FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1373210 - 11/14/12 12:32 AM 18 PERCENT INCREASE
dj205 Offline

Loc: in my mind
Did anyone read the letter to the editor from John Ghidiu?
11/13/12
Wow, is he spot on!!!
All we've heard about from our Yates County Supervisor is, we have to pay for unfunded Mandates.
So, deal with them.
Stop spending, like we (everyday people) have to.
"Instead of meeting with department heads to discuss their budgets, reduce it by 18 percent and then tell the "department heads" to FIGURE OUT how to make it work! Reduce their spending.
That's how the majority of the public works, the County needs to do the same!
If you can't pay cash for it, you don't buy it. If you want something..save for it. Where did the basic concept of that go?
Live within your means is a lost concept. Yates County needs to set an example, live the way the 99%'s have to.
I might have an old car that I'd love to replace, but, it runs, so, I guess I'll keep it. Don't tell me that if I trade it now I'll get a better trade in price, If I keep it, it won't cost a thing. I'll fix it at $200 or $3000 a pop when it needs it, not, $35,000, for just in case!
There are just so many wasted dollars, Police cars going home with Policemen, "in Case" of a call. We could cut our fleet by 50% . Pay them mileage, in case they have to go "all the way" to the station to get a car to go to a call. I bet that would be a "bunch" cheaperl

Yates County!!! WAKE UP! Don't let them do this to us!!! Make the legislator's do their jobs!!

When was the last time you got an 18% raise?

FingerLakes1.com
#1373267 - 11/14/12 12:32 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
I was hoping that they posted the letter on line. Its not there, I e-mailed the Chronicle to see if they publish the whole paper in an on-line format that I could subscibe to.

#1373268 - 11/14/12 12:51 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
Sinderella Offline

Is taking a car home a requirement? It seems like I would save a bunch of money if someone were paying for the gas for my daily trip to work. How much would gasoline alone save the taxpayers?

#1373291 - 11/14/12 02:25 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
JudgeBackster Offline

A great discussion.

The head of the legislator led the charge year back to guarantee the County employees a 3% pay raise each year for 3 years knowing full well that the county would run out of money today. This liberal wearing a conservative disguise still does not acknowledge why this is wrong and troubling to many of us.

I live near a sheriff that brings his car home and seldom do I see him called out on an emergency call. However, it would be nice to look at the records to see how often these guys are pulled off the couch and why.

The legislators act as if the sky will fall if we reduce spending. Why?

#1373293 - 11/14/12 02:28 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: JudgeBackster]
JudgeBackster Offline

It would also be nice if our local media (and we know who this is) stopped acting like their on the County payroll!

#1373301 - 11/14/12 03:45 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: JudgeBackster]
Mean Gene Offline

To quote a now retired administrator, the argument made years ago for take home cars was the fact that they did not have deputies on 24/7. That argument is no longer valid. I would guess that you could count on one hand the number of times that someone is called in off duty and it made a difference that he had a car to jump in. An on call Investigator with a car makes sense, as they could quickly respond to a scene at a deputy's request. The undersheriff, Chief Deputy and all the road patrol having cars to take home is an inefficent use of county tax dollars. Again, if they went back to "yard cars" they could more than cut their fleet in half. Its not cheap to keep equipping those cars when they replace them.

#1373341 - 11/14/12 07:12 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: Mean Gene]
dj205 Offline

Exactly my point MG.
Sell off the surplus vehicles.
Pay for mileage to any officer that "may" be called in off duty, if that occurs.
I don't know how many extra cars this includes, but, say it's 10 X's what? $35,000 per car? A savings of $350,000. Plus.....insurance, registration, inspections, oil changes and just basic maintenance. Cha ching! It just keeps adding up savings.

Don't spend it elsewhere either! Just get rid of that debt.

I'm including the Village Police cars in this also.
Village taxes are outrageous.

I just read they have it down to 16.8%. Good job! Keep going!
BTW, I meant Administrator, not Supervisor.

Edited by dj205 (11/14/12 07:27 PM)

#1373349 - 11/14/12 07:57 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
Mean Gene Offline

I disagree with the "paying for mileage " for people being called in. If a deputy gets called in I believe the officer gets 3 hrs at time and a half, or more if they stay on duty longer!

#1373362 - 11/14/12 09:21 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: Mean Gene]
CountyMounty Offline

Loc: North of the Mason-Dixon
Amen, Mean Gene. I used to be a staunch proponent of the take-home cars. But now I realize, for what? I guess there never was any reason. When I worked in law enforcement we used yard cars. I was called in several times from home, and I just had my office start my time from when I was called, to when I left, in my personal vehicle. I was glad to be paid for a service and never worried about the milage issue.

#1373380 - 11/14/12 11:10 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: Sinderella]
Sinderella Offline

and while I am thinking about it, is the use of the take home care figured into the employees wages or other compensation? it probably should be shouldn't it?

#1373381 - 11/14/12 11:19 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
Sinderella Offline

And do we REALLY need a County Administrator? Seems like this County, along.with many others, got along just fine for many years without one. That would save quite a bit in salary and benefits

#1373382 - 11/14/12 11:22 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
Sinderella Offline

I wonder if any of these ideas would really ever get considered by the legislators?

#1373440 - 11/15/12 01:33 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: Sinderella]
sarge1m19 Offline

Loc: yates county ny
if we look back over the last 10 years or so, was there ever a village police officer or retired chief that lived out side the village and took home a village police car on a regular basis? that being said......really?

#1373457 - 11/15/12 03:24 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: sarge1m19]
Mean Gene Offline

Yes, Chief Hill drove his car to his home outside the Village. Sometimes he would leave his car if we were short on vehicles. It would only take one marked car with a major mechanical problem being out of service in the Village to put us in a pickle back then.

I would dare say the county could reduce their fleet by 10 or more vehicles and still have plenty for people to use when they came on duty if they went back to yard cars.

#1373531 - 11/15/12 10:12 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: Sinderella]
dj205 Offline

I can't take anything away from Sarah! She works hard for our County. That is not one area I would discontinue. I wouldn't want her job...If you think you can do a better job than her, Sinderella, run for it! I don't think that'll happen.

#1373539 - 11/15/12 11:38 PM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
FLDukes Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Sarah and the legislature really do have the best interests of Yates County in mind. The legislature is dealing with a lot of unfunded state mandates (cough, social services, pensions) that are really driving up their bill. It's unfortunate, and we can blame them all we want, but they have virtually no control over things and there are only so many areas you can cut without having a drastic impact locally. I know the legislatures are sick over this whole thing.

#1373555 - 11/16/12 06:54 AM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: FLDukes]
CurlySue Offline

Loc: New York,USA
You can not "run" for County Administrator it is an appointed position. An issue I have with the Administrator is her dual paid positions - Budget Officer and County Administrator.

#1373562 - 11/16/12 10:36 AM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: CurlySue]
C.I.Brown Offline

Loc: PY,NY
I hear that it is down to 16%. This is a far cry from the two percent cap rule. If Sarah Purdy can't do any better than this, then maybe we ought to rethink her position. She certainly does not deserve these across the board raises she keeps getting. Yes she has a value to this county, but at what price? If she wants to earn her pay, she ought to be making some staff cuts, consolidting positions, making the employees pay part of their health premiums, and forgo raises like the rest of the working world is doing.

#1373563 - 11/16/12 10:40 AM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: CurlySue]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: CurlySue
You can not "run" for County Administrator it is an appointed position. An issue I have with the Administrator is her dual paid positions - Budget Officer and County Administrator.

Budget requests from department heads go thru her. Sarah and the legislators were not "feeling bad" as they continued to add staff over the years at the YCSO. Taylor Fitch once told me "they treat the Sheriff differently from other department heads because he is an elected official" Probably the only thing they have denied him the last 15-20 years is some fluff that he might have added in a particular budget year.
Here's how it goes: The Sheriff decides he wants to switch the road patrol over to Navy Blue uniforms so he puts money in the budget to outfit all the deputies. I wonder what he did with all the perfectly good grey uniforms, patches etc.

A few years later he decides the jail personnel would look better in navy blue so he gets money in his budget to re-outfit the entire jail. That must of cost a pretty penny, with part timers he probably had to buy uniforms,patches etc for over 30 people. I wonder what they did with those perfectly good uniforms.

Several years ago they upgraded their Deputies handguns. They also bought all new semi-auto assault rifles for all of their cars. (remember how many cars they have?) When I was getting a price for new guns for the PD from the vendor who sold to the YCSO he told me that he gave the YCSO a better trade because they had six extra handguns that were brand new still in the box when the YCSO upgraded!

Oh yes, I don't wonder what he did with the shotguns he removed from all the cars. He offered them to his staff to buy and the PYPD obtained some from him as they were an upgrade to the old shotguns we carried in our cars.

There is alot of fluff in that budget, but the hard decision for the legislature is to quit filling positions when they become vacant. They should tell the Sheriff that he used to get along with less people before and there is no reason he couldn't do it again without compromising public safety.

I also read a quote from Bob Multer in the Chronicle stating that the "County is the only entity that provides public safety" He can't be serious. Twenty percent of the population resides in the Village of Penn Yan which has police protection.
Dundee has a state police substation with troopers that can respond to emergencies. The County is not the be all end all for law enforcement in Yates County.

Ok, off my soap box!!

#1373565 - 11/16/12 10:52 AM Re: 18 PERCENT INCREASE [Re: dj205]
JoeSimmons5 Offline

Our Legislators knew about this 20%+ budget shortfall many years back. Letís not assume our leaders are so blind not to be able to forecast. Unfortunately, there was a disregard for managing tax payer money beyond their nose and as a result, all except for Mark Morris, Tim Dennis and Leslie Church who were not around at the time should be given the boot.

Iím concerned that our elected Legislators act like this budget crisis is some new hardship and that itís all of a sudden time to cut spending to save the tax payers from a 20% property tax increase. Those that are true leaders and fiscally responsible truly looking out for the welfare of the County would have thought about this years ago and not given in to our Sherriffs sustained request for more toys and not decided to give every county employee a 3% pay raise each year for the next three years with no regard for performance. Just breath and will will give you a raise and then go into a budget crisis and lay off you or your coworker. Dumb!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >