FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1372550 --- 11/08/12 08:20 AM How Totally Disgusting
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls

Wipe that killer smile off your face. This was a beautiful animal that lived in the wild not something for you to kill for enjoyment.

FingerLakes1.com
#1372555 --- 11/08/12 08:32 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Forest Girl Offline

Loc: The Heights
I don't know if, based upon your name, you're being sarcastic but the photo did make me sad. I just don't feel that the population is large enough to warrant hunting in upstate NY. I believe that it's more about generating the revenue from the license fees. I stopped believing that the DEC cares about NY wildlife a long time ago. It always comes down to money.

#1372557 --- 11/08/12 08:45 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Forest Girl]
RigaMortis Offline

As long as he's eating it - I don't really have a problem with this. But if he's just hunting for sport he should be ashamed. Saw huge buck cross 318 this morning, had to be a 12 pointer or more, running north towards the camp grounds by the thruway exit. Almost took him out! Or he would have taken me out, telling you - Huge, thought it was a Caribou or a Moose for a moment.

#1372558 --- 11/08/12 08:46 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Forest Girl]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

I hate how first he killed it with a bow which is the most painful killing method for animals, then dragged it to the tree and threw it up there to show his "trophy"

I am serious on this one - I hate this senseless killing.

#1372560 --- 11/08/12 08:57 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: RigaMortis]
Forest Girl Offline

I've had bear and I don't really care much for it. I'm always happy to have venison in the freezer, though I think that the number of nuisance permits that have been issued have had an impact on our population. I really love pheasant--I just wish that we had more of them around.

#1372561 --- 11/08/12 09:06 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
I wonder how long this poor animal suffered? Why did they post this picture?

Edited by FL1 Mod 2 (11/08/12 12:40 PM)

#1372565 --- 11/08/12 10:22 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Hard Corps Offline

Loc: The Village
Now that is an awesome kill! I got one about that size like 6 years ago. It tasted awesome. I now have a bear skin rug in my den. Hanging on the wall above it is a nice white deer head I got a couple years ago.

Did you know that white deer tastes like brown deer?

#1372589 --- 11/08/12 12:26 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Mr. Macoute Offline

Loc: seneca county
I tried bear once but I thought it was grizzily. The last time I went bear hunting I saw saw a road sign that said bear left so I turned around and went home.

#1372595 --- 11/08/12 12:51 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Mr. Macoute]
Hard Corps Offline

Now that is funny. HAHA!

#1372601 --- 11/08/12 02:12 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: nomi]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
why was my post edited ? The first time for me!! Would you like to see the documents that support what I say?

#1372604 --- 11/08/12 02:22 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: nomi]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
This was a beautiful animal that lived in the wild not something for you to kill for enjoyment.
His family is eating it.

I hate how first he killed it with a bow which is the most painful killing method for animals, then dragged it to the tree and threw it up there to show his "trophy"

How the hell would you know about it being painful. Arrows kill not from an impact of a projectile burning it's way through and busting every organ it's near. Nope it just bleeds to death.
JMHO Anti-hunters suck but eat a big steak anytime.

#1372610 --- 11/08/12 03:00 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]

Originally Posted By: Dr. Sarcassm Esq

Wipe that killer smile off your face. This was a beautiful animal that lived in the wild not something for you to kill for enjoyment.
If you are that disgusted with the story and photo, why did you post it then?

#1372624 --- 11/08/12 05:53 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
Originally Posted By: Dr. Sarcassm Esq
I am serious on this one - I hate this senseless killing.
Bow season in the southern tier runs Oct 1 to Nov 16. On Nov 17, gun season opens.

This should be a good weekend to sight in the guns. The only senseless shooting is that which does not hit what one aims at.

Happy hunting.

#1372667 --- 11/09/12 06:10 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: nomi]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Originally Posted By: nomi
why was my post edited ? The first time for me!! Would you like to see the documents that support what I say?

not really....documents put together by anti hunting advocates,hardly bi-partisan in nature.....hunting is a way of life and many use it to feed their families, get over it.....BTW do you feel the same pain for the animal that was slaughtered so you could get that thick piece of Prime Rib?

what about these wild boars.....how about we let them run around.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Wild-boars-spotted-in-Utica/zZsvPhaXRkukdyqbbfdeiQ.cspx

#1372687 --- 11/09/12 08:52 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
44mag Offline

Loc: Backass Alley
A successful hunt for this hunter, glad the photo was posted. DEC probably is permitting bear hunting so they do not become a nuisance. No natural predators I am aware of.

#1372691 --- 11/09/12 09:31 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: 44mag]
Hard Corps Offline

All you anti-hunters can run along to the store and buy your meat now.

#1372700 --- 11/09/12 10:30 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Hard Corps]
44mag Offline

Loc: Backass Alley
Think we will have either venison or wild turkey tonight either one very delicious!!

#1372701 --- 11/09/12 10:36 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Hard Corps]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
I saw this photo and showed all my hunter friends that I work with. Hunting is a sport, also used to feed families and other uses. I'm not a hunter and I used to not be so much for it, but I'd rather see animals be hunted than starve in the wild because of overpopulation, or hit in the roadways for the same reason. I applauded this man on his hunt. A beautiful bear and I'm sure he will not waste it and I'm also sure that he will respect it in such a way that it becomes a monument in his home. I hope y'all don't eat meat or wear leather shoes, etc...

Will hunting solve nuisance bear problems?

If recreational hunting is to play a role in alleviating or controlling nuisance bear situations, such hunting must either: (1) reduce the bear population to levels where damage is eliminated or reduced to acceptable levels, (2) target specific bears or groups of bears involved in damage, or (3) function as an aversive conditioning technique to "teach" bears to cease offensive behavior.

Hunting is often considered to be a management tool, rather than solely a recreational pursuit. Hunting is often the cheapest method, license fees support the managing agency's activities, and fees and associated expenses place a value on the hunted animal, while damage-control kills devalue it. Hunting is rarely the only management option available but can be a useful component of an overall program, in addition to the cultural and social values inherent in recreational hunting. If hunting is necessary as a bear management tool, then we must necessarily: (1) understand the impact of hunting on bear behavior and population dynamics, (2) effectively regulate bear seasons to adjust harvest levels and sex and age composition, and (3) identify and target the desired population component. Our ability to address these aspects is often limited.

Clearly, there are historical examples where black bear numbers have been significantly reduced by overhunting-even without bounties or predator-control agents-particularly in localized areas. In general, modeling suggests that a black bear population can sustain a maximum harvest of 14 to 16%. If the management objective is to exceed such harvest level and reduce "overpopulation", then the managing agency must have the ability to accrue sufficient numbers of hunters; manipulate season length, timing, and bag limits; and implement those hunting techniques which will be effective in harvesting sufficient numbers of bears. In areas with high bear populations, localized hunting may create a sink effect, perpetuating the nuisance activity which stimulated the hunting process. Conversely, unhunted areas may be a source for bears which move into adjacent huntable regions. In 1997, 81 bears were killed in Sevier County, Tennessee, most within the city limits of Gatlinburg which supported a large number of food-conditioned bears. Hunting is probably a poor means to teach bears to avoid people or nuisance behavior. Speculation persists that bears in heavily hunted areas are more "wary" than those where hunting is absent, perhaps by selectively removing bold bears while those predisposed to avoid people survive, or when bears are shot at but missed. These hypotheses cannot be rigorously tested due to subjective impressions, unquantified statements, and short-term observations. Behavioral changes resulting from food-conditioning may have greater influence on "wariness" than does hunting. Others have suggested that bears respond to human behaviors and avoid hunters because of the hunters' audacious or domineering demeanor. Bears may also exhibit a conditioned response to audible cues, such as the click of a firearm's safety. While bears can undoubtedly learn and respond to human behaviors and sounds, these learned responses may simply cause bears to avoid certain people or locations, but not terminate offending behavior elsewhere.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/facts/mammals/bear/black_bear_problem_faq.htm#prob10

Sport hunting is a valid recreational pursuit with deep roots in human culture. Hunting can also play a distinct role in wildlife management when goals and objectives are clearly defined and attainable, knowledge of the animal's population dynamics is available, and methodology is sufficient to the task. Stakeholder understanding and support is essential in order to avoid socio-political challenges to management actions.

Isaac Asimov

#1372716 --- 11/09/12 12:12 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: SportsRef1]
Cuzi Sedso Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: SportsRef1
what about these wild boars.....how about we let them run around.
But we do let them run around... one of 'em is named Harley!

#1372850 --- 11/10/12 10:32 AM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: Dizzyt]
Forest Girl Offline

Originally Posted By: Dizzyt
I saw this photo and showed all my hunter friends that I work with. Hunting is a sport, also used to feed families and other uses. I'm not a hunter and I used to not be so much for it, but I'd rather see animals be hunted than starve in the wild because of overpopulation, or hit in the roadways for the same reason. I applauded this man on his hunt. A beautiful bear and I'm sure he will not waste it and I'm also sure that he will respect it in such a way that it becomes a monument in his home. I hope y'all don't eat meat or wear leather shoes, etc...

Will hunting solve nuisance bear problems?

Thank you for the valuable lesson in wildlife management. However, my point is that here in the Finger Lakes we do not have a nuisance bear problem. I'll even go as far as to say that the majority of people who hunt bear here are not doing it to put food on the table. It's hunting for sport, and I just personally don't agree with the practice. I have friends and family who feel otherwise. To each their own.

#1372872 --- 11/10/12 02:44 PM Re: How Totally Disgusting [Re: nomi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Would you like to see the documents that support what I say?

Of course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >