FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1372972 - 11/11/12 08:29 PM Meanwhile, in Texas...
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
BY BUD KENNEDY
bud@star-telegram.com

Texas Republicans are already using the s-word.

One party official from Southeast Texas calls for -- not secession -- separation.

"Why should Vermont and Texas live under the same government?" writes Hardin County Republican treasurer Peter Morrison, a Ron Paul supporter and author of a race-heavy Tea Party newsletter.

"Let each go her own way," he writes, demanding an "amicable divorce" from the U.S. and from the "maggots" who re-elected President Obama.

Evoking the history of Confederate soldiers who refused to surrender after Gettysburg, Morrison, 33, calls for Texans to fight "in hopes that Providence might shine upon our cause."

Morrison is particularly angry at Asian-Americans and Hispanics who backed Obama, accusing them of voting on an "ethnic basis."

"'They' re-elected Obama," Morrison wrote. "He is their president."

Oh, did I mention that Morrison was chosen by former State Board of Education Chairman Don McLeroy to help screen Texas public school textbooks?

Morrison's nasty newsletter has several hundred readers. It's republished on Tea Party websites and redistributed by evangelical Republicans.

He has donated up to $40,000 per candidate and used his Morrison Report to oppose business conservatives allied with Texas House Speaker Joe Straus. In 2010, he used his newsletter to criticize Straus' rabbi and wrote that Straus "lacks the moral compass" to lead.

I called Kent Batman of Kountze, chairman of the Hardin County Republican Party, to ask if the rest of his county party backs secession.

Batman's response: "Wow."

He sighed and said, "OK, well -- I guess I need to start taking a look at his newsletters."

Morrison is a home- schooler and one of Hardin County's more libertarian Republicans, Batman said.

"People around here are asking why Texas is so different from the rest of the country, why we see things so differently," Batman said.

"But I don't think a lot of people here are saying we ought to leave the Union."

Another Republican, former U.S. Senate candidate Larry Kilgore of Arlington, writes on his website he will run for governor in 2014 under the name "SECEDE Kilgore."

It didn't work so well last time.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/11/08/4399621/hardin-county-gop-official-wants.html

SUPPORT SOME OF OUR TROOPS

FingerLakes1.com
#1372979 - 11/11/12 09:53 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: twocats]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Wow... sounds like more tin foil hat fun. ;\)

I love it how he says that Asian-Americans and Hispanics supported Obama on an "ethic basis". I wonder what basis he thinks his ilk and, say, those in the klan voted?

I think the writing is written pretty clearly on the wall. Either the republican party shifts with the times, or go the way of the Whigs, Know-Nothings, and the Federalists.

#1373040 - 11/12/12 03:53 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Josephus]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Gaia

More on that...

Red Staters (and More) Already Talking Secession After Obama Victory
Petitions for secession popping up on White House site, while Texas Tea Partier talks withdrawal from union.

AlterNet / By Sarah Seltzer

November 12, 2012

It was only a matter of time before the bursting of the bubble for hard-core conservatives led to cries of secession. To be fair, blue-staters were saying similar things back in 2004 after Bush's re-election, but the geographical ironies were perhaps less rich then, since this year the electoral map looks suspiciously like slave states and free states lining up in opposition.

On the WhiteHouse.gov petition-writing tool, a large number of people have put forward petitions "peacefully demanding" that their states, including Texas and Louisiana, be removed from the Union. These two have garnered tens of thousands of signatures already, while others--which aren't all predictable, and include states like New York and Michigan-- have only a few thousand signees each.

Meanwhile, the Texas Observer's Forrest Wilder reports on a Tea Party newsletter that uses language even more historically problematic than these petitions: “They” re-elected Obama last night. He is their President. And we must admit to ourselves at some point, it is now their country."

This leads to the writer's "inevitable" conclusion:

In this respect, Texas can lead the way. Texas was once its own country, and many Texans already think in nationalist terms about their state. We need to do everything possible to encourage a long-term shift in thinking on this issue. Why should Vermont and Texas live under the same government? Let each go her own way in peace, sign a free trade agreement among the states and we can avoid this gut-wrenching spectacle every four years.

Again, to be fair, conservatives are far from the only ones who have talked secession when politics don't go their way. Ultra-progressive Vermont has a left-libertarian secessionist party, in fact. But the combination of all this secessionist talk with the demographic defeat for white voters and electoral defeat for former slave states, the anger over the re-election of a black president supported by "them", and the generalized nativist rhetoric coming out of the right wing all campaign season long, and you have a more frightening example of secessionist talk than usual.

Sarah Seltzer is an associate editor at AlterNet and a freelance writer based in New York City. Her work has been published at the Nation, the Christian Science Monitor, Jezebel and the Washington Post. Follow her on Twitter at @sarahmseltzer and find her work at sarahmseltzer.com.

#1373079 - 11/12/12 08:27 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Teonan]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

If they decide to open a history book (if they can actually read it), they'll discover that plan didn't work so well the last time around.

#1373090 - 11/12/12 09:51 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Josephus]
sands Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Josephus
If they decide to open a history book......

They will discover.....

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere." – Thomas Jefferson, letter to Abigail Adams, February 22, 1787

#1373108 - 11/12/12 11:47 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: sands]
PO'ed Moderate Offline

Loc: middle of the road and getting...
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/11/states-federal-taxes-spending-charts-maps

Funny how most states that voted for McCain in 2008 (which are the same states that voted for Romney in 2012) get more money from the federal government than they send to D.C.

#1373109 - 11/12/12 11:47 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: sands]
Cuzi Sedso Offline

Oh yeah... grab a quote from Jefferson (regardless of context) to support insurrection and it's all good....

#1373121 - 11/13/12 08:21 AM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Cuzi Sedso]
sands Offline

Originally Posted By: Cuzi Sedso
Oh yeah... grab a quote from Jefferson (regardless of context) to support insurrection and it's all good....

If you insist! How's this one? "God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion."

#1373136 - 11/13/12 11:41 AM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: sands]
Cuzi Sedso Offline

Like the rest, without context it's just babble. In that same rant about rebellion and revolution and refreshing the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots and tyrants, Jefferson also said "It is its own manure."

#1373138 - 11/13/12 12:36 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Cuzi Sedso]

WASHINGTON: At least 20 US states have filed petitions to secede following the re-election of Barack Obama.

Following the re-election, several petitions surfaced requesting the Obama administration to peacefully grant the applied state to withdraw from the United States of America in order to create their own government.

Louisiana was the first state to file a petition followed by Texas.

States with secession-related petitions on the White House website no include Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina and Tennessee.

#1373141 - 11/13/12 01:17 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: ]
Cuzi Sedso Offline

If any are granted what are they going to call it -- the Republic of Redneckia?

#1373143 - 11/13/12 01:22 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Cuzi Sedso]

It doesn't matter just as long as Barry's not the Prez!

#1373147 - 11/13/12 01:55 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Cuzi Sedso]
Ohithere Offline

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/p...rnor-rick-perry

Here are the numbers of petition signers for each of the 20 states (each petition needs 25,000 signatures within 30 days to be considered by the government):

Alabama 3,975

Arkansas 350

Colorado 3,055

Florida 4,033

Georgia 1,629

Indiana 3,194

Kentucky 3,229

Louisiana 12,192

Michigan 2,482

Mississippi 3,171

Missouri 2,196

Montana 2,867

New Jersey 2,485

New York 2,847

North Carolina 3,823

North Dakota 2,508

Oregon 2,678

South Carolina 2,632

Tennessee 2,659

Texas 14,883

Edited by Ohithere (11/13/12 02:06 PM)

#1373150 - 11/13/12 02:12 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Ohithere]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
Texas 73,930
Florida 22,086
Georgia 20,888
Alabama 20,511
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...rnment/BmdWCP8B

Edited by ovidtech (11/13/12 02:21 PM)

#1373153 - 11/13/12 02:21 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: ovidtech]
Ohithere Offline

#1373156 - 11/13/12 02:34 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Ohithere]

Is the daily kos one of your news sources?

#1373160 - 11/13/12 02:48 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: ovidtech]
Ohithere Offline

#1373162 - 11/13/12 02:55 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: Ohithere]
Ohithere Offline

The U.S. Congress may admit new states on an equal footing with existing ones; this last happened in 1959 with the admission of Alaska and Hawaii. The U.S. Constitution is silent on the question of whether states have the power to leave unilaterally, or secede from, the Union, but the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled[2][3] secession to be unconstitutional, a position driven in part by the outcome of the American Civil War.

It doesn't matter if any states gathers even 200,000 signitures.

#1373164 - 11/13/12 03:05 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: twocats]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Somewhere out there

Last Updated: 2 hours and 3 minutes ago

By: CNN Wire

An appeal calling on the federal government to allow Texas to "withdraw from the United States of America" following President Barack Obama's re-election doesn't have the support of the Lone Star State's governor, his office said in a statement Tuesday.

"Gov. [Rick] Perry believes in the greatness of our Union and nothing should be done to change it," his press secretary Catherine Frazier wrote in a statement to the Dallas Morning News. "But he also shares the frustrations many Americans have with our federal government.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/p...y#ixzz2C89XNtIm

#1373166 - 11/13/12 03:08 PM Re: Meanwhile, in Texas... [Re: kyle585]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Somewhere out there

Other petitions on the website take the opposite tack: an appeal to "strip the citizenship from everyone who signed a petition to secede and exile them" had just over 1,000 signatures on Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/p...y#ixzz2C8AOxib2

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >