 01:32 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >