FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1372324 --- 11/06/12 11:05 PM How about that Romney Landslide?
Reinhart Faust Offline

Loc: This Island Earth
Gotta love those Vegas wishful thinkers odds makers.

Howdy folks. I didn't stop by tonight after nearly three years to gloat. Well, maybe a little. You guys could have been a little more gracious in '04. I came to make a serious point.

The old saying goes that you're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. One of the reasons I left these forums was because I was tired of debating people who had their own facts. You can't debate honestly and intelligently with people who cannot be made to accept certain basic objective realities. These people instead live in a comfortable, insulated bubble, sheltered from all facts that might upset their worldview.

In the bubble taxes and regulations are killing business and preventing job creation, even though outside the bubble taxes are at all time lows and regulations are at their most lax in decades.

In the bubble giving more money to corporations and the wealthiest people are the only things that will get them to create more jobs, even though outside the bubble their profits are already at all time highs.

In the bubble You can cut deficits by cutting taxes and increasing military spending, even though outside the bubble, well, math is math.

In the bubble global warming is a myth even though outside the bubble an overwhelming majority of climate scientists disagree and the arguments and articles claiming to debunk global warming are plainly bogus to all who aren't determined in advance to remain in denial.

In the bubble evolution is just a theory, even though outside the bubble it has more evidence to support it than gravity and the germ theory of disease.

In the bubble Barack Obama is foreign born, even though outside the bubble he isn't.

In the bubble the tea party will help get America back on the right track of creating jobs and getting the debt under control, even though outside the bubble all they've given us are anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage bills.

And yes, in the bubble Mitt Romney was going to win by a landslide.

I don't say these things to needle or provoke anyone. I say this because I hope tonight sets an important example. Simply ignoring reality doesn't make it go away. Telling yourself Romney was going to win in a landslide didn't make it happen. Just like telling yourselves that supply side economics works doesn't make it so, or that the earth is really cooling doesn't make it so.

There's a certain adolescent appeal to the idea of "going Galt"; of throwing up your hands and just saying "screw you, we're done carrying your asses, you're on your own." Feels good to think it sometimes, but it's not true. I want you to leave the bubble and join us in the real world because the truth is that we need you. We can't fix our problems without your help.

We can agree on this much: The country isn't in good shape. We do have a debt problem. We do have too many people out of work. We do need to reform immigration and education and health care and a lot of other stuff. But before we can do that you have to leave the bubble and join us in the real world.

Please don't make me wait another four years.

FingerLakes1.com
#1372326 --- 11/06/12 11:55 PM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Reinhart Faust]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Hi RF! Great to hear from you again!

Let me just say "Well stated." I think you summed up very nicely what many of us are still trying to get across here.

BTW, I suspect that your "Bubble" example comes from someone who happens to be one of my favorite comedians and political pundits. \:\)

#1372329 --- 11/07/12 04:35 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Reinhart Faust]
Zorn Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: Reinhart Faust
I didn't stop by tonight after nearly three years to gloat. Well, maybe a little. You guys could have been a little more gracious in '04. I came to make a serious point.

The old saying goes that you're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. One of the reasons I left these forums was because I was tired of debating people who had their own facts. You can't debate honestly and intelligently with people who cannot be made to accept certain basic objective realities. These people instead live in a comfortable, insulated bubble, sheltered from all facts that might upset their worldview.

Huh, that's why I left these forums too. Although, I DID come to gloat, because I know Harley will read this at some point, so he can hear me say HAHAHAHAHAHA!

#1372330 --- 11/07/12 04:35 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Reinhart Faust]
Zorn Offline

Loc: ny
I didn't stop by tonight after nearly three years to gloat. Well, maybe a little. You guys could have been a little more gracious in '04. I came to make a serious point.

Huh, that's why I left these forums too. Although, I DID come to gloat, because I know Harley will read this at some point, so he can hear me say HAHAHAHAHAHA!

#1372336 --- 11/07/12 05:52 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Reinhart Faust]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County

Howdy folks. I didn't stop by tonight after nearly three years to gloat. Well, maybe a little. You guys could have been a little more gracious in '04. I came to make a serious point.

In the bubble taxes and regulations are killing business and preventing job creation, even though outside the bubble taxes are at all time lows and regulations are at their most lax in decades.

In the bubble giving more money to corporations and the wealthiest people are the only things that will get them to create more jobs, even though outside the bubble their profits are already at all time highs.

In the bubble You can cut deficits by cutting taxes and increasing military spending, even though outside the bubble, well, math is math.

In the bubble global warming is a myth even though outside the bubble an overwhelming majority of climate scientists disagree and the arguments and articles claiming to debunk global warming are plainly bogus to all who aren't determined in advance to remain in denial.

In the bubble evolution is just a theory, even though outside the bubble it has more evidence to support it than gravity and the germ theory of disease.

In the bubble Barack Obama is foreign born, even though outside the bubble he isn't.

In the bubble the tea party will help get America back on the right track of creating jobs and getting the debt under control, even though outside the bubble all they've given us are anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage bills.

I don't say these things to needle or provoke anyone. I say this because I hope tonight sets an important example. Simply ignoring reality doesn't make it go away. Telling yourself Romney was going to win in a landslide didn't make it happen. Just like telling yourselves that supply side economics works doesn't make it so, or that the earth is really cooling doesn't make it so.

There's a certain adolescent appeal to the idea of "going Galt"; of throwing up your hands and just saying "screw you, we're done carrying your asses, you're on your own." Feels good to think it sometimes, but it's not true. I want you to leave the bubble and join us in the real world because the truth is that we need you. We can't fix our problems without your help.

We can agree on this much: The country isn't in good shape. We do have a debt problem. We do have too many people out of work. We do need to reform immigration and education and health care and a lot of other stuff. But before we can do that you have to leave the bubble and join us in the real world.

so now we probably end up with a lame duck President for at least 2 years and possibly 4.....if "O", Bohener and Reid cant find a way to moderate then America suffers more......the most amazing part of last nights election is that for nearly 4 years everyone complained about gridlock in DC yet the American voter returned one incumbent right after another and changed very little.....a sad state of affairs......hopefully for America those 3 schmucks can find a way to moderate or we fall deeper into the hole of AMERICANTS rather than AMERICANS!....JMO.

#1372338 --- 11/07/12 06:46 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: SportsRef1]
Ohithere Offline

Originally Posted By: SportsRef1

so now we probably end up with a lame duck President for at least 2 years and possibly 4.....if "O", Bohener and Reid cant find a way to moderate then America suffers more......the most amazing part of last nights election is that for nearly 4 years everyone complained about gridlock in DC yet the American voter returned one incumbent right after another and changed very little.....a sad state of affairs......hopefully for America those 3 schmucks can find a way to moderate or we fall deeper into the hole of AMERICANTS rather than AMERICANS!....JMO.

We could end up with two scenarios before Obama's next four years end. The economy could continue in the positive direction (some will debate that)or possibly the worst is yet to come. Mr. Faust, your posting was very eloquent and thought out,reminding us that "bubbles" are clearly one of our country's failing. 50% of the voters emphatically and clearly stated that they are tired of the name calling, race baiting and overall negatives that are prevailing,much of it coming from the Conservative side. Sportref, I will be betting on the country and those that have voiced their opinions last night.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/polit...s-fate/1688539/

#1372341 --- 11/07/12 07:00 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Ohithere]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
es mi bienestar marque aquí todavía?

#1372344 --- 11/07/12 07:09 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: ovidtech]
Ohithere Offline

Originally Posted By: ovidtech

Usted no está demasiado brillantes son usted

#1372345 --- 11/07/12 07:13 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Reinhart Faust]

#1372346 --- 11/07/12 07:15 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Zorn]

Originally Posted By: Zorn

But you never left the forum, you just changed your user name!

#1372348 --- 11/07/12 07:38 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Ohithere]
ovidtech Offline

Originally Posted By: Ohithere

Bright enough to know what trouble our republic is in. The takers from many nations are streaming ashore everyday when we have our own homegrown ones that don't seem to have a conscience. Thats just scratching the surface of our problems.

#1372351 --- 11/07/12 07:53 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: ovidtech]
Ohithere Offline

Bright enough to know what trouble our republic is in. The takers from many nations are streaming ashore everyday when we have our own homegrown ones that don't seem to have a conscience. Thats just scratching the surface of our problems.

You sound more like an disgruntle,immature loser and nothing else. I came into this election being fully aware that my candidate would lose but I'm less apprehensive now that Romney was defeated. Your temperamental rantings won't move the numbers in your favor. I heard this morning that Donald Trump wants to march on Washington,maybe a group of you can take a drive down before the storm.

#1372353 --- 11/07/12 08:45 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Ohithere]
ovidtech Offline

I too knew my candidate would lose but voted my conscience. I don't consider what I say to be rantings but you are welcome to interpret them anyway your little mind wants. Done with fools.

#1372356 --- 11/07/12 09:38 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: ovidtech]
Ohithere Offline

I too knew my candidate would lose but voted my conscience. I don't consider what I say to be rantings but you are welcome to interpret them anyway your little mind wants. Done with fools.

;\) You sound just like my 6 year old niece talking to her 9 year old brother.

#1372367 --- 11/07/12 10:07 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Ohithere]

ahahahahahahah...looks like a lot of people have your number.

#1372373 --- 11/07/12 10:14 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Ohithere]
KarchK Offline

Loc: NY
The headline on CNN webpage right now says "Job creation and unity are tops on the "to do list" for obama." WTF were the last 4 years for? what a joke.

#1372374 --- 11/07/12 10:18 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: ]
Cuzi Sedso Offline

Loc: NY
And what was your number Harley, 264?

#1372376 --- 11/07/12 10:20 AM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: ]
Ohithere Offline

Originally Posted By: Chicago Jesus

Don't know about that but while we're on the subject, I do belive that I have more than just your number.....unless you've changed that recently.

#1372417 --- 11/07/12 12:28 PM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: Ohithere]

Originally Posted By: Chicago Jesus

Don't know about that but while we're on the subject, I do belive believe that I have more than just your number.....unless you've changed that recently.
Give me a call anytime you want...

#1372421 --- 11/07/12 12:44 PM Re: How about that Romney Landslide? [Re: ]
Ohithere Offline

Better yet, lunch on me. Heck I'll splurge on a Big Mac,you can even super size the drink and fries..Lets say the Ovid McDonald, you'll have to pay for my gas to get up there though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >