FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1373432 - 11/15/12 11:54 AM Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic

Elmira, N.Y. – It’s been responsible for several deaths in one county and more than 100 emergency room visits at one hospital in the southern tier.

By now most of you have heard of the synthetic drug bath salts.

It’s been labeled as anything from Zombie Matter to Bizarro. It's a white powdery substance that often comes in small unlabeled packets that state not for human consumption.

The fact is the synthetic drug bath salts and similar products have become what investigators say is an epidemic in the twin tiers.

But its not just adults who are using them, some southern tier teens we spoke with say they know others their age who have tried them.

These synthetic drugs are made with the intent to mimic the effects of drugs like cocaine, speed and other amphetamine like drugs.

Christie Speciale from Trinity Drug Prevention says the reason why they're so dangerous is no one knows what's in them.

Speciale also says these drugs are highly addictive. The side effects are so extreme abusers take them again to avoid the crash.

The impact these drugs are having across the twin tiers is wide spread.

At St. Joseph’s Hospital's emergency room in Elmira, they've had more than 100 people come in under the influence of bath salts.

To combat this issue the State of New York and Pennsylvania enacted laws to ban the sale and use of bath salts. Just because they're now illegal to take or sell in the twin tiers it obviously hasn't stopped those still after the high.

The U.S. Attorney for Western New York, William Hochul, says the reason why bath salts are so hard to police is because they're typically made in China and India.

Abusers are able to order them from those countries online undetected.

Reported by: Bobby Brooks
Published: 11/13 10:51 pm

FingerLakes1.com
#1373475 - 11/15/12 04:20 PM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
By now most of you have heard of the synthetic drug bath salts.

I have, but, since I don't use them, it's really a non-issue. I'll let those who choose to use them worry about any health effects.

For me to try to talk them out of using them would be analogous to trying to talk someone out of riding a motorcycle: It's fun, but obviously inherently dangerous...we make our own choices, based on our own values.

Quote:
Just because they're now illegal to take or sell in the twin tiers it obviously hasn't stopped those still after the high.

But the War on Some Drugs is really effective, and not a complete waste of money, time, effort, and civil liberties, right? C'mon...work with me here...hold my hand and whisper sweet lies to me...I'm an American, so I love and need that.

#1373499 - 11/15/12 06:07 PM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Washington and Colorado have taken the first right steps.

#1373638 - 11/16/12 11:53 PM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Wait...wait just a minute! Does that mean that if I'm stoned right now, I have to search for a guy to lie with?

I'm in Dryden, after all...what if there are only guys that I'd never date? Well, I shouldn't say "never"...let's just say, approximately...3.7 eternities.

What if there were only cows? Great big, belching, fat, spotted cows that never bathe. They never even call the next day...

#1373688 - 11/17/12 02:05 PM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: VM Smith]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
What you and a consenting adult cow do should be no one's business, right? I give it fifteen years, tops, before bestiality is the next cause celebre.

#1373795 - 11/18/12 08:08 PM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: BigRed]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

MOoo!

#1373853 - 11/19/12 02:34 PM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Hey on my way with a Hog Leg
RE;But the War on Some Drugs is really effective, and not a complete waste of money, time, effort, and civil liberties, right? C'mon...work with me here...hold my hand and whisper sweet lies to me...I'm an American, so I love and need that.

bestiality is practiced by the Amish already along with other sickos. They must in their own mind think they are hung like a
Bull LOL

#1374064 - 11/21/12 12:37 AM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I'm sure that a few Amish practice it, but they didn't invent it, and sure don't have a lock on the practice. Wicki:

Quote:
Extent of occurrence

The Kinsey reports rated the percentage of people who had sexual interaction with animals at some point in their lives as 8% for men and 3.6% for women, and claimed it was 40–50% in people living near farms,[17] but some later writers dispute the figures, because the study lacked a random sample in that it included a disproportional amount of prisoners, causing sampling bias. Martin Duberman has written that it is difficult to get a random sample in sexual research, and that even when Paul Gebhard, Kinsey's research successor, removed prison samples from the figures, he found the figures were not significantly changed.[18]

By 1974, the farm population in the USA had declined by 80 percent compared to 1940, reducing the opportunity to live with animals; Hunt's 1974 study suggests that these demographic changes led to a significant change in reported occurrences of bestiality. The percentage of males who reported sexual interactions with animals in 1974 was 4.9% (1948: 8.3%), and in females in 1974 was 1.9% (1953: 3.6%). Miletski believes this is not due to a reduction in interest but merely a reduction in opportunity.[19]

Nancy Friday's 1973 book on female sexuality, My Secret Garden, comprised around 190 fantasies from different women; of these, 23 involve zoophilic activity.[20]

In one study, psychiatric patients were found to have a statistically significant higher prevalence rate (55 percent) of reported bestiality, both actual sexual contacts (45 percent) and sexual fantasy (30 percent) than the control groups of medical in-patients (10 percent) and psychiatric staff (15 percent).[21] Crépault and Couture (1980) reported that 5.3 percent of the men they surveyed had fantasized about sexual activity with an animal during heterosexual intercourse.[22] A 1982 study suggested that 7.5 percent of 186 university students had interacted sexually with an animal.[23]

Sexual fantasies about zoophilic acts can occur in people who do not have any wish to experience them in real life. Nancy Friday notes that zoophilia as a fantasy may provide an escape from cultural expectations, restrictions, and judgements in regard to sex. A frequent interest in and sexual excitement at watching animals mate is cited as an indicator of latent zoophilia by Massen (1994). Masters (1962) says that some brothel madams used to stage exhibitions of animals mating, as they found it aroused potential clientele, and that this may have encouraged the clients to engage in bestiality.[24]

Several studies have found that women show stronger vaginal responses to films depicting bonobo copulation than to non-sexual stimuli.[25][26]

Zoophiles have been described as "occupying [many] different demographic categories: white, black, Asian, Mormon, Amish, Catholic, atheist, pagan, Jewish, male and female.".[27] In addition, people who "grew up in the country around animals were no more likely to become zoophiles than those who grew up in the city without them

#1374093 - 11/21/12 09:28 AM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: VM Smith]
pystew Offline

Loc: Beautiful Penn Yan
I have recently started a blog, The New NY 23rd , which discusses political topics dealing our new Congressional District. If you go to it you'll realize that I lean to the left, but do give credit when credit is due. A recent entry points out that Rep Reed is working with Rep. Slaughter and the Buffalo area Congressional representatives on changing FAA Flight Safety Rules. I have also pointed out that a good number of non-democrats voted for Kristen Gillibrand--she received more votes that Obama in each county in the district, and defeated Wendy Long in every county in the district except Allegany. I welcome replies and discussions.

#1375526 - 12/02/12 11:05 PM Re: Bath Salts: The Twin Tiers New Epidemic [Re: pystew]
pystew Offline

Loc: Beautiful Penn Yan
If you haven't visited my blog, "New NY 23rd" this week you've missed: Two articles, one about Rep. Tom Reed's record dealing with disasters, and another about the accomplishments of the Congress. You also missed a movie trailer on the new Matt Damon movie, "Promised Land" which happens to be about hydrofracking, an article about what Nate Shinagawa is up to, Unemployment in the district by Counties, a link to a neat Consumer Protection brochure, and other neat surprises. We have a partial list of the OFFICIAL election results. Just go to http://newny23rd.com . You can also sign up to get an email each time there's a new posting on the site.